ADVERTISEMENT

Get it done Clyde

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Knicks’ ‘surprise’ lottery hope is Clyde Frazier

By Marc Berman

May 15, 2017 | 12:09pm

Phil Jackson’s “surprise’’ pick to sit on the dais for Tuesday’s lottery is Knicks legend/MSG Network broadcaster/former Jackson roommate Walt Frazier, the NBA announced Tuesday.

Jackson said Friday at the Draft Combine he wouldn’t do it, but had a “surprise” in store. Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek also said at the combine he wouldn’t attend the lottery, but would be clinging to some good-luck charms.

SEE ALSO
Phil Jackson talks with top point guards as draft lottery nears

Knicks GM Steve Mills, wearing former GM Dave DeBusschere’s Hall of Fame ring for luck, sat on the dais two years ago as the second seed, and the club fell to No. 4. That was fortunate, ironically, because it gave them little choice but to gamble on Kristaps Porzingis. DeBusschere was on the dais when the Knicks won the first-ever lottery in 1985, earning the chance to select Patrick Ewing.

This year, the Knicks, seeded seventh, have a 5.3 percent chance of winning the lottery and an 18.3 percent chance of finishing in the top three. They have a 57 percent chance of sticking at No. 7.

The top three picks are expected to be Lonzo Ball, Markelle Fultz and Josh Jackson, but some scouts at the combine have former Kentucky point guard De’Aaron Fox rising as a possibility. Jackson said the Knicks need guards and wings and not big men from this draft.

“We want to get the first pick,’’ Jackson said Friday at the combine. “We’re rooting for those little balls.’’

If karma/luck has anything to do with it, there's a better chance of Clyde being attacked by the crocodile his shoes are made from, than the Knicks getting the top pick.

Slightly off topic but do the Nets send a rep to the lottery or do the Celtics since they are swapping picks?

Slightly off topic but do the Nets send a rep to the lottery or do the Celtics since they are swapping picks?
Believe the Celtics do... also it would make me extremely happy to see the knicks fall as low as they can in the Lottery

Reactions: BabyBlue
It's unbelievable that with all the lotteries the Knicks have been in they have never once moved up but as they did last night they have certainly moved down.

The Nets actually traded the option to send a rep to the Celtics for some magic beans. Sad reminder: The Celtics have Brooklyn's 1st round pick in 2018 too. To review:

Brooklyn receives: Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Jason Terry and D.J. White

Boston receives: Gerald Wallace, Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks, Kris Joseph, Keith Bogans, three first-round picks (2014, 2016 and 2018), plus the right to swap first-rounders in 2017.

This had literally no chance of working out for the Nets. 0%. As a Celtics fan, I say thank you Billy King. As someone who values logical, strategic thinking...WTF are you doing Billy?!?! That one was simple. NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Reactions: Pirate6711
Possibly the worse trade in NBA history and one of the worst in all of sports.

Babe Ruth must be laughing in his grave.

Possibly the worse trade in NBA history and one of the worst in all of sports.

Babe Ruth must be laughing in his grave.

Imagine walking into a car dealership and making an offer an a car at invoice, only to have the salesperson counter with giving you the car for free and $10,000 cash on top of it. Am I being pranked? Holy cow... The novice playing in a fantasy league for fun doesn't make that deal!

The Nets actually traded the option to send a rep to the Celtics for some magic beans. Sad reminder: The Celtics have Brooklyn's 1st round pick in 2018 too. To review:

Brooklyn receives: Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Jason Terry and D.J. White

Boston receives: Gerald Wallace, Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks, Kris Joseph, Keith Bogans, three first-round picks (2014, 2016 and 2018), plus the right to swap first-rounders in 2017.

This had literally no chance of working out for the Nets. 0%. As a Celtics fan, I say thank you Billy King. As someone who values logical, strategic thinking...WTF are you doing Billy?!?! That one was simple. NOOOOOOOOOOO!
As a Celtics fan as well, I'm over the moon. Unless you heard Stugotz this morning suggesting the C's should trade the #1 for Carmelo and the # 8. LMAO

Actually that is a good trade for next year and maybe a year or so after that.

But in the long run, absolutely not.

Sort of reminds me of when the Jet's, another team I suffer rooting for had the number 1 pick in the year Peytan Manning was eligible for the draft. But Manning decided he loved the college experience so much he stood in school one more year.

Actually that is a good trade for next year and maybe a year or so after that.

But in the long run, absolutely not.

Have to disagree there. Melo's defense, even when he was younger/healthier, was terrible. He's always been indifferent to D, but now he's old and creeky on top of it. Isiah Thomas, while he gives max effort, is defensively challenged. That's a bad combo to have on the floor for a lot of minutes. Offensively, Melo is still a dangerous one on one threat and a master of the midrange, but he holds the damn ball so much. He kills offensive flow and movement. He's a legit All-Star, but I've never been a fan. For all of his talent, he doesn't make anyone around him better. Outside of Team USA, he's always been resigned to play his game his way. Boston isn't a true contender right now and adding Melo doesn't change that. He contract flat out stinks too. I'd run from that deal and most of the league is running from him. If the same deal were for Paul George (with 2 years on his deal instead of 1) I'd pull the trigger on that, knowing that he wants to be in LA and I might lose him after 2 years. That's a calculated risk worth taking to me. At this stage, I think Melo would be an interesting stretch 4. He could be hidden defensively, still torture some poor soul trying to guard him, and he is still a very good rebounder.

Anthony would no doubt have to change his game to chase a ring. He can't play like he has in the past and have the offense come to a grinding halt when he touches the ball. But I think he understands that now. He is no longer a top 5 player in the league as he once was. If he goes to a championship contender his role would have to be as a scorer and not the primary one. Meaning he's no longer a top dog but a very nice piece to the puzzle.

If, and it's a big if, he understands that playing a couple of years on a team like Boston would be very good. They need a scorer and that's what he does.

Regarding his defense. That's never been a strong point but when he's committed he is at least decent. The problem is being the best player on his team meant to him concentrating on scoring.

Melo is also a decent rebounder when he isn't chucking up ill advised bombs.

Bottom line, he's a good fit for Boston if he played like his coach would want him to play. Problem is he might say the right things and then be the same old Melo once he got there and that is a major gamble.

BUT, if he did played team ball and you add that to the #8 pick for two years or so that IMO would be a good trade.

Unfortunately after that Boston would pay a big price for giving up the number 1 draft choice so there's no way that trade is happening.

BUT, if he did played team ball and you add that to the #8 pick for two years or so that IMO would be a good trade.

I'd agree if not for the contract. Taking on that contract is more damaging than giving up the #1 pick. They still do have that 2018 Nets pick, which should be pretty high. If you cut the contract in half (still overpaying), if he plays team ball, if he plays defense, if he stays healthy... That's a lot of ifs. He's always frustrated me. Just stop holding the ball so much, limit the bad shots, and compete on defense. We're talking tweaks, not major overhaul. He could never pull it together.

Can we pick Tim Duncan now? Is that not how this works?

Isn't it the 20 year anniversary?? o_O

It sure would be nice if there was a Timmy Duncan or Lebron in this draft. What they really need is a star SF who can score and/or a big to play with Horford.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it the 20 year anniversary?? o_O

It sure would be nice if there was a Timmy Duncan or Lebron in this draft. What they really need is a star SF who can score and/or a big to play with Horford.

I'm with you. The only players who appear to be available are Butler and George. I would trade #1 for George if he signed an extension, but I don't see him doing that. I like Butler (and his contract), but not enough for #1 and another player (presumably Crowder). If it was #3 pick and Crowder, I'd feel better about it. Crowder has developed into an above average starter, shot almost 40% from 3, is a fringe all-defense team guy, and has super team friendly contract.

I am reminded of that old adage, sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. Nets want a do over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT