ADVERTISEMENT

Good Mo Vaughn News

Rumors were he did not get along with Shepard Sr.
I can understand that he did not get along with Shep. I have heard that. But, what does that have to do with the university as a whole? What the school just alienated every big money person we ever had? Name the baseball field after Mo Vaughn. We complain about not having big money people but it’s not true. Somehow the school needs to be able to figure out how to bring these people back into the fold.

I can understand that he did not get along with Shep. I have heard that. But, what does that have to do with the university as a whole? What the school just alienated every big money person we ever had? Name the baseball field after Mo Vaughn. We complain about not having big money people but it’s not true. Somehow the school needs to be able to figure out how to bring these people back into the fold.
there was a chunk of time where students had negative experiences. getting a donor base starts before they begin school, not after.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam

cernjSHU, trust me they're trying​

It just seems odd that we have a lot of home run alumni that have cold relationships with the school. Instead of focusing on repairing these relationships after the fact the school should be focusing on enhancing the current student experience so the next Mo Vaughn or George Kurtz is an engaged alumnus.

It's not odd. The default student experience was terrible for a long time. There were opportunities to seek out, but the general student had a pretty bland at best experience both with the school and with the surrounding town(s).

Combine that with those who did have a positive experience and are successful or on pathways to larger success but who recognize the blandness of the base SHU experience, and you're not going to have people jumping to send money to an institution charging current students over $60k.

you're not going to have people jumping to send money to an institution charging current students over $60k.

This is one of things people never seem to realize. They are raking in millions of dollars in tuition and fees, yet they're constantly soliciting for donations from alumni who already paid thousands of dollars to attend, many of whom had poor experiences. It's naturally not going to go well. I'm talking about general donations by the way. Pay for play is an entirely different level.

Regarding Mo Vaughn, maybe he wants to determine how he spends his fortune rather than listening to folks on a message board? Maybe he's opposed to the system? We're just guessing and it's not our place to do so.

This is one of things people never seem to realize. They are raking in millions of dollars in tuition and fees, yet they're constantly soliciting for donations from alumni who already paid thousands of dollars to attend, many of whom had poor experiences. It's naturally not going to go well. I'm talking about general donations by the way. Pay for play is an entirely different level.

Regarding Mo Vaughn, maybe he wants to determine how he spends his fortune rather than listening to folks on a message board? Maybe he's opposed to the system? We're just guessing and it's not our place to do so.
Where does all that $$$ go. $60k per year seems extremely excessive. Not hating on the Univ but it’s not exactly a top tier education.

Reactions: Belluno and shu09
Where does all that $$$ go. $60k per year seems extremely excessive. Not hating on the Univ but it’s not exactly a top tier education.
Faculty are not exactly compensated well either, comparatively. Nothing is cheap in the Metro area, and when you don't have tax payers to leech off of in perpetuity like certain other institutions, the bill is large.

Matt always spoke well on his SHU experience…maybe he has given who knows

I know a few baseballs guys have lamented the idea of Blankmeyer having such success and accolades not at SHU but never really spoke badly about it

I recall reading somewhere that giving rates are down overall in colleges and universities. Maybe it’s because of escalation of tuition or maybe there’s more competition for peoples giving dollars.

Financial donors pretty much give to organizations they have a strong connection. Their college experience may just not be that strong compared to other causes. Don’t know who any of the athletes give to, but if someone is writing a big check to the childhood leukemia foundation every year good for them. Maybe they think that’s more meaningful than NIL.

I would love to see the % of SHU basketball fans by graduation class. I think the relative success of the team during your years at the university probably correlate to the % of current fans. I was lucky being there for all 4 years of Dehere. We were just coming off the National Championship. We won 2 Big East Season Regular Season Titles and 2 BET titles. We went to Elite 8 and 2 Sweet 16s. And in 93', we were set for big things. Still haunts me to this day.

And being so good in basketball was so awesome during my 4 years. I had a great time at SHU, and have so many friends. And some of the best times post school have been getting together going to games.

This is one of things people never seem to realize. They are raking in millions of dollars in tuition and fees, yet they're constantly soliciting for donations from alumni who already paid thousands of dollars to attend, many of whom had poor experiences. It's naturally not going to go well.
how is this unique to shu? omar basically every other school raking in way more tuition and fees than seton hall? a lot of aid gets given and 6k undergrads doesn't make me thing shu is flush.

i get your point but its just not unique to shu outside of the fact majority of students had a mediocre experience at best

Rumors were he did not get along with Shepard Sr.
Had many friends who played on the great 70's baseball teams and also traveled with the team broadcasting games for WSOU. Shep was in fact a different kind of guy. He butchered everyone's names - either intentionally or as a motivation. Drill Sgt is a mild moniker. Cut from a different cloth. He demanded a lot and several guys benefited by playing in the big leagues. Would venture to say that many felt that same way Mo did. Shep marched to his own beat - a military guy. Bottom line - he won and recruited great players. Probably wouldn't work in today's world.

cernjSHU, trust me they're trying​

I hope so. I just wonder whether our leadership people have the skill to do this. The 1988 baseball team was crazy good. When did Seton Hall ever honor them?
When you have $300 million maybe more, donating to your school should be something that you should do. You can’t spend that money in a lifetime. I went to school when Mo was here. He was beloved by the student body as was that entire baseball team. Remember Vaughn was the star on a team that had future Hall of Famer Craig Biggio on it and the leading hitter in the US Martese Robinson. This is the zenith of seton hall baseball and basketball.

After 30 years, whatever hard feelings should be put away to the side. The school needs to have the skill and imagination to mend these fences. Whatever made Mo hundreds of millions of dollars was certainly due in some part by that Seton Hall education. It’s time to give back.

Seton Hall changed my life for the better. It was one of the great blessings of my life. I received a great education.
This is what I meant in another thread saying all graduates are indebted to the Hall. Even Kadary and Al amir and Davis.

Although not all were starters at the time, the 1987 Pirates team had Craig Biggio, Mo Vaughn, John Valentin, Kevin Morton, and Dana Brown on the team. That's 5 MLB talents, plus Marteese Robinson who was their equal at the collegiate level.

Today, I honestly don't see any visible signs of a real relationship between the University and any of those players. We had a retirement ceremony for Biggio about 10 years ago or so. We seem to offer them a token spot in our school HOF. Anything else? In terms of pure success after college, this is probably the most storied roster in the history of our school, let alone the history of the baseball program.

Whatever the reasons are for where things stand today, they must be rectified. For one thing, we should just have better relationships with our student-athlete alums, period. Hey, maybe they aren't interested in donating to NIL - well within reason they don't care about Men's Basketball and that's where the money is going - maybe that's too difficult of an ask. But what about Pirate Blue? What about student athlete facilities? What about the University buildings and programs at large? The baseball program? Can we not be in a place where we can ask these guys to cover some scholarships so a bunch of kids don't have to be on partials?

Why are we not soliciting these men for advisory positions? A board seat? An emeritus role in the baseball program. Anything?

I luckily was there for amaker, but knew people working with the program during blaney. Blaney had zero control of the program or the players. Dan always says how well the players handle themselves when they go on the trips for the november tournaments…. It was a free for all with Blaney and they players represented the school horribly with zero class and manners. Team would go out for team meals with the coaching staff and the players would be cursing and be rude to waiters, waitresses and other patrons…

I was involved in a case with SHU relief pitcher Aldo DiTrolio, who is now a lawyer. Aldo told me that the scariest thing he faced during his years at SHU was pitching to Mo Vaughn in the gym basement without a batting pitcher's screen.

Last edited:
I hope so. I just wonder whether our leadership people have the skill to do this. The 1988 baseball team was crazy good. When did Seton Hall ever honor them?
When you have $300 million maybe more, donating to your school should be something that you should do. You can’t spend that money in a lifetime. I went to school when Mo was here. He was beloved by the student body as was that entire baseball team. Remember Vaughn was the star on a team that had future Hall of Famer Craig Biggio on it and the leading hitter in the US Martese Robinson. This is the zenith of seton hall baseball and basketball.

After 30 years, whatever hard feelings should be put away to the side. The school needs to have the skill and imagination to mend these fences. Whatever made Mo hundreds of millions of dollars was certainly due in some part by that Seton Hall education. It’s time to give back.
What I don’t get is that if their four years were so horrible then why the hell didn’t they transfer if they were so damn miserable? There must have been something that made them stay. In the case of Vaughn, if his baseball experience was that bad then donate to another aspect of the university that you enjoyed, or donate to baseball to change whatever made his experience less than what he thought it should be.

If I was not fond of a particular class or faculty member I’m not going to withhold donations to other areas of the university that I enjoyed because of it.

And, no, the university does not currently have the skill and imagination to mend these fences. Far from it, sadly.

Although not all were starters at the time, the 1987 Pirates team had Craig Biggio, Mo Vaughn, John Valentin, Kevin Morton, and Dana Brown on the team. That's 5 MLB talents, plus Marteese Robinson who was their equal at the collegiate level.
Really amazing that team went 1-2 in NCAA Baseball Tournament, and got eliminated by Auburn 22-3.

I luckily was there for amaker, but knew people working with the program during blaney. Blaney had zero control of the program or the players. Dan always says how well the players handle themselves when they go on the trips for the november tournaments…. It was a free for all with Blaney and they players represented the school horribly with zero class and manners. Team would go out for team meals with the coaching staff and the players would be cursing and be rude to waiters, waitresses and other patrons…
It wasn't great during the Raftery era either.

Reactions: LBP43
Isn't an issue that some didn't graduate? Didn't one very successful MLB relief picture within the last ten years want the university to give him a pass (or fail....?) on a few courses, and administrators, to their credit, said no, and the guy then bad-mouthed us?

Do you have any perspective on the cost of private universities in 2024? I would assume that most of that "$$$" goes to paying professors, maintaining facilities, and salaries for non-professor employees.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
I would love to see the % of SHU basketball fans by graduation class. I think the relative success of the team during your years at the university probably correlate to the % of current fans. I was lucky being there for all 4 years of Dehere. We were just coming off the National Championship. We won 2 Big East Season Regular Season Titles and 2 BET titles. We went to Elite 8 and 2 Sweet 16s. And in 93', we were set for big things. Still haunts me to this day.

And being so good in basketball was so awesome during my 4 years. I had a great time at SHU, and have so many friends. And some of the best times post school have been getting together going to games.
I graduated in 1993, and had the same experience as you. Going to basketball games was just what you did, and many of the social activities revolved around that. Newark and South Orange also had several bars that didn't care if you were 21 at the time, and the on-campus pub was still in existence.

Had many friends who played on the great 70's baseball teams and also traveled with the team broadcasting games for WSOU. Shep was in fact a different kind of guy. He butchered everyone's names - either intentionally or as a motivation. Drill Sgt is a mild moniker. Cut from a different cloth. He demanded a lot and several guys benefited by playing in the big leagues. Would venture to say that many felt that same way Mo did. Shep marched to his own beat - a military guy. Bottom line - he won and recruited great players. Probably wouldn't work in today's world.
You could say the same about PJ, though not as well publicized.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT