ADVERTISEMENT

Good piece on Osaka

Not a big fan of hers, but the French Open and WTA really comes our looking bad on this.

Not a big fan of hers, but the French Open and WTA really comes our looking bad on this.
Agree. Have to wonder just how much of that is the spin of the writers. Her and Kyrie take stances on issues (that’s their privilege) but just want the money and no questions.

Reactions: SHU_Pirate1

Tennis boss Gilles Moretton destroyed for ludicrous Naomi Osaka press conference​

By James Matthey, News.com.au

French Tennis Federation president Gilles Moretton has been roasted for failing to take any questions after saying on Monday he “was sorry and sad” that Naomi Osaka had decided to withdraw from Roland Garros.

The Japanese star announced on Tuesday she was pulling out of the French Open to focus on her wellbeing after revealing she had been suffering from mental health issues.

The decision comes in the wake of Osaka’s headline-grabbing call to boycott press conferences in Paris. Last week she said she has “often felt that people have no regard for athletes’ mental health” and forcing players to front the media after a tough loss is akin to “kicking a person while they are down”.

Moretton said on the eve of the tournament that Osaka’s decision not to attend mandatory press conferences was a “phenomenal error” and “not acceptable”, but softened his stance on Tuesday after her exit.

“We are sorry and sad for Naomi Osaka. The outcome of Naomi withdrawing from Roland Garros is unfortunate,” Moretton said as he read out a pre-prepared statement to reporters.

“We wish her the best and the quickest possible recovery. We look forward to having Naomi in our tournament next year. As all the Grand Slams, the WTA, the ATP, and the ITF, we remain very committed to all athletes’ wellbeing and to continually improving every aspect of players’ experience in our tournament, including with the media, like we have always striven to do.”

After finishing his statement, Moretton abruptly left, not taking any questions from journalists — ironic considering the very reason he was so upset with Osaka was because she wouldn’t answer questions either.

Tennis reporter Ben Rothenberg tweeted: “The immense irony of the FFT President not taking questions from the media in the wake of this Osaka withdrawal is not lost on anyone.”

The Times’ Tennis writer Stu Fraser wrote: “A new entry tonight for PR shambles of the year. Would love to know the thinking behind the FFT president calling a press conference and delivering a short pre-prepared statement on Osaka (that could have easily been sent out via email) without taking questions. Oh, the irony.”

Former Australian tennis official Richard Ings added: “So the FFT handled the Ms Osaka mental health concerns without empathy or sensitivity. Then the FFT President refuses to take questions at a presser. An own goal.”

American sportscaster Jill Martin said on Twitter: “No questions, eh?”

American political strategist Adrienne Elrod called Moretton’s performance “hypocrisy at its finest” while rugby presenter Joe Molloy said: “See Gilles Moretton, of French Federation Tennis, called a press conference, read a statement but refused to take any questions? Ironic doesn’t quite cover it.”

Moretton wasn’t the only tennis official to complain about Osaka’s stance towards press conferences before she took the sensational step of withdrawing. French Open tournament director Guy Forget said last week he was stunned by Osaka’s decision, which he found at odds with a tournament still facing organizational challenges posed by the ongoing pandemic.

“As the tournament progresses, we will see how she behaves. I don’t know what her attitude will be in the coming days, but it doesn’t send a very positive message,” Forget said on Friday.

On Monday the four grand slams united and threatened to disqualify Osaka if she continued with her boycott. But tennis fans turned on the sport’s bosses for showing little empathy towards the 23-year-old.

There’s been plenty of support from Osaka’s fellow players. Sloane Stephens, Coco Gauff and Venus Williams were among those to send their well-wishes on social media, while Serena Williams also addressed the matter after her first round win in Paris.

“The only thing I feel is that I feel for Naomi. I feel like I wish I could give her a hug because I know what it’s like,” Williams said after beating Irina-Camelia Begu in straight sets. “We have different personalities, and people are different. Not everyone is the same. I’m thick. Other people are thin.

Mental health is one of the biggest issues that face this country and the biggest one that is ignored largely until it becomes too late.

With regard to Osaka, if she is struggling with mental health, let’s all hope she seeks and receives the proper therapy and treatment. The game is not more important than someone’s health.

However, at the same time, as an athlete on that level, you can’t just turn off the press. It’s part of the gig. Time to cool off and regroup. I hope she comes back. Everyone loves a comeback story.

Not a wta issue at slams its itf and the 4 orgs that run the events...hey look she came out and said she has had mental distress since 2018, mental wellness issues are fairly serious issues and topic of the day in our culture now more than ever

Mental health is one of the biggest issues that face this country and the biggest one that is ignored largely until it becomes too late.

With regard to Osaka, if she is struggling with mental health, let’s all hope she seeks and receives the proper therapy and treatment. The game is not more important than someone’s health.

However, at the same time, as an athlete on that level, you can’t just turn off the press. It’s part of the gig. Time to cool off and regroup. I hope she comes back. Everyone loves a comeback story.
If she is suffering from mental health issues, I hope she gets the help and wish her the best.

But this is also a playbook we have seen all too often (now referred to the Megan Markle Off Tackle). Athlete's choose to use there celebrity to take a stand on a social issue and then hide behind those two words to insulate themselves from any criticism.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section112
It appears she is clinically depressed; that's pretty official. I think the reluctance to do post match press conferences has little to do with her stand on social justice. Why would she want to dodge that now?
The spokespeople in Paris say they care for her and about mental health issues, but she must do the damn pressers. Apparently she spoke to media people briefly after her first match on the court.
For the tennis establishment it is all about cuddling to its corporate sponsors, or as a great American said, "it's all about the Benjamins."

It should be noted that the 4 major grand slams stated that they reached out to her to discuss everything, and there was no response. It's hard to work with someone on these issues when you do not respond in kind. Overall, if she cannot have a dialogue with them about this issue at the moment, then I think it is likely in her best interest to get some help, and come back to the tour when she is mentally ready.

Reactions: HALL85
It should be noted that the 4 major grand slams stated that they reached out to her to discuss everything, and there was no response. It's hard to work with someone on these issues when you do not respond in kind. Overall, if she cannot have a dialogue with them about this issue at the moment, then I think it is likely in her best interest to get some help, and come back to the tour when she is mentally ready.
I agree with your last sentence completely. Otherwise, if she is being treated for a mental illness, what else should she have to tell the Roland Garros officials. They're not doctors. It probably could have been handled better, but the tennis crowd and its bankrollers are worried about others taking the same tact. Players' mental health is way, way down the chain of concerns for them.

I agree with your last sentence completely. Otherwise, if she is being treated for a mental illness, what else should she have to tell the Roland Garros officials. They're not doctors. It probably could have been handled better, but the tennis crowd and its bankrollers are worried about others taking the same tact. Players' mental health is way, way down the chain of concerns for them.
You do not know that they are not concerned for her mental wellbeing. Of course they are concerned about players doing press, tennis needs the publicity like all sports, and many many people's livelihoods depend on it, not just the players, or the French Open (umpires, linesmen, administrative staff at each tournament, and at the atp and wta tours, tv commentators and operators, etc.). I think you agree with my point though, and that is if she cannot bring herself to have a basic dialogue with the grand slam officials to explain her position (not an examination of her mental health by a professional), then she is certainly not able to play professional tennis at the highest level, and should rightfully seek the treatment she apparently needs.

............. Players' mental health is way, way down the chain of concerns for them.
Is it? Who knows?

Of course we might have gotten some indication if French Tennis Federation president Gilles Moretton had not done what he criticized the player for, and that's not talking to the media after his cardboard reading of a written statement.

It's amazing how little common sense those in power have when a solution to a problem is so obvious.

Reactions: Hallsome
Is it? Who knows?

Of course we might have gotten some indication if French Tennis Federation president Gilles Moretton had not done what he criticized the player for, and that's not talking to the media after his cardboard reading of a written statement.

It's amazing how little common sense those in power have when a solution to a problem is so obvious.
That I agree with wholeheartedly, such a bad response. But not that surprising coming the French Tennis Federation. They have been tone deaf for years.

Sounds like it was handled badly by both parties - The French Open folks and her handlers. All these elite athletes travel with multiple handlers. Why didn't her people handle this better as well and communicate with the folks at the French Open? Just sounds like things hit a tipping point and all parties could have done better here.

It appears she is clinically depressed; that's pretty official. I think the reluctance to do post match press conferences has little to do with her stand on social justice. Why would she want to dodge that now?
The spokespeople in Paris say they care for her and about mental health issues, but she must do the damn pressers. Apparently she spoke to media people briefly after her first match on the court.
For the tennis establishment it is all about cuddling to its corporate sponsors, or as a great American said, "it's all about the Benjamins."
We don't know if she is clinically depressed. She has claimed it, so you have to take her word for it, but it's not certain. And if she is and saw this as an issue for interviews, she or someone from her team should have contacted the French Open officials to make them aware, which they didn't. And then not to respond to requests, is not a good look. Those Benjamins also pay the players....

Reactions: Section112
You do not know that they are not concerned for her mental wellbeing. Of course they are concerned about players doing press, tennis needs the publicity like all sports, and many many people's livelihoods depend on it, not just the players, or the French Open (umpires, linesmen, administrative staff at each tournament, and at the atp and wta tours, tv commentators and operators, etc.). I think you agree with my point though, and that is if she cannot bring herself to have a basic dialogue with the grand slam officials to explain her position (not an examination of her mental health by a professional), then she is certainly not able to play professional tennis at the highest level, and should rightfully seek the treatment she apparently needs.

Don't want to cherry-pick this one quotation from your post, HALL85,

"if she cannot bring herself to have a basic dialogue with the grand slam officials to explain her position (not an examination of her mental health by a professional), then she is certainly not able to play professional tennis at the highest level,..."

but she has won four grand slams since 2018, most recently in Jan. 2021; so despite her illness, she has performed very well.

I'm assuming--- but I think it is pretty safe---- that she has been under a doctor's care for this. You are right: I don't know for certain, but for a young woman who is this successful--- and affluent--- and who is as open as she is about her depression, I'd be shocked if she were treating herself.

I take a contrary view on this than most do. I'm fine with athletes not meeting with the media after games. Like with everything else, people are different. Some people are really comfortable in front of a microphone, others aren't. Still others simply don't want to be bothered for whatever the reasons are.

I understand that teams and leagues and organizations want and need media availability but I'm not sure forcing people and fining them is the way to go. Personally I don't hang on every word an athlete says. If a guy has a bad shooting night or makes a critical mistake late in a game, he doesn't owe me an, "I messed up" or a "I should have passed to someone."

Don't want to cherry-pick this one quotation from your post, HALL85,

"if she cannot bring herself to have a basic dialogue with the grand slam officials to explain her position (not an examination of her mental health by a professional), then she is certainly not able to play professional tennis at the highest level,..."

but she has won four grand slams since 2018, most recently in Jan. 2021; so despite her illness, she has performed very well.

I'm assuming--- but I think it is pretty safe---- that she has been under a doctor's care for this. You are right: I don't know for certain, but for a young woman who is this successful--- and affluent--- and who is as open as she is about her depression, I'd be shocked if she were treating herself.
That’s a pretty big “safe assumption “.

Reactions: HallB

Naomi Osaka arrives home in Beverly Hills following French Open exit​

By Lee Brown

Tennis ace Naomi Osaka arrived home to her $6.9 million Beverly Hills mansion Tuesday, a day after leaving her sport in turmoil by quitting the French Open to avoid talking to the press.

The 23-year-old champ — who blamed depression and social anxiety for wanting to avoid interviews — was laden with bags as she stepped out of an SUV at the home she bought in 2019 from pop star Nick Jonas, according to photos in the Daily Mail.

Wearing a $332 tie-dye tracksuit from Vanessa Bryant’s Mambacita range, Osaka also had a cap, headphones and mask as she arrived home Tuesday as the row she sparked continued to divide the tennis world.

Once she was home, a well-wisher sent a delivery of several large letter-shaped balloons, although it was not immediately clear what message was being spelled out, the Mail noted.

naomi-osaka-la-01.jpg

Naomi Osaka purchased her $6.9 million Beverly Hills home from Nick Jonas in 2019.
BACKGRID

Osaka flew out of France soon after quitting the Open on Monday, and has not addressed the controversy she stoked beyond an Instagram post first detailing why she withdrew after being fined $15,000 for her press ban.

Her decision to put her mental health first quickly drew support from many key stars of the sport, with rival Serena Williams saying her rival was “doing the best she can.”

Others, however, insisted that facing the world after major matches was long an accepted part of the sport, with six-time Grand Slam champion Boris Becker warning that she may have put her career “in danger.”

Osaka paid $6.91 million for her five-bedroom, 4.5-bathroom Los Angeles home in 2019, Variety noted at the time. Jonas paid $6.5 million for the 4,129-square-foot pad the previous year.

Interesting op-ed, or guest essay, in this morning's N.Y Times.
Doesn't do much to address the extent of Osaka's mental illness that seems to be an issue here, but an interesting read just the same.

Simone Biles out of team gymnastics competition at Olympics with ‘mental issue’​

By Peter Botte

U.S. gymnastics superstar Simone Biles pulled out of the team finals Tuesday after an uncharacteristic balk on her vault.

According to the live Peacock broadcast, Biles’ withdrawal was not due to a physical injury, but a “mental issue she is having.”

biles-1.jpg

Simone Biles pulled out of the team competition at the Olympics.
REUTERS

One of Biles’ coaches told NBC that “physically she is fine, but she is done for tonight.”

The four-time Olympic gold medalist was being attended to by a trainer and left the floor at Ariake Gymnastics Center and was replaced during the second apparatus rotation, the uneven bars, by reserve Jordan Chiles.

Biles, who made a couple of uncharacteristic mistakes on the floor exercise and vault in the qualifying round, scored a 13.766 on her vault Tuesday morning, opening up early out of a twist and taking a hop forward upon landing.

“Simone has withdrawn from the team final competition due to a medical issue,” USA Gymnastics said in a statement. “She will be assessed daily to determine medical clearance for future competitions.”

The 24-year-old Biles led the all-around standings after the qualifying round on Sunday, but the heavily favored American team trailed the Russian Olympic Committee squad entering the finals.

“It wasn’t an easy day or my best but I got through it,” Biles wrote Monday in an Instagram post. “I truly do feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders at times.

“I know I brush it off and make it seem like pressure doesn’t affect me but damn sometimes it’s hard hahaha! The Olympics is no joke!”

Biles returned later to the floor sidelines wearing a Team USA warm-up suit to support her teammates.

That's harsh. Clearly you or anyone you know have never had issues like she is facing or you would never make that comment.

Reactions: anon_ezos2e9wn1ob0
That's harsh. Clearly you or anyone you know have never had issues like she is facing or you would never make that comment.

I think there is validity in both statements. Yes, mental health is something to take seriously, but the ridiculousness of the race to make everything a safe space is also a real thing. It's hard to discern one from the other honestly, and frankly if you declare yourself the GOAT with rhinestones, you can't be succumbing to the pressure when it actually matters.

Reactions: SHUMA04 and shu09
I think there is validity in both statements. Yes, mental health is something to take seriously, but the ridiculousness of the race to make everything a safe space is also a real thing. It's hard to discern one from the other honestly, and frankly if you declare yourself the GOAT with rhinestones, you can't be succumbing to the pressure when it actually matters.

This.

No one here including you or me can possibly understand what a person who has reached the peak of his or her sport must go through to stay there once established. More and more we are seeing both in sports and in life the toll the pressure and the corresponding mental effect is having on people in general and athletes in particular.

We saw it with Kevin Love and Naomi Osaka to name just two and we are now seeing it with Biles.

In the past I might have felt as others here are noting, but no longer. I have seen what mental health issues are doing to people I know and through that I have far more understating than I did previously.

This is an illness, one that can be debilitating. To not acknowledge that is to not understand it.

No one here including you or me can possibly understand what a person who has reached the peak of his or her sport must go through to stay there once established. More and more we are seeing both in sports and in life the toll the pressure and the corresponding mental effect is having on people in general and athletes in particular.

We saw it with Kevin Love and Naomi Osaka to name just two and we are now seeing it with Biles.

In the past I might have felt as others here are noting, but no longer. I have seen what mental health issues are doing to people I know and through that I have far more understating than I did previously.

This is an illness, one that can be debilitating. To not acknowledge that is to not understand it.
Mental health is something to take very seriously, but you also have to wonder if the way social media, money, etc., creates the environment for a mental health issue to fester and explode. All of the money, accolades, social media followers, over-the-top media pieces paint a picture that may be far from reality. These are young people that are still growing and likely have other issues in their lives and it's impossible to live up to the image that's been created.

And then it's difficult to discern someone who is really suffering from mental health issues from someone who is using it as a shield for criticism (which is unconscionable IMO). We can only look with our own eyes, try to be compassionate, but we also don't want to be suckers for someone who is taking advantage of the situation to avoid criticism.

On a separate front, with Biles out, the ratings are going to plummet.

you dont know what issues i face. or anyone else.

my comment was also geared towards the current workplace environment. these athletes are glorified so its ok but the regular laymen pawn to shut up and grind doing something they dont particularly love. is this mental health problem only exclusive to sports?

Last edited:
Reactions: shu09
What I do know is if you or anyone else have in the past had the issues she is facing you would be far more understanding in your comments.

That's right her mental wellness clock should have said this is tokyo big stage let's postpone this trigger until we get back stateside

What I do know is if you are or anyone else have in the past had the issues she is facing you would be far more understanding in your comments.
right but i never said she should compete. never even commented on her. commented on myself.

are you in the game of comparing issues? are you in the game of evaluating ones mental capacity to deal with issues? someones mental state can cope much worse with "lesser" problems. its not cut an dry. just because someones problems arent deemed worse doesnt mean their mental state isnt worse. its all chemical right?

That's right her mental wellness clock should have said this is tokyo big stage let's postpone this trigger until we get back stateside
Kind of ironic. Is it really a big stage if there are no fans in the stands?

Or is the "stage" a virtual social media platform that is so far from reality that it creates expectations (some imposed by the athlete) that are ridiculous?

Mental health is something to take very seriously, but you also have to wonder if the way social media, money, etc., creates the environment for a mental health issue to fester and explode. All of the money, accolades, social media followers, over-the-top media pieces paint a picture that may be far from reality. These are young people that are still growing and likely have other issues in their lives and it's impossible to live up to the image that's been created.

And then it's difficult to discern someone who is really suffering from mental health issues from someone who is using it as a shield for criticism (which is unconscionable IMO). We can only look with our own eyes, try to be compassionate, but we also don't want to be suckers for someone who is taking advantage of the situation to avoid criticism.

On a separate front, with Biles out, the ratings are going to plummet.
This is a pretty good analysis.

Regardless of the underlying causes though, mental health issues are real. Many times one puts so much pressure on themselves that it causes these types of issues.

I know, I've been there. Badly. No one here knows about it other than one or two people. It helps to have someone who is willing to go out of their way to help (cough, cough, Halldan, cough, cough). It takes time and you need to step back.

The only issue I may have is those that want their cake and eat it too. If you are so affected, step back from the sport until you are in a better place. You can't/shouldn't play and then hope to dictate what others need to do, ie reporters, press conferences, etc. That is not how it works and can actually be detrimental to one's mental health in the long term.

There was a time when rising to the challenge of the pressure in sports is what made someone great and failing to do so was a ding against one's "greatness" especially if you run around telling everyone how great you are.

And to assume someone does not have any personal connection to struggles with mental wellness because they have a different opinion on a than you is some significant hubris in one's own righteousness.

The only issue I may have is those that want their cake and eat it too. If you are so affected, step back from the sport until you are in a better place. You can't/shouldn't play and then hope to dictate what others need to do, ie reporters, press conferences, etc. That is not how it works and can actually be detrimental to one's mental health in the long term.
This is a key point (and I'm sure any mental health professional would agree). If you are suffering from an issue - and the completion is the contributor - you need to step away and get the help.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT