ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Flores

SHUSA

All World
Jan 10, 2013
So is there a real problem with racism in NFL coaching, or is he just throwing out the race card?

Isn't this man black? How did he get a job if the NFL is racist? Sick of this garbage. Just a guy playing the race card to gain attention and money.

Isn't this man black? How did he get a job if the NFL is racist? Sick of this garbage.
well i dont think his lawsuit is with the dolphins but generally i agree. do you know what % of coaches in todays NFL are black?

I don't really follow the NFL, so no. I know the guy from Pittsburgh is.

well i dont think his lawsuit is with the dolphins but generally i agree. do you know what % of coaches in todays NFL are black?
12.5% of head coaches are black
About 30% of assistants are black
13% of the US population is black

Draw your own conclusions.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0

thats what i was thinking, id assume at least 50/60% of player base is black, but players rarely make good head coaches.

thats what i was thinking, id assume at least 50/60% of player base is black, but players rarely make good head coaches.
Probably more than that, but does that mean we should have quotas for players too? Of course not.

You get guys today who are in their young to mid 30's who are innovative and creative and doing a good damn job having never played a down in the NFL. I think we have 2 of them in the Superbowl this year.

He has a legit gripe that he was probably just being interviewed in order to check a box of an NFL rule, but I don't think there will be any evidence that race prevented him from getting the job. Giants just found the guy they wanted.

He has a legit gripe that he was probably just being interviewed in order to check a box of an NFL rule, but I don't think there will be any evidence that race prevented him from getting the job. Giants just found the guy they wanted.

Well when you have all this woke stuff going on, "checking a box" becomes what people do. In actuality, maybe he just wasn't the best fit for a job.

Reactions: SHUSA
so then its a legitimate gripe with the NFL and the only solution is to get rid of the rule. i mean, sounds like he would rather not go to thay interview at all. which means he should be in favor of getting rid of the rooney rule.

the demand for racism is far exceeding the supply so now we have situations like this.

i think flores is mad about being fired and trying to be a race baiting opportunist.

Well when you have all this woke stuff going on, "checking a box" becomes what people do. In actuality, maybe he just wasn't the best fit for a job.
i dont think these guys understand that 99% of americans have at will employment and job openings pretty much go to the people who know people. he doesnt understand he has it good

so then its a legitimate gripe with the NFL and the only solution is to get rid of the rule. i mean, sounds like he would rather not go to thay interview at all. which means he should be in favor of getting rid of the rooney rule.

the demand for racism is far exceeding the supply so now we have situations like this.

i think flores is mad about being fired and trying to be a race baiting opportunist.

Yep. I agree.

Reactions: SHUSA

Where did you come up with that number. There are 32 teams in the NFL. One head coach is black and 4 jobs are currently vacant. That makes the current percentage of black coaches as 3.5% not 12.5%. About 70% of the players are black. In the Giants case I do not see that they did anything wrong (I am not a Giant fan by the way) . Seems that they just hired the guy who they feel will be a better coach. But one black head coach out of 32 does not seem right.

TK

I always wondered, why do they have the Rooney Rule for a head coaching job, yet there is no "Rooney Rule" for coordinators, specific position coaches, etc.

At some point can we get to asking did you interview the best candidates for the job and your organization?

Where did you come up with that number. There are 32 teams in the NFL. One head coach is black and 4 jobs are currently vacant. That makes the current percentage of black coaches as 3.5% not 12.5%. About 70% of the players are black. In the Giants case I do not see that they did anything wrong (I am not a Giant fan by the way) . Seems that they just hired the guy who they feel will be a better coach. But one black head coach out of 32 does not seem right.

TK
two just got let go: flores and texans coach. saleh is labanese rivers is mexican. i dont count those two black, but im not sure why their races wouldnt matter too. that would be 5/32 and 15.6%. maybe thats what he was doing.

TK
I was going by black coaches at beginning of the season: Tomlin, Culley, Flores and Rivera.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
Flores is a dumbass. His lawsuit referring to the NFL as a plantation. How insulting to those that actually suffered on those.

Reactions: shu09
Actually Flores is a pretty good coach. I was surprised that he did not get an offer from any of the 9 teams looking for a new head coach.

Tom K

Actually Flores is a pretty good coach. I was surprised that he did not get an offer from any of the 9 teams looking for a new head coach.

Tom K

I have no problem with Flores the head coach. I thought he was building something in Miami. I have a problem with Flores claiming he didnt get a job due to racism. There have been hints hes tough to work with for quite awhile.

He fired an o line coach his first week, traded an all pro in Fitzpatrick, went through 5 coordinators and couldnt get along with gm or owner...but yea racism

That was the question with him. He was a good head coach but seemed to run through a lot of coordinators and did not get along with the GM or owner. Now if the owner and GM were telling him to throw games that is a huge problem and glad he stuck to his guns on that and that may be the reason he didn't get along with them but that doesn't explain the issue with his assistant coaches. The Giants reached out to him for an interview before they hired Shoen which says a lot. Supposedly Mara wanted him badly but they hired Daboll. Appears that the Giants are gonna get cleared here but a bad look for the league overall that 8 jobs were up and not one diverse hire so far.

I am surprised that he did not get hired by the other teams. I thought he would be perfect in New Orleans or Jax and he is still interviewing for Texas which I think is a huge shi$show and a place he will not fit. Maybe it works out and he talks Watson into staying there. I am now rooting against Miami because I didn't think he should have been fired there. Have the Coughlin sit down and tell him he needs to do better on the relationship side of things. He was building something good there. Hope they tank...

I don't know that much about Brian Flores other than the fact that his team was winning, which is the most important stat for any coach. As far as his relationship with the Miami owner I'd like to point out that the previous head coach (Adam Gase) was also fired because of arguments (Screaming episodes) with the same Miami owner.

TK

Reactions: Section112
I always wondered, why do they have the Rooney Rule for a head coaching job, yet there is no "Rooney Rule" for coordinators, specific position coaches, etc.

At some point can we get to asking did you interview the best candidates for the job and your organization?
This is really the right question. If you want more minority coaches than put rules in place that build the pool of available candidates.

With all due respect to Flores, I think if you look at this situation, the new GM had a good idea of who he was hiring the second he got hired and before he ever conducted 1 interview. I don't follow the enough to know everyone the giants interviewed, but if I was betting man every single one of them was a waste of everyones time and just to appease people that they went through a process. So Flores being a man of color had nothing to do with it in my opinion. Dan Quinn was just as much of a waste of time as Flores. This was a new GM who had a relationship with a person he knows he can work well with and that was going to happen, and it did.

That's good to know. Again but why not for all positions. QB coach, TE coach, RB coach, safeties, coach, etc

Fair question. I'd tend to agree, I'd think the rule would be better designed for those roles than the head coach.

That was the question with him. He was a good head coach but seemed to run through a lot of coordinators and did not get along with the GM or owner. Now if the owner and GM were telling him to throw games that is a huge problem and glad he stuck to his guns on that and that may be the reason he didn't get along with them but that doesn't explain the issue with his assistant coaches. The Giants reached out to him for an interview before they hired Shoen which says a lot. Supposedly Mara wanted him badly but they hired Daboll. Appears that the Giants are gonna get cleared here but a bad look for the league overall that 8 jobs were up and not one diverse hire so far.

I am surprised that he did not get hired by the other teams. I thought he would be perfect in New Orleans or Jax and he is still interviewing for Texas which I think is a huge shi$show and a place he will not fit. Maybe it works out and he talks Watson into staying there. I am now rooting against Miami because I didn't think he should have been fired there. Have the Coughlin sit down and tell him he needs to do better on the relationship side of things. He was building something good there. Hope they tank...
is it weird that the nfl signed 200 free agents during the last few months and 90% were black? should we look into this?

It's a well-intentioned rule, I think. But practical application is where it leads to problems. And this is often the problem with rules or mandates of this kind. The "E" in "DEI" used to stand for "equality". Now it stands for "equity". "Equality" is about giving folks equal opportunities. "Equity" is often outcome-based. I sit through mandated DEI seminars as someone who has a leadership role at my job and ask the presenters -- who have turned this into a money-making trade -- why there was a change from "equality" to "equity". I never get an answer that makes sense.

From afar, I thought Flores did a good job in Miami. I don't know if all the "noise" surrounding his tenure and rumors about him causing being difficult to deal with, fighting with coaches, players, the GM, owner, etc, are true. What I do know is that when someone is your boss, and you don't get along with them, there is a pretty good chance you aren't going to have that job for long unless you are so indispensable that they need to keep you despite that. And while NFL owners/front offices make wrong head coaching decisions all the time, usually the really good coaches stick or are gobbled up pretty quickly by someone else, because at the end of the day winning games trumps all.

The Flores interview may have been a "check the box"; it may also have been the Giants ensuring due diligence was done because Flores had some connections with the organization. Perhaps they were pretty sure Daboll was the guy, but wanted to make sure they spoke to everyone they had interest in for the job. Being the "last one in the room" is not always a bad thing, and sometimes a very good thing. You always hear stories about interviewees getting a job because they "won" the room, even where the decision-makers might have been leaning elsewhere. If I was in Flores shoes, I probably would have wanted to roll the dice that I could make that happen, however unlikely. Ironically, the story with Mike Tomlin is that he wasn't a favorite for the Steelers job by any stretch -- and wasn't considered ready to be a HC at the time -- but he blew Pittsburgh away in the interview, and here he is all these years later as one of the long tenured NFL coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT