ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Kelly....to LSU??!

To me what this signifies is more than money. Without knowing specifics, I'm sure Kelly gets paid (and has made) a ton at ND, and could have parlayed LSU interest into even more money. What it tells me is that Kelly thinks he has a much better shot at actually winning a title at LSU, despite the increased competition he will have week-in, week-out in the SEC. Kelly has shown he can get ND into the final 4/football playoffs, but I think he realizes that may be the ceiling for him there. That's good for most, but it has to be devastating to Notre Dame fans, many of whom likely believe you have as good a shot at winning a title there as a school like LSU.

Reactions: Hall-O-Daze
ND won’t admit poor students and that means you have little chance to win a national championship .The money is great but in addition Kelly realized like urban Meyer before him without the ability to get unqualified recruits in your chances to win it all are slim.I think this reality finally wore on Kelly.When Meyer was contacted before Kelly was hired he indicated if ND wouldn’t let him get 5 recruits admitted per season that otherwise would not qualify then don’t bother to send the plane to bring me in for interview.As we all know he won championships at Florida and Ohio State and I suspect the 5 limit was greatly expanded perhaps unlimited.at both schools.

Certain football schools still hold academic standards. ND, Stanford, Duke and Northwestern to name a few. At LSU Kelly will be able to admit anyone who can run, block, tackle or pass regardless of their grades or test scores.

I believe Kelly was making around 3 Million a year at ND. His rumored contract at LSU is around 10 Million a year.

To me what this signifies is more than money. Without knowing specifics, I'm sure Kelly gets paid (and has made) a ton at ND, and could have parlayed LSU interest into even more money. What it tells me is that Kelly thinks he has a much better shot at actually winning a title at LSU, despite the increased competition he will have week-in, week-out in the SEC. Kelly has shown he can get ND into the final 4/football playoffs, but I think he realizes that may be the ceiling for him there. That's good for most, but it has to be devastating to Notre Dame fans, many of whom likely believe you have as good a shot at winning a title there as a school like LSU.

This is exactly how I feel. Kelly, IMO, has accomplished pretty much all he can at ND. And credit to him, ND was very close to going the way of Nebraska or Texas into irrelevancy and he turned the corner. A couple of playoff appearances and a bunch of 10 win seasons is pretty much the ceiling right now. At LSU you can argue he has a legit chance to win championships (even if it's tougher to get there).

It's the only logical reason as to why he would leave, right? He's in no jeopardy to lose his job at ND; if things break right, they could be in the final 4 again this season (although a few things would have to happen for that to occur). He has them consistently good, he's gotten to a title game, he sends kids to the league and I don't believe he's had any kind of significant scandal. Financially he's more than fine and could have used this likely to get more money from ND.

The only reason has to be that he sees LSU as giving him a better chance of getting a title because of how the SEC is elevated compared to other leagues, and because LSU is still one of the better jobs in that league. It is probably also easier for him to land a particular type of recruit at LSU compared to ND, whether because of academics (I believe ND still is more selective there than other high major football powers) or geography -- getting kids from Georgia/Florida hotbeds, or in state, likely an easier sell at LSU.

Interestingly, I think Riley went to USC for a similar reason, albeit going away from the SEC. His contract details, if as reported, are insane -- more and significant $, real estate stuff, apparently use of the private jet for his family whenever he wants. So the perks are insane. But I also think the "big picture" of where he can take Oklahoma compared to USC played a role in it. The road to the championship/football play gets significantly harder for OK with the move to the SEC. In the Big 12, they were the true power team during his tenure (this year aside), especially with the drop off of Texas. He could schedule a big opponent OOC and if he won the conference with perhaps 1 loss, he had a good chance of getting into the football playoff. Now OK will be competing in a much deeper conference and with the big boys of Bama and Georgia. I think he sees USC as a place he can recruit at a high-level, replace Oregon at the top of the Pac 12, and have a legit shot of being in the playoff each year with a much easier road.

Reactions: SHUMA04
What I am most interested in now is to see how many ND players follow him to LSU, how many OU players follow Riley to USC. Moves like this could set a school back 3 years if enough talent follows. If Luke Fickell takes either job does he have enough young talent to take out of Cincy with him. Now we will see how the immediate eligibility can destroy a program with just a couple dominos falling.

Was in Columbus on business recently, and ended up spending time with some people connected to the Ohio State football program. This is before the recent HC movement an when USC, LSU and Florida were all still open. The guys I met swore Fickell wasn't going to take any of those jobs if pursued. As they explained it, the guy is from the Midwest, his family likes that area, his recruiting-based is principally in that area, and it is basically all he knows. They said he was content at Cincy and has ultimate job security there, and that he believes there is something to be said for being the king of his own little fiefdom, especially in an area of the country he loves. That said, they also acknowledged he recognizes he's taken Cincy about as far as it can go. A few weeks back, there were all kinds of rumors about Franklin possibly jumping to USC (or even LSU), and that Fickell would be a logical candidate for Penn State. These guys said it would be "hard" for Fickell to take a job in the same conference as Ohio State, but Penn State might be hard to turn down if that scenario played out because of the geography, program and that you can potentially take that program to a place Cincy can't reach.

All that said, the ND job would seem to check a lot of boxes for Fickell given what I was told.

What I am most interested in now is to see how many ND players follow him to LSU, how many OU players follow Riley to USC. Moves like this could set a school back 3 years if enough talent follows. If Luke Fickell takes either job does he have enough young talent to take out of Cincy with him. Now we will see how the immediate eligibility can destroy a program with just a couple dominos falling.
ND fans have to not only worry about the current players on the roster, ND has two very good recruiting classes lined up. How many of those players will follow him? In addition to players following Kelly, he is already trying to bring both coordinators with him.

USC got a 5 star QB to commit who was originally going to OU.

Should be a very interesting next few weeks/months in college football

My sense is that ND will not compromise on admission standards for scholarship athletes and likely will not win a football national title for the foreseeable future.I am a lifelong fan and I wish they would, but I respect their position.Theyvalso will not pay what recent signings indicate e.g. 9 million for 10 years

Reactions: SHUMA04 and SHUMatt
ND fans have to not only worry about the current players on the roster, ND has two very good recruiting classes lined up. How many of those players will follow him? In addition to players following Kelly, he is already trying to bring both coordinators with him.

USC got a 5 star QB to commit who was originally going to OU.

Should be a very interesting next few weeks/months in college football
I wouldn't be worried about the following recruiting classes. Could Michael Mayer the best TE in the college game leave for LSU? If Kelly's a big believer in Tyler Buchner does he take him?

My problem with the whole system is the schools where the coaches leave can take it up the rear. Right now Notre Dame and Oklahoma don't have a coach. So you have players in limbo and the former coach is established at a new place and can raid their former employer. What's stopping Kelly or Riley raiding their former school while neither has a coach. There needs to be a player deterrent to follow a coach from one school to another. Just think if this was 2 years ago, Buzz Williams could've taken all of his younger players from VT right to A&M with him.

I wouldn't be worried about the following recruiting classes. Could Michael Mayer the best TE in the college game leave for LSU? If Kelly's a big believer in Tyler Buchner does he take him?

My problem with the whole system is the schools where the coaches leave can take it up the rear. Right now Notre Dame and Oklahoma don't have a coach. So you have players in limbo and the former coach is established at a new place and can raid their former employer. What's stopping Kelly or Riley raiding their former school while neither has a coach. There needs to be a player deterrent to follow a coach from one school to another. Just think if this was 2 years ago, Buzz Williams could've taken all of his younger players from VT right to A&M with him.
The national signing period is 2 weeks away. ND has one of the top recruiting classes they were all set to sign. I guarantee Kelly is calling each of those players and trying to bring them to LSU.

I don't know if the rule is still in place for transfers that their current school can put stipulations on where the kids can transfer to. I also dont know how I feel on the rule. On one hand the kid agreed to play for a particular coach and school. If that coach is no longer there the agreement is broken. On the other hand if the coach goes and raids his former team that is a real shitty thing to do.

ND just hired their defensive coordinator as head coach. I like the hire.

ND just hired their defensive coordinator as head coach. I like the hire.
Keeping Tommy Rees and the entire staff basically together will be a huge bonus. Notre Dame has had a formula the last 5 years of basically have a couple big time draft picks on the offensive line as well as being deep on the defensive line. Notre Dame has also been solid on the kicking game. The way the offensive line started the season for ND and how it finished the season is the reason they are in the playoff picture. I’m interested to see how Freeman is as a head coach. Brian Kelly was aggressive on 4th downs and pretty good with clock management.

Reactions: SHUMatt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT