ADVERTISEMENT

Angel To Work Out with Hawks

This board was 90/10 against iw leaving and thought he was ruining his life. ..
There is a big difference between IW and Delgado. With Whitehead, I don't think many (if any) questioned that the NBA ability was there. Many (including myself) thought with the way he played down the stretch last year (NCAA tourney game aside) that with another year in college he had a chance to play himself into the 1st Round and guaranteed money. Obviously he got a guarantee from the Nets and rolled the dice. It has worked out as they were terrible so he got a lot of time and ability to show his stuff this year. I was also selfishly hoping he would stay so The Hall could have had a "magical" type season/run...

With Delgado, the talent to play at the NBA level is the question. Can he rebound? Yes. Can he do much else at this point, especially versus NBA talent? The jury is more than out. He was horribly exposed as a defensive liability in the NCAA game vs Arkansas. Imagine what an NBA 4-5 would do to him. Nobody is sure the rebounding will translate to the NBA either. The 4-5's are much more athletic and can overcome being out positioned more than college guys can. Maybe it will/would translate - who knows.

Obviously it sounds like he;s going because he has a fallback of $ playing in the DR or overseas. But to the comparison of what folks thought about Whitehead staying in the draft versus Delgado staying in, it's an apples to oranges comparison IMO.

On the other hand, if he came back, won BE player of the year and got us a few tourney wins, he's likely a late first rounder which is a much bigger investment, and an investment from a better team.

IW got a better contract than a late first round pick will get this year.

Reactions: shupat08
I didn't take the 120% multiplier into effect, he's still pretty much at a late first round pick salary.

I didn't take the 120% multiplier into effect, he's still pretty much at a late first round pick salary.
I have to admit, I had no clue he got ~$1mm until I looked it up after your post. Good for him... I still think comparing IW to Delgado is apples to oranges. IW always had NBA talent, it was timing that was my issue. Thankfully it worked out for him.

Isaiah Whitehead/Salary
2016 $967,515 USD

Whithead did well, but at least he was on the radar. Delgado is not. So if he does well, wow, that'd be something.

I have to admit, I had no clue he got ~$1mm until I looked it up after your post. Good for him... I still think comparing IW to Delgado is apples to oranges. IW always had NBA talent, it was timing that was my issue. Thankfully it worked out for him.

Isaiah Whitehead/Salary
2016 $967,515 USD

I see IW's salary as $1,074,145 for this past season.

Yea, my point was you could still question the Whitehead decision, and it really turned out to be a best case scenario no one envisioned at the time. But even considering that, there are long term risks.

For Delgado, I can't imagine a best case scenario that has him playing 23 mins on a NBA team with a guaranteed contract without a strike occurring.

Watched a nets end of season program where the nets coach said at the end of the year that IW was the 6 or 7th best player on the team. Let's not pretend 6th or 7th on a 20 win team is a slam dunk to have a long NBA career. The nets draft a playmaker this year, and a few guys get healthy and IW could be headed to the D league as the nets originally planned. Im not betting against IW to succeed, but at the end of the day the Nets didn't make a huge investment in him, so it's still going to be an uphill battle.

The Nets switch first round picks with the Celtics. (Btw, what a great trade to give away for 3 years their #1 draft pick for three over the hill guys to ruin the franchise) So they will get a low first round pick. I am sure Whitehead will be better than any low first round pick PG that could be available at that time.

This board was 90/10 against iw leaving and thought he was ruining his life. ..

I'm sure the same argument Roc Nation made. Problem is not every situation will end up like that and the one that doesn't will be devastating to the player.

Halldan so then you lied? I believe you noted the Pelicans also guaranteed they would take him in 2nd rd?
I noted that during the 2nd round the Pelican contacted him and said they were going to take him with their upcoming pick.

Not the same thing.

You have been banned once and came back under a different name. I suggest you chose your words more carefully because you are one sentence from never posting here again!!!!!

Isaiah Whitehead/Salary
2016 $967,515 USD
Honestly watching IW play the second half of his last season and then in the BET I didn't see a way he'd be staying. I can't say that about Angel.

Honestly watching IW play the second half of his last season and then in the BET I didn't see a way he'd be staying. I can't say that about Angel.

Exactly. I didn't see how Whitehead wasn't a surefire first round pick after his play in the second half of last year. I thought his game, size, and athleticism translated to the NBA.

With Delgado I think he's a great college player but I don't see his game fitting into the current NBA. With another year of development he may have gotten himself to that level.

For asking a ?
No, for sarcastically stating I lied. Look, everyone knows what you do here. You even admitted that you make false comments to get a rise out of me and others.

If I were you I wouldn't even answer this post because you are now 1 word from never posting here again.

I noted that during the 2nd round the Pelican contacted him and said they were going to take him with their upcoming pick.

Not the same thing.

You have been banned once and came back under a different name. I suggest you chose your words more carefully because you are one sentence from never posting here again!!!!!
I went to the Kentucky Derby this past weekend. Tremendous pageantry and great crowds. My tickets were front and center in the grand stands. All twenty horses came thundering out of the gate past 100,00 people hollering in unison !!

As the horse charged past the grandstands I was startled to see MJS429 on the buttocks of every single horse in the race.

I thought to myself - if only he could be here he would be so proud.. finally got the recognition he was seeking at a prime time sporting event !!

Reactions: SPK145
Whithead did well, but at least he was on the radar. Delgado is not. So if he does well, wow, that'd be something.

How many underclassmen 2nd rounders made a good choice going pro? I think the answer to that question will show how blessed Isaiah is to be a Net. 2nd rounders are not guaranteed anything. If you are not in the right situation, you end up in the D-League or going overseas anyway.

Reactions: Piratz
Totally agree, SHUHoopsFan. Whitehead was a unicorn and then circumstances broke in his favor this year when he was able to get the playing time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT