ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce-Season-Health

Nbnylon

Senior
Apr 30, 2019
I’m not a Dr. but, as much as it pains me, I think it’s time to make the inevitable decision that Bryce should officially call it quits for the season.

As much as I like him and love him as a player I believe its in the best interest of everyone that the decision be made now.

After suffering a concussion you are at an extremely high rate of the possibility of suffering another one as he did and the percentages keep rising for future occurrences.

If Bryce was cleared say tomorrow I believe it will take him at least as many games/weeks as he missed to get back to some level of what he was before the concussion. The season would in all likelihood be over by then. The other issue is the psychology of coming back and knowing what we know about the percentages. Does he drive to contact, etc like he used to so he can “get to the line.”

Based on all the factors and Bryce’s health and future being our first priority I think the decision be made to make the decision now. That way the team can let go of “the crutch” hoping he will come back to be the savior and know that the season is up to them and more importantly Bryce can focus on one thing only, getting better.

Reactions: mbraue
If you go back and look at previous games and how many times he was knocked to the floor and shaken up on drives to the basket....... you will see that it probably came to light that he was hurting before the blow to the chin and it was that blow that had them take a really close look at his health. Just my hunch.

I’m not a Dr. but, as much as it pains me, I think it’s time to make the inevitable decision that Bryce should officially call it quits for the season.

As much as I like him and love him as a player I believe its in the best interest of everyone that the decision be made now.

After suffering a concussion you are at an extremely high rate of the possibility of suffering another one as he did and the percentages keep rising for future occurrences.

If Bryce was cleared say tomorrow I believe it will take him at least as many games/weeks as he missed to get back to some level of what he was before the concussion. The season would in all likelihood be over by then. The other issue is the psychology of coming back and knowing what we know about the percentages. Does he drive to contact, etc like he used to so he can “get to the line.”

Based on all the factors and Bryce’s health and future being our first priority I think the decision be made to make the decision now. That way the team can let go of “the crutch” hoping he will come back to be the savior and know that the season is up to them and more importantly Bryce can focus on one thing only, getting better.

If you had stopped after the first sentence, sadly, this could have been written a year ago.

I just want to know .Are we 100% sure he got that 2nd concussion from the glancing blow to the chin?
If you had stopped after the first sentence, sadly, this could have been written a year ago.
I get what your saying. But had that been the case we wouldn’t even be a bubble team. Without his contribution in the earlier games we wouldn’t even be where we are.

Reactions: MBF72 and mbraue
You could have stopped after "I'm not a Dr...". Truth is, none of us are privy to his medical condition or what doctors have advised him.

Yes I agree its detrimental to the team to always have to wonder about Aiken's status for a 2nd year in a row. But that's only because he is such a dynamic and valuable player when he is close to 100%. We all believe the team is much stronger when Bryce is playing.

If there is still a chance for him to return for either the remaining 5 games or the BET or the NCAAT, then I think it would be unfair to tell him to hang it up now. I'm sure he badly wants to play and if there is a chance, he should keep trying.

As for the team, you just prepare with the mindset that he will not return and if he does its a bonus.

You could have stopped after "I'm not a Dr...". Truth is, none of us are privy to his medical condition or what doctors have advised him.

Yes I agree its detrimental to the team to always have to wonder about Aiken's status for a 2nd year in a row. But that's only because he is such a dynamic and valuable player when he is close to 100%. We all believe the team is much stronger when Bryce is playing.

If there is still a chance for him to return for either the remaining 5 games or the BET or the NCAAT, then I think it would be unfair to tell him to hang it up now. I'm sure he badly wants to play and if there is a chance, he should keep trying.

As for the team, you just prepare with the mindset that he will not return and if he does its a bonus.
I know its tough to tell an athlete to hang it up for the season as they need to do it on their terms. However as a parent, no matter how old your child is, when you look at the amount of time he has been battling this (5 weeks and at least 8 games) is the possible reward worth the risk…? Sorry but the answer imo is no if he was my son.

Its over. Even if he comes back its gonna take time and with only 5 games left and BE tourny. Hed have to come back now to stop the bleeding

2-4 w Aiken, 4-4 without. 🤔

I kid. That’s completely misleading. Just some board humor.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
Even if that decision is made internally, it shouldn't be publicized. We want our resume evaluated on the expectation he does return. If it's evaluated on the knowledge that he's done, the non-conference portion of our resume loses most of it's weight.

Reactions: shu09

Only, we don’t know that it’s detrimental to the team because while we fans may be in the dark, who knows what they know. I mean, the original post starts as “I’m not a doctor” and then goes on to a long opinion how it’s best for Bryce from a medical standpoint to hang it up. We simply don’t know.

It’s a distraction to us. Maybe it’s not a distraction to them and Kevin, quite frankly, could have just handled it better by saying “we’re not going to discuss Bryce”. Of course, he’d be crucified.

I think Willard's approach now is good. Assume he is out for the year, and move forward as if he is not coming back. If in fact he does, you play him based on how effective he is.

guys legs finally kicked in, no problems, and because that goblin Eliot whacks his face now hes done, makes me so mad, he was known for the leg probs and this season was amazin, now one whack to the jaw and done, he was doing so well, only us, other players get smashed in the face and are ok eventually, not out this long, 6 weeks is a long time to be out for this as football players who smash each others heads often come back within a month and thats not counting the constant practice hits etc..... Marquette I hope we play you in the BET and ELIOT with his ET eyes

Only, we don’t know that it’s detrimental to the team because while we fans may be in the dark, who knows what they know. I mean, the original post starts as “I’m not a doctor” and then goes on to a long opinion how it’s best for Bryce from a medical standpoint to hang it up. We simply don’t know.

It’s a distraction to us. Maybe it’s not a distraction to them and Kevin, quite frankly, could have just handled it better by saying “we’re not going to discuss Bryce”. Of course, he’d be crucified.
Not from a medical standpoint but from someone who has a close family member that suffered one playing football in the fall years back and then that winter a second one on a soft elbow to the head going for a rebound. Dr. Gave a lengthy lesson on concussions and future concussions.

2-4 w Aiken, 4-4 without. 🤔

I kid. That’s completely misleading. Just some board humor.
It's not misleading. Truth is beating Nova in Philly and UConn in Storrs are difficult tasks for any team with a full squad. We managed to hang with both teams without Aiken.

Richmond has come a long way in 5 games and Harris is getting his sea legs. Knowing that Aiken won't be back helps to develop a serviceable game plan going forward. We have enough talent to finish the season on a good note.

We are not dead by any means.

GO PIRATES!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT