ADVERTISEMENT

Game at Connecticut

Piratz

All Universe
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2004
Nationally televised CBS game at Noon on Sunday against the defending National Champion and #3 team in America (#4 NET). Ian Eagle and Bill Raftery. Big time. Ticket-punch opportunity.

Since Holloway took over, we tend to play Connecticut much better than we do some of these other BE teams. Even the loss at Gampel last year when Richmond got injured early on was more competitive than what we’ve seen on the road in the BE this year with the 4 losses by 20+ points each.

Just playing with assertiveness and showing we can compete with them will be important at this time of year and with the audience. Can we do that? For some reason we have lulled into this bad habit of no-showing road games.

**Lose by 21 at Creighton
**Win at St. John’s after going down 19
**Lose by 24 at Villanova

Not good.

SHU typically doesnt do well at Gampel or at Nova they maybe have 2 or 3 wins combined since mid 90s

I see a 30+ point shellacking on the horizon---
captain-sparrow-smiles.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Piratz
We are too timid on the road. Don’t play with any anger. Free lance on offense and completely confused on defense. Dre usually competes although even he was off at Creighton. Three games left. Sha must have his team elevate their intensity and focus. If we lose by 8 at UConn it’s because they are better. If we lose by 25 it’s because of Seton Hall.

We are too timid on the road. Don’t play with any anger. Free lance on offense and completely confused on defense. Dre usually competes although even he was off at Creighton. Three games left. Sha must have his team elevate their intensity and focus. If we lose by 8 at UConn it’s because they are better. If we lose by 25 it’s because of Seton Hall.
I think you’re right. There’s a different look altogether. Maybe Sha needs to switch something up with the schedule or prep.

But if you can’t get motivated to go into UCONN with so much on the line idk. I also would’ve been geared up last night given the 3OT loss. They just allowed Creighton to abuse them.

Reactions: Burnsly
Great opportunity.... especially being on CBS - who is one of the few network's brackets that doesn't have us in the dance. Hope we bring our onions.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
CU in their big win vs Uconn did the same thing we did. I am not sure if it was either of our plans. But we shut down Karaban and Spencer. Dre had his way with Karaban too on O and KR looked like SPK was guarding him when he took it to Spencer. We were winning when Clingan got hurt, and he did have three fouls erly second half - he has often been in foul trouble this year . But he also had 14 pts and was their main weapon. Also, Castle has really come on since that game.

Hope its a game at halftime!!

Reactions: CL82
Sunday is house money, we beat em before we can beat em again, same dimensions of the floor, if we lose it wasnt a shock, we gotta go 2-0 next week in OUR home.....

Usually with Sha we don't have two clunkers in a row. Whether we win or not, he's gonna be all over them and they know the stakes. UConn is clearly more talented than we are and they have the film of teams kicking our butt and will go right at our weaknesses. With that said, we seem to matchup with them a little better than Creighton and seem to like the more physical style. I say we compete and fade at the end but keep it much closer than the Creighton game. Sha will have them ready to play if they are healthy IMO.

Hopefully the Coleman illness wasn’t that highly contagious novo virus that has been going around. By the way they looked in Omaha , I thought their energy levels was low.

We could use a little good luck like we got earlier in the BE season.

Pete Rose always said the boos of opposing fans at road games motivated him. The best welcome it.

Reactions: CL82
Sunday is house money, we beat em before we can beat em again, same dimensions of the floor, if we lose it wasnt a shock, we gotta go 2-0 next week in OUR home.....
Have to avoid getting hammered, though.

You can bet your ass that Hurley has them practicing the pick & roll ad nauseam based on the Creighton tape & how badly we defended it.

The best way to stay with Uconn is to get Clingan into foul trouble. Unfortunately we have no inside post game so that's not going to happen.

You can bet your ass that Hurley has them practicing the pick & roll ad nauseam based on the Creighton tape & how badly we defended it.

The best way to stay with Uconn is to get Clingan into foul trouble. Unfortunately we have no inside post game so that's not going to happen.
And watching how we beat them the first time. They seemed so geared towards Dawes (many focus on him). We carved them up, 26/48 from 2PT and only 3/8 from 3. It started even before Clingan got hurt.

Playing teams a second time is tough (lots of film out there on us) and we haven't made any significant changes in our approach. Would have been great if we had someone off the bench developing into a threat or something different. We are the same and easy to defend. Gotta find a way to bring the effort and play smarter down the stretch.

Didn’t you say that last time?
Nope. Since we rejoined the big east, Seton Hall has been a pain in our… butts, Kadary Richmond in particular. I am respectfully wary of you guys, especially playing in Newark. It's been a different tale in Connecticut, so hopefully we can get a little retribution.

But here's the thing, you guys are built to beat us. That's fine, because we need to figure that out before the postseason. This is another opportunity to do that. Castle is a better player, and I expect to see him on Richmond. That will be a really good match up. I also think that Clingan doing a better job with his drop coverage and not reaching. So I'm hopeful that the game won't degenerate into a Seton hall layup line like it did at the Pru.

We will see what happens. I'd love for it to be a blowout for Connecticut, and that could happen, but we would need some help from you guys for it to happen.

This is the biggest regular season spotlight the program has had in quite some time. First Sunday in March, standalone high major game on CBS with its #1 broadcast team, on the road against the defending national champs on their Senior Day. We cannot see another throttling. At the very worst, this team must show it can be competitive against the best - particularly at this time of year.

Everyone in the college basketball world will be watching. There are no other college hoops games in the noon window and no major conference games until the game that follows (Indiana @ Maryland, also on CBS). Have to think it's a long shot, but what an opportunity to punch a ticket to the tournament.

Reactions: U-Hall and Piratz
Wuzu breakout ??? Just need a decent show and this Game is interesting

The goal for Sunday is (1) avoid injury (2) do minimal damage to metrics.

Reactions: halltheway
Well, the first game Dre abused Karaban and Kadary abused Spencer. Not sure that’s going to happen on the road but they did it in December so who knows.

Reactions: BucBloc
We need to play our ass off on defense, especially guarding the 3PT line. Let Clingan have 30 if that's what it takes.

Reactions: chickenbox

I think we should give our freshman center some minutes against Clingan on the defensive end. Sound crazy? I just was thinking he's quicker laterally and could front Clingan and keep his arms up high. I just dont want Clingan to Kalkbrenner us. (Kalk went 10/10 against our bigs last Wednesday).

• Haha
Reactions: shupat08
I think we should give our freshman center some minutes against Clingan on the defensive end. Sound crazy? I just was thinking he's quicker laterally and could front Clingan and keep his arms up high. I just dont want Clingan to Kalkbrenner us. (Kalk went 10/10 against our bigs last Wednesday).
No

Reactions: shupat08
Richmond has had some very strong games against Uconn and maybe that will continue. It would be nice to see him take a few more three pointers in each game the rest of the way, especially if Addae-Wusu is injured. He needs to shoot with conviction and confidence. His reluctance to shoot is hard to understand. His shot is not that bad, yet he takes one or two a game. His midrange is strong and he goes to the rim well. He has to start making teams pay the way other PG's in the conference do when you slack off them. Either way the team has to play with some passion and anger. We also need Coleman to add to the equation the way he had been doing. The two Centers have to pick it up on defense. In fairness Sha has them running around like chickens without heads. Just maintain the position and don't keep letting players get behind them. Kalkbrenner going 10-10 from the field was outrageous. If they play with COMPOSURE and TANACITY they can keep this close. Enough with getting Punked on the Road!

UConn shot 4/21 from 3 with Spencer 1/5 and Karaban 1/6, plus they had 17 turnovers against us in Newark. Uh yeah, thinking that won’t be the case again.

Maybe we’ll get an unusual shooting day from 3. 🫡

This is a tough one...

It's less about "showing up" than it is about us being a dreadful shooting team. It's hard to have success shooting 31% from 3 for the season. It's a credit to Sha that we are where we are. We need Wusu to hit a few, because teams are just leaving him and it's 5 on 4. Maybe Kadary or Coleman can make a few? That is what we'll need today to stay in the game.

Reactions: LBP43 and Piratz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT