ADVERTISEMENT

Do you agree with Jerry C?

He got us to the NCAA Tournament again. I'll take it. Good job. It's OK to take care of business against bad teams. That's part of it. We didn't do that last year and it cost us dearly.

2015-16 was his best year. 2019-20 a very close second. Then I'd go 2018-19 after he lost the 2018 Seniors and immediately got that team to beat Kentucky at MSG (best game I've attended), at Maryland, and dropped Marquette and Villanova before going to the BET title game again.

That 2019-20 team was humming until a tough final week. I think they would've done some damage in the NCAA Tournament though against unfamiliar opponents. They had a lot of great pieces for tournament play style.

I'd put this year ahead of 2016-17, both which required a comeback from a 3-6 start because this year lost our best offensive player at the time and that was a big adjustment.

Seton Hall's turnaround has also been a partial product of the schedule lightening up. It was largely frontloaded this year - February and March to date has consisted of 5 games at home versus 4 on the road and 6 of those 9 games against teams in the bottom half of the league.

For a slightly above average team like Seton Hall, that translates into more wins.

Yep. Also the 3-6 start had a lot of quirky stuff going on. We played our first 5 BE games within 8 days because of BS COVID protocols, including not having a frontcourt for the first 2 games and played the best two teams. We had a no-show at DePaul which still drives me nuts, we had the BS at Marquette, lose our best offensive player. Not excuses, but was a strange start.

I don’t bar criticism of KW. I just think to ignore what he inherited and to measure his accomplishments over 12 years isn’t a good metric.

Willard can be measured against Willard now. He has set a bar and a standard here no doubt. Can he elevate it? Can we get to the next level? That's the competitive fire.

Seton Hall was VERY patient with him too; they gave him 4 seasons to learn on the job before they addressed some things (coaching staff) and let him then again work through that (2014-15). It paid off.

I’d love to see this thread again if we get hot from 3 in the tournament. Shaka was COY of the year when his team was on fire from 3 for a 2.5 week stretch in January. Amazing how he’s not COY now that they stopped shooting mid 40% and higher from 3. Was Shaka great or were his players playing above their heads? If our team makes a run will people credit Willard like they did Shaka?

So I also don’t agree with this take at all. And there are flaws all over this article. (Mind you it’s raining in San Diego today. So I might just be a little grumpy)

Carino:
Willard revamped the Pirates’ offense on the fly this winter after ace guard Bryce Aiken went down with a head injury.

Response:
6 conference games with Bryce
- 76.2 ppg, 22 FTA per game, 11.2 TO

13 games without Aiken
- 69 ppg, 17 FTA per game, 12.5 turnovers

Assists are only up about 1 per game.

Besides the 3 point shooting having improved the team has regressed in essentially all other metrics.
And I can show you countless threads about the fans complaining about the lack of offensive system even with Aiken here.

Carino:
“They’ve won seven of their past nine contests, with the lone losses coming at Villanova and Connecticut by a combined 11 points.”

Response:
In their 7 wins they have beaten teams with a combined conference record of 31-61. Which includes 6 of those wins vs teams ranked 8-11 in the Big East standings, and two wins vs winless Georgetown by a combined 12 points.

Carino quoting Willard
"Kadary knows where Jamir is, understands what a weapon he can be, that he can really space the floor,” Willard said. “So I think that lineup with Jared and Myles is going to be really good.”

Response:
At what point have we EVER seen a lineup that went small and combined this four guard look? He has religiously swapped Jackson with Yetna and Obiagu with Samuel. Go check every box score and they share all 80 minutes between the 4 and 5 spots. So I have no idea what they are trying to illustrate here.

Carino:
“Willard decided he needed either Harris or junior forward Tray Jackson on the floor at all times. They are the team’s best 3-point threats with Aiken sidelined. There's been an emphasis on running them off screens whereas before it was Aiken with the ball, making something happen.”

Response:
We must not be watching the same games. The ISO ball has been so predominant a part of this offense the entire season. It just shifted from Aiken to more focus on Rhoden and Richmond. We have worked Jackson and Harris into the offense more and when they do get open looks their percentages are very effective, but I would not say there is an “emphasis” to run them off screen. How many shots did we get Tray Jackson vs Georgetown off a screen after he was 5/5 from 3 against Xavier. I challenge you to go back and watch the game film to answer that question.

Carino
“In past years, as a season’s wear and tear took its toll, Willard eased off down the stretch. By contrast, he’s pushed this group pretty hard, partly because of the need to install stuff but also because he sensed the guys would respond to “getting after it,” as he likes to say.”

Response
I am confused here. I can go back to several post game shows with Cohen and Popkin where Willard highlighted the challenges with the schedule over and over again preventing his team from having the opportunity to practice. Covid-19 prevented the team from having the ability to practice. Kadary getting the flu prevented him from having the ability to practice for a full week. When did he have the opportunity to push this team harder than he has done in the past based on the narrative he has shared publicly?

Carino:
“How many high-majors could sustain the loss of their best guard and gather it up for a 7-2 run through the teeth of the league schedule?”

Response:
How about Texas Tech who has missed Terrance Shannon and Kevin McCullars for 11 and 7 games respectively and still are poised to earn an overall 2 seed playing in the toughest conference in the country.

Or how about Baylor who has probably lost LJ Cryer for the season (13 games missed to date) who was averaging 13 ppg and shooting nearly 47% from 3. They also had Flagger (3 games) and Akinjo (2 games) miss some time. And they are only 25-5 and ranked 3rd in the country, also playing in the B12.

Has Willard done a nice job?…yes.

Did they still have a January swoon?…YES

Did he exceed preseason conference expectations…NO

Does he have a successful record against the top 5 teams in the conference (1-6)?…NO

This is another glorified puff piece.
And this is the reason why we do our show the way we do it. To be objective, it’s an opportunity to highlight the positives, lament about the negatives, and have some fun with other things.

Jerry consistently gives you the Blue Tinted Glasses slant and tries to make you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Sorry but this is nowhere close to Kevin Willard’s best coaching job at the Hall.
Very very well-done. My hat is off to you.

This in spades, I may even have to start listening to the podcast except I hate podcasts.

Carino is a great writer but I liked him much more when he wasn't such a shill.
Is he a shill? Or just not the douche that Politi is and Zags can be or Prunty was?

Lots of experts on coaching here. Any with coaching experience? Especially on the collegiate level?

Who are we to judge?

Where's Hector to bring some perspective on this?

If we lost to Georgetown on Wednesday (which we very nearly did), there's no way Jerry writes this article.

Reactions: shupat08
So I also don’t agree with this take at all. And there are flaws all over this article. (Mind you it’s raining in San Diego today. So I might just be a little grumpy)

Carino:
Willard revamped the Pirates’ offense on the fly this winter after ace guard Bryce Aiken went down with a head injury.

Response:
6 conference games with Bryce
- 76.2 ppg, 22 FTA per game, 11.2 TO

13 games without Aiken
- 69 ppg, 17 FTA per game, 12.5 turnovers

Assists are only up about 1 per game.

Besides the 3 point shooting having improved the team has regressed in essentially all other metrics.
And I can show you countless threads about the fans complaining about the lack of offensive system even with Aiken here.

Carino:
“They’ve won seven of their past nine contests, with the lone losses coming at Villanova and Connecticut by a combined 11 points.”

Response:
In their 7 wins they have beaten teams with a combined conference record of 31-61. Which includes 6 of those wins vs teams ranked 8-11 in the Big East standings, and two wins vs winless Georgetown by a combined 12 points.

Carino quoting Willard
"Kadary knows where Jamir is, understands what a weapon he can be, that he can really space the floor,” Willard said. “So I think that lineup with Jared and Myles is going to be really good.”

Response:
At what point have we EVER seen a lineup that went small and combined this four guard look? He has religiously swapped Jackson with Yetna and Obiagu with Samuel. Go check every box score and they share all 80 minutes between the 4 and 5 spots. So I have no idea what they are trying to illustrate here.

Carino:
“Willard decided he needed either Harris or junior forward Tray Jackson on the floor at all times. They are the team’s best 3-point threats with Aiken sidelined. There's been an emphasis on running them off screens whereas before it was Aiken with the ball, making something happen.”

Response:
We must not be watching the same games. The ISO ball has been so predominant a part of this offense the entire season. It just shifted from Aiken to more focus on Rhoden and Richmond. We have worked Jackson and Harris into the offense more and when they do get open looks their percentages are very effective, but I would not say there is an “emphasis” to run them off screen. How many shots did we get Tray Jackson vs Georgetown off a screen after he was 5/5 from 3 against Xavier. I challenge you to go back and watch the game film to answer that question.

Carino
“In past years, as a season’s wear and tear took its toll, Willard eased off down the stretch. By contrast, he’s pushed this group pretty hard, partly because of the need to install stuff but also because he sensed the guys would respond to “getting after it,” as he likes to say.”

Response
I am confused here. I can go back to several post game shows with Cohen and Popkin where Willard highlighted the challenges with the schedule over and over again preventing his team from having the opportunity to practice. Covid-19 prevented the team from having the ability to practice. Kadary getting the flu prevented him from having the ability to practice for a full week. When did he have the opportunity to push this team harder than he has done in the past based on the narrative he has shared publicly?

Carino:
“How many high-majors could sustain the loss of their best guard and gather it up for a 7-2 run through the teeth of the league schedule?”

Response:
How about Texas Tech who has missed Terrance Shannon and Kevin McCullars for 11 and 7 games respectively and still are poised to earn an overall 2 seed playing in the toughest conference in the country.

Or how about Baylor who has probably lost LJ Cryer for the season (13 games missed to date) who was averaging 13 ppg and shooting nearly 47% from 3. They also had Flagger (3 games) and Akinjo (2 games) miss some time. And they are only 25-5 and ranked 3rd in the country, also playing in the B12.

Has Willard done a nice job?…yes.

Did they still have a January swoon?…YES

Did he exceed preseason conference expectations…NO

Does he have a successful record against the top 5 teams in the conference (1-6)?…NO

This is another glorified puff piece.
And this is the reason why we do our show the way we do it. To be objective, it’s an opportunity to highlight the positives, lament about the negatives, and have some fun with other things.

Jerry consistently gives you the Blue Tinted Glasses slant and tries to make you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Sorry but this is nowhere close to Kevin Willard’s best coaching job at the Hall.
Kudos to you sir. I've never read a post that is sold to be objective while it might have red tinted glasses on. This is as anti Willard as it gets. All of the guys who love to harp on Willard for any little thing bought this crap. I'm not spending my time this morning addressing every you wrote that would take me an hour, but I'll go with you first point which was points per game. On the surface, straight points per game it went down so not one of Willards better job. If you want to be objective you know the numbers with Bryce are skewed a little because 33% of those games were not your average game. 1 game went to over time which alone added 2.2 points per game to the average with him. The other we had to play at a pace we normally don't play at because we were down 15 early. Did you consider that maybe when Aiken goes down we should go from 76 points per game down to 66, but we've done a good enough job to only lose 7 points per game not 10. The month of February was roughly 71 points per game. Have you noticed the number of defensive shot clock violations we've been getting. Did you consider pace of play? Maybe we're getting fewer possessions since Aiken went out because teams are going deeper in the shot clock vs us. Also if you want to be objective you would consider that despite the hype Richmond wasn't ready to run the point in November or mid January. In the first 3 games without Aiken we averaged 62 points. Now the average is up to 69? Impressive if you ask me. I think 2019 was Willard's best job but this is right up there and if things continue to improve, this may end up being his best.

Seton Hall had a lights out shooting game vs Xavier with Kadary facilitating ball movement out of the post. I have yet to see any resemblance of that in the DePaul, Butler, and Georgetown games. To be told by Jerry that we are now running offense and that there is an emphasis on screens and ball movement is insulting. Jared went 6-17 last game predominantly reverting back to ISO ball again.
Bingo. The thing in Jerry's piece that really irked me was his saying Willard had "revamped" the offense. Clearly a gross exaggeration.

Give Kevin all the plaudits you want for the teams second half of the season’s performance he’s earned them but it is not his best season coaching as I think the 2016 and 2019 seasons were better . I thought this year’s team could be special for two principal reasons , a really good point guard in Aiken and our talent and depth with our big men. Losing Aiken had the greatest impact on the season’s but we still managed to likely get an NCAA bid which is the goal we look for and expect each year from Kevin and earns Kevin a solid grade .

Last edited:
Definitely not his best coaching job but the offense has been different and the passing, spacing and outside shooting is improved in the last 9 games. That's mostly due to the growth of Richmond, the better overall ball movement and the contributions from Harris and Jackson (albeit inconsistent).

Our offense was mostly iso-oriented under Aiken and Rhoden, now it's more of a team-oriented game. It's still not very efficient, has issues finishing inside and is prone to lapses but when you think how far it's come after the 3 ugly games in 5 days on the heels of Aiken's injury, there has been a change.

The biggest change has been Richmond finding teammates and improved 3-pt shooting as a result. Without our best shooter (Aiken), we've hit 37% from 3 as a team in the last 9 games - up from 31% for the year.

LCP dropping the gauntlet on Carinos article. Using evidence to do so. BOOM 💥
Guess Jerry reads the board or someone informed him of my rebuttal. Because yesterday Left Coast Pirates was blocked from following him on Twitter. He even went out of his way to find my personal twitter handle and block it also

and later this tweet came out after the big win…

Talk about being childish!!

Guess Jerry reads the board or someone informed him of my rebuttal. Because yesterday Left Coast Pirates was blocked from following him on Twitter. He even went out of his way to find my personal twitter handle and block it also

If true, quite petty and honestly ridiculous by Jerry Carino. Although not surprising given that he's in the journalism profession - many of them think they're God and don't take kindly to any kind of criticism or questioning of their narratives. Also another example of why social media is the worst - it creates visceral reactions and doesn't encourage communication. Only groupthink.

As you know, I don't always agree with you but I am always happy to debate people. Nobody is always 100% right, myself included.

If true, quite petty and honestly ridiculous by Jerry Carino. Although not surprising given that he's in the journalism profession - many of them think they're God and don't take kindly to any kind of criticism or questioning of their narratives. Also another example of why social media is the worst - it creates visceral reactions and doesn't encourage communication. Only groupthink.

As you know, I don't always agree with you but I am always happy to debate people. Nobody is always 100% right, myself included.
I can’t figure out the graphics upload, otherwise I would send you the screen shot to prove it. I really have no reason to make that part up.

And honestly I don’t expect everyone to agree with me. That would be immature to think I am always right (but I mean don’t we all think we are in our own head), but even more immature to not be open to alternative views.

And my view point was not posted on Twitter itself, it was posted on an open message board discussing the specific subject matter of Seton Hall basketball, on a particular thread, and as the 25th response overall. It’s not like I started the thread with an agenda or called him out in front of all the people who subscribe to following him on twitter.

And you are right about the arrogance part. I mean he is the self appointed “Dean” of the NJ college basketball beat writers and makes a point to remind you whenever possible. Insecure much?

I’d love to see this thread again if we get hot from 3 in the tournament. Shaka was COY of the year when his team was on fire from 3 for a 2.5 week stretch in January. Amazing how he’s not COY now that they stopped shooting mid 40% and higher from 3. Was Shaka great or were his players playing above their heads? If our team makes a run will people credit Willard like they did Shaka?
shaka still has his team earning a bye in the BET. we dont. still think he did a great job.

I can’t figure out the graphics upload, otherwise I would send you the screen shot to prove it. I really have no reason to make that part up.

And honestly I don’t expect everyone to agree with me. That would be immature to think I am always right (but I mean don’t we all think we are in our own head), but even more immature to not be open to alternative views.

And my view point was not posted on Twitter itself, it was posted on an open message board discussing the specific subject matter of Seton Hall basketball, on a particular thread, and as the 25th response overall. It’s not like I started the thread with an agenda or called him out in front of all the people who subscribe to following him on twitter.

And you are right about the arrogance part. I mean he is the self appointed “Dean” of the NJ college basketball beat writers and makes a point to remind you whenever possible. Insecure much?
i mean, were playing georgetown in the first day of the BET... no way this could ever be considered "best coaching job". results just arent there and every team in the NCAA has setbacks. absurd from carino.

shaka still has his team earning a bye in the BET. we dont. still think he did a great job.
As always the opinions are getting swayed too far left and right from the subject matter.

One could say Willard has done a great job or very good job. That is debatable and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

however the article by Jerry said it was his BEST EVER at Seton Hall.

there in lies the issue with the statement. It’s up there but it’s not the best and I think the majority would agree with that.

Yes I do. I don’t think it’s his best job but it is close. This team lost one of it’s best players, played several games short handed and still managed to finish 11-8 in a very tough conference. He was able to rally the team and win it’s last five games. We are still positioned to make the tournament and finished in a tie for fifth in the conference which is where we were projected to be.

Yes I do. I don’t think it’s his best job but it is close. This team lost one of it’s best players, played several games short handed and still managed to finish 11-8 in a very tough conference. He was able to rally the team and win it’s last five games. We are still positioned to make the tournament and finished in a tie for fifth in the conference which is where we were projected to be.
we're a 6 seed

The expectation for our program is to make the tournament and win a game or two each year in it

We did make it. Was it difficult without Aiken of course but does Willard have a team full of veteran college basketball players and solid assistants - Yes

Not his best job just a solid one and challenging

Last edited:
Reactions: shupat08

Wow that is such a baby move

I wonder what the Star Ledger thinks of K. Willard's Coaching this Year? Oh that's right --it doesn't know that Pirates are Jersey's Team. Appreciate Carino

Reactions: silkcitypirate

Jerry is obviously acting like a child. Pretty ridiculous on his part. What a shill. You used facts and he just says "20 wins! Injuries! COVID!" Honestly surprised Carino didn't take another swipe at the fans saying KW and team had to overcome bad fans who don't "motivate" the team properly.

If 20 wins, injuries, and COVID leads to a.coaches best season ever. I guess this is Hurleys best season too? And McDermott?

Those are mutually exclusive statements. Both can (and IMO are) true.

Not Willard's best job but not far from it. Saturday solidified that.

The difference between one team getting a bye and one not basically comes down to a controversial foul call.

I never said he didn’t do a good job, I said people thought he was COY. I look forward to the year Willard starts 7-3, finishes the year 4-5 and you still think he did a good job. Something tells me that won’t be your position. Lol

The difference between one team getting a bye and one not basically comes down to a controversial foul call.
you can "what if" all day. in the end results are results. maybe marquette lost one of their games on a foul. maybe we lose to providence at home. maybe we beat nova if the ref actually calls the 3s violation and we dont get a T.

impossible to play that game

I never said he didn’t do a good job, I said people thought he was COY. I look forward to the year Willard starts 7-3, finishes the year 4-5 and you still think he did a good job. Something tells me that won’t be your position. Lol
if willard did that year 1?

Carino should not have blocked LCP. However, who gives SHU hoops ( and Rutgers and other NJ teams) the in-depth coverage that Carino does? Certainly not the Ledger.

We get some in the N Y Post but St Johns gets the top coverage there, good or bad.

I think Jerry understands better than most what it takes to win at SHU and appreciates how tough it is. I don’t think he’s a shill, far from it.

He certainly has criticized KW and Pike, Pike recently for his scheduling practices. That‘s better than the writers who are always looking to dump on coaches and players. So, I’m glad Jerry gives SHU the amount of coverage that he does even if he sometimes puts on his blue tinted glasses which I think he did in this case.

Last edited:

you can "what if" all day. in the end results are results. maybe marquette lost one of their games on a foul. maybe we lose to providence at home. maybe we beat nova if the ref actually calls the 3s violation and we dont get a T.

impossible to play that game
You're right lots of variables go into it. Nobody knows how it would have played out if the result was reversed.

But the first two sentences still hold true.

I have a massive love-hate relationship with Willard.

But he has done a great job over the last month. And he deserves credit for the way some players have stepped up, particularly Jamir. He was bad in January and has been a different player since and that goes to Willard beginning to utilize him better.

As always the opinions are getting swayed too far left and right from the subject matter.

One could say Willard has done a great job or very good job. That is debatable and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

however the article by Jerry said it was his BEST EVER at Seton Hall.

there in lies the issue with the statement. It’s up there but it’s not the best and I think the majority would agree with
Seton Hall's turnaround has also been a partial product of the schedule lightening up. It was largely frontloaded this year - February and March to date has consisted of 5 games at home versus 4 on the road and 6 of those 9 games against teams in the bottom half of the league.

For a slightly above average team like Seton Hall, that translates into more wins.
and playing several of the tougher games with 7 players.

Last edited:

Jerry is a good guy from all accounts, but what you've pointed out here and in your comments on his original post show that he has a petty side. As much as I hate to say it, he is coming off lately as a shill.

Last edited:

Well said. Isn't the point of this board to have reasonable debates about an interest of ours (Seton Hall basketball). We live in a pro-centric part of the country. This is a small fan base, and an even smaller universe of fans who follow the team through good and bad. For a writer like Carino, we are his target audience, because most of the NJ area could care less about Seton Hall basketball. You'd think he would respect and frankly encourage folks who shed light on a team he covers for a living.

No one wants trolls ruining a message board. I don't frequent message boards for the professional teams I root for because we get that information and debate through multiple outlets, ad nauseum, if you want it. That's the pro-sports footprint around here. This board is attractive to me because it is the only place where I can get real information about the Hall, learn about the Hall, hear the perspective of other good fans and the like.

Of course the forum lends itself to criticism of head coaches and players, ours and other teams. That's fandom. If the debate is a reasonable one, as many many are, I find it interesting and fun. It makes me even forget being called a St. John's fan by others and dealing with that BS. If you are a big Seton Hall fan as virtually everyone who frequents this board is --and why would you waste time on it if you were not -- it is within bounds to critique KW in a reasonable manner while acknowledging that he's forgotten more basketball than any of us will ever known. Hearing that perspective from informed posters who follow the team/program is what makes it interesting to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT