ADVERTISEMENT

COVID and Resulting Teen Deaths

You are ignoring the Surgeon General's report that connects isolation to mental health issues.

Not really. That report was largely about a decades long trend that has been developing for many, many years and as Twenge noted, the trends were about the same during the pandemic. You've cited her work as being an expert on this topic and now that she said something which went against your presumption, you're just going to ignore what she said?

You just want to blame for any negative statistic on the isolation aspect of the pandemic, and ignore the fact tat any of the current metrics could have been the same or possibly even worse without any restrictive measures which were implemented.

Reactions: sussexcopirate
Not really. That report was largely about a decades long trend that has been developing for many, many years and as Twenge noted, the trends were about the same during the pandemic. You've cited her work as being an expert on this topic and now that she said something which went against your presumption, you're just going to ignore what she said?
I'm not ignoring what she said. Her studies over time are valuable as it relates to the effect of social media on teens. The intent though of her study was not to take into account the impact of the pandemic and it's also based on only a small segment of the population (teens). I pointed to a more detailed study from Kaiser that notes data from before and during the pandemic and increases in mental health related issues.
You just want to blame for any negative statistic on the isolation aspect of the pandemic, and ignore the fact tat any of the current metrics could have been the same or possibly even worse without any restrictive measures which were implemented.
Just like you are ignoring the Surgeon General?

I pointed to a more detailed study from Kaiser that notes data from before and during the pandemic and increases in mental health related issues.

Yeah, you'll switch to whatever you need... You started with an odd op-ed which didn't support your premise. You switched to Twenge who it turned out didn't support your premise, so then you switched to Kaiser who only looked at 2019 -2021 ... but zoom out and you see that it is a continuing trend and not the causation of 2020 isolation that you're implying and you switch to the surgeon general who is taking about a decades long transaction away from personal connection towards technology, and that report would still be written in 2023 had the pandemic never happened.

Again, here is how to prove your argument. Show state data where states which had less restrictive measures having a strong correlation with better health metrics. Less anxiety, depression, overdoes, suicides etc...

Yeah, you'll switch to whatever you need... You started with an odd op-ed which didn't support your premise. You switched to Twenge who it turned out didn't support your premise, so then you switched to Kaiser who only looked at 2019 -2021 ... but zoom out and you see that it is a continuing trend and not the causation of 2020 isolation that you're implying and you switch to the surgeon general who is taking about a decades long transaction away from personal connection towards technology, and that report would still be written in 2023 had the pandemic never happened.

You're slipping....YOU were the one who brought Twenge into the conversation....lol
Again, here is how to prove your argument. Show state data where states which had less restrictive measures having a strong correlation with better health metrics. Less anxiety, depression, overdoes, suicides etc...
Keep ignoring the Surgeon General. Your deflection shield has lost it's super power.

You're slipping....YOU were the one who brought Twenge into the conversation....lol

Not really. I brought up your old post. You brought up a new conversation with her.

Keep ignoring the Surgeon General. Your deflection shield has lost it's super power.

I'm not ignoring him, you just keep implying he's saying something which he isn't and your lack of even an attempt at proving your argument by showing a state by state analysis shows how weak your argument here is.

Not really. I brought up your old post. You brought up a new conversation with her.
Just stop...now you're trying to wiggle out of something. You brought her in to the discussion. Full stop.
I'm not ignoring him, you just keep implying he's saying something which he isn't and your lack of even an attempt at proving your argument by showing a state by state analysis shows how weak your argument here is.
The SG stated that there is a mental health crisis resulting from isolation. That sounds like cause and effect. What happened for an extended period of time during the pandemic? And why wasn't this ever discussed as a potential issue?

Just stop...now you're trying to wiggle out of something. You brought her in to the discussion. Full stop.

Lol... I brought up your old post because I thought you would recognize that this was a trend you were talking about years ago which has been happening for more than a decade, and then you made up another conversation with the author.

The SG stated that there is a mental health crisis resulting from isolation.

Which started well before the pandemic, yes.

what happened for an extended period of time during the pandemic?

Hundreds of thousands of deaths?

And why wasn't this ever discussed as a potential issue?

Sure.

The study does not conclusively prove that isolation was the cause but it does suggest it.

Number of youth suicides per month in 2018 - 567
Number of youth suicides per month in 2019 - 540
Number of youth suicides per month in 2020 (march - Dec) - 557

Was 2020 really an outlier? Even going along with the presumption that it was, how can we point everything at the isolation when the stress and anxiety that comes along with a global pandemic which is the leading cause of death in the US and causing millions of people to lose family members is not exactly insignificant.

Plus, the more restrictive states did not have a higher prevalence of suicide rates than the less restrictive states. I just don't believe isolation from Covid restrictions had nearly the impact that is being implied here.

Lol... I brought up your old post because I thought you would recognize that this was a trend you were talking about years ago which has been happening for more than a decade, and then you made up another conversation with the author.
So you brought it up. Thanks for admitting it. Are you just jealous that I've met her twice and had a conversation?
Which started well before the pandemic, yes.
And once again, due to isolation. Cause and effect.
Hundreds of thousands of deaths?
No...extended isolation
Thank you.

So you brought it up. Thanks for admitting it. Are you just jealous that I've met her twice and had a conversation?

Given the fact that she is on record presenting a view which is different than how your presenting her opinion here, and your track record of making up anecdotal facts previously... Yeah... super jealous.

and once again, due to isolation. Cause and effect.

Bigger font doesn't make it true. Not once in the report does it say "due to isolation" from Covid restrictions.
You may want that to be true, but it's not.

It does discuss decades long trends though, which yes, continued to get worse during the pandemic but again what you for some reason just entirely ignore is that all of these trends may have been no different at all without any imposed restrictions.

Given the fact that she is on record presenting a view which is different than how your presenting her opinion here, and your track record of making up anecdotal facts previously... Yeah... super jealous.

Bigger font doesn't make it true. Not once in the report does it say "due to isolation" from Covid restrictions.
You may want that to be true, but it's not.

It does discuss decades long trends though, which yes, continued to get worse during the pandemic but again what you for some reason just entirely ignore is that all of these trends may have been no different at all without any imposed restrictions.
Your word twisting has lost the fight today. I never made that claim. Pretty simple…Isolation leads to more mental health issues…we had extended isolation during the pandemic. Cause and effect.

• Haha
Reactions: sussexcopirate
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT