ADVERTISEMENT

Big East Expansion

No, she's pretty much said UConn had a standing invitation if they wanted it, but only on the Big East's terms. She was happy to take them and just as happy to let them go off doing their own thing.
Nope, she said multiple times UConn was the only school the NBE would consider, of course all that changed now since the conference apparently has another school in in sights.

check out the DMA map here: https://www.mediamarketmap.com/market-map/

Atlanta, detroit, cleveland, st louis, charlotte, raliegh pittsburgh, nashville are the initial hit list based on top 30 DMAs, but there are limited schools even in the considerstion set, and most stink.

Detroit Mercy (Detroit)
Davidson (Charlotte)
St Louis (St Louis)
Duquesne, Robert Morris (Pittsburgh)
Belmont, Lipscomb (Nashville)

Clear winners based on latest basketball success here are Davidson and Belmont

Based on the next 30 top dmas you get:

UMBC, Morgan st, coppin st, loyola (Baltimore)
VCU (Richmond)
Old Dominion (Norfolk)
Canisuis (Buffalo)

Then if you go to the 70th DMA you get Dayton, the team that best fits from a basketball perspective.

obviously teams like Detroit wont be a big draw despitw the big market. so if i had to make my top list given DMA and basketball prowess (off top of my head) id go:

1)Davidson
2)Belmont
3)VCU
4)Dayton
5)Detroit
6) St Louis
7)Pitt/Baltimore schools
8)ODU (wont accept)

however id need to see more research about the specific audiences and profits these teams bring in
Great info. I think you also have to consider whether the school you are bringing in the top draw in the area. Location alone isn't an indication of following.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Dana O'Neill just posted a VERY complimentary article about the Big East. Says they are in a great position as long as they don't let football to drive their decisions.

Says the possibilities are Gonzaga, Wichita State, Loyola Chicago, Dayton, VCU, St.Louis, etc.

The quotes from Val make it seem like they are seriously considering expansion to get a better media rights deal in 2025.

Gonzaga would be a game changer. They are so good you have to consider them despite their geography.

Last edited:
Great info. I think you also have to consider whether the school you are bringing in the top draw in the area. Location alone isn't an indication of following.
yup. thats where it gets tricky. Davidson is in the Charlotte market, but do u think they own that market? no. UNC/Duke does even though jts raleigh durham. Could they draw enough interest from that market in the big east? maybe. i havent looked at it hard enough.

None of those teams own their market in that regard.

Reactions: CL82
Nope, she said multiple times UConn was the only school the NBE would consider, of course all that changed now since the conference apparently has another school in in sights.
Why nope? That doesn't contradict what I said at all. UConn had a standing offer for years, nobody else interested the Big East. The thing that changed is UConn finally got sick enough of their position in the AAC to call in and accept the offer.

Why nope? That doesn't contradict what I said at all. UConn had a standing offer for years, nobody else interested the Big East. The thing that changed is UConn finally got sick enough of their position in the AAC to call in and accept the offer.
Because I disagree with your statement. UConn did not have a standing offer to join. There were talks on and off but the parties never agreed, until they did. At the time of announcement, Ackerman said, there is only one school that we felt was a good fit, the University of Connecticut. So, "nope" because I disagree with you.

Dana O'Neill just posted a VERY complimentary article about the Big East. Says they are in a great position as long as they don't let football to drive their decisions.

Says the possibilities are Gonzaga, Wichita State, Loyola Chicago, Dayton, VCU, St.Louis, etc.

The quotes from Val make it seem like they are seriously considering expansion to get a better media rights deal in 2025.

Gonzaga would be a game changer. They are so good you have to consider them despite their geography.
Just read the articke. It was posted 2 hours ago in the Athletic. Its the only anaysis thst makes sense. Dana O’Niel says the BE is the most stable conference in all college sports. So it doesn’t have to do anything.

Dayton/VCU/St Louis don’t move the needle as O’Niel points out. No Loyola Chicago with DePaul in Chicago. (Anyone want to trade?) Wichita State doesn’t fit the profile but does have a lot of Koch Bros money behind it. Which leaves… Gonzaga.

Ackerman says the geography with Gonzaga is not ideal but neither is it insurmountable. Its the only program that can enhance the basketball aspirations of the BE. O’Niel then goes on to suggest a travelling partner for Gonzaga— UNLV. Its football program has reached UCONN proportions, having not won a game since 2019. And O’Neil suggest an Ivy League type schedule where GU and UNLV come east three times a year to play weekeend games (Friday/Sunday) with the teams on the east coast.

That sounds a little wild but the bottom line is this. No other school moves the needle except Gonzaga. And Ackerman is clearly saying to BE school presidents that they have to think outside the box in advance of the FOX deal’s expiration in 2025.

Reactions: HALL85

Well, she's shilling for her book on the history of the Big East that comes out on Nov 9.

When she mentions Loyola of Chicago with DePaul already in that market, there is no reason to read any further. I'd call it stupid but that's an insult to stupid everywhere else. Normally she's pretty good too.

Gonzaga is the only one that moves the needle but the distance problems just seem too great to overcome.

Because I disagree with your statement. UConn did not have a standing offer to join. There were talks on and off but the parties never agreed, until they did. At the time of announcement, Ackerman said, there is only one school that we felt was a good fit, the University of Connecticut. So, "nope" because I disagree with you.
CL is correct. I have a buddy v connected at UConn

Well, she's shilling for her book on the history of the Big East that comes out on Nov 9.

When she mentions Loyola of Chicago with DePaul already in that market, there is no reason to read any further. I'd call it stupid but that's an insult to stupid everywhere else. Normally she's pretty good too.

Gonzaga is the only one that moves the needle but the distance problems just seem too great to overcome.
While I do think there are some holes in the article, I’m confused by this criticism: isn’t this the very reason she dismisses the possibility of Loyola Chicago? I’ve excerpted the relevant part below (I read the “kinda” to be a joking shot at DePaul.)

But the Big East also already has a Chicago presence (kinda) via DePaul. Does another team in that market change things significantly?

I get the whole geography aspect but look at the BIG 10 they go pretty far away for some of their games, Gonzaga is 1 hour difference in flight time so

Respectfully disagree. She says that Loyola fits the profile as an urban Catholic school but she clearly says it isn’t the same program w/o Porter Moser and DePaul is already in Chicago. It isn’t and wasn’t ever going to happen.

Reactions: MichiganStoleTitle
With BYU leaving the WCC, the Zags have to be thinking who is our competition from January until the NCAA tournament starts?

What has been a strength of this version of the new Big East is that there are a number of long standing rivalries and any expansion has to factor that in and why a school like Wichita State makes no sense and I reiterate no more state universities. Right now I see no school in the Northeast that makes sense with the Mid-West offering better options.

Last edited:
While I do think there are some holes in the article, I’m confused by this criticism: isn’t this the very reason she dismisses the possibility of Loyola Chicago? I’ve excerpted the relevant part below (I read the “kinda” to be a joking shot at DePaul.)
So why even mention it, it's like she's just talking to herself.

Many good comments and observations. I look not at an individual school, but a set of conditions: a market where we are absent ; access to a 10,000+ area; one where football is not an issue or where the school is willing to de emphasize football (or kill it [UCONN]).

.... Continued....
East of the Mississippi River.

1. St. Louis
2. Charlotte

So why even mention it, it's like she's just talking to herself.

It's a story based on speculation -- much of it isn't particularly realistic. Loyola is just one more name on the list.

Frankly, I think the whole ideal of a West Coast branch with Gonzaga and whomever else they would drag along is laughable. Although I guess we've already punted on the idea that we're dealing with students.

Ah, got it. Well you can disagree all you want but it wasn't an opinion.

Gonzaga would be absolutely amazing. What an edition to a league where basketball is a cult-like sport.

Gonzaga would be absolutely amazing. What an edition to a league where basketball is a cult-like sport.

Would they be amazing now? Absolutely.

But as has been pointed out elsewhere, they are coaching change away from ????. It’s a valid enough point to at least consider.

Reactions: HALL85
Would they be amazing now? Absolutely.

But as has been pointed out elsewhere, they are coaching change away from ????. It’s a valid enough point to at least consider.

Absolutely. See Carlesimo, P.J. to Blaney, George and Amaker, Tommy to Orr, Louis.

Ah, got it. Well you can disagree all you want but it wasn't an opinion.
Well, you probably should tell Val Ackerman about it. This is what she said in the most recent athletic article:

When we went to 11, we had no plan to go to 12. There was no secret plan. UConn was the one school that checked so many boxes for us.

But I’m sure you are right and she’s wrong. :rolleyes:

Reactions: papacheesy2
Wrong. The difference is that Gonzaga has great facilities, spends big money and has enjoyed 20 years of uninterrupted success. Gonzaga is more than 1 coach, same a Duke.

The danger for them, however, is their isolation. Weak conference, located in Eastern Washington (far from Seattle). They are likely in good shape, but have no layers underneath to protect them in far off future should they slip post-Few.

The danger for them, however, is their isolation. Weak conference, located in Eastern Washington (far from Seattle). They are likely in good shape, but have no layers underneath to protect them in far off future should they slip post-Few.
Tremendous Jesuit school, killer basketball culture, a feeder school to NBA - fits with the cool mantra that Georgetown kids came up with when the realignment first was revealed - “basketball is our religion.”

Hope fuel prices drop because it is a bit far - maybe the new Fox contract can help subsidize travel costs. 🤣

Wrong. The difference is that Gonzaga has great facilities, spends big money and has enjoyed 20 years of uninterrupted success. Gonzaga is more than 1 coach, same a Duke.
It’s a consideration though. I don’t know how the Zags are by way of facilities and $, but look at how some of the programs in our league have fared when the great coach leaves. Gtown recovered for a period with JTIII but beyond that hasn’t been anywhere close. SJU had a few moments post-Louie but really have been searching since he left. And those two were giant name-brands in big markets with great hoops history.

They are better positioned for success but there's still no guarantee.

See Doherty, Matt and Gillespie, Billy. For someone closer to home see Roberts, Norm or Ollie, Kevin.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Flights may become shorter in the future also. Big East schools should all chip in for a private jet if they want Gonzaga coming to this coast constantly.....

That is why joining the BE is attractive to it.

Well, you probably should tell Val Ackerman about it. This is what she said in the most recent athletic article:

When we went to 11, we had no plan to go to 12. There was no secret plan. UConn was the one school that checked so many boxes for us.

But I’m sure you are right and she’s wrong. :rolleyes:
Once again that comes nowhere close to contradicting anything I said 🙄

I fell like Val hinted at expansion 6 months before it became official with UConn, so I would not be surprised if there has been an agreement with Gonzaga.
The one downside would be down the road if Few moves on and the Zags become irrelevant (DePaul was a great team right before the move to the BE).

I fell like Val hinted at expansion 6 months before it became official with UConn, so I would not be surprised if there has been an agreement with Gonzaga.
The one downside would be down the road if Few moves on and the Zags become irrelevant (DePaul was a great team right before the move to the BE).

DePaul hasn't been consistently great in 30+ years. It moved to the Big East in 2005, 16 years ago.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Once again that comes nowhere close to contradicting anything I said 🙄
LOL, other than directly contradicting basically everything you said, yeah it’s nowhere near close.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT