ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Hurley inks contract extension with Rhode Island

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
https://www.fanragsports.com/news/dan-hurley-inks-contract-extension-rhode-island/

JON_ROTHSTEIN_FRS-80x80.jpg

ByJon Rothstein
Posted on May 16, 2017

DIL17022582_VCU_at_Rhode_Island.jpg

MINGO NESMITH/ICON SPORTSWIRE

Dan Hurley has signed a contract extension with the Rhode Island Rams, a source told FanRag Sports on Tuesday. The deal will now run through the 2023-24 college basketball season.

Hurley is coming off his best season as a collegiate coach. After starting his head coaching career with Wagner, and building the Rhode Island program, the Rams made the NCAA Tournament last season for the first time since the 1998-99 campaign.

By the time 2016-17 was all said and done, the Rams finished with an overall record of 25-10.

Rhode Island received other good news earlier in the offseason when E.C. Matthews announced his intentions to return to school for his senior season.

Matthews’ career had been somewhat marred by injuries. In the opening game of the 2015-16 season, he suffered an injury that would sideline him for the rest of the season. He would receive a medical redshirt, however.

As for this past season, Matthews returned from the injury to average 14.9 points and 4.3 rebounds per game. He, along with the help of others, aided in helping Rhode Island reach the NCAA Tournament.

Hurley has an overall coaching record of 125-97. He is entering his sixth season as the head coach of Rhode Island.

Jon Rothstein has been a college basketball insider for CBS Sports since 2010 and is the lead college basketball columnist for the FanRag Sports Network. He is also the host of the College Hoops Today Podcast via Compass Media Networks, which is available via iTunes. Rothstein is also a regular in-studio correspondent for both WFAN and CBS Sports Radio. He currently lives in Manhattan.

He's done a good job there. That team was playing really well by March and could've made a deeper run than they did. They had Oregon beat in that 2nd Round game. Tough loss.

Guy can make a very comfortable living up there. I think he'll eventually get lured away by a major conference program assuming he continues keeping URI in the top 3rd of A-10.

If our job opens up at any time over next couple of years, will be very interesting to see if we would make him #1 target.

He had some bad luck at URI with injuries and such, it's almost like they hired our training staff from 5 years ago. Had it not been for that he would have had many more schools reaching out. I'm still shocked Bobby got hired by a PAC10 school after a year of success at Buffalo. Danny is by far the better coach and recruiter.

Guy can make a very comfortable living up there. I think he'll eventually get lured away by a major conference program assuming he continues keeping URI in the top 3rd of A-10.

If our job opens up at any time over next couple of years, will be very interesting to see if we would make him #1 target.

I think they're performance in the Tourney last year cemented it for him...that is what the tourney can do for you...make you...or break you. Good for him....cash in while you can...we all know how fickle college basketball can be....love you now....not so much tomorrow.

I'm not as connected as others on his relationship with the school and whether any scars remain. It took time, but last year was a nice break through for them. If he can keep them on the same track or better I think he'll be content until the right high major offer comes along. Given his background you'd think he will be at the top of our list when Willard goes. He was taking the SJU job two years ago if Mullin didn't. I'm curious what the buy out is for the contract.

How much $? Anybody know?

Hurley’s base salary of $300,000 remains intact, and his annual compensation by the end of the deal will be nearly $1.1 million. The state is responsible for a small portion of his salary thanks to its 9-percent contribution to URI’s general operating budget. The school is responsible for the remainder.

In addition to his base salary, Hurley will receive:

‒ $640,000 in gate receipts annually from 2017-18 to 2021-22, with any shortfall offset by a five-year, $1 million pledge from the URI Foundation. (Hurley received $590,000 in gate receipts in 2016-17.)

‒ $10,000 for appearances at athletic department functions through 2017.

‒ $60,000 for appearances at athletic department functions through 2018.

‒ $110,000 for appearances at athletic department functions from 2019-24.

‒ $25,000 for his radio show.

‒ $65,000 for an away game guarantee (buy game).

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...-on-contract-extension-through-2023-24-season

interesting deal given that he has a tie to % of ticket revenue. Seems like the starting base salary for most high major jobs is $1M with no strings attached.

interesting deal given that he has a tie to % of ticket revenue. Seems like the starting base salary for most high major jobs is $1M with no strings attached.
It sounds like it is guaranteed and not a %. It says 640k from the gate or from the URI fund. So he's guaranteed his $1.2 million per year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT