ADVERTISEMENT

Griffin, Ewing, Hurley....

I'm very mixed about Sha. Coming into this season it was my hope that we would have a winning record, make the tournament, and Willard would cash out to ease the transition to Sha. That obviously did not happen. I would like nothing more than for Sha to be the coach for the next 20 years, but who really knows if he is ready. My only hope is that Lyons is as astute with as keen an eye as many here claim he is. I have said before that you cannot judge an assistant by the failure of the head coach and I stand by that, but you certainly can't assign him credit either. If our coaching search is going to be 2006 level dire, then you might as well roll the dice. For some reason I weirdly trust Lyons here. Even though he has been overly loyal to Willard, he has also picked Bozzella out of the rough with the knowledge that he could get the job done. If Sha has it, I feel like Lyons knows.

Just spitballing here but hypothetically is there any chance Boyle would come as the lead assistant under Coach Sha? That would make the situation much more palatable. I'm assuming that the entire staff would be cleaned out as they are really not top flight. I think Boyle would consider leaving High School for the opportunity to be a lead assistant to his former player, and he has contacts up and down the coast. If they succeed he could get his own job in a few years.

Of course if the buyout is really 2.5 million none of this matters and we are all f'ed unless JimmyD decides he wants a new coach.

Wouldn't it be nice if we knew what the real terms of the Willard contract are , including the terms of his buyout , so that we could put all the BS , speculation , rumors etc behind us and our comments could be based on what we know to be true.

Love Sha but just cant have anyone from this staff as our HC. Imagine we had 2 starting guards who averaged over 30 minutes a game transfer within 2? months of each other. Unheard of. Icant trust any of these coaches and because SHA is an ALUM I feel bad but sorry the program is bigger than any one person. Something happened with the chemistry odf this team and ill leave it at that. Wouldn't ming Griffin and I think Ewing would make a huge initial splash. Who knows maybe we get lucky. We cant hire the usual mid major like TOOLE or the rest. You all know the names. I like Hurley but my friend Turner GILL told me as I mentioned last night that Bobby Hurley would never come here and doubts Danny would either. Although a slight chance. I would never put the hiring in the hands of the people who have anything at all to do with the Athletic Dept. NO WAY. I swear I would find the schools counsel and have them talk to PJ Mark Bryant ARTURAS KARNISOVAS ETC. Also I know many dislike Dick Vitale but what the hell I would ask his opinion cant hurt. Me I would take back AMAKER in a second. He would come in here and out recruit Mullin and most of the BEC. But we all know that may not happen. Although heard a rumor that AMAKER is getting a little tired of the IVY LEAGUE and may want to go back to a higher level. His wife could be the problem. He apologized for leaving us but look so many other coaches do. BOBBY HURLEY as an example with Buffalo. Just cant believe we are going nto another season with Willard. Even an NJIT who is builing a program would not stand for this. AND NO JIM ENGLES. Doing a wonderful job but not made for SHU. Today was the first time I saw SHU in the paper in months and that was because of GIBBS LEAVING. I see the Prep I there more. Horrible situation.

Give it up with Amaker, he's not coming back, and he wouldn't "outrecruit...most of the BEC." That was the first time I made it through one of these rambling, incoherent posts, and I truly am dumber for having read it.

I would take Jim Engles in a second. Not only is he a good coach, but he'd drive the team bus if Seton Hall is so strapped for cash that they can't afford a regular bus driver.

Reactions: SHUSource
DONNIE BASEBALL you want to disagree with me fine. BUT im not some idiot like some on here so SCREW YOU TOUGH GUY.

listen DONNIE BASEBALL you want to disagree with any opinions I have fine. all I know is that Amaker had a top 5 recruiting class in his second year and by his third year took us to the sweet 16 and almost the elite 8. going into year 4 we were ranked anywhere from number 1 in the country to number 14 pre season. then it fell apart due t mr. Griffen. Basketball Times had us as a pre season number 1 . Still remember the cover with Darius Lane . If you have a better candidate great. I just don't like this BS of putting people down. Those who do usually are your typical computer tough guys. That's why you will never ever see me say a bad word about our players and with Willard of course I will give my feelings but will never attack him personally. That's why when someone like you cant just give your opinion about my dopey posts and I know most are and feel the need to start some sarcastic bullshit well im sorry not happenng with me. Not trying to be tough guy over the computer but since I have no idea who you are have no other choice. Just the way I am. Always try to be nice to everyone here and in general so when someone becomes sarcastic and tries to be tough with me sorry aint gonna happen. especially over some dopey basketball post.

And to answer your Question DONNIE BASEBALL if I am arguing with myself. NO. I am telling you to your face best I can over this computer. Hopefully ill see you at a game and we can have a nice chat.

If the administration fires Willard next year and hires Pat Ewing we might as well just shut the whole program down.

Same with Griffin for that matter. Hiring a guy like Griffin or Ewing says to me "we are shutting down men's basketball."

Hobbs is a joke and needs to be as far away from the university as possible when interviews take place.

Lyons has shown that he can make some good coaching hires, so who knows what he comes up with.

Hobbs, Hank and Lyons are a big part of the problem at Seton Hall.

Let me throw another name into the hopper that's could be called thinking outside the box in Ed Pickney. He is being "recruited" by Mullin to be the third assistant at SJU and Pickney and Mullin are friends. He was an assistant at Nova and got high marks for his recruiting abilities , has been an assistant in the NBA with the Timberwolves and is in his first year as an assistant with the Bulls. What I'm trying to suggest is that when we look for our next coach we really have to look outside the box .

[QUOTE="sportsfantatic44, post: 58014, member: 1220"]Does anyone have any faith that this administration is going to get the next coaching hire right? I don't.[/QUOTE]

Of course not. What would lead anyone to believe that the next time SHU will get it right, other than the "Law of Averages"

Tom K

listen DONNIE BASEBALL you want to disagree with any opinions I have fine. all I know is that Amaker had a top 5 recruiting class in his second year and by his third year took us to the sweet 16 and almost the elite 8. going into year 4 we were ranked anywhere from number 1 in the country to number 14 pre season. then it fell apart due t mr. Griffen. Basketball Times had us as a pre season number 1 . Still remember the cover with Darius Lane . If you have a better candidate great. I just don't like this BS of putting people down. Those who do usually are your typical computer tough guys. That's why you will never ever see me say a bad word about our players and with Willard of course I will give my feelings but will never attack him personally. That's why when someone like you cant just give your opinion about my dopey posts and I know most are and feel the need to start some sarcastic bullshit well im sorry not happenng with me. Not trying to be tough guy over the computer but since I have no idea who you are have no other choice. Just the way I am. Always try to be nice to everyone here and in general so when someone becomes sarcastic and tries to be tough with me sorry aint gonna happen. especially over some dopey basketball post.

sorry about that last post disregard. Anyway if Dan Hurley is out of the mix I still like Joe Dooley should have been picked over Willard and how about Orlando Antiqua anyway we could get him out of South Florida?

Reactions: potbelly and SPK145
sorry about that last post disregard. Anyway if Dan Hurley is out of the mix I still like Joe Dooley should have been picked over Willard and how about Orlando Antiqua anyway we could get him out of South Florida?
One must wonder about Dan Hurley at this time . Why was his brother Bob named head coach at ASU and not him, in fact it seems that he was not even considered. Is there something wrong there that we are not aware of? Is there some baggage that we are not aware of. Just wondering.

One must wonder about Dan Hurley at this time . Why was his brother Bob named head coach at ASU and not him, in fact it seems that he was not even considered. Is there something wrong there that we are not aware of? Is there some baggage that we are not aware of. Just wondering.

I think it just comes down to Bobby has the sexier name and he was a hot candidate at the moment. He leveraged his success into a big time job. Danny, who would not be my first choice here and by most accounts does not want to come, is more comfortable at Rhode Island and still has more to prove there. Rhode Island is also a higher level job than Buffalo so he has more incentive to stick it out there.

what are you talking about? Bobby Hurley is the bigger name and his team actually made the tourney.

I wouldn't mind either of those.

There's nothing we're not aware of. Bobby was a classic "flavor of the month," the kid we see every year in the NCAA tournament. He may well turn out to be a very good coach, but to me, Danny has the much larger and more substantial body of work, having rebuilt two train wrecks. Bobby has coached for two seasons, and took over a UB program that won 20 games the season before Witherspoon (the previous coach) was fired. He could just have been the right guy in the right place at the right time - like a Mike Rice or any of the other flavors of the month who then go on to flop when they then land a big job - or he could go on to be a very good coach. There just isn't enough data yet. Danny has a much deeper resume at this point.

And to answer your Question DONNIE BASEBALL if I am arguing with myself. NO. I am telling you to your face best I can over this computer. Hopefully ill see you at a game and we can have a nice chat.

LOL who is the internet tough guy? Take it easy, you're frothing at the mouth. You won't see me at any games until Willard is fired.

I don't care what Amaker did FIFTEEN years ago, he's not coming back. "Almost Elite 8" is Sweet Sixteen. And the collapse was all on the coach, just like it's all on this coach. You don't get to play revisionist historian and act like Lawrence Tierney all in the same post.

Reactions: SHUSource
My choices to consider off top of my head, in no particular order:

My top 2:
Danny Hurley
Joe Dooley

Others to consider:
Orlando Antiqua (may depend on how USF does this season)
Adrian Griffin (but only if willing to commit to big time recruiters like SJU did)
Shaheen Holloway (may be too close to current program stink)
Tim Cluess (do we want another Iona guy)

Unknowns at this time:
Assistant at top program (only coach we hired that worked in last 20 years (Amaker) came this way)
Young coach at lower level (we have missed with these consistently over the years)

I'm not sure what people see in Joe Dooley. Guy was bad at East Carolina, and seems to have Florida Gulf Coast (a team that plays in one of the worst leagues in Division I) heading backwards.

My choices to consider off top of my head, in no particular order:

My top 2:
Danny Hurley
Joe Dooley

Others to consider:
Orlando Antiqua (may depend on how USF does this season)
Adrian Griffin (but only if willing to commit to big time recruiters like SJU did)
Shaheen Holloway (may be too close to current program stink)
Tim Cluess (do we want another Iona guy)

Unknowns at this time:
Assistant at top program (only coach we hired that worked in last 20 years (Amaker) came this way)
Young coach at lower level (we have missed with these consistently over the years)

I don't know much about Joe Dooley, except that he's a local yokel. What are his qualifications?
And if Joe Dooley is in the mix, why not Mike Malone? I'm leaving Kerry Keating out of it, because he has not done well at Santa Clara.

Did I ever actually say it was $1.4/$850? That's what I heard and supposed it was but many others say it is much higher, like over $3.5 now and almost $2.5 after next season, which is another beyond RIDICULOUS buyout!!! If the latter numbers are correct, he's not going anywhere after next year either!!

Yes, those were your numbers. As you probably realize, I have been tracking this information pretty steadily. Anyway, thanks for the updated number.

So will it be fair for us to quote $2.5 million going forward? (I am assuming the ship has sailed on $3.5)

. He could just have been the right guy in the right place at the right time - like a Mike Rice or any of the other flavors of the month who then go on to flop when they then land a big job - or he could go on to be a very good coach. There just isn't enough data yet. Danny has a much deeper resume at this point.

Mike Rice was not a flavor of the month coach. He built Robert Morris into a winner. He had Rutgers playing much better basketball as well and had them on the rise. Were his teams better than the previous coach? YES. Were his teams better than the present coach? YES. Mike Rice's ability to coach and make a team better is not in question. His demeanor and treatment of his players were the issue.

Donnie baseball I never said AMAKER was coming . Said I would love to have him back but it is not possible. His wife loves Massachusetts and her job at Harvard to much. And don't tell me what I can or can not do. you started this shit with me and ill finish it. Ive said many times I never say a bad word about anyone on here. If a player doesn't play well ill barely comment. With Willard I don't say a bad word . other than what everyone else is saying ... HAS to go. You come off as a real wise ass and you can do it with others me I don't take shit from you. Write what u want and ill find out but im done with this . Arguing back and forth with someone I don't know. hopefully ill get to meet u real soon and we can discuss SHU like men . not sissies behind a keyboard. so respond all you want. your not worth my time.

Mike Rice was not a flavor of the month coach. He built Robert Morris into a winner. He had Rutgers playing much better basketball as well and had them on the rise. Were his teams better than the previous coach? YES. Were his teams better than the present coach? YES. Mike Rice's ability to coach and make a team better is not in question. His demeanor and treatment of his players were the issue.
It's all part of coaching, and he fell flat on his face on the bigger stage. His resume coming into Rutgers was deeper than Bobby Hurley's at UB, but still, the hype was all based on playing Villanova tough in 15 vs. 2 game. Not even winning, but playing tough. Styles and methods do not always translate well from an NEC to a Big East, and that was clearly the case with him. That would also give me serious pause about Cluess at Iona, who has a very solid career record, but would fail, in my opinion, at a top level gig.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
Donnie baseball I never said AMAKER was coming . Said I would love to have him back but it is not possible. His wife loves Massachusetts and her job at Harvard to much. And don't tell me what I can or can not do. you started this shit with me and ill finish it. Ive said many times I never say a bad word about anyone on here. If a player doesn't play well ill barely comment. With Willard I don't say a bad word . other than what everyone else is saying ... HAS to go. You come off as a real wise ass and you can do it with others me I don't take shit from you. Write what u want and ill find out but im done with this . Arguing back and forth with someone I don't know. hopefully ill get to meet u real soon and we can discuss SHU like men . not sissies behind a keyboard. so respond all you want. your not worth my time.

Couldn't read it. Too jumbled. Something about a veiled threat?

It's all part of coaching, and he fell flat on his face on the bigger stage. His resume coming into Rutgers was deeper than Bobby Hurley's at UB, but still, the hype was all based on playing Villanova tough in 15 vs. 2 game. Not even winning, but playing tough. Styles and methods do not always translate well from an NEC to a Big East, and that was clearly the case with him. That would also give me serious pause about Cluess at Iona, who has a very solid career record, but would fail, in my opinion, at a top level gig.
Perhaps, but we're talking about SHU here so irrelevant

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT