ADVERTISEMENT

Beefsteak Auction

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
proxy

Pirates Fans,

Today's the day! Hall Ball's Beefsteak Tipoff Dinner takes place tonight inside Walsh Gymnasium, and if you're attending, we can't wait to see you!

Even if you're not attending, you can help make an impact on the student-athlete NIL by bidding on the Beefsteak Silent Auction! It is open to all Pirates fans regardless of whether or not you're attending tonight's dinner.

There's some great memorabilia and experiences available, so register now, browse the gallery and put in a bid to win! The auction closes tonight at approximately 9 p.m.

So I buy an autographed hockey jersey and that money goes to a seton hall basketball player. How exactly did they use their name, image or likeness to earn that money?
It doesn't. It's a mirage. The idea is you at least get something you might want for buying Kadary new sneakers (an autographed jersey), instead of that money going to the school's general fund, some worthy charitable cause, or instead of you just putting the money directly in his pocket.

It doesn't. It's a mirage. The idea is you at least get something you might want for buying Kadary new sneakers (an autographed jersey), instead of that money going to the school's general fund, some worthy charitable cause, or instead of you just putting the money directly in his pocket.
Actually, I imagine you buy an item, the monies go to the collective and the collective then pays monies to athletes in compensation for NIL activities.

Actually, I imagine you buy an item, the monies go to the collective and the collective then pays monies to athletes in compensation for NIL activities.
Mechanically, perhaps, but what are those NIL activities? Showing up to do charity work? That makes me feel better. Going to a "meet and greet" where normally it would never command the $ you are getting via the collective? And is really every dollar accounted for in that fashion? We know it is not.

It is what it is. I just don't see why folks who want to "moralize" this need to dress it up. Just be honest about it. It isn't real "NIL" of any kind in most all cases, especially for a school like Seton Hall which has zero-cache from a marketing or branding perspective in this region.

Mechanically, perhaps, but what are those NIL activities? Showing up to do charity work? That makes me feel better. Going to a "meet and greet" where normally it would never command the $ you are getting via the collective? And is really every dollar accounted for in that fashion? We know it is not.

It is what it is. I just don't see why folks who want to "moralize" this need to dress it up. Just be honest about it. It isn't real "NIL" of any kind in most all cases, especially for a school like Seton Hall which has zero-cache from a marketing or branding perspective in this region.
I am responding to your post that you buy an item and a player gets a payment. Now, you are moving the goal posts. I imagine we will see a lot of NIL opportunities that result in compensation.

Your assumption is there are no NIL activities.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the gross lack of Seton Hall items? In years past there were always things autographed by former Seton Hall players, SHU memorabilia, dinners and golf outings with coaches, etc. This year there is none of that.

They talk about NIL, how about jerseys of current players autographed by current players? They have two team balls, one for each team, but that’s it. Maybe get some stuff from the other teams as well. Anything hanging around from the men’s soccer Elite Eight squad or the women’s softball Big East champs? How about for NIL they offer things with the actual NIL of our current players?

Dropping $100–$200 on a player signed jersey or ball I might do. $8k for Taylor Swift or $1.5k for Billy Joel just isn’t happening for me. Maybe some people want that stuff, and fine if they want to offer it, but this is an event for Seton Hall Athletics so I don’t think it is too much of a stretch to want to see Seton Hall Athletic offerings in the silent auction. I just don’t get Hall Ball Events as this just seems like another missed opportunity.

Reactions: SHUJim73
If someone pays $8K for the Taylor Swift concert (upper deck ) it won't be.
And fine if someone has that kind of money and desire. How many do? What if no one bids on it at all?

The missed opportunity is offering items related to Seton Hall and/or our current student athletes. Why not offer jerseys signed by our players? Maybe no one is dropping $8k for a single player’s jersey but collectively you might get that amount. If I bid on a Richmond jersey then that’s true NIL and he should get that money. That I have absolutely no problem with.

Like I said, it’s a Seton Hall event and I don’t think it’s too much to ask that the silent auction has more Seton Hall related offerings.

I am responding to your post that you buy an item and a player gets a payment. Now, you are moving the goal posts. I imagine we will see a lot of NIL opportunities that result in compensation.

Your assumption is there are no NIL activities.
I’m not moving any goal post. Many others are because they don’t want to call this stuff what it really is now. Especially here, because no one is putting KR on a national ESPN commercial like Caleb Williams or as a major product endorser like we have seen a handful of other college athletes. We know this. A contingent thinks this is what we have to do to stay relevant and are supporting that, which is their right. But then jump through various circles to somehow say it is something else.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the gross lack of Seton Hall items? In years past there were always things autographed by former Seton Hall players, SHU memorabilia, dinners and golf outings with coaches, etc. This year there is none of that.

They talk about NIL, how about jerseys of current players autographed by current players? They have two team balls, one for each team, but that’s it. Maybe get some stuff from the other teams as well. Anything hanging around from the men’s soccer Elite Eight squad or the women’s softball Big East champs? How about for NIL they offer things with the actual NIL of our current players?

Dropping $100–$200 on a player signed jersey or ball I might do. $8k for Taylor Swift or $1.5k for Billy Joel just isn’t happening for me. Maybe some people want that stuff, and fine if they want to offer it, but this is an event for Seton Hall Athletics so I don’t think it is too much of a stretch to want to see Seton Hall Athletic offerings in the silent auction. I just don’t get Hall Ball Events as this just seems like another missed opportunity.

I always look forward to the beefsteak auction every year, for that reason. I've gotten some great SHU items in the past - most recently my signed, game used Mamu jersey. I anticipated that with NIL now, there would be a plethora of individual and team signed items this year along with the usual supply of vintage items, former players, etc.

Selection this year is disappointing. Why not at least put a whole supply of team signed schedule posters up for $50 each? For people that can't afford to bid on the bigger items, maybe they'd have gotten a volume of those purchased online? I just never understand what we're doing.

I always look forward to the beefsteak auction every year, for that reason. I've gotten some great SHU items in the past - most recently my signed, game used Mamu jersey. I anticipated that with NIL now, there would be a plethora of individual and team signed items this year along with the usual supply of vintage items, former players, etc.

Selection this year is disappointing. Why not at least put a whole supply of team signed schedule posters up for $50 each? For people that can't afford to bid on the bigger items, maybe they'd have gotten a volume of those purchased online? I just never understand what we're doing.
A lot of golf. Disappointed I didn't see court side seats for a game Like last year.

High priced items at an auction to raise money I can’t believe it! The absurdity!!!
And that’s fine but you need to realize that not everyone can afford that. Plus, 99% of the stuff has absolutely nothing to do with Seton Hall! I personally have no interest in the non Seton Hall stuff and I’m sure I’m not alone.

Seton Hall forgets about the small and mid level donors. In this instance they are left out…again. They talk about name, image and likeness and here you have the perfect opportunity to offer items signed by those who this money is going to support but there is nothing offered outside of one team ball for each team, that’s it! You honestly don’t see a problem with that?

I think the big thing is this is a fundraiser for NIL, and with the funds raised they can have the players at an event to sign jersey's, hats etc and pay them from this NIL raised funds . If you want autographed players ball/jersey's etc, this fundraiser won't do it because it is to raise funds for the collective which will in turn pay the players, not a NIL event for the players . As for non SHU items, people are willing to pay for an event they generally can go to( like a country club or concert). I ran an event in Vegas and the Pink Concert was the biggest fund raiser, who knew?

To finally be able to buy a Seton Hall baseball jersey....brings a tear to my eye lol
The website seems pretty solid; this is a big step forward.

Reactions: walshtrips
A lot of golf. Disappointed I didn't see court side seats for a game Like last year.

I'm wondering if because this event is now run by Hall Ball for NIL and no longer the University for Pirate Blue, that explains why there is virtually no Seton Hall items that we've grown accustomed to: courtside seats, parking passes, former player jerseys, etc. Just seems so odd otherwise.

Glad we are getting our stuff together re: NIL. I understand the people who don’t want to participate at all, but if you aren’t one of them, it’s time to make at least another small donation to show support for all the efforts made in launching this. Let’s build some positive momentum

Reactions: silkcitypirate
So is Onward Setonia a merger of Hall Ball and Hall Hands on Deck?
Yes
“This is a consolidation and rebranding of prior NIL operations “Hall Ball Events” and “Hall Hands on Deck” a collective push to compete in a space that has become a primary driver for recruiting in men’s basketball and, to a lesser but still impactful degree, other sports at the high-major level.”

I’m just catching up as I had a work event tonight…but this seems very promising. And coordinated!

Ok, this looks like a good start…especially with a player commitment on the same day! Nice

Yes
“This is a consolidation and rebranding of prior NIL operations “Hall Ball Events” and “Hall Hands on Deck” a collective push to compete in a space that has become a primary driver for recruiting in men’s basketball and, to a lesser but still impactful degree, other sports at the high-major level.”

There are still some questions…Like what happens to my Hall Hands on Deck subscription! lol. I’ll assume it moves over…But might also want to upgrade!

Good stuff

Reactions: walshtrips
So I buy an autographed hockey jersey and that money goes to a seton hall basketball player. How exactly did they use their name, image or likeness to earn that money?
They didn't. We all know it's pay for play.

Anyone else notice the auction stopped taking bids before the posted closing time of 9 PM?

Where am I missing this? I’d pick one up!
One of the links on the NIl site has player and sport specific customized apparel. There are a few versions of baseball jersey on there and are all very nice. Pick a student athlete and order. Pretty easy.

There are still some questions…Like what happens to my Hall Hands on Deck subscription! lol. I’ll assume it moves over…But might also want to upgrade!

Good stuff
Those who subscribed as members for HHOD will continue as members in Onward Setonia. Upgrading is no problem. Additionally, subscribers will receive better benefits.

100 percent this. I totally get offering high priced items. I was very surprised that the only SHU-related items were the signed basketballs and a poster of the Kentucky MSG game signed by Calipari and Willard.

As to why there weren’t any lower priced options, since Felt mentioned that they were (and I’m estimating off memory, someone feel feee to give the correct number) roughly around $28k away from completing the Hall Ball match challenge, I am guessing that they have hoped to auction off a few big items for $$$ instead of 20 smaller items for $ to complete the challenge tonight.

100 percent this. I totally get offering high priced items. I was very surprised that the only SHU-related items were the signed basketballs and a poster of the Kentucky MSG game signed by Calipari and Willard.

As to why there weren’t any lower priced options, since Felt mentioned that they were (and I’m estimating off memory, someone feel feee to give the correct number) roughly around $28k away from completing the Hall Ball match challenge, I am guessing that they have hoped to auction off a few big items for $$$ instead of 20 smaller items for $ to complete the challenge tonight.
Well, if they were still a Taylor Swift $8k away at the end of the night then they’re still $8k away because that item didn’t sell ($9.5k away actually because Billy Joel didn’t sell either). Pirate fans apparently aren’t Swifties! They could have also offered player signed jerseys and even if each one only averaged $150 it would have brought in almost $4k. Instead they got $0. They would prefer to get a large amount from one person instead of trying to grow the donor base, cast a wider net and appeal to all donor levels. There’s no reason they can’t do both other than they choose not to and prefer to keep it a good ‘ol boys club.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT