ADVERTISEMENT

Blue Bloods sucking wind

In this day and age of NIL and massive piggy banks, who would have thought that several Blue Bloods would be so bad?

Michigan 6-9
UCLA 6-9
Louisville 5-9
Well - I always thought Michigan's hire of Howard was terrible. He looked pretty good the first 2 years, but i think it was because of inheriting Beilein players.

Howard at Michigan,roster turnover at UCLA and corruption at Louisville.

I'll take UCLA's 6-9 this season if you tell me I get to be in 2 Sweet 16's and another Final Four like they've gone to the prior 3 years, lol.

But statistics like the above is why I never subscribed to the "doom and gloom" NIL stuff that gets posted constantly.

In this day and age of NIL and massive piggy banks, who would have thought that several Blue Bloods would be so bad?

Michigan 6-9
UCLA 6-9
Louisville 5-9
Not to change the subject slightly…

But are we really counting Michigan as part of the basketball blueblood world?

1 National Title
5 final fours.

But had a stretch from 1998 to 2007 where they didn’t even make the NCAA tournament.

You can’t go a decade without making the Dance and be considered a blueblood in my opinion.

Also need to have won more than one title.

and need to have some prior historical success. In the 50s they were a below .500 program. Had 8 tournament appearances over 36 years from 1948 to 1984.

they are a blueblood in terms of football. No doubt. Not basketball.

UCLA, Kansas Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and Uconn are locks. no debate although UCLA hasn't done anything in 30 years and are only living on history. Villanova is on the cusp if they win another

UCLA, Kansas Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and Uconn are locks. no debate although UCLA hasn't done anything in 30 years and are only living on history. Villanova is on the cusp if they win another
Everyone has their own standards for what is a blueblood.

I think it should be a bunch of categories that create a collective sum of consistency and dominance.

Here is my standard.
1. Have you won more than 1 National Title? (Don’t care if it was vacated or not)
2. Have you been to several Final Fours?
3. Are you a constant NCAA tournament qualifier? No prolonged droughts.
4. Are you a constant top 25 ranked team?
5. How often do you hold a top 5 rank / #1 rank?
6. Have you sustained this success beyond the tenor of more than one coach?

UConn / UCLA / Duke / Kansas / UNC / Kentucky…no arguments there.

Next tier is Nova / Louisville / Michigan St / Indiana

And that next group can easily be debated based on your perspective.

I think it should be a bunch of categories that create a collective sum of consistency and dominance.

Here is my standard.
1. Have you won more than 1 National Title? (Don’t care if it was vacated or not)

seems to be exactly how i see it. i think 99% of people would agree.

indiana has an insane # of championships at risk of falling from the next tier

Here is my standard.

Great criteria. Where do you put Syracuse?
1 National Championship
6 Final Fours
10 Elite Eights
24 Sweet 16’s

and 18 conference championships

Great criteria. Where do you put Syracuse?
1 National Championship
6 Final Fours
10 Elite Eights
24 Sweet 16’s

and 18 conference championships
If you are going to knock Indiana and Louisville for recent success you have to do the same to Syracuse. Last 9 tournaments only 4 appearances, and no higher than an 8 seed. Have not finished in the AP top 25 since 2014.

Only 1 National Title
6 final fours - solid

My issue with Syracuse is I want to see if they can sustain it past the Jim Boehiem era.

Are they a product of just their coach? Roy Dandorth finally got it going for a 6 year stretch right before him. But prior to that (1970) they were essentially irrelevant in the college basketball world.

Indiana is interesting…
2 titles under Branch McCracken (40’ and 53’) but not a constant tournament team in his 26 years, only 4 tournament appearances. Yes I know it was harder to qualify back then.

Then 3 under Bobby Knight and absolutely bluebood territory during his tenure.

Since (2000) they have attracted high quality names, Mike Davis, kelvin Sampson, Tom Creen, Archie Miller, and Mike Woodson. However the results have been mediocre. No titles, 1 final four, made tournament 12 out of 22 years, finished in AP top 25 only 5 times, reached top 5 status only twice.

Gonzaga becomes the next test case IMO with Mark Few (assuming they were to win a couple of titles). Can another coach after him really keep the program at that high a level?

I guess another factor in blueblood status that I failed to add to my criteria, is do the recruits treat you that way. Are there top recruits lining up year in and year out to play for your program?

If we’re talkin’ ‘bout the woes of Blue Bloods, might I add Michigan State to the discussion?

Started the season ranked 4th, and absolutely plummeted in the rankings after an opening game loss to James Madison. At one point, they were 4-5. Granted, they some very tough OOC games mixed in with some total cupcakes. Currently, they are 9-6 and sit in the B1G basement with a 1-3 conference record.

Now, they may pull it together and sneak into the tournament - of course the committee will make room for them if it’s even remotely close - but considering they started out ranked fourth…..I mean….damn.

If we’re talkin’ ‘bout the woes of Blue Bloods, might I add Michigan State to the discussion?

Started the season ranked 4th, and absolutely plummeted in the rankings after an opening game loss to James Madison. At one point, they were 4-5. Granted, they some very tough OOC games mixed in with some total cupcakes. Currently, they are 9-6 and sit in the B1G basement with a 1-3 conference record.

Now, they may pull it together and sneak into the tournament - of course the committee will make room for them if it’s even remotely close - but considering they started out ranked fourth…..I mean….damn.
mich st imo is the most overrated team. not because they arent good, but natural perception is right up there with blue bloods for no reason. dont think izzo will ever sniff the final four again.

mich st imo is the most overrated team. not because they arent good, but natural perception is right up there with blue bloods for no reason. dont think izzo will ever sniff the final four again.
lol... what a silly take; is this trolling? guy's been to EIGHT ff's! i'd say that's a reason.

lol... what a silly take; is this trolling? guy's been to EIGHT ff's! i'd say that's a reason.
yes but i bet 50% of fans would guess hes won multiple championships. he has one 24 years ago

not a blue blood but the team down in college park is sucking wind too and boy are their fans angry. pick your favorite because it's all there: bad offense, scoring droughts, no confidence, no focus, teachers pet, press conference speech, clapping, no offensive plan.
I bet jahari was the best player all summer

If you are going to knock Indiana and Louisville for recent success you have to do the same to Syracuse. Last 9 tournaments only 4 appearances, and no higher than an 8 seed. Have not finished in the AP top 25 since 2014.

Only 1 National Title
6 final fours - solid

My issue with Syracuse is I want to see if they can sustain it past the Jim Boehiem era.

Are they a product of just their coach? Roy Dandorth finally got it going for a 6 year stretch right before him. But prior to that (1970) they were essentially irrelevant in the college basketball world.

Indiana is interesting…
2 titles under Branch McCracken (40’ and 53’) but not a constant tournament team in his 26 years, only 4 tournament appearances. Yes I know it was harder to qualify back then.

Then 3 under Bobby Knight and absolutely bluebood territory during his tenure.

Since (2000) they have attracted high quality names, Mike Davis, kelvin Sampson, Tom Creen, Archie Miller, and Mike Woodson. However the results have been mediocre. No titles, 1 final four, made tournament 12 out of 22 years, finished in AP top 25 only 5 times, reached top 5 status only twice.

Gonzaga becomes the next test case IMO with Mark Few (assuming they were to win a couple of titles). Can another coach after him really keep the program at that high a level?

I guess another factor in blueblood status that I failed to add to my criteria, is do the recruits treat you that way. Are there top recruits lining up year in and year out to play for your program?
Syracuse is a product of Boeheim’s quirky system. How many Sweet 16s were simply because teams never saw anything like that?

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Syracuse is a product of Boeheim’s quirky system. How many Sweet 16s were simply because teams never saw anything like that?
Without a doubt.

His 2-3 zone and the length of players he was able to recruit to fit that defensive system made preparing for it super difficult in a tournament format.

It is definitely susceptible to getting beat as well. We saw that first hand as the Pirates had some special performances going up to the Carrier Dome and shooting the lights out. I also remember them getting dismantled by Blake Griffith’s Oklahoma team in the dance on a night they couldn’t miss. Think it was a sweet sixteen matchup

yes but i bet 50% of fans would guess hes won multiple championships. he has one 24 years ago
Eight Final Fours would tie Michigan State for seventh all-time with Louisville and Indiana.

MSU has 10 as a program which places them in a sixth place tie all-time along with Ohio State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT