ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Hurley guaranteed nearly $33M in new deal

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Adrian Wojnarowski, Senior NBA Insider

fter leading Connecticut to a national title, Dan Hurley has agreed to a new six-year contract, the school announced Thursday.

Sources told ESPN that the new deal guarantees Hurley nearly $33 million, putting him among the highest-paid coaches in men's basketball. The new contract runs through the 2028-29 season and includes incentives for athletic and academic success that could push the full value of the deal even higher.

Hurley, who developed a reputation as one of the nation's top program-builders at Wagner, Rhode Island and UConn, resurrected a Huskies program that had fallen into irrelevancy. After reestablishing UConn as a Big East power upon the school's reentry into the conference in 2020, Hurley delivered the program's fifth national championship with a dominant March run that culminated with a title victory over San Diego State in April.

"I am thrilled to have Dan Hurley leading our men's basketball program," athletic director David Benedict said in a statement. "The work he and his staff have done over the past five years in rebuilding our program, which culminated in the Huskies once again reaching the pinnacle of college basketball, has been nothing short of remarkable. I know all of UConn Nation is ecstatic that Dan will continue to lead this program for the foreseeable future."

Despite losing three players expected to be selected in Thursday's NBA draft -- guards Jordan Hawkins and Andre Jackson Jr. and center Adama Sanogo -- the Huskies are expected to be a preseason top-10 team again in 2023-24. UConn has two sophomore 2024 first-round picks in center Donovan Clingan and forward Alex Karaban.

"I want to thank the players and staff who helped make this climb possible. Coaching at the University of Connecticut is an honor and we intend to build on our success as one of the premier programs in college basketball," Hurley said in a statement.

In his five seasons at UConn, Hurley has gone 104-55 (.654) and reached the NCAA tournament in three consecutive seasons. He is 255-160 (.614) in 13 Division I seasons since finishing a nine-year run as a high school coach at St. Benedict's Prep in Newark, New Jersey.

Hurley is part of one of the most famous coaching families in basketball, including his father, Naismith Hall of Famer Bob Hurley Sr., the retired coach at St. Anthony High School in Jersey City, New Jersey, and older brother, Bobby, the coach at Arizona State.

Reactions: CL82 and walshtrips
One foot out the door--it's just a matter of time until SEE YA--
200w.gif

Speaking on UConn. Anyone still convinced Sanogo shouldn’t have capitalized on college NIL money after going undrafted.

I don’t see how it was a good decision.

Has anyone seen a 2-way 2 year contracts for a undrafted player ever gone over $ 3 million?

I’m sure he could have gotten at least 1.5 nil in college if he transfered

IMO sanogo would not be the starting center this year. Clingon is gonna be a beast. Maybe him playing PF would be perfect for a year. But I guess he is gone.

IMO sanogo would not be the starting center this year. Clingon is gonna be a beast. Maybe him playing PF would be perfect for a year. But I guess he is gone.
If he was worried about losing his starting role, big if, then be could have easily transferred to SEC, maybe Florida with no state income taxes, and capitalized even more than staying at UConn.

Makes zero sense to me. More actual money, and with his brand out there more starting in high major college basketball compared to D league, prob better endorsement money too.

NIL opportunities are very limited for international players. He should get at least 500k with his two-way deal with the Bulls.

Reactions: CL82
NIL opportunities are very limited for international players. He should get at least 500k with his two-way deal with the Bulls.
Not accurate. It just takes more movement. Ask Oscar how he made over a mil last year.

Kids sometimes make bad financial decisions but the sad part is that this was probably pushed by someone with UConn interests bc his best move was to transfer.

He had 2 years of eligibility

I also would overpay to keep him, but this is the same coach that lost in the first round in previous years and hasn't won the regular season or conf tournaments (AAC or BE) while at UConn.

Speaking on UConn. Anyone still convinced Sanogo shouldn’t have capitalized on college NIL money after going undrafted.

I don’t see how it was a good decision.

Has anyone seen a 2-way 2 year contracts for a undrafted player ever gone over $ 3 million?

I’m sure he could have gotten at least 1.5 nil in college if he transfered
His deal is a guaranteed half million dollars. Sure, that's not Dan Hurley money, but it is not bad for a first job out of college.

$1.5M in NIL? Lol, are you kidding me?

In any event, NIL is tricky for foreign players because they can't actively work in the US. That includes social media posts for an employer. We did get Sanogo's add to the Bahamas to do a Sunoco and a couple of other ads but that's not everyday thing.

Adama's problem is he was born in the wrong era. 20 years ago he's comfortably first rounder and possibly a lottery pick. I'm not particularly worried about him because he is a very focused man and a hard worker. I think he'll make his way onto a roster full-time eventually. In the meantime he can make life-changing money splitting his time between the NBA in the G league.

The Sanogo/Clingan duo was great for us. Sanogo was a grown man out there and was incredibly hard to contain. Imagine playing him and then when you finally get a break because he goes to the bench a 7'2" monster with good hands replaces him.

I agree with you that Clingon is ready for a starting role, although being a starter is a world of difference from coming in playing high energy and not being particularly concerned about fouls. I'm looking forward to the season for him. He is a I high character charismatic kid.

Nice to be a Conn State Employee
...Who wins national championships. Yeah I suspect it is.

These kinds of salaries are the future. Though I am happy for Dan, I don't love it. Dan Hurley now makes more than Connecticut makes in media distributions from the Big East. Think about that. Everyone who thinks the impact of P5 money is going to be limited to football salaries might want to reconsider that position.

His deal is a guaranteed half million dollars. Sure, that's not Dan Hurley money, but it is not bad for a first job out of college.

$1.5M in NIL? Lol, are you kidding me?

In any event, NIL is tricky for foreign players because they can't actively work in the US. That includes social media posts for an employer. We did get Sanogo's add to the Bahamas to do a Sunoco and a couple of other ads but that's not everyday thing.

Adama's problem is he was born in the wrong era. 20 years ago he's comfortably first rounder and possibly a lottery pick. I'm not particularly worried about him because he is a very focused man and a hard worker. I think he'll make his way onto a roster full-time eventually. In the meantime he can make life-changing money splitting his time between the NBA in the G league.
Yes not bad for first job

No not kidding. Ask Hunter Dickerson how much he is making, then let’s compare notes. Sanogo would have made on par or more for two years.

Yes, international players are tricky. We just lost a Canadian player to Florida I’m sure they are figuring it out 🙄

Yes, he was born in wrong era

No I do not think he will stick on a full time nba roster for more than a year or two.

Bottom line if UConn wasn’t going to pay him, he should have got input from other agents. I bet if he put his name in portal he would have gotten offer above and beyond what he is getting with his 2 way and he wouldn’t be lost to oblivion in gleague, his brand would have been much better if he capitalized in college basketball with the sheer exposure.

I am not the only one who thinks this.

No not kidding. Ask Hunter Dickerson how much he is making, then let’s compare notes. Sanogo would have made on par or more for two years.

Yes, international players are tricky. We just lost a Canadian player to Florida I’m sure they are figuring it out 🙄

No I do not think he will stick on a full time nba roster for more than a year or two.

Bottom line if UConn wasn’t going to pay him, he should have got input from other agents. I bet if he put his name in portal he would have gotten offer above and beyond what he is getting with his 2 way and he wouldn’t be lost to oblivion in gleague, his brand would have been much better if he capitalized in college basketball with the sheer exposure.

7:15min to 10min but the 8:45 mark is the key. RC on Field of 68.

Reactions: walshtrips

I don't disagree, but Adama had no interest in any other college program. Honestly, I can't see him making $1.5M in NIL.

the development in the NBA system is night and day to college. get that as soon as resonably possible

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT