ADVERTISEMENT

Gregg Popovich’s mid-game mic grab just another tired act from holier-than-thou coach

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

I got a good taste of the ornery, obnoxious Gregg Popovich in 2019, about a year before his impressive consecutive playoff streak was snapped, when I asked him about a defense that gave up 130 points to a terrible Knicks team.

Popovich, less than a month removed from his 70th birthday, slapped himself.

Really.

“Didn’t I just say it was pathetic? What would you like me to do? Slit my throat,” Popovich said as he planted a right hand on both cheeks.

OK, I responded, then what was specifically pathetic about the defense?

“No, I’m not going to give you a coaching clinic.”

Got it. Popovich doesn’t have time for no-nothing peons such as myself, or the sideline reporters tasked with gleaning information between quarters. He’s done about as much for that profession as Charissa Thompson. He’d prefer to slap himself than answer reasonable queries.

Which brings us to the subject of “class.” Popovich, ignoring multi-layered hypocrisy, brought it up Wednesday night in San Antonio, where he decided, audaciously, to grab a microphone and tell his home crowd to stop booing Kawhi Leonard.

“Have a little class. That’s not who we are. Knock off the booing,” Popovich said before walking away and waving his hands in the air, becoming almost a satirical version of an old man yelling about the integrity of his lawn.

The action, on its own, was silly and falls in line with Popovich’s holier-than-thou attitude. He’s insulated in his small-market bubble and believed that scolding fans about their (rightful) feelings was a good idea and would change minds because he’s friggin’ Gregg Popovich. Keep in mind that he wasn’t protecting a player on his own team, but rather an opponent who once sat out extended time for the Spurs and demanded a trade.

For decades these fans were sold that the Spurs culture, fostered by Popovich, is the best culture. So why wouldn’t they blame a player for bolting?

If Papa Bear Popovich were so concerned about San Antonio’s sentiment toward Leonard, he would’ve taken accountability for the circumstances surrounding the All-Star’s desire to leave. Or, maybe, he would have provided fans a proper explanation for that quadriceps injury that was either milked by Leonard or mishandled by the Spurs, depending on which side of the anonymously sourced stories are correct. Or, maybe, Popovich would’ve given fans insight into that 2019 meeting in Los Angeles between coach and star that apparently failed and couldn’t change Leonard’s trade demand.

Instead, we got nothing substantial from Popovich during or after the rift. To this day, there isn’t a clear understanding of why the forward desperately wanted to abandon the franchise that drafted him. But the fans who once loved Leonard — whose money helped make Popovich the highest-paid NBA coach in history — should stop booing because he said so.

To Popovich’s credit, he has stated in previous interviews that the booing of Leonard made him uncomfortable. And I would’ve ignored Wednesday’s microphone grab if it weren’t for Popovich’s insulting explanation after his scolding didn’t work.

“You don’t poke the bear,” he claimed in the postgame presser, after the fans ignored his words and kept booing.

Excuse me?

“Anybody that knows anything about sports knows you don’t poke the bear.”

Riiiiiiight.

So according to him, Popovich, who has for many years witnessed booing rain down on Leonard in San Antonio, decided Wednesday to grab the arena microphone and chastise his fanbase to mask a genius coaching tactic. How wonderfully self-serving after a bold move doesn’t go according to plan.

We’re not buying it. Popovich looked bad, and he decided not to own it. His “I’m smarter than everybody in the world” act worked for a long time because he had Tim Duncan and won a lot. In the past four playoff-less years, however, Popovich’s greatest coaching accomplishment was losing games for Victor Wembanyama.

As of Friday, the Spurs had the worst record in the West, a 10-game losing streak, and a tired act from their coach.

I get that Popovich aka Darkman rubs a lot of people the wrong way - same as, say, Bill Belichick - but this just comes across as sour grapes. Not saying the writer is without a point, but peel it back a layer or two. Writer was clearly nursing a resentment and is using this opportunity to pounce because what happened at the game somewhat fits a coherent narrative. This writer can't hide the fact that they have a grudge, and now he's trying to cash in. Hit pieces work better when they are coming from someone who is adept at hiding their bias. The Spurs are really not good, but this writer doesn't fool me. Pathetic.

Pop is Pop, always been an old curmudgeon even when he was younger, LOL. But the whole display was a bit much. You felt so compelled to take the microphone during free throws to admonish the crowd for booing? Please. Should've been given a technical.

Pop is Pop, always been an old curmudgeon even when he was younger, LOL. But the whole display was a bit much. You felt so compelled to take the microphone during free throws to admonish the crowd for booing? Please. Should've been given a technical.
Wackjob or should I say wokejob. But give the devil his due, he is a great coach.

Wackjob or should I say wokejob. But give the devil his due, he is a great coach.
Yes he is a great coach but will his authoritarian style of coaching still produce the same results it had in the past given what players will accept from their coaches today.

I got a good taste of the ornery, obnoxious Gregg Popovich in 2019, about a year before his impressive consecutive playoff streak was snapped, when I asked him about a defense that gave up 130 points to a terrible Knicks team.

Popovich, less than a month removed from his 70th birthday, slapped himself.

Really.

“Didn’t I just say it was pathetic? What would you like me to do? Slit my throat,” Popovich said as he planted a right hand on both cheeks.

OK, I responded, then what was specifically pathetic about the defense?

“No, I’m not going to give you a coaching clinic.”

Got it. Popovich doesn’t have time for no-nothing peons such as myself, or the sideline reporters tasked with gleaning information between quarters. He’s done about as much for that profession as Charissa Thompson. He’d prefer to slap himself than answer reasonable queries.

Which brings us to the subject of “class.” Popovich, ignoring multi-layered hypocrisy, brought it up Wednesday night in San Antonio, where he decided, audaciously, to grab a microphone and tell his home crowd to stop booing Kawhi Leonard.

“Have a little class. That’s not who we are. Knock off the booing,” Popovich said before walking away and waving his hands in the air, becoming almost a satirical version of an old man yelling about the integrity of his lawn.

The action, on its own, was silly and falls in line with Popovich’s holier-than-thou attitude. He’s insulated in his small-market bubble and believed that scolding fans about their (rightful) feelings was a good idea and would change minds because he’s friggin’ Gregg Popovich. Keep in mind that he wasn’t protecting a player on his own team, but rather an opponent who once sat out extended time for the Spurs and demanded a trade.

For decades these fans were sold that the Spurs culture, fostered by Popovich, is the best culture. So why wouldn’t they blame a player for bolting?

If Papa Bear Popovich were so concerned about San Antonio’s sentiment toward Leonard, he would’ve taken accountability for the circumstances surrounding the All-Star’s desire to leave. Or, maybe, he would have provided fans a proper explanation for that quadriceps injury that was either milked by Leonard or mishandled by the Spurs, depending on which side of the anonymously sourced stories are correct. Or, maybe, Popovich would’ve given fans insight into that 2019 meeting in Los Angeles between coach and star that apparently failed and couldn’t change Leonard’s trade demand.

Instead, we got nothing substantial from Popovich during or after the rift. To this day, there isn’t a clear understanding of why the forward desperately wanted to abandon the franchise that drafted him. But the fans who once loved Leonard — whose money helped make Popovich the highest-paid NBA coach in history — should stop booing because he said so.

To Popovich’s credit, he has stated in previous interviews that the booing of Leonard made him uncomfortable. And I would’ve ignored Wednesday’s microphone grab if it weren’t for Popovich’s insulting explanation after his scolding didn’t work.

“You don’t poke the bear,” he claimed in the postgame presser, after the fans ignored his words and kept booing.

Excuse me?

“Anybody that knows anything about sports knows you don’t poke the bear.”

Riiiiiiight.

So according to him, Popovich, who has for many years witnessed booing rain down on Leonard in San Antonio, decided Wednesday to grab the arena microphone and chastise his fanbase to mask a genius coaching tactic. How wonderfully self-serving after a bold move doesn’t go according to plan.

We’re not buying it. Popovich looked bad, and he decided not to own it. His “I’m smarter than everybody in the world” act worked for a long time because he had Tim Duncan and won a lot. In the past four playoff-less years, however, Popovich’s greatest coaching accomplishment was losing games for Victor Wembanyama.

As of Friday, the Spurs had the worst record in the West, a 10-game losing streak, and a tired act from their coach.
Pop knows everything. He’s a jerk too often.

Yes he is a great coach but will his authoritarian style of coaching still produce the same results it had in the past given what players will accept from their coaches today.
He’s now 74. He’s had losing years for 5 consecutive seasons now and this year will be the same as they are 3-13. They last finished .500 or better in 2018-19. Woof.

But he signed a 5-year extension this summer so he’s there.

Shocked this wasn't a Mushnick column.
When i saw the nyp i figured it was him so i didnt read it. And now that i know it was someone else i wont read it cause all the moaning the post writers have done for decades has never been of interest to me.

Reactions: TheHall87
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT