ADVERTISEMENT

Brittney Griner

Pirata

All American
Dec 21, 2009
Sentenced to nine years prison in Russia.

A couple of thoughts.

While I see the hypocrisy of her disrespecting the anthem and flag and now relying on the USA to help her, I don't agree with the right wing harsh criticism and piling on. Let's get her home. I am sure this experience will impart some maturing.

I doubt she does the time. The question is what will it cost to get her home.

Assuming she does come home, I would like to think she makes some sort of an apology for her prior antics.

Reactions: shu09

A couple of thoughts.

While I see the hypocrisy of her disrespecting the anthem and flag and now relying on the USA to help her, I don't agree with the right wing harsh criticism and piling on. Let's get her home. I am sure this experience will impart some maturing.

Assuming she does come home, I would like to think she makes some sort of an apology for her prior antics.
This is part of putin proxy war vs us...if trump is in office same outcome for now

This has been going on for the last 70 years and longer.

The Cold War was real.

A couple of thoughts.

I doubt she makes any apology for or change anything.

While guilty, the sentencing is far too harsh.

sentence is crazy. shes not the smartest , but i dont think her actions were malicious. she definitely doesnt deserve to be in prison

sentence is crazy. shes not the smartest , but i dont think her actions were malicious. she definitely doesnt deserve to be in prison
Russia, China, and a lot of other places don't care about whether or not someone deserves to be in prison. The issue going forward with Griner being a high profile story what will the US have to give up to get her back home safe. Whatever the deal is, you know Putin isn't going to lose, especially after his own people are questioning about going into the Ukraine. He can't afford to just give her back without getting something in return.

Reactions: Pirata
Russia, China, and a lot of other places don't care about whether or not someone deserves to be in prison. The issue going forward with Griner being a high profile story what will the US have to give up to get her back home safe. Whatever the deal is, you know Putin isn't going to lose, especially after his own people are questioning about going into the Ukraine. He can't afford to just give her back without getting something in return.
we will never win a chicken match with russia or china because they dont care about human rights, especially of their own citizens.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
we will never win a chicken match with russia or china because they dont care about human rights, especially of their own citizens.
The USA should always strive to be better today than it was yesterday, but when people see first hand how bad it could be, I hope they appreciate this country.

The USA should always strive to be better today than it was yesterday, but when people see first hand how bad it could be, I hope they appreciate this country.
i agree but at the same time we can still look towards other nations as means to improve.

While guilty, the sentencing is far too harsh.

Her sentence has nothing to do with her crime.

It was set unduly high for political and bargaining reasons.

Had the sentence been fair, the US would have no basis to respond.

Is her sentence different than others receive for the same in Russia? It is certainly obscene from our perspective (even with us over-penalizing these kinds of offenses here), but other countries are much more draconian on drug offenses.

Can't fix stupid. She is an entitled athlete who didn't pay attention to the world around her and country she was in. I don't like Americans being mistreated by other countries but she walked right into this and is 100% responsible. Wake up when you travel outside our country - our justice system is not outside our borders. She is being used as a bargaining chip because she is famous and Putin will win this battle and get something back in return. If this was an unknown person you would never hear about this.

Reactions: SPK145 and HALL85
She deserves to spend some time in a Russian prison, perhaps a year or two. Should not be a bargaining chip.

Last edited:
Reactions: batts
She’s also not the only WNBA player to play in Russia either. Sue Bird played over there for several years in the off-season.

And given the conflict with Ukraine, you would think you should be overly cautious. As 112 said, you can’t fix stupid. Maybe she should take a knee and see how that works out.

She deserves to spend some time in a Russian prison, perhaps a year or two. Should not be a bargaining chip.
Exactly! 9 and 1/2 year sentence is clearly excessive. She deserves time for the crime she committed, coupled by her stupidity. I'd settle for 2 years in jail before she is released.

Reactions: SPK145
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT