ADVERTISEMENT

Floor Generals

Tampering is a violation of NCAA rules. The ability to enforce the rule is another matter.

You're the queen of hypothetical scenarios. Talk to me when we poach a 1st team all conference player from a rival and I'll be happy to address that scenario.

Until then, Richmond and Pitino is a match made in heaven of questionable ethics.
If you're about ethics....today's world of high level college sports is not for you.

Was only St. John's offering that amount? If he went to say Arkansas or Oregon, I don't think Seton Hall fans would be as upset. It's not the $$, it's the school he chose.
He's a NYC kid....hes not going to Arkansas....or Oklahoma....or even Oregon.

It is actually somewhat good news that kids are taking more than just money into consideration when making these decisions....because we cant compete purely on economics.

I get the angst for him going to a hated rival....one that we have been better than for quite a while now....

I didnt expect him to go someplace where he would be uncomfortable just to appease us SHU fans....

Do I like it? No.

Do i understand it? Yes

Where else could he have gone Nova, RU, PC, Georgetown, Maryland? You’d have a problem with every one of those.
Only Rutgers. Nova or PC? Yeah, it would hurt, but this is the way it is. Maryland? Couldn't care less; I'd never see him again. For me, it was two schools: Rutgers and St. John's, and that was just too hard to work within for him, so he's done.

He's a NYC kid....hes not going to Arkansas....or Oklahoma....or even Oregon.

It is actually somewhat good news that kids are taking more than just money into consideration when making these decisions....because we cant compete purely on economics.

I get the angst for him going to a hated rival....one that we have been better than for quite a while now....

I didnt expect him to go someplace where he would be uncomfortable just to appease us SHU fans....

Do I like it? No.

Do i understand it? Yes
I agree with this. Does Kadary look like or have the personality of a kid who would fit in at Duke?

Only Rutgers. Nova or PC? Yeah, it would hurt, but this is the way it is. Maryland? Couldn't care less; I'd never see him again. For me, it was two schools: Rutgers and St. John's, and that was just too hard to work within for him, so he's done.
With you 100%. St Johns & Rutgers. Those were the only 2.
Other Big East schools would not be happy, but could live with it. Any other school in the country I would have openly rooted strongly for him.

Per a request from a poster. I posted this in another thread. The Too point guards in the Big East era. And there have been a lot of good point guards.

The best point guards since the Big East started at Seton Hall
1) Sha
2) Barrett
3) Whitehead
4) Richmond
5) Jordan Theodore
6) Oliver Taylor
7) Gerald Greene
8) Bryan Caver
9) Eugene Harvey

for one year players, Donald Copeland had a great senior year. I thought Bryce Aiken could have been amazing but injuries killed him.

Reactions: ShuBall
Per a request from a poster. I posted this in another thread. The Too point guards in the Big East era. And there have been a lot of good point guards.

1) Sha
2) Barrett
3) Whitehead
4) Richmond
5) Jordan Theodore
6) Oliver Taylor
7) Gerald Greene
8) Bryan Caver
9) Eugene Harvey

for one year players, Donald Copeland had a great senior year. I thought Bryce Aiken could have been amazing but injuries killed him.
Taylor, Greene and Caver all had legitimate backups the first 5 didn't have, so they didn't have to play the minutes and didn't get the numbers. 6-8 should be much higher. We also ran much better team offense with those guys. John Morton almost had as many assists as Greene.

Taylor, Greene and Caver all had legitimate backups the first 5 didn't have, so they didn't have to play the minutes and didn't get the numbers. 6-8 should be much higher. We also ran much better team offense with those guys. John Morton almost had as many assists as Greene.
Are you really saying that you would rather have as your point guard Greene, Caver or Ollie Taylor over Sha, Dre, Whitehead, Kadary and Theodore?

I mean as far as success goes that’s Greene and Taylor. But look at those teams? They were loaded with talent.

Shaheen for example would throw balls off the face of players like Jacky Kaba. He would have a ton more assists if he had players around him who could catch a pass. Almost all the players that the top 5 listed played with players that would not break the starting lineup in 1989 or 1991.

1) Sha
2) Barrett
3) Whitehead
4) Richmond
5) Jordan Theodore
6) Oliver Taylor
7) Gerald Greene
8) Bryan Caver
9) Eugene Harvey

That is a pretty good list. I'd put Greene at 5 and drop Taylor to 6 and Theodore to 7. I'd also swap Harvey with Caver. Brian Caver was a terrific player but he shared time with Hurley who also was good - both mercurial players who had their moments here.

Reactions: ShuBall
Sure? I mean I'm not genuflecting at the Pitino altar. But dude is a legit legend and is a great add to the BE. And as SHU's main rival (yes I said it) look at how upset this move has most of our fans.
he WAS a legit legend. bill belichick is a better football coach than rick pitino is a basketball coach, and one day he got old and it stopped working and he could no longer put together a competitive roster

Are you really saying that you would rather have as your point guard Greene, Caver or Ollie Taylor over Sha, Dre, Whitehead, Kadary and Theodore?

I mean as far as success goes that’s Greene and Taylor. But look at those teams? They were loaded with talent.

Shaheen for example would throw balls off the face of players like Jacky Kaba. He would have a ton more assists if he had players around him who could catch a pass. Almost all the players that the top 5 listed played with players that would not break the starting lineup in 1989 or 1991.
To watch basketball where the ball doesn't stick in the PGs hands again. Sure. So sick of iso ball and breaking down the defender off the dribble. Having 1 guy orchestrate the offense so multiple guys are putting up 100 assists a year would be remarkable. That would be awesome as opposed to getting excited about 1 guy controlling the ball and putting up 150.

Thanks Cernj! You are spot on with #1 & #2 and, in fact, I believe that Sha and Barrett are head and shoulders above the rest. #3 and #4 were super-talented, although more in the combo point/scoring guard mold so I will keep them there. Theodore blossomed into a great point guard and is a strong #5.

Here's where there is a little drop-off. First, I don't think Oliver Taylor even belongs on the list (sorry, boo!, I know). And Gerald Greene wasn't even one of the top three players on his team (sorry, boo again!, that's ok). Here is how I rank the rest:

#6 Eugene Harvey
#7 Gerald Greene
#8 Bryan Caver
Hon, Mention - Donald Copeland

Thanks Cernj! You are spot on with #1 & #2 and, in fact, I believe that Sha and Barrett are head and shoulders above the rest. #3 and #4 were super-talented, although more in the combo point/scoring guard mold so I will keep them there. Theodore blossomed into a great point guard and is a strong #5.

Here's where there is a little drop-off. First, I don't think Oliver Taylor even belongs on the list (sorry, boo!, I know). And Gerald Greene wasn't even one of the top three players on his team (sorry, boo again!, that's ok). Here is how I rank the rest:

#6 Eugene Harvey
#7 Gerald Greene
#8 Bryan Caver
Hon, Mention - Donald Copeland
You may have been too young (not sure) to see how good of a player Gerald Greene was. First of all he was a very good defender and very unselfish and tough as nails - enforcer on the floor. He made that team go. So many things that he did on the floor did not show up in the stats. And he was a winner and only cared about winning and his stats meant nothing to him. The best floor general has zero to do with his being the best player on the team. I very much like your addition of Donald Copeland.

Eugene Harvey was good but he never improved his game. Tough kid and another guy who could not hit the outside shot.

Barrett is an under-rated PG when you speak about SHU guards. Lightning quick with a silky smooth release and a great feel for the game.

You may have been too young (not sure) to see how good of a player Gerald Greene was. First of all he was a very good defender and very unselfish and tough as nails - enforcer on the floor. He made that team go. So many things that he did on the floor did not show up in the stats. And he was a winner and only cared about winning and his stats meant nothing to him.

You just summed up why he's my favorite pirate of all time. He wouldn't allow himself or his teammates to give 99%.

I remember how vocal Gerald was on the court. Constantly pulling our team together in huddles demanding more from his teammates.

Reactions: Section112
As I see it

1) Barrett
2) Holloway
3) Whitehead (really not a PG, but since everyone is listing him)
4) Richmond
5) Theodore
6) Greene
7) Taylor
8) Caver
9) Harvey
10) Q

If Gerald Greene wasn’t the tough SOB he was vs Duke there would’ve been no game vs Michigan
Trust me, I'm a huge Gerald Greene fan, as I am of every member of that storied team.
The ironic part about that missed foul shot is that all season long he was the guy who made clutch free throws at the end of games. Never missed til that last time.

As I see it

1) Barrett
2) Holloway
4) Richmond
5) Theodore
6) Greene
7) Taylor
8) Caver
9) Harvey
10) Q
we are pretty much in agreement. Interesting you have Q over guys like Copleland, Sterling Gibbs, and Aiken, and even Hurley. I thought the greatest crime of Willard was never giving Delgado, Carrington and Desi a great point guard after Whitehead left.

McKnight was the heart and soul of that team. It was not Powell as many would have believed. Powell was the star but Knight was our Derrick Gordon that year. Plus his D was off the charts.

As I see it

1) Barrett
2) Holloway
4) Richmond
5) Theodore
6) Greene
7) Taylor
8) Caver
9) Harvey
10) Q

Thanks for the Q love. It's why i had him in my Top 10 Pirates of last 10 years above Kadary. The kid was all heart and hustle, with great skill to boot. His stats don't compare to Kadary, but I'd take him as my PG in a win or go home NCAA game over the enigma Richmond.

Reactions: mbraue
Thanks for the Q love. It's why i had him in my Top 10 Pirates of last 10 years above Kadary. The kid was all heart and hustle, with great skill to boot. His stats don't compare to Kadary, but I'd take him as my PG in a win or go home NCAA game over the enigma Richmond.
No

McKnight was the heart and soul of that team. It was not Powell as many would have believed. Powell was the star but Knight was our Derrick Gordon that year. Plus his D was off the charts.
Perhaps but his entry passes into the post were not good. He constantly missed Gill in the post in the lane. He was often passing to the center when they were not in position and outside of the lane. It would drive me nuts. He was a good defender but I was not impressed as a distributor.

You may have been too young (not sure) to see how good of a player Gerald Greene was. First of all he was a very good defender and very unselfish and tough as nails - enforcer on the floor. He made that team go. So many things that he did on the floor did not show up in the stats. And he was a winner and only cared about winning and his stats meant nothing to him. The best floor general has zero to do with his being the best player on the team. I very much like your addition of Donald Copeland.

Eugene Harvey was good but he never improved his game. Tough kid and another guy who could not hit the outside shot.

Barrett is an under-rated PG when you speak about SHU guards. Lightning quick with a silky smooth release and a great feel for the game.
The catalyst for our Final Four run came during the previous season when P.J. handed the keys to the team to Gerald Greene, moved John Morton from the point to off the ball and took James Major out of the starting lineup.

That move (along with the heavy lifting of Mark Bryant) took a team going nowhere and propelled it to an NCAA bid and probably saved P.J.'s job along the way.

True but the guy hasn't won a NCAA game in 10 years. Can we also pump the brakes on all this Pitino butt licking.
I kinda feel this way. I think Pitino used to be one of the best. Hell, I loved him as the Knicks coach and brought them back to grit and defense.

But I think he’s kinda on the Calipari level now. Once great, but trending down.

The catalyst for our Final Four run came during the previous season when P.J. handed the keys to the team to Gerald Greene, moved John Morton from the point to off the ball and took James Major out of the starting lineup.

That move (along with the heavy lifting of Mark Bryant) took a team going nowhere and propelled it to an NCAA bid and probably saved P.J.'s job along the way.
As painful as it is to say this, the molding of the team was the move to getting Major out of the starting lineup—as much as I loved that guy.

Greene was a bully at point guard and Morton also just used his body so well. Major was a shooter and could get hot, but was a defensive liability from what I remember and didn’t exactly play within with the flow of the game.

I remember Major hitting late 3's and getting us back into games that we were well behind.

James Major was a tremendous shooter -- one of the first beneficiaries of the three-point shot. He shot 39% and 40% from three-point range in the two years that he played under those rules.

He is also an underrated part of Seton Hall lore because he was the first major (no pun intended) NYC recruit during P.J.'s tenure at Seton Hall. Getting him helped make it "ok" for guys like Gerald Greene, John Morton and Daryll Walker to come play for P.J.

It's unfortunate for James that the move to put Greene in the starting lineup came at his expense.

13 and 9 is a no show? If that's a no show I'm glad we have nobody returning because a lot of guys had games worse than that consistently.

Go look at the stats of both teams scary similar.
Taylor 2-3 Bediako 3-4,
Ledlum and Richmond 3-10,
DAW and Jenkins 5-10,
Dingle 6-13 Dawes 9-15.
Soriano 5-7 Davis 3-10. advantage SJU but the rest are pretty even.
Seton Hall 8-22 from 3, St John's 8-23 from 3.
Bench edge SJU. That's not on KR

Difference was they owned the glass on us. and the charity stripe was 14-21 SHU, 19-20 St Johns. And KR was 7-8 from the line so he didn't kill us there.

Edit: If @shupat08 is liking my post, I really need to be spot on. That guy doesn't like my posts ever.
Ok, no show an exaggeration, but how many assists and turnovers? We got our doors blown off and yes their bench killed us.

Knicks taking a page out of Sha's book - leaning heavily on the starters.

A lot of love for Greene here, whom I have to admit I did see through the lens of a younger self. When I think of that team though, I still think of Morton, Gaze and Ramos first. Shame on me? Anyway, I do appreciate hearing from all of the posters who have provided me with some greater depth and understanding of his contributions.

As I see it

1) Barrett
2) Holloway
4) Richmond
5) Theodore
6) Greene
7) Taylor
8) Caver
9) Harvey
10) Q
Wow, Barrett over Holloway, huh? I still think it's Holloway but it's surely a great debate between two excellent PG's. Good catch with Q, Dan. I agree we can add him to the list but Donald Copeland's senior year was real good too! And finally, for me, Oliver Taylor's heroics in the BET cannot make up for what was uninspiring regular season play. I think his BET performance was so extraordinary in part because it came out of nowhere! So he comes up short on the Top 10 Floor Generals List. (No, he does not owe me money).

Ollie played very little in the Arizona game in favor of Caver but came off the bench to hit two huge FTs late. Then he played very little vs UNLV. Not top 10 despite the BET heroics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT