ADVERTISEMENT

Good trade, bad trade.

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
How would you rate this trade for the Celts and or 76ers?

Celtics, 76ers finalize blockbuster deal to swap top picks
The Boston Celtics and Philadelphia 76ers have officially completed a blockbuster trade that sends the No. 1 overall pick in this week's NBA draft from Boston to Philadelphia.Trade grades: Who wins Celtics-Sixers pick swap?

How valuable is the No. 1 pick the Celtics have agreed in principle to trade to the Sixers? Kevin Pelton breaks down how well the two teams would fare in the trade.

The Sixers, who are expected to select Washington guard Markelle Fultz first overall, traded the No. 3 overall pick and a future first-round pick to the Celtics.

The future first-rounder sent to Boston will either be the Los Angeles Lakers' selection next year -- if it falls between Nos. 2 and 5 -- or a first-rounder in 2019, belonging either to Sacramento or Philadelphia. The teams announced the deal on Monday.

"We're thrilled to be able to select what we expect [to] be an impact player with the third pick in this year's very talented draft class, while also adding a highly valuable future asset as we continue to build toward Banner 18," Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said in a statement.

It will mark the second straight year that Philadelphia selects first overall. The Sixers used the No. 1 pick last year on Ben Simmons, who missed the entire season because of a foot injury.

76ers president of basketball operations Bryan Colangelo said the trade "puts us in the enviable position of selecting first overall in consecutive draft years."

"History suggests that No. 1 has the greatest odds of producing franchise-level talent and we are confident that this year's draft class has that very potential," Colangelo said. "Thursday night will see us take another significant step toward building a successful and sustainable basketball program."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-76ers-no-3-pick-future-first-round-selection

Good trade for the Celts. I didn't understand taking Fultz when you have Thomas. Now, the Celts can take someone like Josh Jackson from Kansas who would be a great addition to that team and who I think has the most talent in the draft.

As a 76ers fan..
love it. on top of being maybe the best player in the draft, Fultz is also the best fit with Simmons, Embiid, and Saric. Hinkie gave the 76ers a ton of assets which allow us to make this type of trade.

For the Celtics, I think it's about getting even more assets which they'll trade for an all-star (maybe jimmy butler).

Makes sense for both sides, although now Lakers could take Jackson at #2 and screw things up for Boston.

The most amazing thing about this trade is how the Celtics keep stockpiling first round picks and high ones at that.

This might be one of those great trades for both teams but that future pick involves some very bad teams and again can become a high lottery choice. Combine that with the Billy King giveaways and the Celts will soon become another super team.

The King trade with the Celtics might go down as the worst trade in the history of sports.Or at the very least the second worst.

Even Babe Ruth must be laughing in his grave.

The Celtics clearly have a strategic plan on how to return to the top of the NBA and Ainge is executing that plan to perfection unlike the Knicks and Nets who seem to have no plan at all. It looks like the 76er's also have recognized that rebuilding thru the draft and getting multiple 1st round picks is the way to go as well.

Could be a trade that benefits both teams, but i see it favoring the Celts big time. Its essentially trading Fultz ( whom you don't really need) for this year's number 3, and a likely high pick next year. Celts can take Jackson, trade down or trade for a proven performer. In terms of high draft picks now and in the near future Boston is sitting pretty. 76ers may have the real deal in Fultz, but when any basketball player is coming back from a major foot injury (Simmons) you've got to be concerned. Embiid was not exactly the poster boy for good health this past season either.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
Probably good for both. Philly gets the guy they want. Giving up a future (potentially) high draft pick shouldn't be a concern. They made a few of their own over the years. Perhaps it's time to Realize The Process now. Boston can still their guy or a player and additional high pick to make a deal if they choose.

And Dan, the Billy King trade IS THE WORST trade ever. Unlike with Ruth, everyone knew how the Brooklyn trade was going to work out. I still can't believe it happened. Pierce and KG we're done. They were in the high-end role player stage of their careers. And it was highly likely the Nets were going to be terrible when it can time to cash them in, so they'd probably be very high. It's insane... I'm a Celtics fan and my reaction to the trade is negative, because it defies all common sense and logic. My brain can't handle it. It's a strange mix of THANK YOU and WHY?!?!?

On an semi-related note, I happened to catch Francesa on with with his guy Ira the Miami writer today talking about the draft.

Ira was taking about the lack of value for centers in today's game, and how it's reflected around the league and in the draft. He said he talked about it in depth this weekend with Stu Jackson, who was quite emphatic about it.

I immediately thought of Garyshu71, his buddy Stu and Stu's role with the Big East, and couldn't help but think that Stu played a heavy behind the scenes role in making sure that Delgado made a sensible decision about staying in school.

The valued centers today are anthony davis, boogie, embiid, gasol, etc. 7 ft mongoloids that drain 3s and fts and are mobile, etc. Unless youre them then nobody cares.

On an semi-related note, I happened to catch Francesa on with with his guy Ira the Miami writer today talking about the draft.

Ira was taking about the lack of value for centers in today's game, and how it's reflected around the league and in the draft. He said he talked about it in depth this weekend with Stu Jackson, who was quite emphatic about it.

I immediately thought of Garyshu71, his buddy Stu and Stu's role with the Big East, and couldn't help but think that Stu played a heavy behind the scenes role in making sure that Delgado made a sensible decision about staying in school.
I'll have to look into that and see if Stu will talk about it.

It's one of those things were as soon as I heard Jackson's name mentioned in regard to the topic of centers and their declining value in today's NBA, I figured he'd be a natural voice of reason in the process of helping Delgado make an informed decision.

Closet Seton Hall fan for years. Friend and fan of PJ. Stu was a Kamikaze Kid at Oregon playing for Dick Harter. Broke UCLA's 122 game home winning streak at Pauley. Man could play. Then got on a motorcycle one summer.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT