ADVERTISEMENT

Geno angers Park Lane

While naming Park-Lane may not be the best way to make his point (though I have a hard time believing money was not involved - and I understand if it is) - it is good for a coach who will not be hurt by the NIL to speak out and say what a horrible idea it is.
We need the coaches of the big FB schools to join in and and say NIL as it stands today is bad for college sports - it may be good for ME, but bad for MY SPORT. Has a guy like Izzo, Scott Drew, guys of that stature commented on it? Hope so. Not expecting that to happen.

Two things can be true. It was definitely my impression that Park-Lane left for a pretty significant "NIL" deal. The suspected number may have even been posted here. It was a little embarrassing to have her featured in an issue of Seton Hall magazine that didn't arrive in my mailbox until after she had left for Mississippi State. Did she also leave to "win championships," as her strength coach says? They have a pretty good program there, so maybe. But she definitely got a bag.

But isn't that her right? She's never going to be a millionaire by playing basketball. I don't even know if at her size she projects as a WNBA player; I don't know enough about it to say. And she did fulfill the agreement she entered into when she took a scholarship at Seton Hall. Maybe she also wanted to experience a different environment for grad school? I purposely did not look at Seton Hall for grad school for that reason (there were others, but that was certainly true).

I guess if you stay in a field long enough, it'll almost always pass you by, even when you are one of the very best. Geno comes off a little salty here, but to me, the tone is off-putting mostly because he centers his concern on overpaid college basketball coaches and completely neglects the limited earning window of the players who have made him a rather wealthy man. It's tiring and ponderous.

While naming Park-Lane may not be the best way to make his point (though I have a hard time believing money was not involved - and I understand if it is) - it is good for a coach who will not be hurt by the NIL to speak out and say what a horrible idea it is.
We need the coaches of the big FB schools to join in and and say NIL as it stands today is bad for college sports - it may be good for ME, but bad for MY SPORT. Has a guy like Izzo, Scott Drew, guys of that stature commented on it? Hope so. Not expecting that to happen.

Agreed. She just wasn't the best example to use. Grad transfers have been around for a long time. She gave 4 years and moved on to a better team and got paid in doing so.

I agreed with everything else he said though.

Agreed. She just wasn't the best example to use. Grad transfers have been around for a long time. She gave 4 years and moved on to a better team and got paid in doing so.

I agreed with everything else he said though.
She had a covid year, didnt she?

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
This is the problem . We are expected to give to the NIL initiative but is there any guarantee any current player won't leave ? The players should be loyal to If not the program the fans putting $$ in their pockets .

Reactions: Burnsly and mbraue
This is the problem . We are expected to give to the NIL initiative but is there any guarantee any current player won't leave ? The players should be loyal to If not the program the fans putting $$ in their pockets .
I know that she was not recruited by any big D1 program out of H.S. and we took a chance on her. If anything we should get a 10% commission on the NIL money she received . I heard it was in the $50,000 range .

Reactions: mbraue
My two cents:

* Under the current system, Lauren had a perfect right to leave for a great NIL deal.
* Geno's dislike of the NIL system is something I share
* Geno --while surely an incredibly successful coach-- is an arrogant horse's a** who should be ashamed of himself for picking on Lauren

Reactions: Harty9
My two cents:

* Under the current system, Lauren had a perfect right to leave for a great NIL deal.
* Geno's dislike of the NIL system is something I share
* Geno --while surely an incredibly successful coach-- is an arrogant horse's a** who should be ashamed of himself for picking on Lauren
Most likely scared he will lose players because of NIL . He has 10 H.S. all Americans on his team and wants to keep it that way !!

I know that she was not recruited by any big D1 program out of H.S. and we took a chance on her. If anything we should get a 10% commission on the NIL money she received . I heard it was in the $50,000 range .
She had $25k secured from us. My understanding is she got 3x.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Most likely scared he will lose players because of NIL . He has 10 H.S. all Americans on his team and wants to keep it that way !!
But do many (any?) women's teams have more NIL potential than UCONN? On SNY last night Kara Wolters said Paige should stay for a fifth year because she will make more money than in the pros and the travel is better.

Schollys are 1 year renewables. All she (and other athletes) owed us was the current year she played.

Honestly, coaches pulled garbage for years on players. Giving non committee offers, burying people, stringing kids along until a better opportunity comes along, telling them of they transfer have to sit out. Telling a kid they are number 1 on the recruiting board when not true. Over recruiting the same position.

It happened and happens at all levels of college sports. Now, players have the ability to transfer freely and make some money and Geno is up in arms because he does not provide stability for the program or our program? Give me a break.

Honestly, coaches pulled garbage for years on players. Giving non committee offers, burying people, stringing kids along until a better opportunity comes along, telling them of they transfer have to sit out. Telling a kid they are number 1 on the recruiting board when not true. Over recruiting the same position.

It happened and happens at all levels of college sports. Now, players have the ability to transfer freely and make some money and Geno is up in arms because he does not provide stability for the program or our program? Give me a break.
I dont think Geno feels threatened at all. The current system stinks. And that was his point.

It's a terrible system. It's just comical that the guy who once had a full roster of all Americans might be subjected to only 5 on his roster at a time going forward. If he really doesn't like this system going forward, he has nothing left to prove. He's top 5 all time women's basketball coach (he can be 2, I have Summit as #1) without a doubt.

I dont think Geno feels threatened at all. The current system stinks. And that was his point.
The current system does stink but so did Genao’s example. There are kids that will play at four or possibly even five different schools but LPL was not one of those kids. She committed to us when other high majors didn’t give her a sniff. She graduated and earned her degree and played for us for four seasons. This is something we should hope for with all of our student athletes, correct? She got the Covid year and got to extend her academic and playing career by a year and she took advantage of the opportunity. However she decided to move on to another school. I’m sure I’m not the only one who wishes she was still wearing a Pirate uniform but she did what any of us would hopefully do and made what she felt was the best decision for her. It doesn’t matter what the reason for the decision was, NIL or some other reason. She got her degree from Seton Hall, she’ll always be a Pirate so wish her well in the future. She did things the right way despite Geno trying to turn it into something else. He used the wrong student athlete in his example.

Reactions: Harty9
My point is there should be at least 1 free transfer regardless of whether Lane lived up to her 4 year commitment, because coaches and schools have not been living up-to commitments for years.

Complaining about the system using Seton Hall as an example was a little suspect. Why place Lane or Seton Hall in cross hairs if the biggest coach in the game has an Issue?

Last edited:
College kids should get money from the vast amounts their efforts create. That isnt happening. College boosters should not be able to bid for players. Now, they can. So i don't take issue with the players. They get theirs. Like tyrese. Like tylaur johnson. Its legal.

But the system stinks. It hurts tony and sha tremendously. Geno uses his bully pulpit to say so. Shout it louder geno and maybe other coaches of your stature will publicly say what they know is true. Or maybe they stat silent and have a booster steal our next great player .

Last edited:

I think that Geno absolutely feels threatened, hence why he said what he said. Because at the end of the day, Geno is only concerned about what is good for himself. He thrived under the old system, and the old system is gone, and so is the leverage and advantages coaches had in the recruiting process. UConn women have not won it all in almost eight years, and now he has to work 10x as hard to get back to the top of the mountain.

I think that Geno absolutely feels threatened, hence why he said what he said. Because at the end of the day, Geno is only concerned about what is good for himself. He thrived under the old system, and the old system is gone, and so is the leverage and advantages coaches had in the recruiting process. UConn women have not won it all in almost eight years, and now he has to work 10x as hard to get back to the top of the mountain.
I agree with Seton75. I don't think he feels threatened in the least. The man's legacy is set in stone and at age 69, the end is nearing on his career.

The reason UConn hasn't won a women's title in nearly a decade has more to do with the changes in the sport and less to do with the system. Much like Wooden's UCLA teams were the last true dynasty in men's basketball, Geno's women's team are on that side of the sport.

Men's basketball exploded as the sport became more national in the 70's and 80's with greater television exposure. More players and more talented players came into the system and that meant that talent spread through the sport. Not only could you win at Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, Indiana and UCLA, you could win at Indiana State, Villanova, Gonzaga and, yes, Seton Hall.

Fast forward 40-plus years and the women's game is beginning to see those same changes. Two generations of young women have seen it as normal to compete in sports. TV exposure has greatly increased in recent years so all the talent is no longer concentrated in a half dozen schools such as UConn, Stanford and Tennessee. There are far too many really good players to do that. So, they go to South Carolina, Colorado, Oregon, Baylor and other places.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT