ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State would consider leaving ACC due to revenue distribution

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Andrea Adelson, ESPN Senior Writer

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State president Richard McCullough told his Board of Trustees during a meeting Wednesday that the university would have to "very seriously" consider leaving the ACC unless there is a radical change to the conference's revenue distribution model.

McCullough addressed the board to give an update on where Florida State stands after a year spent exploring options about what the future holds in the wake of conference realignment and big money television contracts in the Big Ten and SEC that are in line to put ACC schools $30 million behind per year from a television revenue distribution standpoint.

The ACC recently changed its revenue distribution model to reward success on the field in football and basketball. But Florida State has also pushed changing the model to reward programs that generate higher television revenues and marketability -- areas where Florida State believes it has an advantage.

"Our goal would be to continue to stay in the ACC, but staying in the ACC under the current situation is hard for us to figure out how we remain competitive unless there were a major change in the revenue distribution within the conference," McCullough said. "That has not happened. Those discussions are ongoing at all times.

"FSU helps to drive value and will drive value for any partner, but we have spent a year trying to understand how we might fix the issue. There are no easy fixes to this challenge, but a group of us have spent literally a year. We've explored every possible option that you can imagine. The issue at hand is what can we do to allow ourselves to be competitive in football and get what I think is the revenue we deserve.

"This continues to be a very difficult issue. There's a lot going on in the world of conference realignment. My current assessment of the situation after very deep analysis is I believe FSU will have to at some point consider very seriously leaving the ACC unless there were a radical change to the revenue distribution."

McCullough echoed those thoughts in a separate interview with ESPN.com before the meeting began. In that interview, he told ESPN.com "I'm not that optimistic that we'll be able to stay."

"At some point, we're going to have to do something," McCullough said. "I'm not that optimistic that we'll be able to stay. I just don't know that. It could occur, but something radically different is going to have to happen. All options remain on the table."

The ACC has a television contract with ESPN that runs through 2036. To get out of the league, Florida State would have to pay a $120 million exit fee and also challenge the existing grant of rights, which grants the ACC media rights for its member schools.

In an interview with ESPN.com earlier Wednesday, Florida State athletic director Michael Alford said, "We have a great understanding of what opportunities there are in that document. How that document could hold us back, but also what the opportunities are. So this is going to be a discussion. We'll keep getting legal advice. Our legal team has a good understanding of that document."

When asked for a timeline about when Florida State might take action, McCullough told ESPN.com falling $30 million behind annually is "not a sustainable position for us. The timing for us to do something radical is not known, but it's not 2036."

And it will be all for naught, BC and ‘Cuse, when Florida State, Clemson, UNC and Miami start digging into your revenue stream.

Reactions: HALL85
Aint that America.
For you and me…Well those are just lyrics it turns out.

What a debacle this could become for BC, Pittsburgh…as there becomes 3 tiers in college football…1A, 1A minor leagues, and 1AA.

Question is, does a (media) market get created for those minor leagues? If not…They become irrelevant…at least in the view of national college football

Always seemed misplaced there. Certainly they have left much $$$ on the table.

Maybe the conferences all die off.
die off? um, maybe the big sports, i.e., football certainly, just becomes a minor league of the NFL, and does away with the farce of having a "college name" on the jerseys; I mean, who is kidding who...they may as well say "Joe's Tire and Auto" on the uniforms...they are longer college students. And the whole "I want my alma mater to win the championship"....well I have news for you....those players in (fill in the blank with Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, etc.,) football jerseys? They arent students at your alma mater. They are hired mercenaries parading around in whatever uniform pays the dough. It really isnt about school pride anymore...basketball is fast approaching the same thing, as players transfer in, out, left, right....there is no true identity with a "school" anymore

Thank you. I don't understand what that is but at least the acronym has been demystified.
If you leave the conference, all of your media rights remain with the conference you left, meaning any media revenues from your new conference go to the old conference.

You'd know this if you were more politically astute, :)!!!!

Reactions: HallLine69
die off? um, maybe the big sports, i.e., football certainly, just becomes a minor league of the NFL, and does away with the farce of having a "college name" on the jerseys; I mean, who is kidding who...they may as well say "Joe's Tire and Auto" on the uniforms...they are longer college students. And the whole "I want my alma mater to win the championship"....well I have news for you....those players in (fill in the blank with Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, etc.,) football jerseys? They arent students at your alma mater. They are hired mercenaries parading around in whatever uniform pays the dough. It really isnt about school pride anymore...basketball is fast approaching the same thing, as players transfer in, out, left, right....there is no true identity with a "school" anymore
I suspect that business model doesn't work though. We already know the athletes are mercenaries and that is the price as fans we pay to watch our teams.

The real appeal in NCAA football is that your alma mater's name is attached to the team. Rights holders pay big money because schools like Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Ohio State, among others, bring eyeballs with them. If they become "minor league" teams, they're simply men wearing laundry.

People are less likely to have a rooting interest in a Birmingham-Columbus USFL game on a Saturday afternoon.

Given your druthers are you watching a Seton Hall basketball game, or even North Carolina-UCLA, or are you watching the Westchester Knicks play the Delaware Blue Coats in G League action?

Florida State has to realize that they are not in the Bobby Bowden era anymore. 36 wins in the last 7 years. Two bowl appearances - Sun and Cheez-It. Maybe Novell is the right coach. Even the last few years of Jimbo Fisher weren't great. The years of appt. TV against the U are two decades years old. Not sure what they bring in eyeballs to the SEC.

Reactions: TomD82
Thank you. I don't understand what that is but at least the acronym has been demystified.
As it applies to athletic conference a grant of rights is a granting by the school of the rights to broadcast their home games to the conference which intern uses those grants of rights to be able to guarantee their membership to their media partner, like ESPN.

Its real strength is that nobody knows for certain what the value of the grant is or how it would be treated in court. That uncertainty makes it hard to quantify whether it's worth the risk of a school challenging iIt's real strength is that nobody knows for certain what the value of the grant is or how it would be treated in court. That uncertainty makes it hard to quantify whether it's worth the risk of a school challenging it. It's a lot more complicated than that but that's kind of it in a nutshell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT