ADVERTISEMENT

bad job cuse/boeheim/cbs/vitale

NYShoreGuy

All Universe
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2006
cuse loses today, jim b skips out on postgame media session, sends in hopkins, cbs kellog/davis defend him not meeting media and vitale tweets a pro jim b message

Does that surprise you with the shameless shills known as college basketball coaches and their media lapdogs?

Vitale just went on and on about his love affair for jimmy cheater during the ville/ virginia game. Lucky I ate an early dinner.

Originally posted by SPK145:
Does that surprise you with the shameless shills known as college basketball coaches and their media lapdogs?
Did anyone really expect the usual hoard of shills to say anything different? Even the self appointed voice of all things concerning college BB Jay Bilas gave Boeheim a pass when questioned about it.

I guess the only issue that gets the shills or networks to speak out against a big time coach is pedophilia. Everything else is acceptable including rape.

Originally posted by Jerry1992:
Vitale just went on and on about his love affair for jimmy cheater during the ville/ virginia game. Lucky I ate an early dinner.
I like Vitale, but he ALWAYS is a shill for coaches. A partial list of coaches who have done no wrong in Vitale's eyes: Rick Pitino, Jim Calhoun, Dave Bliss, Jim Harrick, and now Jim Boeheim.

Originally posted by Muggsy Blue:
I guess the only issue that gets the shills or networks to speak out against a big time coach is pedophilia. Everything else is acceptable including rape.
Sad to say, even some of them looked the other way on rape too....

Originally posted by Pirate6711:

I like Vitale, but he ALWAYS is a shill for coaches. A partial list of coaches who have done no wrong in Vitale's eyes: Rick Pitino, Jim Calhoun, Dave Bliss, Jim Harrick, and now Jim Boeheim.
You forgot Calipari. Vitale has gone on record saying he's never been proven to have done anything wrong and defends him.

I don't think he has defended Dave Bliss. That would be beyond awful. Also not sure on Harrick.

Originally posted by shu09:

You forgot Calipari. Vitale has gone on record saying he's never been proven to have done anything wrong and defends him.

I don't think he has defended Dave Bliss. That would be beyond awful. Also not sure on Harrick.
"Bliss has sworn emphatically that he knew nothing of any threats made against Dennehy and Dotson."

Vitale said this even though Bliss was recorded telling his coaches to participate in a cover-up to absolve him and the program from the pandora's box that the murder opened.

He did a sit-down interview with Harrick, as a favor because of all the evidence mounting against him. Vitale was on the broadcast lead-in and post-interview talking about what a great man and great friend Harrick is. Harrick wouldn't talk to Jeremy Schapp due to him presenting facts (receipts, transcripts, test questions from courses taught by Harrick's son, etc) and picked Vitale and the questions for the interview.

Of course Calipari. Wow, how did I miss such low-hanging fruit???

I like Vitale, I really do. His defending of coaches without question is just irritating.

This morning on Mike & Mike, Bilas defended his comments on Boeheim. Some of it I agreed with (his stance on the NCAA) and some of it I didn't. I can't remember it word-for-word, but he thinks people are being hypocritical by dumping everything on Boeheim and absolving the AD, chancellor, conference leaders, and NCAA while all of this was going on at Syracuse. He also talked about how Boeheim got a very harsh punishment, with very few details being released by the NCAA. He wanted to know what the NCAA accomplished besides publicly shaming Boeheim?

The link Dan posted from Jerry Carino is an excellent commentary on the actions of the chancellor in the wake of the punishment. This is an institutional problem beyond Jim Boeheim. Many people were involved in the Fab Melo situation (to just pick an easy one).

Cuse got busted in the early 90s too. They are dirty...what a shock. And "Bo" is the guy PJ liked the best of all the coaches he knew.

Originally posted by shu09:

"Bliss has sworn emphatically that he knew nothing of any threats made against Dennehy and Dotson."

Vitale said this even though Bliss was recorded telling his coaches to participate in a cover-up to absolve him and the program from the pandora's box that the murder opened.

He did a sit-down interview with Harrick, as a favor because of all the evidence mounting against him. Vitale was on the broadcast lead-in and post-interview talking about what a great man and great friend Harrick is. Harrick wouldn't talk to Jeremy Schapp due to him presenting facts (receipts, transcripts, test questions from courses taught by Harrick's son, etc) and picked Vitale and the questions for the interview.
WOW. Thanks for finding this. Bliss is "filled with integrity and honesty." Bliss "really gives a damn about the athletes who wear the uniform he represents." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think I've laughed as hard as I just did when I read that.

I love this take on the Boeheim mess (so true):

Eric:
So Syracuse self-reported their violations to avoid most likely

harsher punishment from the NCAA. How long do you think they've known
about them and have been waiting for an off year where they probably
won't make the tournament to self-report?

I assume, like any school, they plan their violations
and punishment ALL in advance, on a meticulously arranged
timetable. "See, we pay the guys this year, then we report it in five
years, then we give some money to the local orphanage, and then we all
go to Fiji for a couple weeks!" You can do that when you're a
brand-name school like Syracuse and the NCAA doesn't really want you to
fail. I mean, look at Boeheim's statement on the matter:
Much is made in the Infractions Report regarding the actions of a
former employee of the local YMCA. As I explained to the Committee, this
individual was not someone who was allowed unique access to the Men's
Basketball Program. This was a highly regarded individual who worked for
one of the most respected organizations in the country. I cannot think
of a place where I would rather have my student-athletes spend their
free time than a community YMCA.

First of all, I don't think the Y is all THAT respected. The Y is
where you go when you can't afford a Gold's Gym membership. Take it
from me, because I belonged to a Y for five years. Hang out in a Y
locker room for more than 10 minutes and an old dude
will ask you to clip his toenails for him. Let's not go overboard in praising the Y. Secondly, there will be people who believe
this shit. They'll be like, "Aw, Boeheim was such a good dude for
trusting the YMCA. What a good-natured old man." You can get away with
this at Syracuse because it's Syracuse. They're in the club.

I was thinking about this because Dan Shaughnessy wrote a terrible
column the other day (NOTE: There is no other kind of Shank column)
excoriating UMass for honoring John Calipari when Calipari left that
program a smoldering ruin two decades ago.

Calipari's at Kentucky now, and I doubt he's changed much about how he
does business. The difference is that he's at a brand-name school now.
When you flout the rules at UMass, the NCAA is like, "Who is this
Johnny-come-lately GLORY BOY?! They must be stopped!" People get
suspicious. (And rightfully so at times: How else you gonna get a dude
to go to UMass if you don't give him free hookers?)

But when you do it at Kentucky, you aren't threatening the established

hierarchy. You can do shady shit and seem far less shady doing it. And
then you can blame it all on the YMCA pool boy. NCAA penalties are all
brand-driven: designed to punish "bad" programs (UMass) and teach "good" programs
(Syracuse) valuable lessons. There's no rhyme or reason to their
methodology except when you factor in PR.

This post was edited on 3/10 4:34 PM by HallB

Deadspin

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT