ADVERTISEMENT

Danny having none of it.

"We (the Big East) got buried by the Committee last year that was clear once the Tournament started based on those results.

“I don’t know if we have a strong enough voice in that room, I don’t know who’s representing us in that room this year in the Big East. "

This has to Val's #1 focus now that the media deal is done. She needs to be all over this. The conference lost out on millions by only getting 3 teams invited. UConn carried the BE the last 2 years but the conference made $8 Million less from the tourney in 2024 than 2023. We badly need that revenue.

Despite UConn's dominance, the BE was 5th in NCAA revenue, $8-12 Million behind each of the 'P4' conferences. We made only $2M more than the Mountain West and Pac12.

"We (the Big East) got buried by the Committee last year that was clear once the Tournament started based on those results.

“I don’t know if we have a strong enough voice in that room, I don’t know who’s representing us in that room this year in the Big East. "

This has to Val's #1 focus now that the media deal is done. She needs to be all over this. The conference lost out on millions by only getting 3 teams invited. UConn carried the BE the last 2 years but the conference made $8 Million less from the tourney in 2024 than 2023. We badly need that revenue.

Despite UConn's dominance, the BE was 5th in NCAA revenue, $8-12 Million behind each of the 'P4' conferences. We made only $2M more than the Mountain West and Pac12.
Anyone have the Fanta- Pitino clip from the other day. He apparently said some pretty scathing stuff too.

And I would argue new year, new rotations and placements on selection committee and that group will emphasize criteria that is unique onto itself

Somewhat funny that Willard is the torchbearer for that B10
Claim.
A completely preposterous and illogical claim by the most entitled coach I can think of, someone who confuses basking in the shine of a great conference with having done much of anything to contribute to it.

On the other hand, I'm pleased with Quick Rick using his platform to tout the Big East's strength. He exists in a separate ZIP Code from any integrity, but he has a megaphone, so he might as well use it.

A completely preposterous and illogical claim by the most entitled coach I can think of, someone who confuses basking in the shine of a great conference with having done much of anything to contribute to it.
You mean, other than the two national championships, right?

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• Haha
Reactions: dehere23
I think he was referring to Willard’s quote, but maybe I’m wrong
Of course I was. I thought it was obvious.

EDIT: I can see why, based on what was visible in the quoted post (unless you expanded it), that it seemed like I was referencing Danny. But if you read the linked piece, there is only one quote so completely preposterous, and the things about that coach being a hanger-on could have only referred to one coach in the story. And it isn't the ones with the natties.

Reactions: CL82 and SHUHitman
Willard would say the same thing about the BE if he were still here. Why would you expect him to say anything different? Why would you expect any major D1 coach to say different, for that matter? Imagine how Maryland fans and supporters would feel if he said "Well, yeah. Big East is easily the best." Or, closer to home, would you have appreciated him going on record that the ACC or Big Ten was the best while he was head coach here? That's just showing allegiance to your conference and to the people that cut your paycheck, along with common sense for that matter.

If you listed to Val this week on the CBS Inside College Basketball podcast, you would be livid. The Butler AD was the Big East rep in the room who apparently didn’t pound the table enough for us. She said that SHU, STJ and Providence probably all split votes and we needed someone to step up and say ‘hey, the BE really deserves a 4th team and we need to pick one of these’. She basically said that they couldn’t kill the committee publicly because one of their AD’s is on it.

Don’t get me started on her response to UCONN and the Big 12 btw. She couldn’t come off as a weaker leader right now between these two issues…

Of course I was. I thought it was obvious.

EDIT: I can see why, based on what was visible in the quoted post (unless you expanded it), that it seemed like I was referencing Danny. But if you read the linked piece, there is only one quote so completely preposterous, and the things about that coach being a hanger-on could have only referred to one coach in the story. And it isn't the ones with the natties.
Got it. You were right I just looked at the quote and not the article.

Willard would say the same thing about the BE if he were still here. Why would you expect him to say anything different? Why would you expect any major D1 coach to say different, for that matter? Imagine how Maryland fans and supporters would feel if he said "Well, yeah. Big East is easily the best." Or, closer to home, would you have appreciated him going on record that the ACC or Big Ten was the best while he was head coach here? That's just showing allegiance to your conference and to the people that cut your paycheck, along with common sense for that matter.
Because he shouldn’t say it if Izzo ain’t saying it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT