ADVERTISEMENT

COVID SHU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy to blame the unvaccinated players on the Hall, but, I pose this question: Out of the 4,500 positive cases in NYC yesterday, how many of those patients are vaccinated? I would guess the overwhelming majority. The NCAA/Big East needs to update it's Covid policy given how many breakthrough cases Omicron is causing amongst the vaccinated.
Sigh…I hesitate to reopen this debate here, but this, as I‘m sure you know, merely reflects that most people in NYC are vaccinated.

Take a simple example: 99 people are vaccinated, 2 are not. One vaccinated and one unvaccinated each have Covid. It is literally true to say that half the people with covid are vaccinated. But it would not be a very good way to estimate the likelihood of getting Covid given vaccination.

I'll keep this brief. That's a variant. Not the virus as a whole. And with (possibly, allegedly, supposedly) unvaccinated players, it's a heightened risk. I'm not gonna do the shame game here as a basketball message board is not the place for keyboard warrior to flex their muscles. It is what it is. We'll see the long term effects on how this team does throughout the season.

There's certainly a difference (although not close to what was promised/claimed nor acknowledged much at all) in transmission between vaccinated & unvaccinated status, but there really is negligible risk of truly serious complications for young, physically fit athletes so what exactly is your point here about a heightened risk?

UCLA postpones game last night. Why don’t they have to forfeit. Are rules different by conference?

Its not really blaming them. Its more of the procedures that need to be followed. For example if an unvaccinated player comes in contact with a positive person they must isolate, but a vaccinated player does not. So all the unvaccinated players are now in isolation whether they're positive or not.
So please explain the major spike in NYC quickly nearing March 2020 levels when the entire city is vaccinated

Whether you believe in the purpose of them or not, the protocols in place favor the vaccinated.

Puts us at big disadvantage competitively, I hope we all can agree on that and also that we all hope we can overcome these issues without it affecting our season too much.

Says who? Many of these kids barely know they have it because the symptoms are so mild. Unless we have a roster over 65 years of age suffering from obesity the effects are minimal.
because that exact scenario happened last year and was the given excuse

Whether you believe in the purpose of them or not, the protocols in place favor the vaccinated.

Puts us at big disadvantage competitively, I hope we all can agree on that and also that we all hope we can overcome these issues without it affecting our season too much.
Totally true. I work in healthcare and if you're not vaccinated and are positive you are missing almost two weeks but the vaccinated are better and negative in about a week sometimes less and back at it

This team messed up....

UCLA postpones game last night. Why don’t they have to forfeit. Are rules different by conference?

Was not a conference game and conference rules are all different.

Doesn’t matter if you get the jab or not, you can still get and transmit Covid. I don’t blame guys for not getting it especially with the risk of myocarditis. No need to risk heart issues over what amounts to a cold.
The risk of myocarditis is so small as to be almost entirely discounted, and is certainly dwarfed by the chances of developing serious complications even among low-risk groups, even as low as that is. Basically, the myocarditis excuse is an invented rationale and not a logical justification for not getting the shots.

Totally true. I work in healthcare and if you're not vaccinated and are positive you are missing almost two weeks but the vaccinated are better and negative in about a week sometimes less and back at it

This team messed up....
For all the praise we’ve been giving Willard recently, this screwup is on him…

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
As far as lingering effects go -- there may be none. Could be mild disease, quarantine, and return in 10 days. We will know soon enough.
This is the best possible outcome, and we should hope and/or pray for it. But its likelihood would certainly be enhanced among the vaccinated players, as you know.

So please explain the major spike in NYC quickly nearing March 2020 levels when the entire city is vaccinated
I'm not debating the cause of a spreading virus. I'm just stating what the policy is. If you're an unvaccinated player who has been around a vaccinated player you are missing at least 10 days whether your positive or not. Look at the NFL. Unvaccinated player is gone for two games no matter what. Vaccinated player can come back with 2 negatives tests.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
i can assure you there will be a change in rules as it is now impacting the NFL, NHL and NBA.

I would not be surprised if they go back to playing in empty arenas, etc. You absolutely cannot have teams forfeit games. It should be the same policy as last year (you try to make up games, and if not, you go to winning %).

Reactions: HALL85
For some education from a Doctor who analyzes and assesses the studies regarding all facets of Covid for a living, I'll refer the following podcast (I believe it to be a fairly balanced discussion on the topic):

Reactions: shu09
Nope, and I've been working with college athletes with COVID since this began. There is no "left" in the research.
Again you’re taking the tainted research by pharma and Faucci. Independent study showed 86% of those vaccinated had some level of myocarditis from the vaccine. Most mild but there’s nine the less. It’s much more prevalent in boys. You beginner what you like but the vaccine provides no benefit to kids their age.

Again you’re taking the tainted research by pharma and Faucci. Independent study showed 86% of those vaccinated had some level of myocarditis from the vaccine. Most mild but there’s nine the less. It’s much more prevalent in boys. You beginner what you like but the vaccine provides no benefit to kids their age.
The podcast talks in depth on the risks of myocarditis.

For some education from a Doctor who analyzes and assesses the studies regarding all facets of Covid for a living, I'll refer the following podcast (I believe it to be a fairly balanced discussion on the topic):
I trust the 95+% of doctors instead of the outliers like this one. It's a matter of numbers.

Do you want the free throw shooter at 95% or 5%?

Our hospitals can still function for reasons other than COVID that's the point of the jab
Of course I agree there- I'm not anti vaccine. Again, how can you blame the players when thousands of vaccinated patients are acquiring Covid in NYC? Many vaccinated pro athletes are in Covid protocols yet again...Look at all the breakthrough cases...

• Love
Reactions: flconticello
I trust the 95+% of doctors instead of the outliers like this one. It's a matter of numbers.

Do you want the free throw shooter at 95% or 5%?
Just listen to the podcast, that is discussed as well. Also, he is not an outlier, however, he is one of the Doctors offered a platform to discuss this issue.

Of course I agree there- I'm not anti vaccine. Again, how can you blame the players when thousands of vaccinated patients are acquiring Covid in NYC? Many vaccinated pro athletes are in Covid protocols yet again...Look at all the breakthrough cases...
Because the time you miss being vaccinated versus unvaccinated are two completely different timelines

Before we all go off the rails, we don't really know at this point if all of the players have been vaccinated or not. and we won't know because of privacy issues.

Just because you are vaccinated does not mean you are going to test negative and not get the virus. Breakthrough cases have risen significantly. You notice you don't see the MSM reporting that 99.9% of hospitalizations are unvaccinated. It's more like 50-80% depending on the hospital.

Just this week, four people in our immediate family (out of six) tested positive and were at various range of symptom severity. My daughter ended up in the emergency room (she is okay now as she got a mAb infusion. All of us are vaccinated and two received the booster in the past two weeks.

The science is evolving (isn't that what the experts tell us?), but, yeah it is. You can get the virus if you've been vaccinated. Your symptoms will probably be less challenging. The most important thing you can do is contact your doctor immediately to triage the situation.

Zach' tweet raised eyebrows, but I'm not going to beat any kids up nor stick my head in the sand at this point. It's virtually impossible to prevent infections unless you go back to a bubble...which may happen.

So stupid to not be vaccinated and be an athlete right now. The possibility of missing weeks instead of a few days is crushing. And we are witnessing it now

Unbelievable
Not so stupid;

I know the podcast of Joe Rogan and just disagree.

The players have created their own headache this season by not being vaccinated

You won’t find these articles on Google who is suppressing them

• Haha
Reactions: STLPirate12
You won’t find these articles on Google who is suppressing them

They're testimonials not studies. Do you have any idea how many professional athletes are vaccinated versus not? The risks of an adverse reaction are what <.001?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT