ADVERTISEMENT

EHE

shu67

Sophomore
Jun 12, 2021
New Jersey
I would like to see them take this kid and show him how Luther Wright transformed himself from the big soft kid that came to SHU and worked to rebuild his body into muscle and got himself an NBA 1st round (18th pick) selection because of hard work in the gym. There has to be plenty of videos of Luther when he arrived at SHU and his last year here and plenty of material on how he did it.

Hopefully Sha reads this thread!

EHE can possibly be another Luther and a monster in the paint!

We got good production from the center spot this year with Bediako and EHE. EHE proved he could be an adequate back-up and had some good games mixed in there, and after missing nearly a month of time earlier in the season with the concussion. He turned into a ~12 MPG BE player type this year. Can he make a jump from there?

The first year of transition from a program like Austin Peay to the Big East is a huge learning experience. He needs a big offseason with Sha and now has a better understanding of what to expect. I think agility and hand strength are his biggest areas of individual work. Plus needs a lot of reps going up strong with the ball in traffic, as well as not pausing or bringing it down. And the over-hedging on screens was a work in progress with him.

Actually I think you are wrong on several counts: Draft: Utah Jazz, 1st round (18th pick, 18th overall), 1993 NBA Draft. He made a big leap from sophmore year to junior year and went from a nobody to an NBA draft pick.
SOC7-24.8 Pts, 2.8 Reb, 0.3 Ast
JRC7-29.0 Pts, 7.5 Reb, 0.8 As
Luther was considered 1st round NBA pick by many when he was still in high school, so wouldn't say went from nobody to draft pick over his two seasons at SHU.

Also, while improvement was definitely there, he still underachieved in college (obviously his demons may have played a big role) and often disappeared in games. One clear game was the loss to W Kentucky in tourney.

Luther was our first McD AA. I think if you asked Lu he would tell you he isnt a good template to follow. Hope Luther is doing well.

I like EHE. I like his jumper, I like his passing, I like his energy, getting down on the floor after loose balls. I would want to see him work hard like most of the kids do, come back with better post up moves, and an off season of getting in shape should help him all around. If he shocks Pirate fans with his improvement, that will shock me a little less.

Actually I think you are wrong on several counts: Draft: Utah Jazz, 1st round (18th pick, 18th overall), 1993 NBA Draft. He made a big leap from sophomore year to junior year and went from a nobody to an NBA draft pick.
SOC7-24.8 Pts, 2.8 Reb, 0.3 Ast
JRC7-29.0 Pts, 7.5 Reb, 0.8 As
Luther always had the raw talent, he never had the drive or love for basketball. Guy was one of the top players in the country his senior year in high school. EHE does not have the raw talent Luther had… Luther had ELITE taken and ELITE size… EHE doesn’t have that, let’s be realistic with the player

Luther did not have to play very often against guys who were almost as big or as big as him like the centers of today. Just about every team today has a 7 footer or near 7 footer in the post. So Luther had a size advantage most of the time that he would not have today. So stop with the Luther was better. Luther had nice stats as a junior but they were nothing to rave about for someone his size.

EHE as we saw is much better offensively than Luther. I doubt Luther could make a 3 pointer or could even make a jump shot. I saw Luther play and he was not a finesse player at all offensively and was not quick up and down the court.

Luther got to the NBA because they liked his size and potential which he never realized due to mental health issues.

EHE has potential to do more. Good shot for a big man and great court awareness. The downside is slow around the rim and like many big men, he puts the ball on the floor when down low. Gets pushed around easily. Can he get quicker and stronger? There's a lot to like in his game and a lot that needs some improvement/evolution. Will be interesting to watch as we need increased production from him.

Reactions: shu67
I can’t believe this is even being discussed comparing the 2
I can't believe some people object to the comparison and don't see the potential in EHE getting in better shape like Luther did and making himself into an NBA draft pick. Luther is a role model for any SHU center that is a big body and wants to make himself a better player.

EHE has 2 more years of eligibility I believe to work on his conditioning and game. So the possibility to improve and be an impact player is very much in play!

EHE has potential to do more. Good shot for a big man and great court awareness. The downside is slow around the rim and like many big men, he puts the ball on the floor when down low. Gets pushed around easily. Can he get quicker and stronger? There's a lot to like in his game and a lot that needs some improvement/evolution. Will be interesting to watch as we need increased production from him.
I agree with your take. I think he can improve significantly. And as he was this year, he was a very important piece to a pretty good team. He won my trust over time so when Jaden reached down for a rebound after he missed a chippy and picked up his second with 12 minutes in the first half, I didnt freak out. Would love to see him in the high post. Can hit a three and can hit the cutter. Interested to see how he changes over the off season. Some guys really get into the hard workouts and some dont.

EHE only has one more year.

He played better in the NIT but that was against teams that mostly weren‘t very good.

He’s an OK backup.

Reactions: Piratz and shupat08
Compare him to other bigs in the tournament. He's a solid backup at best
Which is fine, he can be very serviceable and play well. He had some games where he stepped up and played great, he had some games where he looked lost and out of place…

Comparing him to Luther is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen in this board. Luther had so much untouched talent, talent EHE wish he could have.. let EHE do what he does.

I can't believe some people object to the comparison and don't see the potential in EHE getting in better shape like Luther did and making himself into an NBA draft pick. Luther is a role model for any SHU center that is a big body and wants to make himself a better player.

EHE has 2 more years of eligibility I believe to work on his conditioning and game. So the possibility to improve and be an impact player is very much in play!
I don’t see any comparison between the two other than height.

Why not bring up Frank Torella? He was tall.

I also don’t think it’s true that centers of today are bigger than from the past. If anything, they drift further from the post.

Reactions: shupat08
So what talent did Luther have that EHE doesn't? I'd like to hear how Luther has more skill. Not at free throw or 3 point shooting. His rebounding and scoring are nothing to brag about either. Just look at Luther's numbers at the Hall. So where is this talent. Please explain?

• Haha
Reactions: shupat08
I don’t see any comparison between the two other than height.

Why not bring up Frank Torella? He was tall.

I also don’t think it’s true that centers of today are bigger than from the past. If anything, they drift further from the post.
Luther did not face a Soriano, Kalkbrenner, Klingan etc. for starters. So lets get real Dobler.

Centers today grow up hoping to become small forwards lol

EHE will be a nice player for us. Gave us some good minutes in big east play. Also had some bad minutes, but missing 2-3 weeks early in the season definitely made an impact on his development

No, he faced a Montross, a Mourning and a Mutombo
Funny how 5 or more of you all loved this post in response to mine except Mutombo was gone before Luther came to the Hall. He crossed paths with Mourning in his Soph year when he did not really play that much, By the next year when Luther was starting Mourning was gone. Luther was gone when Montross arrived.

So this comment about who he faced backed then is marked as FALSE and misinformation! Funny how bogus stuff gets traction on the internet.

Funny how 5 or more of you all loved this post in response to mine except Mutombo was gone before Luther came to the Hall. He crossed paths with Mourning in his Soph year when he did not really play that much, By the next year when Luther was starting Mourning was gone. Luther was gone when Montross arrived.

So this comment about who he faced backed then is marked as FALSE and misinformation! Funny how bogus stuff gets traction on the internet.
You may want to double check some of your facts….

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...on-hall/4f487adb-ee6f-4493-96fe-bc9c3cefc2ab/

I watched the NC SHU game on National Television. Although Luther outplayed Montross, we lost a heart breaker to NC.

Reactions: cernjSHU
I watched the NC SHU game on National Television. Although Luther outplayed Montross, we lost a heart breaker to NC.
I remember that game well. Carolina held The Hall at 5-7 points all game. I really felt SHU didn’t play well that day.

Hall also lost to Indiana that year if I remember correctly. Both Carolina and Indiana were final 4 teams (where The Hall should have been).

The EHE comps to Luther are downright silly. There is no need to make a comparison at all. It isn’t like we are constructing a draft board for experts on ESPN.

Luther was a brute force that overpowered inside players with the lefty skill set he had. That’s not EHE at all.

Reactions: lloyde dobler

Luther played against Montross in the Meadowlands. Held his own.

IMO, EHE played better as the season went on. Gave serviceable minutes and hit some key 3s along the way. That pass to Kadary vs ISU was impressive. And he got on the floor for loose balls often (Sha loved that). He will be a solid rotation player for us next year and maybe even a bit better than that.

PS: please stop with the Luther comparisons.

Reactions: hallstorm
IMO, EHE played better as the season went on. Gave serviceable minutes and hit some key 3s along the way. That pass to Kadary vs ISU was impressive. And he got on the floor for loose balls often (Sha loved that). He will be a solid rotation player for us next year and maybe even a bit better than that.

PS: please stop with the Luther comparisons.
Agree…a rotation guy that has abilities. He needs to defend better and not be as foul prone.

Reactions: Piratz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT