ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching update

Pirates1991

Senior
Jan 17, 2018
Hearing the following
Hurley decides on UConn and takes Mike Rice with him.
Willard going to Pitt
Sha to take over SHU and coaching staff stays in track. Will look to add experienced coach to assist.
Mack to leave Xavier for Louisville.

Sha to take over SHU and coaching staff stays in track. Will look to add experienced coach to assist.

willard-ralph.jpg

Reactions: Seton00
Hearing the following
Willard going to Pitt
All 5 hearings above are totally inaccurate. Go back to sleep.

I fear the most likely in your list is Mack to Louisville. Xavier loses a lot and has three 3-star guys coming in. If he's going to jump, this might be the year (and the opportunity he has craved). I don't think he would even have to move from the new house he built if memory serves from last year.

Hurley and Rice would be some combination. I'd give it 2 games before they start choking each other on the sidelines.

Firing Stallings to hire Willard would be brutal if you're a Pitt fan. I'm sure Willard is on their list though. D option maybe?

Holloway should leave and try to get a low major HC job somewhere. He has to go prove himself.

Again, it is what I am hearing. take it for what it is worth. or go back bashing players, former players, recruits, coaches etc.....

Reactions: Joe_T
Hurley and Rice would be some combination. I'd give it 2 games before they start choking each other on the sidelines.

Firing Stallings to hire Willard would be brutal if you're a Pitt fan. I'm sure Willard is on their list though. D option maybe?

Holloway should leave and try to get a low major HC job somewhere. He has to go prove himself.
If Willard leaves, I say give the job to Holloway as he seems to be very very good with kids and someone who can land quality players (top 100) on a regular basis.

Imagine we are the ones left without a chair at the end of this...
That's what is scary. It would be nice to do something for the guy who got us to 3 straight dances. Not to mention I believe this was the first year since 2005 we had 3 top 100 players on our roster and we have 3 top 100 players on the roster for the next 2 years.

If Willard leaves, I say give the job to Holloway as he seems to be very very good with kids and someone who can land quality players (top 100) on a regular basis.
I'm sure he'd be the top choice. Your guess is as good as mine if he'll be any good as a head coach at a high major. The player's seem to like him.

He's spent most of his time learning under Gonzo and Willard. Despite what insiders on here say, he's at best an average recruiter.

I'd much rather SH target a proven winner, but I have no faith the administration would do that. Lyons would either hand the keys to Holloway or hire the flavor of the week from the local area.

Let’s assume Willard leaves for another job. I would want us to give the job to Sha for a lot of reasons. I know many do not feel this way. I would like to hear who they would target instead.

Reactions: lokiSHU
Give me Sha. He knows what it takes to make this program successful, has good recruiting ties, and offers continuity to the program.

If Sha succeeds here I also don’t think that we will need to worry about him using the program as a stepping stone where someone from outside the program may.

Reactions: lokiSHU
I fear the most likely in your list is Mack to Louisville. Xavier loses a lot and has three 3-star guys coming in. If he's going to jump, this might be the year (and the opportunity he has craved). I don't think he would even have to move from the new house he built if memory serves from last year.

Xavier has quite a bit of talent coming back as well, will be near the very top in the BE again.

I'd love it to be Sha if Willard ever left but I've heard things that lead me to believe he may not be the guy.
Can you surround him and complement him with the right people or too big a blind spot. And I love Sha too!

Can Sha be the closer rather than the recruiter? I really don't know. Up until 2014 the teams recruiting hadn't been wonderful.

Dan as the guy closest to the program I am curious if you are hearing anything on this.

Give me Sha. He knows what it takes to make this program successful, has good recruiting ties, and offers continuity to the program.

If Sha succeeds here I also don’t think that we will need to worry about him using the program as a stepping stone where someone from outside the program may.
What's Barrett up to these days. Wouldnt mind seeing a former NBA player on Sha's staff if this were to go down.

Calling a guy who basically had a bunch of 10 day contracts an NBA player is a bit of a stretch... besides, I’d want someone who could recruit, not a guy who has never done it.

Jeff Goodman reporting that a name benign takked about at Pitt if no Hurley is Washingtons Mike Hopkins (formerly Syracuse coach in waiting). That would be an interesting hire...

Dan as the guy closest to the program I am curious if you are hearing anything on this.
No. So much has to happen at Pitt for them to even consider Willard.

That said if and when there comes a time that the finances are such that he would be foolish not to give a potential offer from another school serious consideration then yes and I would have no problem with that. He is no different than any other coach who might be overwhelmed by money.

Didn't Butler hand the keys to Avery Johnson who was an associate head coach but never a HC?

I meant LaVall Jordan, new Butler coach this year.

He was the head coach at Milwaukee for one season before he was hired by Butler. But it’s not like he had this extensive head coaching background and he looks to be a keeper. Sha could work out the same way.

Hearing the following
Willard going to Pitt
Well so far he got part of the first statement right.

I heard if Cox doesnt get the Rhode Island job, then he goes to Uconn as well. Let the Willard Watch begin, but I have seen Mike Hopkins of all people being listed now.

Well so far he got part of the first statement right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT