ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Hamburger was Mark Bryant's coach at Columbia HS?

Bluebeard

All World
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Bruce was quoted in the Carino story about St Anthony's. You mean PJ hired a coach of a top recruit that started all the success he had in the late 80 's and early 90's??? I never knew that. When did Bruce join PJ's staff? The first year of Bryant bring at the Hall?

I never heard of this. Not saying it didn't happen but I'm sure it would have been very prominent and newsworthy.

He was the JV coach at Columbia when Mark played there.

He later went to Seton Hall as a grad assistant, which wasn't crazy at the time because things were different back then and also because he grew up in Maplewood and worked local camps and stuff.

Reactions: Bigwig2000
Well, Hamburger was Bryant's coach at Columbia but I don't recall him coming with Bryant. But he as there by 1989!

Again, he was the JV coach. And Mark certainly never played JV at Columbia. Bruce's coming to Seton Hall later was coincidental. He was just as local to SHU as Mark was!

Bruce was quoted in the Carino story about St Anthony's. You mean PJ hired a coach of a top recruit that started all the success he had in the late 80 's and early 90's??? I never knew that. When did Bruce join PJ's staff? The first year of Bryant bring at the Hall?

Bryant was at SHU from 1984-1988 I believe. According to Hamburgers bio at FDU, he joined the SHU staff in 1986 and was coaching at Trenton St under Kevin Bannon in 1984.

http://www.fduknights.com/coaches.aspx?rc=608

Bryant was at SHU from 1984-1988 I believe. According to Hamburgers bio at FDU, he joined the SHU staff in 1986 and was coaching at Trenton St under Kevin Bannon in 1984]
http://www.fduknights.com/coaches.aspx?rc=608
I had never heard this and these type of details I would have known if I was following the Pirates back then. Thanks guys. I thought it was weird when I read this quote.

Mark grew up in South Orange, played a ton of ball at Farrell Field, was coached in the 8th grade by Butch larkin. Was on the South orange Subrban league team. His brother was a walk on for PJ. Yes Bruce did coach him at the HS level and ended up with him at Seton Hall.

All of that is true.... an interesting sidelight to that is how Columbia's varsity coach at the time left after Mark (and three of the other starters) graduated from the best team in school history. He would have LOVED to have parlayed that into a position of some kind at SHU, and did gave it his best shot, but there was absolutely no chance of that happening.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT