ADVERTISEMENT

GOP Debate

I don't think DeSantis is the answer. Too much of a typical politician with canned lines. Wasn't too impressed by his debate the other night. I would put my faith in Haley, Christie, and maybe Pence (but I'm not convinced).

Reactions: SnakeTom and Merge
I hope you’re right. I thought the same thing a few months ago and was confident RDS could take trump down. His sputtering campaign + the fact that Trump is consistently polling at 50% or higher has made reality set in for me.

Same thing for democrats. If they are going to replace Biden someone has to start making moves, primaries are less than 6 months away. Unfortunately I think we’re ending up with a rematch of 2020.
It’s early yet. There are lots of examples of candidates that were way ahead, that disappeared. I still believe Trump and Biden will not be on the ballot come next November.

It’s early yet. There are lots of examples of candidates that were way ahead, that disappeared. I still believe Trump and Biden will not be on the ballot come next November.
I can see Trump not being the nominee if he is convicted and even some of his fervent supporters turn against him. There just seems to be this assumption by a good portion of the public (about half of the people in this poll who gave a definitive answer) that he will not be convicted, and I think a lot of people in these polls where Trump leads by a significant margin are making that assumption. That could change if he's suddenly facing prison time.

If he is convicted (and I think he will be, of something), it will be interesting to see how things shake out. I'm skeptical that he'll lose enough support to lose the nomination.

When it comes to Biden, I have no idea. I imagine he runs, unless his health rapidly declines or something. I don't think any of this Hunter Biden stuff will prevent him from running.

When you get a chance search for John Sununu’s view of how this will shake out.

I agree that a criminal conviction and prison time *should* make trump lose support. I’m of the belief that history repeats itself though. Trump has come back even stronger every time the experts have said he’s been left for dead over the years.

I agree that a criminal conviction and prison time *should* make trump lose support. I’m of the belief that history repeats itself though. Trump has come back even stronger every time the experts have said he’s been left for dead over the years.

I believe you've said you work for some political consulting firm or something similar. I'm curious, what do you see out there as to why so many people continue to fervently support Trump to this day? I understand the anti-Biden/Democrat angle, but there are other people out there who can fill that role.

I believe you've said you work for some political consulting firm or something similar. I'm curious, what do you see out there as to why so many people continue to fervently support Trump to this day? I understand the anti-Biden/Democrat angle, but there are other people out there who can fill that role.
To put it simply, it’s the entertainment factor. People will talk about the economy, the border, etc. but anyone with half a brain knows DeSantis or Tim Scott would be a much better president when it comes to policy. Imo most people don’t care about policy at all, they just want to be entertained and that’s what trump provides.

Politics really is just one giant marketing campaign and Donald Trump is a master marketer the likes of which we’ve never seen. Unless and until someone can match his abilities on the GOP side, he’ll keep his death grip on the base and by extension all of the key players in the party.

Sad to hear that millions of people want an entertainer as POTUS rather than a, you know, president.

That said, I think this race tightens up a lot as the reality of Trump's legal issues starting to play out combines with a narrowing of the field. Hopefully we see the majority of candidates leave the race if they continue to be unable to gain any traction.

The best way to beat Trump in a primary is going to be head to head. I think the race needs to thin to no more than three candidates by around the time of the Iowa caucus.

Last edited:
I really don't think so. I still have faith (admittedly maybe misguided) that most of the people of our country will not vote for this guy. Seriously, how could you at this point? What attracts people to a foul-mouthed, immoral narcissist (among many other faults)? Guess it's just another sign of the continued decline and dumbing down of America.

There are other good candidates in the party who are capable of winning the nomination. I still maintain that neither Trump nor Biden will be the nominees of their respective parties.
are you going to concede our bet at this point?

To put it simply, it’s the entertainment factor. People will talk about the economy, the border, etc. but anyone with half a brain knows DeSantis or Tim Scott would be a much better president when it comes to policy. Imo most people don’t care about policy at all, they just want to be entertained and that’s what trump provides.

Politics really is just one giant marketing campaign and Donald Trump is a master marketer the likes of which we’ve never seen. Unless and until someone can match his abilities on the GOP side, he’ll keep his death grip on the base and by extension all of the key players in the party.
Also think it has a lot to do with:
1-Voters on both sides being disgusted with traditional politicians (as evidenced by how approval ratings have dropped).
2-A primary system that benefits extreme candidates.

Sadly a lot of ignorance ITT

Expected since the globalists have firmly entrenched their tentacles in DC.

We’re a 🍌 republic

I can see Trump not being the nominee if he is convicted

Realistically though, none of the cases will be resolved by Election Day.

It will either be Trump, or he will voluntarily drop out because it benefits him somehow.

As the father of three daughters, I think it would be fitting for Haley to make history as our first female President. She has the resume, common sense, and consensus building demeanor.

It’s hard to argue against the fact that Haley gives the GOP the best path to the White House

Haley performed the best but she also said she would support Trump if he was convicted of a crime. I mean it’s really unfathomable that a Presidential candidate would support a convicted felon for President. Is this how low the Republican Party has sunk? When John McCain died, the soul of the entire Party died with him.

Haley performed the best but she also said she would support Trump if he was convicted of a crime. I mean it’s really unfathomable that a Presidential candidate would support a convicted felon for President. Is this how low the Republican Party has sunk? When John McCain died, the soul of the entire Party died with him.
So you would vote for Biden or Kennedy instead of Haley?

When John McCain died, the soul of the entire Party died with him.
McCan killed off the republicant party long before he died. Became a crotchety old man. Terrible takes on having the federal government investigate steroids in baseball, left the campaign trail during the 2008 crash even as he admitted he didn’t understand it, campaigned against keeping Obamacare and then quickly gave the thumbs up to it, and was a huge war hawk. I could go on.

I didn’t know cern was such a war mongerer.

Any of the GOP candidates would make a better President than Biden, including Trump. The problem is the Kool-aid drinkers in the base will accept nothing less than full fledged conspiracy when it comes to the “stolen election”, the war in Ukraine, Covid, etc.

This forces otherwise sane politicians to take positions that hurt them in the general election. We saw it play out with the trump-endorsed candidates in the midterms. Blake masters, Oz, Laxalt, Herschel Walker. Nothing but absolute devotion is acceptable and anyone who doesn’t drink the Kool-aid is a RINO. It’s political Scientology.

Honestly I think you’re reading too much into that answer. They need to balance saying the right thing for political reasons and standing for what they believe in.

You can’t piss off Trump’s base and win. I still think Trump gets the nomination, but if he doesn’t, whoever gets the nomination will need the support of his base.

Honestly I think you’re reading too much into that answer. They need to balance saying the right thing for political reasons and standing for what they believe in.

You can’t piss off Trump’s base and win. I still think Trump gets the nomination, but if he doesn’t, whoever gets the nomination will need the support of his base.
Disagree with your take. You are running for President. If you can’t stand up for a basic principal that a convicted felon should not be supported as President, then you have no business running for the job. This is a very low bar and every candidate besides Christie and Ada Hutchinson failed miserably.

As far as Biden goes, he has done a respectable job as President. There are issues like the border that he hasn’t addressed. But, infrastructure, Chips Act, the economy (getting inflation under control with no recession and GDP growth 2.5% with record low unemployment is a big accomplishment. His management in Ukraine war has been on point and bringing back our traditional NATO Allie’s was extremely important after the damage that was done by the previous administration.

If you think it’s acceptable to support criminals for President, then that’s pretty sa state of affairs.

Any candidate can change their vote and it will depend if he gets convicted and what he is guilty of. What if it’s not a felony? All election stuff and posturing. Can’t get too high and mighty about something that hasn’t happened yet. Both parties have been guilty of having criminals in Congress and the Senate and both have acted badly at times. Welcome to politics 101.

Any candidate can change their vote and it will depend if he gets convicted and what he is guilty of. What if it’s not a felony? All election stuff and posturing. Can’t get too high and mighty about something that hasn’t happened yet. Both parties have been guilty of having criminals in Congress and the Senate and both have acted badly at times. Welcome to politics 101.
Thus his exactly what I am talking about that the bar is so low. The actions of Trump were despicable and reprehensible with it without a conviction. Christie said we have to stop normalizing this behavior and he is 100% right. No one has done what Trump has done.

Reactions: chickenbox
I agree with Christie 100% but he’s playing his role as hit man. The candidates with a chance have to consider the power of the Trumpers unfortunately. At least the candidates are awake and can finish a sentence. What is worse voting for a criminal or a guy that isn’t actually running the country who is probably a criminal and has dementia? Like you said the bar is extraordinarily low. Hopefully we have other choices in the end. And I’d rather vote for someone based on their record vs how they answer a question posed by the Fox moderators. Actions speak louder than words.

Thus his exactly what I am talking about that the bar is so low. The actions of Trump were despicable and reprehensible with it without a conviction. Christie said we have to stop normalizing this behavior and he is 100% right. No one has done what Trump has done.

Is Christie a saint?

Disagree with your take. You are running for President. If you can’t stand up for a basic principal that a convicted felon should not be supported as President, then you have no business running for the job. This is a very low bar and every candidate besides Christie and Ada Hutchinson failed miserably.

As far as Biden goes, he has done a respectable job as President. There are issues like the border that he hasn’t addressed. But, infrastructure, Chips Act, the economy (getting inflation under control with no recession and GDP growth 2.5% with record low unemployment is a big accomplishment. His management in Ukraine war has been on point and bringing back our traditional NATO Allie’s was extremely important after the damage that was done by the previous administration.
Biden’s done such a “respectable” job that the majority of his own party doesn’t want him to run again. We know you can only pull the “D” lever no matter who the candidate is.
If you think it’s acceptable to support criminals for President, then that’s pretty sa state of affairs.

Biden’s done such a “respectable” job that the majority of his own party doesn’t want him to run again.

Well, I would prefer he not run but that’s not really about his job performance.

I think he has several significant policy wins under his belt that would deserve a chance at a second term. Not perfect and has some failures as well but if he were 10 years younger I think he’d have more support in this economy especially with the soft landing out of the pandemic where everyone was predicting a recession.

He’s just too old, and doesn’t seem to be all there anymore. He hasn’t done as much as I would have liked to bring the country together and govern from the middle as I hoped he would. I honestly think Haley would do a better job there even though I would disagree with her on key issues.

Reactions: chickenbox
Well, I would prefer he not run but that’s not really about his job performance.

I think he has several significant policy wins under his belt that would deserve a chance at a second term. Not perfect and has some failures as well but if he were 10 years younger I think he’d have more support in this economy especially with the soft landing out of the pandemic where everyone was predicting a recession.
His lack of addressing the border crisis has been a complete disaster, not only in terms of the illegal migrant surge that is making a mess out of the border states and sanctuary cities, but has also proliferated the fentanyl overdoses and more human trafficking.

And many of what you would suggest as successes have resulted in the expansion of trillions of debt.

He’s just too old, and doesn’t seem to be all there anymore. He hasn’t done as much as I would have liked to bring the country together and govern from the middle as I hoped he would. I honestly think Haley would do a better job there even though I would disagree with her on key issues.
I think it’s fair to say he’s been divisive since taking office. Another thing that could have been a layup to solidify his legacy. Agree that Haley would do a much better job especially leading from the middle.

His lack of addressing the border crisis has been a complete disaster, not only in terms of the illegal migrant surge that is making a mess out of the border states and sanctuary cities, but has also proliferated the fentanyl overdoses and more human trafficking.
I agree, he hasn’t done enough to address the border and I thought he would have had a chance to get something done there and make both sides meet in the middle.

if he we’re able to get both sides together and get something done there, that would have solidified him as the best option for the next 4 years. Given that no president has been able to address the issue effectively though, I’m not going to give more weight to that issue than I would anyone else who hasn’t addressed it.

And many of what you would suggest as successes have resulted in the expansion of trillions of debt.

Every major bill will add to our debt.
The infrastructure bill, CHIPS act and inflation reduction act were all significant legislative accomplishments which will put our country in a better economic position for decades to come.

Investments are either worth making or they’re not. Not everything is as black and white as the cost alone when you’re talking about infrastructure and promoting technological advancements to be built here in the US instead of offshore.

I agree, he hasn’t done enough to address the border and I thought he would have had a chance to get something done there and make both sides meet in the middle.

if he we’re able to get both sides together and get something done there, that would have solidified him as the best option for the next 4 years. Given that no president has been able to address the issue effectively though, I’m not going to give more weight to that issue than I would anyone else who hasn’t addressed it.
That’s a lame way of giving him a pass. He’s done absolutely nothing to address the border problems and it’s so bad, that even his own party is begging him to do something, yet crickets.
Every major bill will add to our debt.
The infrastructure bill, CHIPS act and inflation reduction act were all significant legislative accomplishments which will put our country in a better economic position for decades to come.
Every major bill adds debt? I didn’t realize that…lol. Anyone can take a bow if they have an unlimited check book. Once again, thankfully Sinema and Manchin prevented the price tags from being even higher.
Investments are either worth making or they’re not. Not everything is as black and white as the cost alone when you’re talking about infrastructure and promoting technological advancements to be built here in the US instead of offshore.

That’s a lame way of giving him a pass.

I said it’s a failure and why I would vote for Haley over him. Not sure why you think it’s a pass?

Every major bill adds debt? I didn’t realize that…lol. Anyone can take a bow if they have an unlimited check book.

The debt is just a secondary argument and not worth debating. Every president adds a significant amount of debt. Either the bills are worth the cost or they’re not. I believe the bills passed were significant accomplishment which were in between what dems and republicans wanted at the time.

I said it’s a failure and why I would vote for Haley over him. Not sure why you think it’s a pass?
Because you were equating him to all other Presidents and arguably he’s been a lot worse.
The debt is just a secondary argument and not worth debating. Every president adds a significant amount of debt.
Every President? And how many have added anywhere near the amount of his administration.
Either the bills are worth the cost or they’re not. I believe the bills passed were significant accomplishment which were in between what dems and republicans wanted at the time.
Time will tell if they were worth it.

Because you were equating him to all other Presidents and arguably he’s been a lot worse.

Everything needs context. It’s a complex problem that needs to be solved but everyone before him has been kicking the can down the road.
He gets a F on the issue from me, but that’s not all I’d grade him on is all I was saying.

Every President? And how many have added anywhere near the amount of his administration.

If you’re being honest here and looking at it as a percentage, most of them… though part of that is because of a higher baseline due to the worst pandemic in any of our lifetimes. I wouldn’t blame Trump or Biden for the increase in debt because of the pandemic.

Hall 85. Any spending on infrastructure was worth it. You can’t be serious saying infrastructure is not worth the spend. We desperately needed this and Biden delivered. Even on something so obvious you can’t give the man credit. Which shows that no matter what he does, he can’t win with you. So no point debating Biden with you

Maybe I am wrong but I dont remember you crying about the debt Trump rang up over 8 billion. Even before CoVid he ran up 3 billion in debt. Biden is half that and with very good spending is included with infrastructure Spending. But all you can begrudgingly say is time will tell.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT