ADVERTISEMENT

Christmas Tree - Real or Faux

CT Pirate

Freshman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
Living in CT (tough being a Pirate fan here) and be surrounded by christmas tree farms plus being a branding guy, I penned a piece about the Christmas tree experience - built on family and traditions. What's your go to for Christmas trees? Any traditions? Keepsake ornaments? I know it is game day but can you spare three minutes to read my piece - trying to get more content numbers up as I am in line for a gruest columnist role on Linkedin (I'm a retired ad agency dude) Thanks guys. Go Pirates. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/make...aw%3D%3D/?trackingId=S6kjrRFoSH2eFVtcdyYqaw==

Bill, great piece and always enjoy reading your musings:

What is your go-to Christmas tree?
Faux or real? Real (My family was faux and my wife was real - not the hill I chose to die on.
Blue spruce or Fraser fir? Douglas Fir
White lights or multicolor? Multi-color
Garland or tinsel (remember those shiny silver strands from way back in the day that made a mess)? Neither Hallmark ornaments or family keepsakes? Combination - we have so many that only half fit on the two trees - Once again, not the hill I chose to die on.

It’s all part of the holiday mosaic that plays out as soon as the last piece of pie is consumed at the Thanksgiving celebration. For many, the annual trek to the Christmas tree farm is near on the horizon.
For our family, it's a long-standing tradition that the kids and now grandchild are ingrained. For the past 20+ years we have trekked to the same farm (Cherryville Farms) to cut down a tree, the Saturday after Thanksgiving It started with one tree, then two (second being an angel tree); now we are back to one by my daughter and her husband cut theirs down on the same trip. Same routine...get there 5 minutes before they open so when the open the gate we are one of the first five cars and have the place to ourselves.

When the kids were young, every year one of them would leave the farm in tears as their pick was not chosen. Laying on muddy, icy, hard, uncomfortable earth and struggling to cut a tree which became bigger and bigger each year as having a cathedral family room ceiling gave us the ability to cut the tallest tree in the orchard. Thankfully, we have downsized and there is a ceiling limit now:)!

We joke that the only day of the year my wife and I have words is the day we have to drag the tree in the house and get it perfectly straight in the tree stand. That never goes well...

I long for an artificial tree...but will trade the unlimited number of guilt free rounds of golf that have been bartered.

The link didn't work.

As far as trees go:

As a kid, we had an artificial tree set on a rotating stand my father made. Lots of people couldn't understand how it worked and he would just kid them and say that every night he unwinds the wire after it coils up from rotating. We had traditional glass ornaments and tacky tinsel. We used the rotating feature to help string the lights. I was the switch man controlling the small rotations while my dad was on the ladder with the lights.

After I got married, we tried a fresh tree a couple of times but found it was way too much effort and to messy. Now-a-days the real trees are IMO too expensive.

The artificial trees have evolved for the better. Years ago we had to assemble the tree every year with color coded branches. Small ones on top, medium in the middle, etc. Our primary tree now is great. Four sections that simply slide together within integrated plug for the lights. When the season is over I simply take the sections to the basement and set it up there for storage. It precludes having to box it and re-fluff the branches every ear. $200 at Home Depot a few Januarys ago

As we've settled into retirement we now go with three themed artificial trees. One is in the breakfast area is a candy theme. Another in the dining room is black and white harlequin. The 9 footer in the family room is adorned with red and gold ornaments and poinsettia minis and gold curly thingies.

The wife gets inspiration from the Hershey Gardens Christmas Tree Showcase:

https://www.ydr.com/picture-gallery...rshey-gardens-runs-through-jan-1/71680690007/

Reactions: HALL85
One Christmas when my daughter was around 8 years old I was probing her for gift ideas.

She hinted that she wanted a new bicycle because the one she had was "dorky".

At one point she told me that she now knew that Santa Claus was not real and asked me not to get mad at her. She then added that I shouldn't tell Mom because Mom still believes in Santa Claus.

Good read and always happy to give a Pirate a click.

Grew up with a real tree and for me that’s the only way to go; however, when my kids were 9 months and my son was still on oxygen (by Christmas it was only when sleeping, not 24/7), we didn’t do a tree. On Christmas Eve, I bought a 1/2 off 9’ high quality tree from Home Depot. It’s really, really nice and we decorated it that year by jamming the kids stuffed animals on it. They loved it (as much as 9-month-olds could).

So now, we’re back to 3 trees but one is faux.

Large Fraser fir in the living room (2-story). That gets colored lights, variety of ornaments including glass as the room is carpeted. Branches are strong and can hold heavy ornaments. This year it’s 10'. But Fraser’s don’t give off heavy scent, so…

Smaller Douglas fir in the sitting room/piano room/soon to be Daddy’s room (wet bar, coffee set up, true getaway space for me off the foyer). Smell is great. This gets white lights with a lot of glass ornaments and birds. Snowy village gets set up on top of the piano.

Faux tree in the foyer, wood floors so durable ornaments. Ties into the lighted garland on all of the banisters. Did real pine garland and strung white lights exactly one year, but cost, effort and mess pushed me to a good quality fake garland. Replaced it all 3 years ago with LED lit garland to stop fighting the lights.

Every year it feels like too much effort, but when it’s all set up, it’s great.

Bill, great piece and always enjoy reading your musings:

What is your go-to Christmas tree?
Faux or real? Real (My family was faux and my wife was real - not the hill I chose to die on.
Blue spruce or Fraser fir? Douglas Fir
White lights or multicolor? Multi-color
Garland or tinsel (remember those shiny silver strands from way back in the day that made a mess)? Neither Hallmark ornaments or family keepsakes? Combination - we have so many that only half fit on the two trees - Once again, not the hill I chose to die on.

It’s all part of the holiday mosaic that plays out as soon as the last piece of pie is consumed at the Thanksgiving celebration. For many, the annual trek to the Christmas tree farm is near on the horizon.
For our family, it's a long-standing tradition that the kids and now grandchild are ingrained. For the past 20+ years we have trekked to the same farm (Cherryville Farms) to cut down a tree, the Saturday after Thanksgiving It started with one tree, then two (second being an angel tree); now we are back to one by my daughter and her husband cut theirs down on the same trip. Same routine...get there 5 minutes before they open so when the open the gate we are one of the first five cars and have the place to ourselves.

When the kids were young, every year one of them would leave the farm in tears as their pick was not chosen. Laying on muddy, icy, hard, uncomfortable earth and struggling to cut a tree which became bigger and bigger each year as having a cathedral family room ceiling gave us the ability to cut the tallest tree in the orchard. Thankfully, we have downsized and there is a ceiling limit now:)!

We joke that the only day of the year my wife and I have words is the day we have to drag the tree in the house and get it perfectly straight in the tree stand. That never goes well...

I long for an artificial tree...but will trade the unlimited number of guilt free rounds of golf that have been bartered.
Great stories. Love the traditions and memories. With all your commentary, you should write a piece as well. You've got some talent in the writing dept. I worked ad agencies all my life as a brand strategist, client guru and head guy. Tough but rewarding business. All about keeping my brain engaged by writing and reading. Helps me stay away from the Rivals Board. As for golf - great negotiation. I played today - little cold. Walked 18 and the pups are barking. Thanks for the reads and comments. Glad you enjoy.

The link didn't work.

As far as trees go:

As a kid, we had an artificial tree set on a rotating stand my father made. Lots of people couldn't understand how it worked and he would just kid them and say that every night he unwinds the wire after it coils up from rotating. We had traditional glass ornaments and tacky tinsel. We used the rotating feature to help string the lights. I was the switch man controlling the small rotations while my dad was on the ladder with the lights.

After I got married, we tried a fresh tree a couple of times but found it was way too much effort and to messy. Now-a-days the real trees are IMO too expensive.

The artificial trees have evolved for the better. Years ago we had to assemble the tree every year with color coded branches. Small ones on top, medium in the middle, etc. Our primary tree now is great. Four sections that simply slide together within integrated plug for the lights. When the season is over I simply take the sections to the basement and set it up there for storage. It precludes having to box it and re-fluff the branches every ear. $200 at Home Depot a few Januarys ago

As we've settled into retirement we now go with three themed artificial trees. One is in the breakfast area is a candy theme. Another in the dining room is black and white harlequin. The 9 footer in the family room is adorned with red and gold ornaments and poinsettia minis and gold curly thingies.

The wife gets inspiration from the Hershey Gardens Christmas Tree Showcase:

https://www.ydr.com/picture-gallery...rshey-gardens-runs-through-jan-1/71680690007/
Great highlights. We may be heading the ariticial route soon. 67 is not the time to be climbing hills. My grandson is helping me this years as my wife had a fractured hip. I love the reference to "thingies." A lot of those reside in my house. Try this link: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/make...aw%3D%3D/?trackingId=S6kjrRFoSH2eFVtcdyYqaw==

Great stories. Love the traditions and memories. With all your commentary, you should write a piece as well. You've got some talent in the writing dept. I worked ad agencies all my life as a brand strategist, client guru and head guy. Tough but rewarding business. All about keeping my brain engaged by writing and reading. Helps me stay away from the Rivals Board. As for golf - great negotiation. I played today - little cold. Walked 18 and the pups are barking. Thanks for the reads and comments. Glad you enjoy.
Thanks for the kind compliment. My undergrad degree was in chemistry and outside of balancing an equation, I couldn’t really string a sentence together. Got my MBA and Marketing from good old Seton hall and took a hard right turn into product management and marketing. Was lucky to have a boss who was patient and taught me about writing copy.

Made me think of one other Christmas tree tradition. There are never enough lights that I can put on the tree according to my wife. And of course, each year at least two or three strands crap out AFTER i’ve tested them and put them on the tree.

Enjoyed reading the other stories, as I’ve had the good fortune to meet both Pirata and Sami. Two grounded guys that I would share a drink anytime. Being totally irreverent earns points too!

Played 18 today as well and it was a good day to walk even though my partner and I rode. But we won $35 each in the throw in so all good. Keep writing!

i love real trees. how can you not? unfortunately our tree is fake since its placed beside the fireplace that we use. not messing around with a dead tree near fire. we get a smaller real one for downstairs so we can at least have something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT