ADVERTISEMENT

GOP Debate

NYShoreGuy

All Universe
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2006
I intend to watch at least 30 min...i feel Haley and Christie will be most well spoken...Vivek will come off unpolished and DeSantis will further collapse...other 4 eh ho hum

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Debates are like March Madness….survive and advance. Candidates sink or swim and I will watch with curiosity (rather than predict). I like that Trump will not be there to take all the air off the room.

Reactions: Pirata
And we'll all be surprised if Trump keeps it civil. He'll likely be hurling his childish insults from the safety of his computer because he was too cowardly to show up and say anything to their faces.

• Haha
I thought Haley and Pence stood out tonight. Far more aggressive and forceful (in a good way) than they have been on the trail. But sheesh, Pence is really angling for that evangelical vote. Also interesting how he seemed to have a specific distaste for Ramaswamy.

DeSantis did fine but didn't stand out. I'd say he held his own but didn't move the needle.

Christie is clearly a smart guy and an effective debater, but he's fairly ineffective without Trump on the stage. Trump has to be there for Christie to really gain traction.

Thought Tim Scott was nervous. Had a couple of good moments but overall a net negative.

Ramaswamy is an interesting fellow. Clearly trying to make a name for himself with standout moments, but seems like a fraud. He's trying to be a combination of a nicer Trump (businessman, anti-establishment, not afraid to say anything) and Barack Obama (young, minority, good speaker, fundamental change agent). Fascinating dynamic.

Hutchinson and Burgum seem like nice guys but are complete non-factors. Got strong Lincoln Chafee 2016 vibes from Burgum.

Finally, what a disgrace that the party of so-called "law and order" can not repudiate a man facing four indictments once and for all.

Last edited:
I thought Haley and Pence stood out tonight. Far more aggressive and forceful (in a good way) than they have been on the trail. But sheesh, Pence is really angling for that evangelical vote. Also interesting how he seemed to have a specific distaste for Ramaswamy.

DeSantis did fine but didn't stand out. I'd say he held his own but didn't move the needle.

Christie is clearly a smart guy and an effective debater, but he's fairly ineffective without Trump on the stage. Trump has to be there for Christie to really gain traction.

Thought Tim Scott was nervous. Had a couple of good moments but overall a net negative.

Ramaswamy is an interesting fellow. Clearly trying to make a name for himself with standout moments, but seems like a fraud. He's trying to be a combination of a nicer Trump (businessman, anti-establishment, not afraid to say anything) and Barack Obama (young, minority, good speaker, fundamental change agent). Fascinating dynamic.

Hutchinson and Burgum seem like nice guys but are complete non-factors. Got strong Lincoln Chafee 2016 vibes from Burgum.

Finally, what a disgrace that the party of so-called "law and order" can not repudiate a man facing four indictments once and for all.

I guess you don't believe in "innocent until proven guilty"?

Haley's response on abortion was the best and most truthful I have every heard.

I thought the best performance was Haley. She had thoughtful responses while also dosing some reality to voters on topics such as abortion, Ukraine and the border.

The second tier of performers were Christie and Pence. Pence Went t a little overboard with the evangelical angle. But had some good moments while he sometimes got sucked into it by Vivek. Christie was solid giving credit ti Pence and giving answers that may not have been popular with their crowd but thoughtful and real.

Next was DeSantis. He did fine but I don’t think he stood out and kept trying to avoid questions. He also got caught up looking like he was following the script that was leaked.

Vivek was exposed for the fraud that he is. . He was at times obnoxious trying to antagonize all other contenders. His answers bordered on some crazy moments especially with Ukraine and Trump. Articulate and bright but also showed huge inexperience and lacks a fundamental understanding of foreign affairs.

Scott, Asa and the guy from North Dakota looks like that they don’t belong on stage. Each had decent moments but you can just tell that they are not ready for this stage.

Other than your obvious VDS coupled with your Trumpian name calling, your points are valid.

Last edited:
I didn't watch it but just read some reviews and heard some clips. Haley did a good job on framing abortion which you would think will help her in the polls. I don't get what Pence's angle about her lacking leadership...it's exactly what she did...that's what consensus building is!

Desantis clearly showed he is only candidate that can beat Biden.Ramaswamy came across as a guy who thinks he knows everything.and likely is a one trick poney who looks like Republican mayor Pete a great talker whi is an empty suit .

I watched the whole thing. Trump is a pussy for not showing up.

Haley did great and I thought DeSantis wasn't bad either. I really liked Burgum and wish Americans could vote for a plain talking, sensible guy like him. I like Tim Scott a lot, but he did just OK.

Christie tried to be a bull in the china shop but the crowd bood him. He is right that Trump's behavior isn't deserving of the presidency. Asa made some good points but has no chance. Ramasway had some moments but he came across as a bit of a fraud I thought. Haley really tore him apart and he had no reasonable answers except its time for a new generation of politicians - which he is not wrong about but its not gonna be him.

Trumpers need a math class - they can never win a general election if women and independents won't vote for Trump. It doesn't matter if he wins the Repub primary if he can't win the election. Haley started to address that and stopped herself.

Haley's framing of the abortion debate was great as well as Burgum's point that said if we agree that Roe v Wade was overreach, then we have to let the Constitution take hold and allow the states to handle their position individually - perfectly said IMO.

Haley won the debate IMO and came across polished and experienced.

Haley did great and I thought DeSantis wasn't bad either. I really liked Burgum and wish Americans could vote for a plain talking, sensible guy like him. I like Tim Scott a lot, but he did just OK.

Christie tried to be a bull in the china shop but the crowd bood him. He is right that Trump's behavior isn't deserving of the presidency. Asa made some good points but has no chance. Ramasway had some moments but he came across as a bit of a fraud I thought. Haley really tore him apart and he had no reasonable answers except its time for a new generation of politicians - which he is not wrong about but its not gonna be him.

Trumpers need a math class - they can never win a general election if women and independents won't vote for Trump. It doesn't matter if he wins the Repub primary if he can't win the election. Haley started to address that and stopped herself.

Haley's framing of the abortion debate was great as well as Burgum's point that said if we agree that Roe v Wade was overreach, then we have to let the Constitution take hold and allow the states to handle their position individually - perfectly said IMO.

Agreed. Haley was honest and convincing. Absolutely loved how she blamed Republicans for runaway spending as well. It's not just a Democrat problem.

At this point, I honestly don't understand what Trumpers see in him. I completely understand giving him a shot in 2016. But much of what he has done since then, especially since the last election, should have resulted in a complete and total loss of support. It was cringeworthy to see most of the candidates slowly and awkwardly raise their hands, after Ramaswamy did, to say they'd support him if he wins the nomination.

Absolutely awful synopsis and takes.

I couldn’t disagree anymore

Haley, lol, she’s a Warhawk, WEF puppet that aside from abortion didn’t offer any solutions nor hope

Free speech , censorship, infringement of civil rights were not even discussed at all in the entire debate. Disappointing

• Haha
Reactions: Section112
Vivek said brutally honest things but he’s not ready.

I agree with this take, RDS won this debate.
Pence was very poised too

DeSantis did have some very good moments and his record in Fla is very appealing. He's the only one in power during the whole pandemic that did not overreact, he immediately protected the senior population and kept kids in school and didn't shutter businesses. If he can get a little less stiff, he has a shot. It does look like it hurts him to smile - he's working on that.

The media has done all they can to mock Florida incessantly because they believe he is a threat.

I still don't believe for a second that Biden will actually run. His campaign organization has done very little which is a key indicator.

Desantis was brutal optically. He can't help making weird faces and comes of as incredibly unlikable. He has zero chance to win a general election and the RNC should be trying to push him out right now. Same with Ramaswamy, the guy is only about trying to get applause from the weirdos who would attend a debate, he's wasting everyone's time. The only people who came off as remotely professional were Haley and Pence, and Christie who can't win.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
DeSantis did have some very good moments and his record in Fla is very appealing. He's the only one in power during the whole pandemic that did not overreact, he immediately protected the senior population and kept kids in school and didn't shutter businesses. If he can get a little less stiff, he has a shot. It does look like it hurts him to smile - he's working on that.

The media has done all they can to mock Florida incessantly because they believe he is a threat.

I still don't believe for a second that Biden will actually run. His campaign organization has done very little which is a key indicator.
DeSantis? Wait besides running away from questions, what was the story about the person who survived multiple abortion attemots by her mother and was left in a pan and until grandmother brought her to the hospital? I have a hard time believing that story

Haley and Chunky Chris have the best chance of flipping dems and winning the middle. It either is nominated Republicans will win the election

Ron leaves the election to a cointoss because he’s seeming to be a puppet compared to his last few years as gov

Vivek is smart but acting like trump Jr. Is not going to get him very far

I had missed this last night, but this is just brutal:

Also, people mocking Florida is nothing new. The "Florida Man" meme, for example, dates back to 2013, at least.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
I live in Florida and he’s a great Governor

He won in a landslide and got votes from many registered Democrats

I was used to a horrible governor in Jersey, Murphy.

Big difference between them.
He’s a great Governor. But everything about his presidential campaign is different then his demeanor and personality as governor

Reactions: SOpirate
He’s a great Governor. But everything about his presidential campaign is different then his demeanor and personality as governor

He’s Chris Christie after his first term. Once he started to position himself for a presidential run, he lost what made him an effective leader.

Barring something completely unforeseen, Trump will be the nominee. People keep acting like there’s another shoe about to drop, but he’s been arrested 4 times now and has only gone up in the polls. Personally I’m not thrilled, but like it or not he’s going to be the guy.

Everyone else is running a shadow campaign to position themselves as the heir apparent for 2028 (or later) and to that extent Ramaswamy is killing the competition.

Barring something completely unforeseen, Trump will be the nominee. People keep acting like there’s another shoe about to drop, but he’s been arrested 4 times now and has only gone up in the polls. Personally I’m not thrilled, but like it or not he’s going to be the guy.

Everyone else is running a shadow campaign to position themselves as the heir apparent for 2028 (or later) and to that extent Ramaswamy is killing the competition.

I really don't think so. I still have faith (admittedly maybe misguided) that most of the people of our country will not vote for this guy. Seriously, how could you at this point? What attracts people to a foul-mouthed, immoral narcissist (among many other faults)? Guess it's just another sign of the continued decline and dumbing down of America.

There are other good candidates in the party who are capable of winning the nomination. I still maintain that neither Trump nor Biden will be the nominees of their respective parties.

I really don't think so. I still have faith (admittedly maybe misguided) that most of the people of our country will not vote for this guy. Seriously, how could you at this point? What attracts people to a foul-mouthed, immoral narcissist (among many other faults)?

There are other good candidates in the party who are capable of winning the nomination. I still maintain that neither Trump nor Biden will be the nominees of their respective parties.
I hope you’re right. I thought the same thing a few months ago and was confident RDS could take trump down. His sputtering campaign + the fact that Trump is consistently polling at 50% or higher has made reality set in for me.

Same thing for democrats. If they are going to replace Biden someone has to start making moves, primaries are less than 6 months away. Unfortunately I think we’re ending up with a rematch of 2020.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT