Sat. 2/8/25 @ Georgetown

Sat. 2/15/25 vs. UCONN

Tue. 2/18/25 @ Marquette

Sun. 2/23/25 vs. Xavier

Wed. 2/26/25 vs. Villanova

Sat. 3/1/25 @ St. John's (@ Carnesecca)

Tue. 3/4/25 vs. Creighton

Sat. 3/8/25 @ UConn (Venue TBD)

Even if there is a decent helping of SHU fans for a Saturday game @ MSG, I can't imagine that St. John's would turn down the revenue of playing @ MSG vs. playing at Queens. 3/1 falls on an off night in the middle of a 3 game in 4 night homestand for the Rangers so it's very possible the venue is unavailable.

The home game with St .John's will certainly be a 730-8pm tip but there are no Devils on Feb. 15. Hoping for a noon tip against UCONN in the FOX national TV window.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Tue. 12/17/24 @ Villanova (@ Pavillion)

Sun. 12/22/24 vs. Georgetown

Tue. 12/31/24 @ Xavier

Wed. 1/8/25 vs. DePaul

Sat. 1/11/25 @ Providence

Wed. 1/15/25 @ Butler

Sat. 1/18/25 vs. St. John's

Tue. 1/21/25 vs. Marquette

Sat. 1/25/25 at Creighton

Tue. 1/28/25 vs. Providence

Sun. 2/2/25 @ DePaul

Wed. 2/5/25 vs. Butler

Sat. 2/8/25 @ Georgetown

Sat. 2/15/25 vs. UCONN

Tue. 2/18/25 @ Marquette

Sun. 2/23/25 vs. Xavier

Wed. 2/26/25 vs. Villanova

Sat. 3/1/25 @ St. John's (@ Carnesecca)

Tue. 3/4/25 vs. Creighton

Sat. 3/8/25 @ UConn (Venue TBD)
Pretty nice 6 game start to the league schedule to get off on a good note.

Even if there is a decent helping of SHU fans for a Saturday game @ MSG, I can't imagine that St. John's would turn down the revenue of playing @ MSG vs. playing at Queens. 3/1 falls on an off night in the middle of a 3 game in 4 night homestand for the Rangers so it's very possible the venue is unavailable.
They are playing all their Big East home games at MSG except for Depaul, Butler and us. At least based on the schedule I just saw.

I think it’s the opposite.
No way. Why would they play Uconn, Prov, Nova, Gtown etc? Seems there are schools they will always play there, and then a subset who it depends on how they are projected, scheduling conflicts and what the draw might be. Fear of our crowd size at MSG ain’t it. Big East tourney game just one example of that

It's already dead.
it is but shu still has a shot to make the tournament as long as sha is here and there's a shred of talent. i would treat it as a funeral. i may never see another shu game again. i'll try for SJU and Uconn on saturday... during dead zone times

Sad to see the Wells Fargo game against Nova go away, but can’t say I’m surprised. Haven’t seen the Nova schedule but I wonder if they will replace us with St. John’s on that Super Bowl weekend game in South Philly.

Pitino is wise enough to avoid giving any relatively local visiting team a chance to bring in their fan base into their arena. I don’t think you’ll see us playing at MSG again if he can help it.

You guys all have PDS. I was at the games the last two times we played in MSG and it wasn’t exactly Storrs South. If you play Uconn, Providence, Nova or Gtown in MSG you are going to get a contingent of opposing fans or in UConn’s case an arena at least half with them. So opposing crowd size has 0 to do with it, otherwise they would play those teams in Queens. It is about some combination of historical rivalries, strength of program, scheduling conflicts and of course $$$ because every home team is incentivized to sell as many tickets as possible and make money, absent a rare exception like when we play Rutgers in Newark and don’t open the top because we don’t want their fans flooding the gate.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
You guys all have PDS. I was at the games the last two times we played in MSG and it wasn’t exactly Storrs South. If you play Uconn, Providence, Nova or Gtown in MSG you are going to get a contingent of opposing fans or in UConn’s case an arena at least half with them. So opposing crowd size has 0 to do with it, otherwise they would play those teams in Queens. It is about some combination of historical rivalries, strength of program, scheduling conflicts and of course $$$ because every home team is incentivized to sell as many tickets as possible and make money, absent a rare exception like when we play Rutgers in Newark and don’t open the top because we don’t want their fans flooding the gate.
But who won the games? That’s what matters to Pitino.

They beat us in the BE tourney game.

I’m sure Uconn and Nova in particular have won 9,000 games at the Garden over the past however many years and yet I’m sure they will always play both at MSG.
The tournament is irrelevant to a regular-season discussion.

SHU is just to close and too convenient compared to the other schools. If I’m them, I’d make it as inconvenient as possible, just like they did last year playing at Belmont.

Reactions: Piratz
Leaving us with a brutal end of the season schedule. February 15th on is going to define the season.
Yes, the tail end of that schedule is indeed intense. If we're going to be as good as I think we'll be then those late season games will present a nice opportunity to enhance our resume.

Imo it is all pitino doesnt wany to play us there. We drew well at msg recently.
It's difficult to find dates at MSG but I don't think it's a coincidence we played at Alumni Hall two years ago, UBS last year, and Alumni Hall again this season. It's definitely strategic.

As a side note, in 2022 I met someone from St. John's athletic office. He told me St. John's was annoyed we played them at Walsh gym that season. Since then they haven't played us at MSG - is that coincidence or payback?

St. John's record at Home vs. Seton Hall last ten seasons:

2023-24: UBS Arena (Belmont), L
2022-23: Carnesecca, L
2021-22: MSG, L
2020-21: Carnesecca, L
2019-20: MSG, L
2018-19: MSG, W
2017-18: MSG, L
2016-17: MSG, W
2015-16: MSG, L
2014-15: Carnesecca, W
Hard to read anything from that, except that they continually played us at MSG during the best part of Willard’s tenure.

Btw my memory could be fading, but I could have sworn we lost to them in Queens Mamu’s senior year and then beat them a few weeks later in the first round of the BE tourney (the odd tourney that fans couldn’t attend still because of that COVID BS).

Reactions: radecicco
I was at one that was a virtual sell out, maybe Myles Jr year?. The others were well attended too, but closer to 11-12K. Havent seen one in a few years. Always great seeing some many Hall fans standing around Penn Sta waiting for their trains.

Pettiness can always be a part of the decision making process.

No msg events on march 1. Didnt realize ricky was such a chicken.
To me this is about limiting Kadary's exposure to our fans for their home game as much as anything else.

Rick and SJU are willing to sacrifice the ticket revenue from 2,000 SHU fans at MSG so Kadary doesn't have to hear it from us.

It's difficult to find dates at MSG but I don't think it's a coincidence we played at Alumni Hall two years ago, UBS last year, and Alumni Hall again this season. It's definitely strategic.

As a side note, in 2022 I met someone from St. John's athletic office. He told me St. John's was annoyed we played them at Walsh gym that season. Since then they haven't played us at MSG - is that coincidence or payback?
Interesting. Obviously we only played them at Walsh due to COVID issues. As I recall there were very few options to re-schedule that home game and we played them on the first date available but it had to be at Walsh.

The funny thing is their fans have never shown well in Newark.

But who won the games? That’s what matters to Pitino.
Yep. He’s not giving the other team close in proximity access to MSG. It’s how he operates. He’s obsessive like on details like this, always has been. It’s not about crowd size…. That’s for politicians.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
Yep. He’s not giving the other team close in proximity access to MSG. It’s how he operates. He’s obsessive like on details like this, always has been. It’s not about crowd size…. That’s for politicians.
Proximity aside, Uconn draws better at the Garden than we ever will. Uconn draws better than SJU many times at the Garden. Expanding what you guys think, why wouldn't he just play Uconn in Queens unless you think the Big East won't let him, but doesn't care where they play us because they value Uconn much more than Seton Hall. That's what I don't understand about your guys theory.

And then if he can't do that with Uconn, why wouldn't he do it with Providence? Hate to say it, but the Friar Faithful draw better in MSG than we do when it comes to stuff like Big East tourney, and I'm sure their regular season game against SJU has a large Friar contingent. So why don't play Providence in Queens? I can add Gtown and Nova to the same list, even if you don't think Gtown fans show up because they've been so bad and have atrocious attendance at home.

Proximity aside, Uconn draws better at the Garden than we ever will. Uconn draws better than SJU many times at the Garden. Expanding what you guys think, why wouldn't he just play Uconn in Queens unless you think the Big East won't let him, but doesn't care where they play us because they value Uconn much more than Seton Hall. That's what I don't understand about your guys theory.

And then if he can't do that with Uconn, why wouldn't he do it with Providence? Hate to say it, but the Friar Faithful draw better in MSG than we do when it comes to stuff like Big East tourney, and I'm sure their regular season game against SJU has a large Friar contingent. So why don't play Providence in Queens? I can add Gtown and Nova to the same list, even if you don't think Gtown fans show up because they've been so bad and have atrocious attendance at home.
The league won’t let them play Uconn at Alumni Hall. I actually just learned this last year. The league has final say where their games are played. I don’t know to what extent they get involved but for schools like Nova and St John’s the league has authority to dictate the site.

To what extent the league leverages this power I have no idea but I’m 100% positive it’s not solely St. John’s decision what games can be played at alumni hall.

It was less than a year ago that Pitino was talking about playing UConn at Alumni Hall with the flimsy excuse that it would be done to celebrate Lou Carnesecca's 100th birthday which is January 5.

Well, they're playing in Queens on January 4 but it's against Butler. And, of course, they're playing UConn at MSG.

The Big East isn't going make them play us at MSG. Realistically at this point, UConn may be the only school with a guaranteed spot if SJU ever cuts back to four or five games at MSG.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT