ADVERTISEMENT

Angel To Work Out with Hawks

puppy-not-impressed-1-630x350.jpg

I absolutely doubt he is going pro.Certainly not 100%, but word is and has been for a long time everyone expects him back at the Hall.

These workouts happen all the time and give the players an understanding if they are ready or not.

This will be a very good experience for him.

I still don't think he's going anywhere, but the following quote did raise my eyebrow. Nearly the exact same thing Whitehead said last year.

“I think they will be a perfect team without me or with me,” he said. “I think Seton Hall’s coach is doing a really great job. And with me or without me, I think they will be really good.”

Whether he leaves this year or next year...it better be a while before they re-issue his jersey number to someone else here.

Reactions: VioletPirate
It would be great for the program if Angel can get to the league, but more importantly it would be great for Angel

It would be great for the program if Angel can get to the league, but more importantly it would be great for Angel
LOL. I would never begrudge anyone this opportunity, especially a kid like AD, but it would NOT be good for our program if he leaves this year.

Reactions: SHUSource
I mean big picture. It would be great for the program if he makes it after next year.

It's important for recruiting to have a proven track record of getting players to the NBA.

LOL. I would never begrudge anyone this opportunity, especially a kid like AD, but it would NOT be good for our program if he leaves this year.
I think it is a win win situation. If he stays great. If he goes we developed an NBA player. My wish is that he gets a chance to play at the top level whether next year or the year after.

I think it is a win win situation. If he stays great. If he goes we developed an NBA player. My wish is that he gets a chance to play at the top level whether next year or the year after.
Selfishly I'm not sure I can handle another year where the best player leaves early with a promising season on the horizon if they stay(ed)...

Whitehead left a gaping hole this year, but the hole Delgado would leave would be wider imo with what is currently on the roster up front.

If Angel got drafted, it most likely would be second round. It would be in his best interests to take advantage of the huge national spotlight that's going to be on him this coming college season. If the Hall goes far, Angel might find his way into the first round next year.

Reactions: Piratz
Weve had plenty of players try out for teams. Teams do their due diligence. Im fairly confident he has minimal serious interest from the NBA. To just be matter of fact

He's coming back and this will be a great experience for him working out with NBA players.

i mean, the hawks do love unathletic PFs that cant jump. but i guess millsap can shoot.
Lol! How many times did Millsap have his shot blocked last night!
But great experience for Angel, he will get a lot of valuable feedback. Hope he returns but wish only good things for Angel.

Lol! How many times did Millsap have his shot blocked last night!
But great experience for Angel, he will get a lot of valuable feedback. Hope he returns but wish only good things for Angel.
Yes a very smart move too. if you can do it why not?

I still don't think he's going anywhere, but the following quote did raise my eyebrow. Nearly the exact same thing Whitehead said last year.

“I think they will be a perfect team without me or with me,” he said. “I think Seton Hall’s coach is doing a really great job. And with me or without me, I think they will be really good.”

In hindsight, it should have done more than raise my eyebrow. Oh well, we just can't have nice things around here. Every time we get close to putting it together, we get punched in the gut.

Reactions: mbraue
It's sickening that his agents have him believing he'll get drafted..

I wonder if we go back to last May 10th if there was much belief Whitehead would be drafted. Even if Angel isn't a projected pick right this second, he's going to move up as players withdraw from the draft. It only takes one team to like him, but I think it's going to have to be one of the teams with the 50th-60th pick. I think we all want our coach to recruit players who will leave to chase their NBA dreams. Right or wrong choice only time will tell, I just hope the kid has no regrets now or 20 years from now.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I wonder if we go back to last May 10th if there was much belief Whitehead would be drafted. Even if Angel isn't a projected pick right this second, he's going to move up as players withdraw from the draft. It only takes one team to like him, but I think it's going to have to be one of the teams with the 50th-60th pick. I think we all want our coach to recruit players who will leave to chase their NBA dreams. Right or wrong choice only time will tell, I just hope the kid has no regrets now or 20 years from now.
I don't think he's in the top 80 right now... if my memory serves me correct the gripe with IW is that some thought he should have stayed one more year to get in first and not settle for 2nd round. On may 10th last year IW was invited to combine(aka NBA teams were interested)

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Whitehead also waited until the process played out...I think he officially declared May 24th. Not sure why Delgado has decided to rush the decision.

Whitehead was on some draft boards in R2, invited to Combine, etc.
Yes some draft boards. There was no guarantee he was going to get drafted. I hope for Angel's sake somebody knows something about NBA teams going more after big men this year or something that works in Angel's favor so he does get a chance.

This board was 90/10 against iw leaving and thought he was ruining his life. ..

Less than that. Probably 90/10 on Delgado. After his sophomore season, Whitehead looked like an NBA player, and was on DraftExpress' board (albeit 2nd round). Turns out the Nets were going to take care of him, and treat him like a high first round draft pick. If that agreement is in place for Angel, good for him, and we'll all be happy to have two SHU guys in the league. But this sounds like some shyster agent flashed some green in front of his face, and has him hoping, without reason, that his name will be called on draft day.

Reactions: Pirate 81
Halldan so then you lied? I believe you noted the Pelicans also guaranteed they would take him in 2nd rd?

Far too many agents out there don't have the players interest first and foremost as there primary concern is their fee for representing the player. The more players they sign the better the odds that one of them will become a player who gets that fat second contract.

Watched a nets end of season program where the nets coach said at the end of the year that IW was the 6 or 7th best player on the team. Let's not pretend 6th or 7th on a 20 win team is a slam dunk to have a long NBA career. The nets draft a playmaker this year, and a few guys get healthy and IW could be headed to the D league as the nets originally planned. Im not betting against IW to succeed, but at the end of the day the Nets didn't make a huge investment in him, so it's still going to be an uphill battle.

Knowing what we know now, if you are risk-averse, you probably make that jump, but A LOT of things went his way - Lin & Vasquez getting hurt, the nets not competing, etc.

On the other hand, if he came back, won BE player of the year and got us a few tourney wins, he's likely a late first rounder which is a much bigger investment, and an investment from a better team.

Listened to a Dehere interview a few years back where he lamented being drafted by the clippers. Said if he went to a better organization, think he mentioned the spurs, he'd have been set up for a longer career because they would have emphasized his strengths (have David Robinson kick it out to him to hit threes) instead of expose his weaknesses (trying to do too much with the Clippers). My fear is the Nets choose a different path in a year or two, and the rest of the NBA GMs see the weaknesses exposed in playing too many minutes on a bad team, and he doesn't get that second contract.

You can read some of the coach's commentary on IW from the end of the year presser in this article. http://nothinbutnets.com/2017/05/03/brooklyn-nets-grade-isaiah-whitehead/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT