ADVERTISEMENT

DePaul transfer Elijah Fisher

Fisher was considered a big-time prospect from the time he was in 8th grade til his Junior year in HS. He was a Top 40 player in Class of 23 but made the decision to graduate a year early to go to Texas Tech.

His physical attributes are impressive. He has a great combination of length, explosiveness and ball-handling. He's very good at attacking the basket, finishing around the rim and absorbing contact. He shot 57% on 2's (15th in BE) and was 6th in the Big East in FT rate - shot ya solid 72.2% from the line.

He needs to develop a go-to move besides just attacking the basket. He struggles as a jump-shooter, whether as a catch and shoot or pulling up off the dribble.

Hard to get a handle on players on terrible teams, but Fisher was their leading scorer and has a very strong pedigree. IF Sha gets good reports on his character and work ethic, then he'd be a great addition who could flourish if he buys into Sha's program.

Don't remember him from our games?
In the first meeting Fisher scored seven points (2-7 from the floor and 3-4 free throws) and added three rebounds in 38 minutes.

In Newark, he had 10 points (4-7 from the floor and 2-2 free throws), three rebounds and two blocks in 32 minutes.

He had some nice individual games in BE play including 19-point games against Providence and Marquette and 17 against UConn.

Overall Fisher averaged 10.2 ppg and 3.8 rebounds in 31.8 mpg. He was the second leader scorer and top rebounder for DePaul.

He shot 52% from the floor but just 26% on threes (10-38). He's listed as a guard at 6-6 and 190 pounds.

Fisher was considered a big-time prospect from the time he was in 8th grade til his Junior year in HS. He was a Top 40 player in Class of 23 but made the decision to graduate a year early to go to Texas Tech.

His physical attributes are impressive. He has a great combination of length, explosiveness and ball-handling. He's very good at attacking the basket, finishing around the rim and absorbing contact. He shot 57% on 2's (15th in BE) and was 6th in the Big East in FT rate - shot ya solid 72.2% from the line.

He needs to develop a go-to move besides just attacking the basket. He struggles as a jump-shooter, whether as a catch and shoot or pulling up off the dribble.

Hard to get a handle on players on terrible teams, but Fisher was their leading scorer and has a very strong pedigree. IF Sha gets good reports on his character and work ethic, then he'd be a great addition who could flourish if he buys into Sha's program.
Good summary…big guard that attacks and has a high 2pt % and gets to the line. I’m seeing a trend. He only took 38 3’s last year (for good reason), but he brings a lot of other positives.

Big guards, attack, defend and rebound.

Not that it’s a binary decision but would you rather have a Trey Jackson that hits 40% from three but is defensive liability, and turnover machine? Or a complete player that only lacks 3 pt ability?

Last edited:
Sounds like when we picked Dre up. Hopefully he can pick up his 3 pt. Shooting like Dre did over the course of those 2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: garyshu71
I would be apprehensive about getting anyone who played on DePaul last year. Unless we had one of those memory erasers like in that movie Men In Black. It just didn't seem like anyone knew how the game was supposed to be played.

I would be apprehensive about getting anyone who played on DePaul last year. Unless we had one of those memory erasers like in that movie Men In Black. It just didn't seem like anyone knew how the game was supposed to be played.
Not quite as bad, but look at the difference in how Cam Spencer made such a difference at UConn after struggling for a bad Rutgers team.

Reactions: Nbnylon
Not quite as bad, but look at the difference in how Cam Spencer made such a difference at UConn after struggling for a bad Rutgers team.
And let's not fail to notice how good a three point shooter Spencer was.

And let's not fail to notice how good a three point shooter Spencer was.
The point was that a player on a bad team doesn’t mean much when projecting them with another team. Fisher and Spencer are two different players.

Fisher, Aligbe, Manon... One or two of them would have to come off the bench if we have KR, Coleman, Wusu are all coming back.

There is no comparison between the two players. Spencer had a very good year at RU. Shot 43.4% from 3pt, 89.4% from the line, and averaged 13.2 ppg.

On the flip side, Fisher shot 26.3% from 3pt, 72.2% from the line, and averaged 10.2 ppg.

And those are just the basic stats. Spencer also did so many other things well.

Danny would never have interest in Fisher. Danny wanted Spencer. That’s all you need to know. And that’s not to say that Fisher wouldn’t be really good for SHU. It’s just that the two players cannot be compared off of their previous seasons.

Fisher, Aligbe, Manon... One or two of them would have to come off the bench if we have KR, Coleman, Wusu are all coming back.
I think only Kadary and Dylan are guarantees to start among that group.

I haven't seen Manon play but as a grad senior who has posted solid numbers, I could see him getting the nod over Coleman. Aligbe would probably be the clubhouse leader at the 4, again due to his experience over Tubek.

Regardless of who starts, I'd expect all of the above would be rotation pieces if they are here.

I think only Kadary and Dylan are guarantees to start among that group.

I haven't seen Manon play but as a grad senior who has posted solid numbers, I could see him getting the nod over Coleman. Aligbe would probably be the clubhouse leader at the 4, again due to his experience over Tubek.

Regardless of who starts, I'd expect all of the above would be rotation pieces if they are here.

Exactly. So one or two of them off the bench.

There is no comparison between the two players. Spencer had a very good year at RU. Shot 43.4% from 3pt, 89.4% from the line, and averaged 13.2 ppg.

On the flip side, Fisher shot 26.3% from 3pt, 72.2% from the line, and averaged 10.2 ppg.

And those are just the basic stats. Spencer also did so many other things well.

Danny would never have interest in Fisher. Danny wanted Spencer. That’s all you need to know. And that’s not to say that Fisher wouldn’t be really good for SHU. It’s just that the two players cannot be compared off of their previous seasons.
Not comparing the two players stats. For all the good Spencer could do at RU, they were still a bad team and he was not a good fit.

Just because Fisher played on a bad team, doesn’t mean he’s a bad player. The stats are meaningless as they are different players being brought in for different reasons.

Not comparing the two players stats. For all the good Spencer could do at RU, they were still a bad team and he was not a good fit.

Just because Fisher played on a bad team, doesn’t mean he’s a bad player. The stats are meaningless as they are different players being brought in for different reasons.
One team was not good and the other was historically bad but I hear you. If Sha thinks Fisher is a player then so do I. I’ve at least learned that much during these past two years.

One team was not good and the other was historically bad but I hear you. If Sha thinks Fisher is a player then so do I. I’ve at least learned that much during these past two years.
I have great confidence in Sha’s judgment but the one glaring weakness we have right now is three point shooting. Dawes was outstanding from 3. Sanders had the ability to drill a 3 or 2 off the bench. Dre was also very solid from 3. Even EHE shot the three well. I like the new names we are chasing in the portal but none of them have shot the 3 well for their prior teams. That concerns me.

Reactions: chickenbox
I have great confidence in Sha’s judgment but the one glaring weakness we have right now is three point shooting. Dawes was outstanding from 3. Sanders had the ability to drill a 3 or 2 off the bench. Dre was also very solid from 3. Even EHE shot the three well. I like the new names we are chasing in the portal but none of them have shot the 3 well for their prior teams. That concerns me.
EHE shot 28.6% on threes. Or less than DAW's 29%.

EHE is a career 31.1% three-point shooter and his best season average was 32.3%.

Your overall point remains, we will need to find three-point shooting somewhere as it doesn't appear we have anyone capable of hitting that shot consistently.

At this moment, other than Malachi Brown's 66.7% on a whopping three attempts, our leading return three-point shooter is Coleman at 31.1%.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT