ADVERTISEMENT

Beefsteak Auction

I feel this is a legit question.
Players have to make appearances and promote events in order to earn income from their NIL. G3 Marketing engages players in activities and pays the players for their participation. Onward Setonia is billed by G3 to cover the cost of the events.

Reactions: Harty9
Players have to make appearances and promote events in order to earn income from their NIL. G3 Marketing engages players in activities and pays the players for their participation. Onward Setonia is billed by G3 to cover the cost of the events.
Just curious, as I think this was a missed opportunity, why weren’t items auctioned (jerseys, schedule posters, etc.) that were signed by the current players? You would think that would that would be the perfect definition of NIL.

There were also no dinners or other experiences offered with the coaches as in years past. Why not? I’m just trying to understand the thinking.

Overall, how did the auction do, especially compared to prior years?

Just curious, as I think this was a missed opportunity, why weren’t items auctioned (jerseys, schedule posters, etc.) that were signed by the current players? You would think that would that would be the perfect definition of NIL.

There were also no dinners or other experiences offered with the coaches as in years past. Why not? I’m just trying to understand the thinking.

Overall, how did the auction do, especially compared to prior years?
I wasn't involved in the Beefsteak as Hall Hands on Deck was running independently up until the new NIL structure was announced. The Beefsteak was run by Hall Balls Events, thus I don't have any information on how successful it was.

Future events will be organized by the new Onward Setonia NIL, and will offer experiences and benefits that we haven't offered in the past.

I will be involved in the planning and execution of events going forward, as part of the Onward Setonia NIL. The next silent auction will be at our May golf outing (information to follow), my goal is to offer items that are autographed by past and current players. It will have more Seton Hall centric offerings.

This is a legitimate question. I too believe the auction should have been more SHU centric. Short of purchasing raffle tickets from the cheerleaders I didn't bid on anything.

From everyone I spoke to the players were fantastic at the tables. Both the men and women.

I was lucky enough to sit with Kadary Richmond. Shy but really a nice kid. Next to our table was Al Dawes. He's more outgoing and I knowing him from my media credentials also had a nice long talk with him.

Both expressed a very quiet confidence in the team and in Sha's remarks that they are the best guard combo in the Big East.

I can only say in the one closed door practice I attended at least for that one day they would get no argument from me.

Reactions: walshtrips
This is a legitimate question. I too believe the auction should have been more SHU centric. Short of purchasing raffle tickets from the cheerleaders I didn't bid on anything.
Probably question #1 for McBride’s Q&A here. I’ve bought multiple framed jerseys and other memorabilia over the years. I have a Sacha jersey in my office. That stuff always sells.

You mean to tell me they couldn’t put a Kadary Richmond signed, framed jersey up for $500 and handed that $500 directly to the player? Just because in the past, it was past players, but now it’s an opportunity.

And if SHU produced a Sha jersey, he signed it, and it was framed, you couldn’t put that up annually for $750 and probably get $1000?

Missed opportunity.

I haven’t heard anything yet. What was different this year than previous beefsteaks? It was billed as a very different event and it’s the first non-Covid one I’ve missed in years. It’s fine if it was more if the same, it’s a good event. But the lead up to Eric taking over the production was pretty hyped.

The only disappointment to me was there was not as much information from the speakers re the future of our NIL program as I was made to believe.

I did ask why to those involved after the event ended and they had an amusing answer. One that would not be best to post here.

But I was told that night that emails were released right about the time the event was over and that they along with information being released on the official athletic site would explain to date what is being planned with much more to eventually follow.

To me the night is always enjoyable because of my familiarity with so many past and present athletes, as well as so many good friends on this board and of course the coaches and admins I know from my many years being an SHU booster.

The cost for 3 hours was very reasonable and unlike in the past the event was not run by Pirate Blue but instead by Eric Liebler and Onward Setonia. Meaning all monies went to NIL.

So many highlights for me to choose, but my conversations with the coaches, both men's and women's and with past Pirate greats, including John Morton probably stand out the most.

And of course at the end of the night I got my Onward Setonia mug. LOL

I wasn't involved in the Beefsteak as Hall Hands on Deck was running independently up until the new NIL structure was announced. The Beefsteak was run by Hall Balls Events, thus I don't have any information on how successful it was.

Future events will be organized by the new Onward Setonia NIL, and will offer experiences and benefits that we haven't offered in the past.

I will be involved in the planning and execution of events going forward, as part of the Onward Setonia NIL. The next silent auction will be at our May golf outing (information to follow), my goal is to offer items that are autographed by past and current players. It will have more Seton Hall centric offerings.
Mike, thanks for the clarification and your great work.

I think sami made a great point about autographed, framed player jerseys. That stuff is gold!

Over the years, I have played in dozens of hospital golf outings and they typically run auctions (live and silent) with a host of items....the majority have scaled back a lot due to Sunshine Laws. One that still sticks out is the Cooperman Barnabas Outing (Canoe Brook) which has extensive auctions and is pretty opulent. They normally have tons of sports memorabilia, with a heavy lean on NY Yankees as I believe there has been a connection with the Halpern family (Barry Halpern had a renowned sports memorabilia collection and there were several NYY connections to the hospital - Yogi Berra, Phil Rizzuto, etc.). Several years ago, when they held the tournament at Trump National, Raff was the guest speaker and Willard played with Lyons. If anyone has a connection to Barnabas, it might be a good source to access tons of memorabilia for OS.

My connections have retired, but I could reach back and ask them if there is interest.

The only disappointment to me was there was not as much information from the speakers re the future of our NIL program as I was made to believe.

I did ask why to those involved after the event ended and they had an amusing answer. One that would not be best to post here.

But I was told that night that emails were released right about the time the event was over and that they along with information being released on the official athletic site would explain to date what is being planned with much more to eventually follow.

To me the night is always enjoyable because of my familiarity with so many past and present athletes, as well as so many good friends on this board and of course the coaches and admins I know from my many years being a SHU booster.

The cost for 3 hours was very reasonable and unlike in the past the event was not run by Pirate Blue but instead by Eric Liebler and Onward Setonia. Meaning all monies went to NIL.

So many highlights for me to choose, but my conversations with the coaches, both men's and women's and with past Pirate greats, including John Morton probably stand out the most.

And of course at the end of the night I got my Onward Setonia mug. LOL
Did not see Eric Liebler was he there ?

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
Not sure as I didn't see him either. But he wouldn't have been a prime speaker. That's not his expertise. He's more a behind the scenes meat and potatoes kind of guy.

BTW, to the best of my knowledge of the 3 Mikes and Eric only McBride who was hired in an official capacity is getting paid. That's an incredible tribute to these men.

What was different this year than previous beefsteaks?
Perhaps because this was strictly to raise funds for P4P collectives and not for the directly associated Pirate Blue Fund they were limited in what they could provide?

The school couldn't provide some of that stuff but I don't see why Eric's Onward Setonia NIL couldn't.

I would have loved to contribute for that purpose, but nothing of interest caught my eye. Especially at the prices noted.

Probably question #1 for McBride’s Q&A here. I’ve bought multiple framed jerseys and other memorabilia over the years. I have a Sacha jersey in my office. That stuff always sells.

You mean to tell me they couldn’t put a Kadary Richmond signed, framed jersey up for $500 and handed that $500 directly to the player? Just because in the past, it was past players, but now it’s an opportunity.

And if SHU produced a Sha jersey, he signed it, and it was framed, you couldn’t put that up annually for $750 and probably get $1000?

Missed opportunity.

I haven’t heard anything yet. What was different this year than previous beefsteaks? It was billed as a very different event and it’s the first non-Covid one I’ve missed in years. It’s fine if it was more if the same, it’s a good event. But the lead up to Eric taking over the production was pretty hyped.
You will see a big change in future events. We can't change what we weren't involved in.

The school couldn't provide some of that stuff but I don't see why Eric's Onward Setonia NIL couldn't.

I would have loved to contribute for that purpose, but nothing of interest caught my eye. Especially at the prices noted.
I am assuming until laws are changed the school will have go through a 3rd party to get real NIL stuff ( jerseys etc) to onward Setonia as it will have to “ change hands”

So, has anyone heard any final totals from the auction? Seems whatever the Beefsteak itself made along with the silent auction is being used to bolster the matching challenge. Has the goal been met yet?

Reactions: silkcitypirate
This is NIL not Pirate Blue so no, you will not get totals. But yes, I do believe we will get to $800,000.00. But that is not the final goal. It's just for matching purposes.

More money, way more money is needed moving forward for the 2023/24 class as well as retaining our players for next season.

Far more details on the Trove.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT