ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 renews pursuit of adding Gonzaga

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

The Zags were a target for the Big 12 before the conference added four Pac-12 schools​

By David Cobb

A possible union between Gonzaga and the Big 12 is back on the table in a move that would further bolster the league's reputation for excellent basketball, sources confirm to CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd. Longtime staples of the West Coast Conference, the Zags are one of the premier basketball brands outside the sport's evolving major conference structure.

Gonzaga and the Big 12 flirted previously, but those talks cooled when the conference picked up new members Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah from the Pac-12 -- additions that will take effect ahead of the 2024-25 athletic season. However, Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark is leading a renewed push to land the Bulldogs, sources tell Dodd. CBS Sports analyst Seth Davis first reported on the development for The Messenger.

Yormark would like to have Gonzaga join the Big 12 -- along with the four Pac-12 acquisitions -- in time for the 2024-25 academic year.

"It's a thing. It's still kind of ... we'll see," a Big 12 source told CBS Sports. Yormark was not immediately available for comment.

Gonzaga joining the Big 12 now seems to be a matter of negotiation. During the summer Gonzaga received a $15 million annual valuation from its consultants, industry sources told CBS Sports, should it join a power conference for basketball. That's less than half of what full-ride Big 12 members will receive ($31.7 million) beginning in 2024.

Expanding to 17 basketball teams would create scheduling problems, especially with regard to a conference tournament format. But adding the Zags would solidify the profile of what is widely regarded as college basketball's top conference. Though Oklahoma and Texas are exiting the Big 12 for the SEC after this season, national power Houston is about to embark on its first season in the league and will soon be joined by another huge basketball brand in Arizona.

Other new or forthcoming Big 12 members such as Cincinnati and Utah also have rich basketball histories, as do several longtime members, including recent national-title winners Baylor (2021) and Kansas (2022). Gonzaga has entertained the possibility of departing the WCC for years but has been cautious about leaving a geographically sensible league that it often dominates. But joining the Big 12 would further elevate the national profile of a program that has made eight straight Sweet 16 appearances under coach Mark Few, who is entering his 25th season as coach of the Bulldogs.

"I think it's the best basketball league right now, depth-wise, and I always felt like the Pac-12 fit until UCLA and USC left," a coach told CBS Sports this summer as part of the Candid Coaches series when asked about a possible move by Gonzaga to the Big 12. "I think there are too many unknowns there, and by default, you go to the next one over. The Big 12 is so deep and competitive. [The WCC] is working in certain areas ... but I think it's like dominating the JVs and you always want to play on the varsity."

It's no secret Yormark has a distinct, long-term basketball vision, one that ultimately includes separate media rights contracts for basketball and football. That's never been done, at least in the modern era of the Power Five. Basketball has always lagged behind in valuation with the football being the primary revenue generator.

Yormark believes, with the interest of streaming properties on the rise, college basketball will be worth more to more suitors in the future. There are those in the industry who disagree. One key issue: Any movement in separating media rights would have to wait at least seven years until the Big 12's new media rights deal expires in 2031.

Hey if Gonzaga can get $15mil a year to get beat up in the Big 12, all power to them.

I just wonder what they are going to be like when Few leaves and playing in that small gym. Will they be that attractive at all?

Reactions: LBP43 and CL82
Hey if Gonzaga can get $15mil a year to get beat up in the Big 12, all power to them.

I just wonder what they are going to be like when Few leaves and playing in that small gym. Will they be that attractive at all?
No chance $15mm. Basketball represents 10-15% of the tv deal.

No chance $15mm. Basketball represents 10-15% of the tv deal.
More like 20%, I think. So their share would be be looking at what $6.4 M? For what it's worth, the rumor is that they would accept $2 million a year.

Sounds like B12 only wants them for basketball. What about all of their other sports?

Would need to bring them along, can’t park only basketball.
Not according to the report. They could have it wrong but it only includes men’s basketball, baseball, women’s soccer, volleyball, and men’s & women’s tennis.

Maybe it was an error on the writers part or the sources part.

I’ll believe it when it happens. Makes little sense. One hoops only school? They will never be at the big boy’s table so why bother. Guarantee a NCAA bid thru the WCC and continue to schedule high majors, maybe throw one or two in during the conference season to stay sharp.

I still think a scheduling alliance with the BE makes good sense. Because the BE has 11 teams, there are always bye weeks during the season. Slot the Zags into some of those weeks.

Reactions: LBP43 and BucBloc
Sounds like B12 only wants them for basketball. What about all of their other sports?

Would need to bring them along, can’t park only basketball.

Not according to the report. They could have it wrong but it only includes men’s basketball, baseball, women’s soccer, volleyball, and men’s & women’s tennis.

Maybe it was an error on the writers part or the sources part.
I haven't seen any report that includes the information that SOBO shares. Not doubting it, just haven't seen that level of specificity mentioned anywhere.

The NCAA requires any sport that a conference member team plays to participate in that sport if the conference sponsors it. Gonzaga has a nationally ranked Women's Basketball program as an example. It would have to move to the Big 12 if the school does.

If the Big 12 doesn't offer a particular sport, Gonzaga would be free to park that sport somewhere else. This is what Akron, a member of the MAC, is doing with its Men's Soccer team in the Big East.

Reactions: SPK145
I have always thought of Gonzaga as a unicorn. Small school, small media market and top 10 CB. Could they ever go independent like ND football and negotiate their own deal. They could play a few teams from each of the top conferences and some local rivalries and get at at large bid to the dance.

I haven't seen any report that includes the information that SOBO shares. Not doubting it, just haven't seen that level of specificity mentioned anywhere.

The NCAA requires any sport that a conference member team plays to participate in that sport if the conference sponsors it. Gonzaga has a nationally ranked Women's Basketball program as an example. It would have to move to the Big 12 if the school does.

If the Big 12 doesn't offer a particular sport, Gonzaga would be free to park that sport somewhere else. This is what Akron, a member of the MAC, is doing with its Men's Soccer team in the Big East.
This was Brett McMurphy article. He’s a big time reporter so he has credibility but it’s possible his source was off.

Besides men’s basketball, Gonzaga also would join the Big 12 in baseball, women’s soccer, volleyball and men’s and women’s tennis, a source said.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaab/big-12-seriously-considering-adding-gonzaga-mens-basketball

I have always thought of Gonzaga as a unicorn. Small school, small media market and top 10 CB. Could they ever go independent like ND football and negotiate their own deal. They could play a few teams from each of the top conferences and some local rivalries and get at at large bid to the dance.
I read today that Gonzaga is actually a monster terms of college basketball TV ratings. They rank 5th nationally in TV metrics (Duke, Kentucky, UNC, and Kansas are the only schools ahead of them) and their games against P6 games average 2.5X the ratings of the average Big12 conference game. As we all know, TV ratings are the only the only thing that matters in college athletics today.

Reactions: SHU AL 84
Question for the board. Does the conference or school pay the travel expenses for non revenue sports... which is basically all sports other than football, mens basketball & in some cases, women's basketball?

Question for the board. Does the conference or school pay the travel expenses for non revenue sports... which is basically all sports other than football, mens basketball & in some cases, women's basketball?
School. Most conferences reimburse for post season travel.

Good luck getting games after conference play starts. There are no other independent teams to play and few schools are going to want to add a difficult non-conference game in the midst of conference play that isn't already mandated by its conference (see the Big 12/SEC series). Maybe there's money to be made but I think it would be a tough way to go. Even ND is only independent for football, it's probably a non-starter for the non-revenue sports.

This was Brett McMurphy article. He’s a big time reporter so he has credibility but it’s possible his source was off.

Besides men’s basketball, Gonzaga also would join the Big 12 in baseball, women’s soccer, volleyball and men’s and women’s tennis, a source said.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaab/big-12-seriously-considering-adding-gonzaga-mens-basketball
As I understand things, that doesn't fly but who knows with the NCAA anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT