ADVERTISEMENT

As I see it

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
1. Connecticut 13-2
When Clingan comes back I can't see anything else but this. Even without him they're probably the best team in conference.

2. Marquette 11-4
Still a very good team but not as good as I originally believed.

3. Creighton 11-4
Might reach #2 or might drop a notch or two.

4. St. John's 11-4
Love him or hate him Pitino is special.

5. Villanova 10-5
Will probably move up when Moore comes back.

6. Seton Hall 10-5
Hey, it my list so shut up. 😁

7. Providence 11-4
Gonna drop without Hopkins

8. Xavier 7-7
They can legitimately be ranked a notch or two higher.

9. Butler 10-5
Just not sold on the Bulldogs moving forward. Three Ls in a row with Marquette on the road next.

10. Georgetown 8-7
Cooley says thank God for DePaul.

11. DePaul 3-11
DePaul has no one to thank God for.

Reactions: PROF Ed
I think we're better than Butler and Georgetown but we're on the road against them this week.Need to show up and play hard and well.Have to beat the lesser teams on the road.

I like Dan’s list. Let’s see if Prov can regroup without Hopkins. It sometimes takes a few games to figure out how to play when you lose a kid if that caliber because he did everything for them in a key spot. They have a pretty talented roster overall though.

Also Nova with and without Moore has been interesting. They’ve played well/won at times without him and played worse with him. An odd dynamic for a player like that.

Reactions: LBP43
1. Connecticut
2. Creighton
3. Marquette
4. St. John's
5. Providence
6. Villanova
7. Seton Hall
8. Xavier
9. Butler
10. Georgetown
11. DePaul

This is now very hard to do.

1 - UCONN
2 - Marquette
3 - Creighton
4 - Villanova - Not by much
5 - St. John's - Rising
6 - Seton Hall - Rising
7 - Butler
8 - Providence - Falling plus no Hopkins puts them here
9 - Xavier

10 - Georgetown
11 - DePaul

Reactions: PROF Ed
1. Connecticut
2. Marquette
3. Creighton
4. St. John's
5. Seton Hall
6. Villanova
7. Butler
8. Xavier
9. Providence (without Hopkins)
10. Georgetown
11. DePaul

I expect that's how the season will finish as well heading into the BET, barring any major injuries.

Why not? They're rated better in every objective measurement.
Just my opinion . I think we’re a better team. watched them multiple times this year. Watching them vs providence right now. I’m Really not impressed by them. As they get into the thick of the big east, I expect them to struggle.

Most impressive thing about them is how often the refs swallow their whistle as St. John’s fouls every single play on defense

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Just my opinion . I think we’re a better team. watched them multiple times this year. Watching them vs providence right now. I’m Really not impressed by them. As they get into the thick of the big east, I expect them to struggle.

Most impressive thing about them is how often the refs swallow their whistle as St. John’s fouls every single play on defense
Many people say the exact same thing about SHU

Look, I hate SJU more than any Seton Hall opponent. But they've been very impressive to date and have a HOF coach.
All seriousness what’s been that impressive. Didn’t have any big wins in conference play. Almost lost to Hofstra. Lost to UConn without Clingan. Beat a mid level Xavier and butler team. Beat nova without their best player. beat Providence without their best player in a one possession game

Reactions: silkcitypirate
All seriousness what’s been that impressive. Didn’t have any big wins in conference play. Almost lost to Hofstra. Lost to UConn without Clingan. Beat a mid level Xavier and butler team. Beat nova without their best player. beat Providence without their best player in a one possession game

Clearly on an upward trajectory. Strong non-conference win over Utah. Easily beat a Xavier team that smoked Seton Hall. Nearly won on the road at UConn. Won convincingly at Villanova. Won 10 of last 12 games after a 2-2 start.

Reactions: TheHall87
Clearly on an upward trajectory. Strong non-conference win over Utah. Easily beat a Xavier team that smoked Seton Hall. Nearly won on the road at UConn. Won convincingly at Villanova. Won 10 of last 12 games after a 2-2 start.
I think they lose on the road to Creighton, and lose at our place because they never beat us there. But Pitino has them playing pretty well.

Utah is a better non-conference win than any we have. By a lot.

Hofstra is better (metrics wise) than either St. Peter's or Monmouth who we struggled with. Hofstra's NET is better than Missouri's for that matter. Hell, we struggled with Georgetown who may be worse than all of those teams.

That mid-level Xavier team beat us by 20.

You can make the argument that if Clingan and Hopkins are able to play a full game, we lose to both UConn and PC.

Those are the arguments that others are making when comparing us to SJU.

I haven't watched a ton of SJU but watched a good chunk of tonight's game. They looked like we did last night. Great for parts of the game, not good for others. I suspect when you really come down to it, neither team is appreciably better than the other.

Reactions: dehere23 and shu09
I’ve seen St. John’s play a few times. They’re a notch above us right now, IMO. I despise them too, @shu09 and hope we beat them.

They’ve got a lot of options, especially in areas we don’t, which is forward. The UMass transfer RJ Luis is a nightmare, he might be their best player. Dude is long, athletic, and highly skilled. He’s like the Tauren Thompson dreamed of, LOL. And Jenkins hasn’t shot well, but you can see the type of player he’ll be. Their backcourt is solid, I don’t think it’s as good as Seton Hall’s when Dawes is going well. Ledlum will annoy the hell out of us. Obviously Soriano can be a beast.

Reactions: shu09
Except record. Haven’t beaten a ranked team. Only games in common they split. We are 2-0 (prov & UConn). *Correction we’re both 2-1. Didn’t see they played X.

I have St. John's ahead of Seton Hall right now but not by much at all.

I’ve seen St. John’s play a few times. They’re a notch above us right now, IMO. I despise them too, @shu09 and hope we beat them.

They’ve got a lot of options, especially in areas we don’t, which is forward. The UMass transfer RJ Luis is a nightmare, he might be their best player. Dude is long, athletic, and highly skilled. He’s like the Tauren Thompson dreamed of, LOL. And Jenkins hasn’t shot well, but you can see the type of player he’ll be. Their backcourt is solid, I don’t think it’s as good as Seton Hall’s when Dawes is going well. Ledlum will annoy the hell out of us. Obviously Soriano can be a beast.
I like Soriano, obviously. I like their depth. And most of all they are coached by Pitino.

Except record. Haven’t beaten a ranked team. Only games in common they split. We are 2-0 (prov & UConn). *Correction we’re both 2-1. Didn’t see they played X.

St. John's has a better record than Seton Hall. 12-4 vs. 11-5.

Hate to agree, but they are a dangerous team. In conference play, they are at or near the top in offensive and defensive efficiency. Only category they are not so hot in is FT shooting.

On the eye test and the analytic comparison SJU gets the nod. On the other hand Ill take SHU beating UConn by 15, taking down #7 Marquette and winning up at Providence over a sound win at Villanova and wins,against Xavier & West Virginia. The truth is we won't really know until they play each other.

U Conn
Creighton
Villanova
Marquette
SHU. SJU
Butler
Xavier
Providence
Georgetown
DePaul

The truth is we won't really know until they play each other.
It's a tough matchup for you guys. Soriano is tough for everyone though. Big east officiating isn't going to help you. I would expect Saint Johns to be very physical in the paint to try to stop you guys from going to the basket. If those fouls get called, you'll be fine. There's no guarantee that they will be though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT