ADVERTISEMENT

Devastating news for an ESPN sports icon recently demoted

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Wife of ESPN legend Chris Berman dies in car accident

By Justin Terranova

May 10, 2017 | 8:22am | Updated

The wife of ESPN’s Chris Berman died in a car accident in Connecticut on Tuesday afternoon, police sources told the Hartford Courant.

Katherine Ann Berman, 67, and another driver, Edward Bertulis, died in the two-car crash in Woodbury.

“This is a devastating tragedy and difficult to comprehend,” ESPN President John Skipper said in a statement.

“Chris is beloved by all his ESPN colleagues and for good reason: he has a huge heart and has given so much to so many over the years. We know how much his family means to him and all we can do at a moment like this is give him the love and support he will surely need at this hour. Our thoughts and prayers are with Chris, Meredith, Doug and the entire family.”

Berman was the face of ESPN’s football coverage for more than three decades, but took a step back in his role after last season’s Super Bowl.

Berman was at Citi Field for the Mets-Giants game at the time of his wife’s death and had to be notified by the NYPD.

Don't know what's worst. Losing a child or the love of your life prematurely.

We have a GREAT poster who hasn't been on the board as of late facing a situation where his wife is very ill. I can't imagine the hell this person is going through.

All the love in the world to him.

Don't know what's worst. Losing a child or the love of your life prematurely.

We have a GREAT poster who hasn't been on the board as of late facing a situation where his wife is very ill. I can't imagine the hell this person is going through.

Just awful. My sympathies to that poster and his wife. My best friend's wife just received a stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis. These situations are beyond crushing.

Don't know what's worst. Losing a child or the love of your life prematurely. All the love in the world to him.

Studies ave shown the "grief scale" to be (in order): loss of a child, loss of a spouse, divorce. They all suck in my opinion. Heart gets out to CB.

Tragedies like this are beyond words. It's just awful, my God. In a second you're thrown into Hell on Earth.

My heart goes out to Chris Berman. As well as anyone here or elsewhere going through such hardship.

Reactions: mjs429
Just terrible for Chris Berman, one of the few I actually like.

And for that SHU poster, he knows we are all thinking of him.

I hate to hear this. Heartbreaking to imagine...

Whether it involves a 'celebrity', family member or dear friend, an event like this should remind people that there are things far more important than a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT