ADVERTISEMENT

College Sports and the NIL

batts

All World
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
I realize that payments to players and their families have gone on for years, but the NIL has lessoned my interest in college sports. It is turning amateur athletics into another form of professional sports. I have been rooting for our Pirates since 1987. A Pirate win means more to me than any regular season Yankee, Giant or Ranger win. I am hoping that my rooting passion for the Pirates continues but the NIL has definitely has put a serious damper on things for me. I really appreciate what various individuals are doing behind the scenes to keep us in the competitive mix of things but how are we going to fare against the huge booster / donor groups of the Power 5 schools?

Shaheen has got me excited about this year's Team but I am worried about recruiting in the future. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the issue.

It's not the overall concept of NIL, it's the concept of fans/boosters collectives.
Agreed! Unfortunately, booster / collective activities are running unchecked because of the Supreme Court decision broadly admonishing the NCAA from restricting player compensation.

Reactions: mbraue
One major issue with collectives is that the money does not go to a targeted sport. Not just men's sports in general. Instead it is divvied up between all sports programs, both men's a women's equally.

One major issue with collectives is that the money does not go to a targeted sport. Nor just men's sports in general. Instead it is divvied up between all sports programs, both men's a women's equally.
That's surprising. You would thing that the collective money would go to major revenue sports such as Football and Mens' Basketball. If I were a major donor, that's where I would player compensation money to go.

Reactions: SOBO1
One major issue with collectives is that the money does not go to a targeted sport. Not just men's sports in general. Instead it is divvied up between all sports programs, both men's a women's equally.

I’m thinking they probably have to pool money for all sports like this as focusing on solely FB and MBB would probably raise major Title IX issues. It would seem to be a pretty blatant violation of the “equal benefits” prong of the law imho, but I’m not a lawyer. It also holds up better to legal challenges if the “collective” actually is collectively paying everybody.

Reactions: Halldan1
Title IX applies to private donations? That doesn't seem right to me. I guess the school can require IX compliance as a condition for accepting the donation.

This is not accurate. For example, Ohio State’s collective goes strictly to football and men’s basketball. If someone wants to apply their pay for play donation to another sport they need to contact the collective and specifically request it - otherwise it goes to football or mbb.

Most collectives disclose that the board of advisors has a firm grasp on where funds are needed and disburse the funds accordingly. These collectives are generating tens of millions of dollars. If you think the vast majority of money isn’t going to football I got a bridge to sell ya.

I don’t think title IX has any impact here. The collective have no affiliation with the actual schools. These collectives aren’t education systems receiving funding from the federal government.

Last edited:
Logically, it shouldn't, but it does. NJ's law actually provides a bit more protection on that barring any institutional involvement at all. Where lawyers see an opportunity to make money, they will.

Nil has not effected my fandom. My issue is why cant kids be paid from the vast revenue they already have created rather than this. If not for the video company blatantly and legally robbing obannon, would nil even be an acronym anybody knows

Reactions: The SHUttle
This is not accurate. For example, Ohio State’s collective goes strictly to football and men’s basketball. If someone wants to apply their pay for play donation to another sport they need to contact the collective and specifically request it - otherwise it goes to football or mbb.

Most collectives disclose that the board of advisors has a firm grasp on where funds are needed and disburse the funds accordingly. These collectives are generating tens of millions of dollars. If you think the vast majority of money isn’t going to football I got a bridge to sell ya.
From what I'm seeing there's a lot of collectives not paying athletes. They're paying other charities to pay the athletes. I heard 2 schools don't want to pay the athletes through their non profit collectives because anyone can see the 990 that has to be filed. I hear they are paying local charities and the local charities are paying the players. They are worried about locker room morale once player X sees what player Y is getting paid. Once you google the 990, the top 5 highest independent contractors are listed to be seen by all. They're trying to spread each players money out through various charities.

Last edited:
Nil has not effected my fandom. My issue is why cant kids be paid from the vast revenue they already have created rather than this. If not for the video company blatantly and legally robbing obannon, would nil even be an acronym anybody knows
They are not being paid out of the revenue they create. That's the issue. Is Bryce Young playing football creating revenue for Nissan? No, but he's getting paid by them. I think most people are for pay them for billboards, jersey sales, video games, etc where they make people money as athletes. The rest is just disgusting attempts by alums to buy the best team they can.

Reactions: dehere23
They are not being paid out of the revenue they create. That's the issue. Is Bryce Young playing football creating revenue for Nissan? No, but he's getting paid by them. I think most people are for pay them for billboards, jersey sales, video games, etc where they make people money as athletes. The rest is just disgusting attempts by alums to buy the best team they can.
Yeah, that was my point. A subset of college athletes creare a huge revenue stream. Give those kids a fair share of that money. And if we did, fans would tell us they are losing interest in college hoops.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
"The rest is just disgusting attempts by alums to buy the best team they can."

Bingo! That bothers me but I guess it's been going on for years under the table. Look at Kentucky and Duke. Success in college BB is going to be controlled by the wealthiest of collectives. The illusion that our school's student athletes comprise a top basketball team is now forever exposed.

Only parroting what I have been told by a professional in the business who runs multiple NILs.

An example he gave me is Rutgers' collective NIL whose money must be spread out over every single sports program.

Short of that my only involvement in NILs is the donation I made to Seton Hall's and helping with the event coming up a week from Saturday.

Amen. I get the view the scholarship etc should be enough, but I get the other side too with what you are talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT