ADVERTISEMENT

Grad Transfer C on Market

Certainty not trying to diminish the loss if it happens. He gets a good portion of his points on offensive rebounds. He can hit the jumper from about 15 ft foul line extended but is no automatic. Otherwise teams wouldn't give him that shot. He doesn't take baseline jumpers, has trouble finishing wth a larger defender down low because he can't play above the rim. Look, i love what he brings and he is important to this team but to insinuate his offensive game is irreplaceable is not accurate. I can certainly see a guy like Coleby contributing 10-12 ppg 6-8 rpg. Team as a whole would have to make up the difference on the boards while i can see his shots being dispersed to guys like powell/cale, desi. Also if Ish who is working on his offensive game vam progress as he has done year over year, can also chip in
Are you serious?

This late in the game you take what you can considering what we have, a 7' who will more than likely be red-shirted and another "center" who cant score one point or grab one board in a high school game. This kid is no Kareem but he seems like the best option if Angel leaves.

No need to be harsh on our incoming high school recruit. He is a pirate after all.

Certainty not trying to diminish the loss if it happens. He gets a good portion of his points on offensive rebounds. He can hit the jumper from about 15 ft foul line extended but is no automatic. Otherwise teams wouldn't give him that shot. He doesn't take baseline jumpers, has trouble finishing wth a larger defender down low because he can't play above the rim. Look, i love what he brings and he is important to this team but to insinuate his offensive game is irreplaceable is not accurate. I can certainly see a guy like Coleby contributing 10-12 ppg 6-8 rpg. Team as a whole would have to make up the difference on the boards while i can see his shots being dispersed to guys like powell/cale, desi. Also if Ish who is working on his offensive game vam progress as he has done year over year, can also chip in

Some of your reasons justify why Angel isn't being considered an NBA prospect but the man averaged 15 and13.5 last year as a junior and was an all-American nominee. So yes we're going to miss his offensive game, which includes extending possessions.

What I think you might be missing? Angel drew a double team every time he touched the ball. Without him, KC will be harassed and MP and Desi will have less space to operate.

Another thing not mentioned, Angel got their bigs in foul trouble. He might not be the world's best defender but he can eliminate them offensively through foul trouble.

Some of the shots that Angel took will not be dispersed bc our team won't get the oboard in the first place.

Coleby would be a very nice addition, imo. For one he might step in and be our best defender of 5's. And if he's able to return to his sophomore year form (injury) he'll def. lessen the blow of losing Angel but I don't think your giving Angel is full due.

Last edited:
He must have some talent. If he is such a project, I wonder why an elite school like Kansas would bring him on board in the first place. You would think they have their pick of players.

No need to be harsh on our incoming high school recruit. He is a pirate after all.

Not only that, he was taken out early in that state tournament game (possibly because of matchups against a small team and his limited action at Eastside in the last two years giving him less team knowledge). Given the few minutes (I'm guessing 4 or 5), 0 points and 0 boards wasn't unreasonable.

But your point should be more convincing.

10-12 and 6-8? Sorry, but those are truly delusional expectations.

Just look at his numbers sophomore year...
9.8ptsand 8.8rebounds per 30 minutes

Not far from what i said.
I'll say it again. You can't be serious that this kid can hold a candle to AD. HallBall10 has it right.
That being said, I hope we get him as we will need an experienced big if AD leaves but let's not get our expectations too high.

Not only that, he was taken out early in that state tournament game (possibly because of matchups against a small team and his limited action at Eastside in the last two years giving him less team knowledge). Given the few minutes (I'm guessing 4 or 5), 0 points and 0 boards wasn't unreasonable.

But your point should be more convincing.

Maybe you should reread my post once more.
My intent was not to convince anyone about anything. As a fan of SHU, no one should be mocking our own players. That was my point.

Yes it was a match-up issue why he didn't play much. He wasn't at East Side the last two years. I believe he just went back to East Side at the beginning of January and had to sit out 30 days before playing or something like that.

Maybe you should reread my post once more.
My intent was not to convince anyone about anything. As a fan of SHU, no one should be mocking our own players. That was my point.

Yes it was a match-up issue why he didn't play much. He wasn't at Eastside the last two years. I believe he just went back to Eastside at the beginning of January and had to sit out 30 days before playing or something like that.

No, we agree on everything. And I know he didn't play at East Side until the latter half of last season. I was only trying to express that your "no need to be harsh" statement should be enough reason for that other poster to not belittle a new SHU player. My details explaining the 0-0 stat of that game (I was there) are a minor additional reason.

(I see now, I should have said "Your point should be THE more convincing ONE TO THAT ORIGINAL POSTER".)

Last edited:
No, we agree on everything. And I know he didn't play at Eastside until the latter half of last season. I was only trying to express that your "no need to be harsh" statement should be enough reason for that other poster to not belittle a new SHU player. My details explaining the 0-0 stat of that game (I was there) are a minor additional reason.

(I see now, I should have said "Your point should be THE more convincing ONE TO THAT ORIGINAL POSTER".)

Ok

Let's get over ourselves. We don't have a status update on Angel and we have an open ship that we can use on a grad transfer for a position we have almost never had success with getting a major amount of both minutes and the ability to overcome match up problems.

Angel is our first priority and I hope he stays. There are a lot of people who are thinking what I am, which is unless there is a good reason for him to leave, there only seems to be a lot of bad reasons for him to leave.

I love the guy. He bleeds Pirate Blue. But even if he does come back. We have our PG, we have our 4's, I love Mike but he is not a 5. So having a guy who had good numbers at Ole Miss and then got hurt, could be definitely worth a flyer at this point.

Also he has VCU as his #1, so we don't even know. We should do what ever is necessary to get the best we can before the season. This can still be a very special year. We have a great group of guys. We just need to make sure we limit our weak links. And while I keep praying for Angel to come back, even if he does, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have another 5 off of the bench.

I can certainly see a guy like Coleby contributing 10-12 ppg 6-8 rpg. Team as a whole would have to make up the difference on the boards while i can see his shots being dispersed to guys like powell/cale, desi. Also if Ish who is working on his offensive game vam progress as he has done year over year, can also chip in

You have to be kidding me. Do you know who never averaged those numbers at Seton Hall? Luther Wright and Sam Dalembert. And you expect Coleby to get that? Based on what evidence?

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article151180987.html

"One source close to the situation told The Star that the 6-foot-9 Coleby is believed to be considering mid-majors Western Kentucky, Arkansas-Little Rock, Stephen F. Austin and Louisiana Monroe."

Article also mentions SMU, and cites that shuhoops ran an article that Seton Hall might be involved.

From what I've read, he wants to play heavy minutes in his senior year, which would matchup with the fact that he's looking mid-majors, but maybe just maybe if Angel is out the staff can convince him he'll be the #1 guy for the 5 spot.
I don't see this kid wanting to leave Kansas where he played sparingly to come to shu where he'll play sparingly if Angel stays, so he'll need the guarantee Angel is out.

You have to be kidding me. Do you know who never averaged those numbers at Seton Hall? Luther Wright and Sam Dalembert. And you expect Coleby to get that? Based on what evidence?
Both of them only played 2 years. Sam averaged 23 minutes a game and was not yet the player we know him as I the NBA. Luther who was there during my time there for the 2 years averaged 15 min. Both were raw players. Bad examples. Kelly Whitney, herb pope, heck even Darrell Mims averaged close to 8 and 6.

If Luther, Pope or Teague played on last year's team their #s would have rivaled Angel's.

Luther & Pope - possibly to probably

Teague - no way & I liked him, but his rebounding is laughable compared to Angel & Pope

Teague was having a great year until he went down with that hard fall and concussion. Scary to watch at Walsh. After that he came back strong but not what he was earlier

If Luther, Pope or Teague played on last year's team their #s would have rivaled Angel's.
No way!! Pope is the only one that could rebound in the same league as Angel. Teague could not rebound out of his area and his knee held him back. Luther did not have the same drive as Angel. Strongly disagree.

Teague also came back during the tougher Big East season, while he was putting up good numbers during the Nov/Dec schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT