ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN firings

Izo

All American
Nov 1, 2008
Reading about all the sports analysts that are losing their jobs ., don't recognize a lot of these names . Guess ,I don't watch ESPN that much . Cut back alot on watching a few years back . Replays and rehashing the same sports stories over and over . So many more interesting things on cable .

Same here, Izo. Haven't watched it in a long time. Outside of SH ball and the Giants, I have little interest in sports outside of the big events.

There's no doubt that there was a lot of waste. A lot of the unknown names in terms of on-air terminations were SportsCenter hosts at times when nobody was watching. They also went all-in on localized NFL and college football writers, plus an inflated group of college basketball writers. Some of those writers, including some great ones, were given pink slips.

What I think is interesting is the sports ESPN is just abandoning. They have ignored hockey since they stopped bidding on the NHL rights and almost of the remaining hockey writers/reporters were cut yesterday. The MLB Network has made Baseball Tonight meaningless and with the baseball staff fired yesterday, it looks like Baseball Tonight could be on its way out as well.

A lot of excess staff was terminated yesterday, but a lot of talented people lost their jobs, especially on the writing side. Jayson Stark, Brett McMurphy, Dana O'Neil, Jane McManus, and Doug Padilla are all excellent writers and it's a shame ESPN is moving away from strong journalism to focus more on the "E" in the network's name.

I honestly don't think any of the on-air people are irreplaceable. Jay Crawford was probably the biggest surprise among that group. He'll land on his feet somewhere good.

Not for anything, these are people who have families. Anytime there is a firing it affects many others. You may think that they are overpaid, but who made the decision to pay them?

Unfortunately every day there are people all across this country who lose their job. The good news for most of these people at ESPN is most of the people fired, don't have to worry about their family's next meal if they didn't waste their money foolishly. People all across this country lose their job and don't know what they're going to do to survive. Those are the people I feel bad for.

Reactions: HallLine69
And the Chairman of Disney, Robert Iger's total comp for 2016 was $40, 989 ,000. The comp for Igor and the other two senior executives was in total $71 million. It's worthy to note that the biggest revenue producer far and away for Disney is ESPN but it's revenue steam is declining and you could see the handwriting on the wall that staff reductions were in the offering .

Last edited:
Amazing stat from the Federal Reserve: 47% of Americans couldnt cover a $400 unexpected expense if they had to. This included the staff writer from The Atlantic who wrote the story that brought this to light.

Reactions: SHUSource
Amazing stat from the Federal Reserve: 47% of Americans couldnt cover a $400 unexpected expense if they had to. This included the staff writer from The Atlantic who wrote the story that brought this to light.

The original piece in The Atlantic was pretty amazing. Here was a perfectly smart guy who was even a pretty successful writer/journo, whose wife had a similar professional profile (if I remember correctly), who were in this not-unusual position ... incredible.

What I think is interesting is the sports ESPN is just abandoning. They have ignored hockey since they stopped bidding on the NHL rights and almost of the remaining hockey writers/reporters were cut yesterday. The MLB Network has made Baseball Tonight meaningless and with the baseball staff fired yesterday, it looks like Baseball Tonight could be on its way out as well.
Richard Deitsch at Sports Illustrating is reporting this morning that ESPN will begin broadcasting MLB Network's Intentional Talk.

RIP Baseball Tonight.

ESPN went to for in terms of broadcast channels. What do they have 7 or 8 different channels. When they went beyond ESPN & ESPN 2 I thought they were crazy. I get the idea of ESPN news but lets be realistic any real breaking sports news they are going to break into whatever is being broadcast on ESPN r ESPN 2. The other channels don't draw nearly enough viewers. Their seemingly increased political stance and focus on meaningless statistics such as exit velocity have really turned a lot of viewers including myself off. With the increase of directt competitors such as Fox, CBS, and NBC they are slowly losing market share. Also regional sports netwlrks are killing them because I would rather watch SNY, MSG, or YES that are more focused on local sports rather than Diamondbacks highlights. Craig Carton brought up a point about the people who are really hurt in this are the support staff. These people were not making 6 figure sa,aries and they can't survive without work.

Unfortunately every day there are people all across this country who lose their job. The good news for most of these people at ESPN is most of the people fired, don't have to worry about their family's next meal if they didn't waste their money foolishly. People all across this country lose their job and don't know what they're going to do to survive. Those are the people I feel bad for.

I'm sure you are the life of the party when you tell someone who lost their job that people lose their job everyday.

Britt McHenry, Andy Katz latest talent to be dumped by ESPN
By Jonathan Lehman

April 27, 2017 | 12:33pm | Updated

The proverbial bloodbath of ESPN layoffs that gripped the sports world Wednesday continue to trickle out Thursday.

Even more high-profile axes among on-air NFL and basketball talent have yet to be revealed, according to The Big Lead, as the so-called Worldwide Leader confronts its grim fiscal realities in a shifting sports media landscape.

One of the more infamous personas at ESPN, television reporter Britt McHenry, announced she would exit the network after covering the NFL Draft through Saturday.

McHenry was suspended by ESPN in 2015 following a nasty tirade against a parking-lot attendant, footage of which went viral and stunted a once-ascendant career trajectory.

“I’m in the news, sweetheart, I will f—–g sue this place,” McHenry ranted. “Do you feel good about your job? So I could be a college dropout and do the same thing? Why, cause I have a brain and you don’t? Maybe if I was missing some teeth they would hire me, huh? Oh like yours, ’cause they look so stunning … ‘Cause I’m on television and you’re in a f—–g trailer, honey.”

It is possible others attached to the three-day blitz of draft coverage could be on their final assignment.

Andy Katz, a longtime fixture of ESPN’s college basketball coverage, also is among the cuts, he said Wednesday.

ESPN’s studio baseball programming was hit particularly hard by the round of pink slips, as well.

MLB analysts Doug Glanville, Dallas Braden and Raul Ibanez are out — and ESPN announced plans to syndicate MLB Network’s “Intentional Talk,” featuring Chris Rose and Kevin Millar, weekdays from 4 to 5 on ESPN2 was part of “a new collaborative effort.”

I don't understand why the name of the country was changed "foreign workers."

Disney did, in fact, use workers from that country to replace Americans.

In a 60 Minutes report that aired last month they featured workers fired by the University of California San Francisco Medical Center. The American workers were replaced by workers from that country.

In fact, here's what 60 Minutes reported:

"Most of these global staffing firms are based in India, they’ve become multibillion dollar enterprises supplying American companies with H-1B workers, like Rajesh, to replace American workers."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/are-u-s-jobs-vulnerable-to-workers-with-h-1b-visas/

This information has, of course, already been widely reported in many newspapers and journals. All the people, regardless of industry, who are not outraged by these business practices need to understand that anybody could be next.

And the Chairman of Disney, Robert Iger's total comp for 2016 was $40, 989 ,000. The comp for Igor and the other two senior executives was in total $71 million. It's worthy to note that the biggest revenue producer far and away for Disney is ESPN but it's revenue steam is declining and you could see the handwriting on the wall that staff reductions were in the offering .

The absurdly high pay for American CEO's is an absolute obscenity. It makes my blood boil.

The absurdly high pay for American CEO's is an absolute obscenity. It makes my blood boil.

(OT) I've always said when your name is on the building, you get to pay yourself whatever you want. If it is not, you are nothing more than a caretaker manager. I agree most of these executive salaries are beyond comprehension; they have become the princes of society. I howl when something goes wrong and one of the $50MM plus salary CEOs says they had no idea that was happening, like the CEO at Wells Bank recently. You are making the big bucks and have no idea what is going on in the company?? Happy to see the claw back coming soon there.

Blame it on institutional investors. The thinking was it gave ceos incentive to do a better job. Their interests were aligned or so the thinking went and still does. Every now and then they'll claw back a package like that swine at Wells Fargo. But you really need to screw up for that to happen.

I'm sure you are the life of the party when you tell someone who lost their job that people lose their job everyday.

That's not what I said at all. How you twisted into that I will never know.

The real irony is so many sports fans in general call for firings all of the time, but now have some sympathy for the people at ESPN.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT