ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino is not a fan of Gonzaga potentially joining the Big East

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
By
NEW YORK -- Dan Hurley may be a fan of Gonzaga potentially joining the Big East Conference, but Rick Pitino most certainly is not.

“100 percent, no,” Pitino said in response to a question from NJ Advance Media following St. John’s emphatic 77-55 beatdown of Fordham on Saturday at Madison Square Garden.

“I don’t feel like getting on a plane for five or six hours. Tell (Hurley) he could go join their conference. But if they want to join for basketball only, hey, let’s do it.”

The issue was revived this weekend when Big East Commissioner Val Ackerman was in attendance Friday night in Seattle when defending NCAA champion UConn beat Gonzaga, 76-63.

“Not putting any pressure on Gonzaga to join a great basketball league but, um, yeah...” Hurley told reporters in Seattle.

“If we could get a program of Gonzaga’s caliber to come into the Big East,” Hurley had said ahead of the game, “obviously we could really use another big-time program to strengthen the league, the TV contracts and everything that goes into it, we should just suck it up.

“It would certainly be worth it just for the basketball boost that it would give to our conference,” added Hurley, the Jersey City native and former Seton Hall guard.

Ackerman told the New York Post at Big East media day that she remains in touch with Gonzaga and that the school -- which, along with UConn, has been linked to the Big 12 as well -- would be a great fit for the Big East.

“There’s no better fit for Gonzaga than the Big East,” Ackerman said. “If you look at the kind of school they are, basketball focus, their enrollment, their budget, it’s totally on point.”

As for Pitino, he has said several times he is opposed to realignment where it involves student-athletes having to make cross-country trips to compete. Stanford and Cal are set to join the Atlantic Coast Conference while Rutgers next year will be in the Big Ten Conference along with UCLA and USC.

“I think it’s the most absurd thing what’s going on in the world of college sports, it’s totally absurd,” Pitino told ZAGSBLOG in September.

“They don’t even care about women’s sports, minor sports. They’re just saying you’ve gotta travel, so everybody’s going to be sitting in an airport with their flight delayed while football and basketball are taking their private planes.”

5 games to the east coast, 5 games to the Midwest/plains for the Zags. If it’s going to happen, 2025 is the year because the BE will be renegotiating its media rights.

Reactions: U-Hall
Doesn’t mean he’s wrong.

I am no media rights expert nor do I know the landscape here, so no clue whether adding the Zags tips the scales sufficiently one way or the other on that stuff. But for other sports besides basketball I agree with him on why it doesn’t make sense.

Doesn’t mean he’s wrong.

I am no media rights expert nor do I know the landscape here, so no clue whether adding the Zags tips the scales sufficiently one way or the other on that stuff. But for other sports besides basketball I agree with him on why it doesn’t make sense.
That is obvious. Those sports don't drive these decisions.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
“There’s no better fit for Gonzaga than the Big East”.

Points for being able to say that with a straight face.
Not much crazier than USC and Oregon in Big Ten. 10 years ago many were saying Creighton did not fit. It is all bizarre, but this is college sports.

Also, Pitino ever give up his team's charter budget to help other sports? He left a bus league this year.

I was talking about the absurdity of saying the best fit for a school in Spokane, Washington is in a conference called the Big East. Sometimes the lack of a sense of humor on this board can be depressing.

Reactions: catholicman
As I have been saying, as the NCAA morphs the BE would be wise to follow.. A 16 team conference os not as hard people are gnashing.thwir teeth over.
There is no way a Gonzaga would do it on their own but minimum 4 teams on the west coat package an would be easily doable.
I have explained the schedule break down multiple times. 2 divisions H/W closest region permanent H/W with other 2 divisions annually alternating R/R & H/A for. A total of 18 conference games plenty of OCC room

While I am always suspicious of anything that comes out of “ Slick Rick’s “ mouth adding Gonzaga would be a plus for the BE .I am worried that this move would open the gates to ultimately having a 16 team Conference with two divisions , East and West and to me that changes the special niche we have now and to me big is not always better.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
While I am always suspicious of anything that comes out of “ Slick Rick’s “ mouth adding Gonzaga would be a plus for the BE .I am worried that this move would open the gates to ultimately having a 16 team Conference with two divisions , East and West and to me that changes the special niche we have now and to me big is not always better.
We would still have 5 of the original 7 members

The Italian food in Spokane is terrible (ok, somebody had to say it….).

Reactions: shu09
Based on the most recent filing with the US Dept. Of Education Gonzaga’s men’s basketball program showed that it had $11, 969,382 in expenses and had revenue of $17, 060,871 . A well funded profitable program.

Pitino can talk all he wants. The presidents of the Big East or Big 12 and Gonzaga will decide what happens.. Right now someone told me it’s not really in the works any time soon for Gonzaga to go anywhere. But he could get surprised I guess.

I have said this for years, Gonzaga needs to come to the Big East. Is it a perfect fit due to geography? No. But the way conferences are merging into mega conferences, the Big East needs to keep up. Gonzaga in the league makes sense. I wonder if it makes sense for Gonzaga.

And Pitino’s opinion means little, especially since he is not part of the league for a year.

If they join for basketball, they will have to join for any other sports that the BE sponsors.
It was the other big east, but nd joined for all but fb. I would think exceptions could be drawn up and agreed to if desired

And who would take Gonzaga’s other sports without their basketball?
My point was we changed the rules for nd maybe and we can change to differently for zags. That is the pnly way it makes sense for me, hoops only

It was the other big east, but nd joined for all but fb. I would think exceptions could be drawn up and agreed to if desired
The NCAA won't allow it.

Football is the exception because so many D-I schools don't play the sport at the D-IA (FBS) level.

Maybe that ultimately changes but right now it's all or nothing.

I'm gonna say something outlandish. Besides the "basketball 1st" principle and the fact I shake my head at the idea, what's stopping Gonzaga and what's left of the Pac 12 from merging with the Big East? 14 teams. 7 for each coast.

"Big West" would be Zags/OSU/Wash St/Creighton/Marquette/Butler/DePaul
Big East would be SHU/UConn/Georgetown/Nova/St. John's/Providence/Xavier (or swap with DePaul for the purists)

Play everybody once. Intra-conference twice.

Im not saying I'm all in on this but it's clearly an arms race in college sports on every level. And bringing in those 3 are legit D1 schools with good foundation$ to work with.

Gonzaga's best fit is the Mountain West. I don't know why the Mountain West hasn't made Gonzaga, Washington State, and Oregon State an offer they can't refuse.

I'm gonna say something outlandish. Besides the "basketball 1st" principle and the fact I shake my head at the idea, what's stopping Gonzaga and what's left of the Pac 12 from merging with the Big East? 14 teams. 7 for each coast.

Big East would be SHU/UConn/Georgetown/Nova/St. John's/Providence/Xavier (or swap with DePaul for the purists)

Im not saying I'm all in on this but it's clearly an arms race in college sports on every level. And bringing in those 3 are legit D1 schools with good foundation$ to work with.
Aside from many other reasons, how would that bring the current Big East schools any additional money?

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam

Lloyde beat me to it.

I'm not sure the mediocre programs in Pullman, WA and Corvaillis, OR are adding all that much, if anything to the BE. On or off the court.

Oregon State and Washington State essentially own the Pac-12. They are still in control of their own destiny.

Gonzaga's best fit is the Mountain West. I don't know why the Mountain West hasn't made Gonzaga, Washington State, and Oregon State an offer they can't refuse.
I think the move ends up being the other way around. The MW merges with the Pac-12 remnants to form a new Pac-12. There's too much money involved with OSU and WSU in essence being the Pac-12.

As for Gonzaga, they don't need to go anywhere. They've got a great situation in the WCC. Being the lone BB-only in the Pac-12/MW would be a complete 180 for them.

Mountain West would be a step down for Washington State and Oregon State.
Maybe in football, certainly not in basketball. Besides, where else are OSU and WSU going? It seems like the game of musical chairs left them without a seat. Their chip is Pac-12 ownership but they need someone to work with. the MW seems the most logical answer.

Got a better option?

Reactions: shu09
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT