ADVERTISEMENT

Donation Match News

So if it's only 4-5 groups, why are they promoting it for all to see and sign up? Sound like something that should be kept within SH's good ol' boys club instead of promoted to the general working class public.
Anyone who could afford to throw $5k at NIL and wants to play golf is welcome, I'm sure. Since it's not an event, like traditional shotgun start outing, I'm sure they cannot accommodate too many but if the demand was there, they may be inclined to find a way.

I don’t have any concerns with the golf outing. If it was a lower price point could they have gotten more people? Sure, but at the end of the day it probably raises the same amount of money.

My issue is more from a macro view that a large portion of the fanbase is excluded from NIL all together. The school needs to do a better job making average Joe fans feel part of the program. It’s not realistic to expect a handful of people to fund every project/initiative. The working man could generate $500k a year in NIL if done right but beyond a pizza party with photo copies of a team photo there hasn’t been an opportunity for fans to get involved.

I don’t have any concerns with the golf outing. If it was a lower price point could they have gotten more people? Sure, but at the end of the day it probably raises the same amount of money.

My issue is more from a macro view that a large portion of the fanbase is excluded from NIL all together. The school needs to do a better job making average Joe fans feel part of the program. It’s not realistic to expect a handful of people to fund every project/initiative. The working man could generate $500k a year in NIL if done right but beyond a pizza party with photo copies of a team photo there hasn’t been an opportunity for fans to get involved.
The smaller, higher volume events have to be built and supported. Better way to get more involved in golf? Top Golf outing. Kids want payments, they have to be accessible to fans who want it for the "contribution".

Reactions: Section112
The hiring of Mike P, Mike McBride and Mike Frungillo along with the efforts of Mike Walsh FINALLY have us headed in the right direction. Those that are complaining about the past have every right. But I ask that you show some patience as that is now changing and you will see results very soon.

Many points posted in this thread are valid and said complaints are being read every day by those in a position to change them. You may not agree but your voices are being heard. That's an important first step.

There is a lot going on behind the scenes that few here are aware of. But you will be soon.

BTW, in the short time this thread has existed check out the new total above re the Challenge. We are nearing $200,000.00 and that is because of you on this board.

Keep it coming. The results will be worth it.
We’re nearing $200,000 this year. Then next year we have to do it all over again, and the next year and the next year. It’s not sustainable.

The players we get with this money will want more money to stay next year. The players that replace them if they leave will also want money.

This is professional sports and you’re essentially asking 1000s of people to be the unofficial payroll every year despite having no ownership or stake in the entity. It’s not going to work.

We’re nearing $200,000 this year. Then next year we have to do it all over again, and the next year and the next year. It’s not sustainable.

The players we get with this money will want more money to stay next year. The players that replace them if they leave will also want money.

This is professional sports and you’re essentially asking 1000s of people to be the unofficial payroll every year despite having no ownership or stake in the entity. It’s not going to work.
But haven't fans been funding unofficial payroll for decades? What changed to make you think it won't work going forward?

- In 1983 Digger Phelps said the going rate for a top basketball player was $10K a year.
- in 2003 Lendale White said there was a duffle bag with $150K cash sitting in his apartment on move in day.
- In 2023 the Athletic reported that collectives are paying top players $500K+ per year.

It seems to me that fans have been paying players for decades and the numbers only seem to go up with time.

EDIT: By the way I agree with your line of thinking. I'm just pointing out that some fanbases are totally fine with funding payroll and have been for quite some time.

But haven't fans been funding unofficial payroll for decades? What changed to make you think it won't work going forward?

- In 1983 Digger Phelps said the going rate for a top basketball player was $10K a year.
- in 2003 Lendale White said there was a duffle bag with $150K cash sitting in his apartment on move in day.
- In 2023 the Athletic reported that collectives are paying top players $500K+ per year.

It seems to me that fans have been paying players for decades and the numbers only seem to go up with time.

EDIT: By the way I agree with your line of thinking. I'm just pointing out that some fanbases are totally fine with funding payroll and have been for quite some time.
Inflation and now everyone gets paid

This.

The problem isn’t events like the golf outing.

The problem is that the school and these new entities are hitting up the same people. Unless you expand the pie and target new segments the incremental money is not going to move the needle much.

Will we get to see how much of the $350k came from HHOD? More importantly, once we inevitably hit the $350k matching goal, HallBall should publicly admit their wrongdoings and thank HHOD for bailing them out. They won’t,
Hall Hands on Deck completed our only fundraising event on May 9th. Our $30K for $30K challenge resulted in $69K in cash and pledged funds, we achieved this goal nearly three weeks prior to our Memorial Day deadline. We've been communicating with the Athletic Department since February for inclusion as a SHU approved NIL collaborative.

The $350K Match isn't a HHOD event, and we haven't participated in the planning or promotion of the event. We pledged $25K as a backer and offered to contribute funds received in July and August to the match. We offered to promote the $350K challenge, if the Athletic Department publicly supported our efforts. HHOD is still waiting for the green light from the Athletic Department, so our fundraising has been dormant since May 9th. Likewise, we aren't a part of the September 20th outing, but we alerted our members to the event.

We believe that HHOD will have a roll in Mike McBride's plans moving forward, and hope to have clarity in September.

We've received a couple thousand in donations since May 9th, thus we'll be contributing a small amount to the $350K Match. We can't take credit for the success or shortfall of the event. The late push has come from Dan, Mike McBride and Tom Eckels, and they deserve a lot of credit for helping with this event.

HHOD has been working in the background, preparing plans for events that will appeal to fans/alumni of all contribution levels. We expect to hit the ground running when we know the final outcome of Mike's restructuring. We promise to effectively communicate and promote future fundraising activities.

You can make a contribution to the $350K Match through HHOD if you choose:

We appreciate your support and expect to play a larger role in future NIL fundraising.

GO PIRATES!!!

I want to add to this thread news regarding Hall Ball and Eric.......

Eric is taking no money for what he is doing. In fact the only expense that accrues is when he has overhead for an event. He covers that with NIL donations but again does the work gratis. Some might question the lack of communication but know that the effort is there and we should be grateful.

Eric has an expertise running events that no one else at the Hall has and that will continue. He is vital to what is being planned in the future.

Regarding communications and the targeting of the fanbase.....Mike McBride will be in charge of that and moving forward he will outline what Eric, Mike Walsh (Hall Hands on Deck) and Mike Frungillo will be doing.

I am aware of much more at the Hall than I can post right now but in a month or so Mike McBride's plan will be outlined here and elsewhere.

In the meantime I ask that you donate to the Challenge. It's the start of something really needed if we are going to compete in the Big East.

Sha needs you badly. Don't let him down.

Eric is taking no money for what he is doing. In fact the only expense that accrues is when he has overhead for an event. He covers that with NIL donations but again does the work gratis. Some might question the lack of communication but know that the effort is there and we should be grateful.

Eric has an expertise running events that no one else at the Hall has and that will continue. He is vital to what is being planned in the future.

Regarding communications and the targeting of the fanbase.....Mike McBride will be in charge of that and moving forward he will outline what Eric, Mike Walsh (Hall Hands on Deck) and Mike Frungillo will be doing.

I am aware of much more at the Hall than I can post right now but in a month or so Mike McBride's plan will be outlined here and elsewhere.

In the meantime I ask that you donate to the Challenge. It's the start of something really needed if we are going to compete in the Big East.

How does JCalz figure into all of this? Is he still planning on doing anything or has the school dismissed his efforts and he’s moved on? Initially sounded like he had a group put together that really want to blow the roof off things.

Reactions: cubbob and shupat08
How does JCalz figure into all of this? Is he still planning on doing anything or has the school dismissed his efforts and he’s moved on? Initially sounded like he had a group put together that really want to blow the roof off things.
School dismissed the idea. Will always be other things in the works, but this single one is disappointing.

JCalz sounded the alarm and IMO did the school a great service even though we continue to move slowly. He was 100% right and came to the school with real solutions. The school balked for various reasons which I won't go into and some didn't want to admit how badly they totally missed the NIL boat. He really helped open their eyes.

The BORs have dropped the ball in a huge way and the President moving on hasn't helped. Dysfunction at the highest levels across the board at SHU. Thankfully Mike McBride is now getting things going but make no mistake - he has an uphill battle.

Providence is so far ahead of us it's not even funny. They are the school we should be emulating not only for NIL but for everything. Stop making SHU a safety school and start a whole new attitude towards the great education you can get at SHU. It starts at the top and has to permeate all of the schools marketing and fund raising efforts. Improve student life so students want to come back and give back too.

Regarding men's basketball, we have to make a decision at some point - are we gonna play with the big boys and commit or get out. There is simply no room to be in between and we are squarely in between right now IMO.

JCalz sounded the alarm and IMO did the school a great service even though we continue to move slowly. He was 100% right and came to the school with real solutions. The school balked for various reasons which I won't go into and some didn't want to admit how badly they totally missed the NIL boat. He really helped open their eyes.

The BORs have dropped the ball in a huge way and the President moving on hasn't helped. Dysfunction at the highest levels across the board at SHU. Thankfully Mike McBride is now getting things going but make no mistake - he has an uphill battle.

Providence is so far ahead of us it's not even funny. They are the school we should be emulating not only for NIL but for everything. Stop making SHU a safety school and start a whole new attitude towards the great education you can get at SHU. It starts at the top and has to permeate all of the schools marketing and fund raising efforts. Improve student life so students want to come back and give back too.

Regarding men's basketball, we have to make a decision at some point - are we gonna play with the big boys and commit or get out. There is simply no room to be in between and we are squarely in between right now IMO.
This X 1000000

This is a really eye-opening post from a very level-headed, credible poster. Wow.

Dan are you taking money for this, because you are doing more than anyone at SHU. Sha does not need our help, he needs the University’s help and but competent people around him.

The Athletic department was at its best and most productive when we had a non-SHU person in charge. Now with SHU blood back in charge we are seeing the narrow minded mess that has hurt us in the past.

Reactions: thehall07
Dan are you taking money for this, because you are doing more than anyone at SHU. Sha does not need our help, he needs the University’s help and but competent people around him.

The Athletic department was at its best and most productive when we had a non-SHU person in charge. Now with SHU blood back in charge we are seeing the narrow minded mess that has hurt us in the past.
Mike McBride isn't a SHU person.

Reactions: arcdreams
What is your basis for saying that Mike McBride is an SHU person?
He was UA’s rep for Seton Hall. And very involved with Felt and Lyons for years. He was not employed by SHU, but he was very involved with SHU and its the reason he is in his role right now.

So he is proven in his current role? The only thing he has done so far is move an already successful event to an NIL event, which seems desperate to me.

• Haha
Reactions: walshtrips
Aside from the success of a college basketball team I like to follow, I see no reason for me personally to give SHU a dime.

First off, I am still paying off the loans I needed to attend the school, giving even more money on top all of that in this economy.... doesn't seem smart for me. I have also received ZERO from Seton Hall since graduation. No communication (aside from asking for donations) No sense of community. No support or resources or events or anything in my area (RI, not super far away). My degree didn't even do much for me, I was only able to find success after pivoting to a new direction. If SHU doesn't care about me or provide me with any value, why should I be doing anything for them?

During my time at the hall, Grant and Dan Mchale, while both nice guys, unintentionally screwed me out of being the head manager from their lack of effort and care. Maybe not a huge deal to most here but I really wanted to get into basketball and team operations at the time and that would have been a nice feather in my cap as I went to start my career. My advisor, Ann Mayo of all people, who is highly highly touted for what she brings to the business school and the sports management program in particular, did the bare minimum of advisement for me. To the point where she didn't even notice I did not have enough credits to graduate, causing me to not be able to walk at graduation and having to pay extra to take summer courses to finish my degree.

This is just one mans experience/opinion but maybe if the school does a better job making the students feel cared for, valued and supported while they are there, maybe they will be more likely to support as alums.

"StOp bEiNg So sElFiSh aNd iMmAtUrE" - how half this board will respond to this post.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Aside from the success of a college basketball team I like to follow, I see no reason for me personally to give SHU a dime.

First off, I am still paying off the loans I needed to attend the school, giving even more money on top all of that in this economy.... doesn't seem smart for me. I have also received ZERO from Seton Hall since graduation. No communication (aside from asking for donations) No sense of community. No support or resources or events or anything in my area (RI, not super far away). My degree didn't even do much for me, I was only able to find success after pivoting to a new direction. If SHU doesn't care about me or provide me with any value, why should I be doing anything for them?

During my time at the hall, Grant and Dan Mchale, while both nice guys, unintentionally screwed me out of being the head manager from their lack of effort and care. Maybe not a huge deal to most here but I really wanted to get into basketball and team operations at the time and that would have been a nice feather in my cap as I went to start my career. My advisor, Ann Mayo of all people, who is highly highly touted for what she brings to the business school and the sports management program in particular, did the bare minimum of advisement for me. To the point where she didn't even notice I did not have enough credits to graduate, causing me to not be able to walk at graduation and having to pay extra to take summer courses to finish my degree.

This is just one mans experience/opinion but maybe if the school does a better job making the students feel cared for, valued and supported while they are there, maybe they will be more likely to support as alums.
Sounds like a victim's mentality, this kid should do real well in the real world lol.

Reactions: sami

First step in growing up is taking some responsibility for yourself. How idiotic is it that you don’t have the self awareness of how many credits you’ve completed and what you need to graduate. And maybe you picked a shitty major or just didn’t apply yourself to a career that the major you completed would support.

Don’t point fingers for your shortcomings. I’ve made mistakes in my life but I’m accountable for what I could have done differently.

Victim mentality is right. Caveat emptor for the person that hires you. I feel employment lawsuit for a future dispute.

Let me get this straight. You're blaming your advisor for not telling YOU that YOU didn't have enough credits to graduate? You've clearly earned the right to spend the next ten years in your mother's basement.

It’s grant’s fault I wasn’t head manager.
It’s seton halls fault I’m not more involved.
It’s my professor’s fault I don’t know how many credits I need to graduate.
It’s the schools fault I chose a major that is extremely difficult to make a living in.

At some point you need to look in the mirror accept responsibility. I’m not trying to be a jerk. This probably isn’t what you want to hear but something you need to hear.

C'mon everyone. Let's get back on track.

I am back home now and tomorrow I will send a check to Mike Walsh.

Let's support the effort.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
I’m surprised tho that the actual players aren’t getting behind this more and pushing the word. At the end of the day this is potentially $700k that is going into their pockets. If I were them I would be blasting this over social media to their THOUSANDS of followers every day. Again, I hate to beat a dead horse but seems like there is very little coordination

I’m surprised tho that the actual players aren’t getting behind this more and pushing the word. At the end of the day this is potentially $700k that is going into their pockets. If I were them I would be blasting this over social media to their THOUSANDS of followers every day. Again, I hate to beat a dead horse but seems like there is very little coordination
Hall Ball seemingly does none of their own marketing, especially where Seton Hall is concerned. They seem more than happy to let others do their marketing for them.

Apparently, or so it’s been said here, this is what Felt’s buddy Eric does for a living and Seton Hall isn’t the only school they work with. If this is the case I would love to know the other schools and what they are doing for them.

Mike McBride and Seton Hall need to ditch Hall Ball and put HHOD in charge sooner rather than later!

Was JCalz cut loose before or after Mik McBride was hired? Any chance they could cut Felt’s buddy loose and let JCalz take over and have him work with HHOD?

Would love to know the plans his group had that the university poo-pooed. Maybe we need some more voices supporting what he wanted to do.

Was JCalz cut loose before or after Mik McBride was hired? Any chance they could cut Felt’s buddy loose and let JCalz take over and have him work with HHOD?

Would love to know the plans his group had that the university poo-pooed. Maybe we need some more voices supporting what he wanted to do.
Just be patient. In a couple of short weeks Mike McBride will be outlining his plans for Eric Liebler, Mike Frungillo and Mike Walsh as well as other details of interest.

Just be patient. In a couple of short weeks Mike McBride will be outlining his plans for Eric Lieber, Mike Frungillo and Mike Walsh as well as other details of interest.
That doesn’t answer my question and I highly doubt it will be answered in the coming weeks other than it seems like the answer to my question is that they aren’t working with JCalz and are going in a direction more on the level of something Hall Ball might be able to handle instead of doing what is truly needed. I truly want to believe that Mike McBride can get us on the right track but as long as Hall Ball is kept front and center in the efforts (or lack thereof) I just don’t see it happening and I see us just falling further behind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT