ADVERTISEMENT

Four-star Harvard transfer Chris Ledlum commits to St. John’s as Rick Pitino

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By Zach Braziller

Once Chris Ledlum re-entered the transfer portal last Thursday, his phone predictably blew up.

The phone calls and text messages wouldn’t stop.

It was expected, a gifted player of his caliber all of a sudden on the open market in mid-July.

Schools from every power conference in the country were interested in the 6-foot-6 graduate transfer after he parted ways with Tennessee.

One particular program, however, intrigued the former Harvard star.

“I didn’t know what the situation was at St. John’s, but I mean, obviously, it was definitely something that I had thought about a little bit being recruited by them first time around,” Ledlum told The Post in an exclusive interview on Wednesday shortly after committing to spend his final year of college basketball playing for coach Rick Pitino and the Red Storm.

The Brooklyn native nearly picked St. John’s initially.

It was one of three schools he visited, along with Tennessee and Indiana.

So when the Big East program in his backyard expressed interest in him again, it was like picking up where they had left off.

Pitino didn’t hold Ledlum’s initial decision against him.

He was excited about getting another shot at the skilled forward.

They spoke over the weekend and again early this week.

St. John’s had a major need at power forward and coming home to play for a legendary coach still appealed to the 22-year-old Ledlum – a first-team All-Ivy League selection last season who immediately raises the Johnnies’ ceiling.

“To be honest, coach and I have a pretty good relationship. There was an understanding, at the end of the day, [that] I’m ending up where I’m supposed to be,” said Ledlum, who also considered Gonzaga, Xavier, West Virginia and Miami. “That’s pretty much all that matters.”

He later added: “Coach Pitino is probably the best coach in the country, and there’s no place like home. I feel like we can do something really great here at home.”

Ledlum was adamant that his feelings didn’t shift regarding St. John’s.

He liked the idea of going there back in April, too.

The beefed-up roster – St. John’s added several key pieces after Ledlum initially passed on the Johnnies – didn’t necessarily make the school more attractive to him.

He knew back then Pitino would bring in quality players.

“At the end of the day, things happen for a reason and coach Pitino is who he is, and I believe that with him, I can achieve my goals of making it to the next level,” said Ledlum, who underwent a minor right knee operation on July 9, but is expected to be ready for workouts by mid-August. “That was a big piece to it. I wouldn’t consider a place if I didn’t think they could get me to where I wanted to go.”

Ledlum feels like the cherry on top of the proverbial sundae, the final piece to a massive 13-man recruiting class.

A four-star recruit coming out of high school, he averaged 18.5 points, 8.5 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.1 blocks this past season for the Crimson.

He shot a career-best 47.3 percent from the field last year.

An Ivy League coach familiar with Ledlum raved about the commitment, calling him a “home run” addition for the Johnnies.

“He’s too big and strong to put a small guy on, too fast to put a big guy on,” the coach said. “He rebounds everything, he’s aggressive, he’s tough. … He finished second in scoring and first in rebounding in the Ivy League, and every team’s game plan was to stop Chris Ledlum.”

At St. John’s, he joins fellow Ivy League star Jordan Dingle, a graduate transfer from Penn who was second in the nation in scoring last year, high-major transfers Nahiem Alleyne (Connecticut) and Glenn Taylor Jr. (Oregon State), top-35 high school recruit Simeon Wilcher and standout holdover Joel Soriano, among other significant newcomers.

The transfer class is ranked sixth by 247Sports.com, and that doesn’t even include Ledlum.

Experts believe the collection of talent that Pitino assembled is not only an NCAA Tournament-caliber group, but could make history before the Johnnies even tip off this exciting new era.

St. John’s will likely be nationally ranked in the preseason for the first time since 1999.

“St. John’s is a consensus top-25 team and a team that should be in position to finish in one of the top spots in the Big East standings,” CBS Sports analyst Jon Rothstein said. “Rick Pitino has proven that he doesn’t always need the best players to win at a high level, but you’re looking at a team right now that has its starting center back who averaged 15 and 12. You’re also adding two of the best players in the Ivy League, one of which [in Dingle] was the nation’s second-leading scorer last year, and several transfers who played major roles at other programs. Plus a guard in Simeon Wilcher who was committed to North Carolina.

“It’s an NCAA Tournament [team] and St. John’s fans should feel there is a legitimate chance to go to the NCAA Tournament and win a game for the first time since 2000.”

There are bound to be adjustments for Ledlum in the Big East.

He’s on a new team with a new coach in a new league.

Teams won’t game plan specifically for him.

He may not be St. John’s No. 1 option.

He will most likely be one of them, alongside Dingle and Soriano.

Ledlum is eager to show what he can do in what may be the best conference in the country, and to do so where he grew up.

“I just feel like I’m blessed to be in this position to be a part of getting St. John’s back to what it once was,” he said. “Obviously, this year is going to be very important. We’re in New York City, so a lot of eyes are going to be on us. This year is going to be the year that St. John’s gets thought of as how it used to be.”

NIL and collectives can just collect an unlimited amount of players because NLI and total athletic schollies are irrelevant at this stage
You still need to manage the roster though, PT, expectations and the like. But that falls on the coach.

Using walk-on slots for scholarship players isn’t a new thing. It’s been used before plenty of times in high major basketball or football.

Strip the previous roster you inherited by preaching those players showed no loyalty to St John's and then take a kid from Iona a month later with you and recruit over him imm.

Guess loyalty only travels one way with Pitino.

Strip the previous roster you inherited by preaching those players showed no loyalty to St John's and then take a kid from Iona a month later with you and recruit over him imm.

Just WIBABY !

RU has a sugar daddy with Tower and SJ has one with the water guy. And recruiting has picked up significantly (even accounting for the Pitino factor).

Why Pitino is successful. Winning is what matters. And personally I don’t see any issue with the over scholarship aspect either. The NIL created this monster. Who needs the ‘ship with these amounts? Lol.
The ship is a throw in for anyone who wants to go to class. Ha! Imagine a player getting half a million becoming academically ineligible??

Ledlum is a beast. There is a reason why Indiana and Gonzaga reached out to him last week and why 75+ teams contacted him when he enter portal in March.

He is a very skilled 22-year old man with a degree from Harvard

win at any cost. pitino gets it. cant believe people wouldnt want him as our coach in the past. loser mentality. good for sju.

It's most always been that way at high major sports. Heck it was that way when I played D-I mid-major baseball. Some of our fanbase scoffs when other teams do it, but 99% of our fan base would be more than happy to have taken Quinerly even knowing that would have impacted other kids we recruited at the guard spots. Sha was trying to get Wilcher when he left UNC -- same thing.

Reactions: Piratz
win at any cost. pitino gets it. cant believe people wouldnt want him as our coach in the past. loser mentality. good for sju.
Wrong. You don’t win at any cost. You do it legally and within all the applicable rules. Peetino gets it because he is a poor excuse for a human being and will attempt to win at all costs, despite the fact he can coach the game.

Reactions: catholicman
Great point. When Amaker was here, that's how we recruited. Our older members seem to have short memories.

Wrong. You don’t win at any cost. You do it legally and within all the applicable rules. Peetino gets it because he is a poor excuse for a human being and will attempt to win at all costs, despite the fact he can coach the game.

What is he doing right now that is illegal? Not within the rules?

Reactions: Bobbie Solo

Rick Pitino’s remarkable St. John’s overhaul just the start of what’s to come​

By Mike Vaccaro

The Mets scored five runs in the first inning Tuesday night against the White Sox, after scoring just 26 runs in their first 93 first innings this season.

You may believe that was just a statistical anomaly, especially on a night when 12 major league teams, including the Chisox, scored double-digit runs, the first time that’s happened since 1894.

Or you may believe in something else.

Like men who own golden touches.

“Had to get the Mets on the winning track,” came a tweet not long after that inning was done. “Brought the Johnnies out in Full Force — the Storm hit to start the game — 5-0 after the first inning! LGM!”

Under the text was a picture of the new-look St. John’s men’s basketball team, all gathered in a suite behind home plate at Citi Field.

The text was authored, of course, by St. John’s head coach Rick Pitino.

Apparently, all he needs to do is merely show up and lay hands on a struggling team.

Maybe Billy Eppler should take notes.

Or simply beware.

(We will ignore the fact that Pitino is a lifelong Yankees fan. He works in Queens now, after all. The man can read a room.)

Consider this all emblematic.

In his day job, Pitino has in three short months overhauled the St. John’s roster, importing 13 new players to build around one incumbent star, Joel Soriano.

Player No. 13 signed up Wednesday afternoon in the person of Chris Ledlum, a 6-foot-6 native of Brooklyn who starred at Harvard last year and was a prized graduate transfer target who initially picked Tennessee over St. John’s and Indiana.

But Ledlum changed his mind last week.

And on Wednesday he officially changed his colors from orange to red, and filled a need for the Red Storm at power forward, lengthening the roster and adding one more building block toward what will almost certainly be St. John’s first preseason Top 25 slot since 1999.

“He’s too big and strong to put a small guy on, too fast to put a big guy on,” an Ivy League coach told The Post’s Zach Braziller. “He rebounds everything, he’s aggressive, he’s tough.

“He finished second in scoring and first in rebounding in the Ivy League, and every team’s game plan was to stop Chris Ledlum.”

The Big East had already been put on notice by Pitino’s methodical disassembling and reassembling of the roster. This was an extra warning flare.

“Here’s what’s scary,” one coach who has known Pitino for close to 40 years told me yesterday. “You look at what he’s already done, OK? And he hasn’t even had a chance to coach these guys yet. And that’s what he does better than anyone.”

It is remarkable that Pitino, who will turn 71 in September, has so quickly adapted to the new normal of college basketball, which is this: Teams are built year-to-year now, sometimes month-to-month.

Plenty of coaches of Pitino’s generation spend a lot of time griping about the way things are and pining for how they once were.

Pitino just went to work and built himself a brand-new team, in about 15 minutes.

Yes, they have yet to play a game and are still 2 ½ months away from even practicing together.

There are lots of moving parts that will need to be coached up.

But as the man said: “That’s what he does better than anyone.”

Hell, if he can fix the Mets’ offense just by buying a ticket …

Pitino-Repole-Bonomo and many other Wall Street power brokers are killing it on the NIL front.

Plus St. John’s was proactive on the NIL front from the jump. AD Mike Cragg got them quickly aligned with Kevin Durant’s NIL focused company that many of the NCAA football superpowers are clients. Lucky for them they did not waste it on Anderson. The return of Matt Abdelmassih to the new GM position (watch him flip Ian Jackson from UNC to SJU) and the pending hire of Jay David by Pitino is only going to push it to another level.

That along with the appeal of playing for one of the greatest College basketball coaches of all time (grumpy old men might not like Pitino but 17 year old kids with NBA aspirations sure do) has super charged the program. Simeon Wilcher and Brady Dunlap were the first of many 5/4 star guys Pitino is going to land. Next is rising metro area talent Jaiden Glover. Mid-August announcement to SJU is coming.

This is not the Norm Roberts’ Johnnies anymore. Father Shanley (SJU President and passionate basketball fan) rebuilt a lifeless Providence program struggling under Keno Davis and will do it on a grander level at SJU

Ask any SJU supporter if they care about Pitino’s personal life when they are playing Michigan at a packed MSG in November (rumor has it Fox is contemplating moving that game to Prime time national audience on Saturday night)? The answer is they don’t.

Pitino brings instant national exposure and when backed with his wealthy Wall Street and Horse racing buddies, he is going to win big and in short order.

The NCAA has created the Wild Wild West and the teams that are going to win are the ones that bring the biggest weapons to the shoot out.

The reaction by many of the other Big East fan bases to what Pitino is doing can be described by the Rex Ryan quote about Aaron Rodgers to Jets: “Ain’t no fun…when the rabbit now has the gun!”

Reactions: chickenbox
Watson was never here. You do not know the background of the situation and that was in the best interest of everyone.
No doubt. But none of us know the inner workings of what is happening with other programs either.

Hmm... It's almost as if Pitino lacks integrity. If only there had been some way to tell before this happened.

Quinn Slazinsky’s Instagram has a heartfelt thank you to Rick Pitino today that says: “Thank you for never lying to me, and always wanting the best for me❤️”.
Rick isn’t running the kid off and all his former players as well as his coaching tree love him. Say what you will.

Reactions: piratesbball08
Quinn Slazinsky’s Instagram has a heartfelt thank you to Rick Pitino today that says: “Thank you for never lying to me, and always wanting the best for me❤️”.
Rick isn’t running the kid off and all his former players as well as his coaching tree love him. Say what you will.
Funniest post of the day. I’m sure a kid who transfers to be with his former coach and then the coach dumps him loves him. Or is the kid being politically correct so another team will accept him at this late date. Peetino is a piece of dog poop.

Pitino gave him a lifeline when Louisville wanted to move on from him after they got rid of Mack…he loves Pitino but I guess that narrative won’t play here.

Last edited:
3 life guarantees…death, taxes and the St. John’s off-season hype machine that flames out in mid-January.
Last preseason top 25 ranking was either 98-99 or 99-00 may have been the latter as it was jarvis 2nd year after the elite 8 run

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT