ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia law allows schools to pay athletes for NIL

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
More I only give a crap about me............

"If this law gets us closer to a federal or a national solution for college athletics then it will be more than worthwhile," University of Virginia athletic director Carla Williams said. "Until then, we have an obligation to ensure we maintain an elite athletics program at UVA."

Pitiful. Like this has nothing to do about giving her school a tremendous recruiting advantage.

In my view it is a better solution than trying to raise NIL funds every year. But I see the downside too.

I suspect that other states will follow suit. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think an arrangement like this would be a better situation for Seton Hall. The current setup (fan funded payroll) solely benefits the largest schools. More fans = higher payroll.

This new arrangement would allow our fans to make tax deductible donations to the school which could be used for player payroll. The end result is the same but it’s more realistic for smaller schools/fanbases.

Reactions: HallX2 and Piratz
I suspect that other states will follow suit. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think an arrangement like this would be a better situation for Seton Hall. The current setup (fan funded payroll) solely benefits the largest schools. More fans = higher payroll.

This new arrangement would allow our fans to make tax deductible donations to the school which could be used for player payroll. The end result is the same but it’s more realistic for smaller schools/fanbases.
I think you’re 100% right. But when you step back and think about it…Tax deductible donations to pay 18-23 year of athletes. What a scam.

Eventually? Probably. But to do this now without any other state having a similar system in place clearly tilts the recruiting playing field and that is the reason it's unfair.

I'm sure there were ways to discuss this with others before implementing it and the reality is it was done at this pace strictly for recruiting advantages.

New Jersey will drag their feet to do something similar and then Seton Hall will drag theirs. Sadly that’s just the way it goes.

It's not the idea I have an issue with, it's the unfair advantage of one state over the other 49.

This is naïve on my part but college sports needs some form of unity.

In this day and age I have to partially disagree.

If you asked me a year or so ago we would have been in lock step.

So next you'll see the state schools with mega-p4p deals. After all it will be the tax payer who will be funding the players. rutgers must be salivating over just the thought of how much $$$ idiot Murphy will funnel their way.

A future where the schools can directly pay the players would be an improvement over the current situation for Seton Hall.

This would seem to bring about serious Title IX issues.
How is that possible? If biologically born males can compete in women’s sports without being a title ix issue, this should get by with no problems lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT