ADVERTISEMENT

Harper

I have no ill will toward Harper. I wish him the best. Appears to be a good kid from a supportive family. But RU fan base expectations are getting way out of hand. Final Four? If that really is their expectation then they are setting themselves up for disappointment.

I have no ill will toward Harper. I wish him the best. Appears to be a good kid from a supportive family. But RU fan base expectations are getting way out of hand. Final Four? If that really is their expectation then they are setting themselves up for disappointment.
Typically, freshman who rank numbers 2 and 3 in their recruiting class don't stay in college more than a year. NIL money may convince these two to hang around longer. I'm guessing that Ace and Harper are budget busters, thus placing a lot of pressure on them to produce in year one.

RU will likely do well next season, but tourney runs are more likely when you have age and experience. This is a very exciting time for RU, however expectations need to be tempered.

No one can say they know what happened for certain - everything is speculation or secondhand information. I find it highly unlikely the Harper camp disclosed every offer they received to anyone on this thread.

Personally, I think it's naive to think he didn't get a BAG to go to RU, and I think it's equally naive to think his relationship with the staff wasn't a major factor in his decision.

Typically, freshman who rank numbers 2 and 3 in their recruiting class don't stay in college more than a year. NIL money may convince these two to hang around longer. I'm guessing that Ace and Harper are budget busters, thus placing a lot of pressure on them to produce in year one.

RU will likely do well next season, but tourney runs are more likely when you have age and experience. This is a very exciting time for RU, however expectations need to be tempered.
Didn’t you say that these two guys would never actually play for Rutgers?

I was talking about Ace. Yes, I still feel he may never register for classes. Harper will play at least one year.
May I ask why you feel that way? He signed his national letter of intent and I can only imagine is going to make a boatload of money. Why wouldn’t he attend?

Look how well it worked out for Mike Rosario
My point exactly
lol stop.

Wait—you’re seriously bringing up that 2008 class as if that has anything to do with this class at all?

Ya know, back in the 50’s SHU had this guy Walter Dukes….🤣
No im not..you “seriously” can’t read the thread I am responding to shusa…referencing their 2008 class which was ranked around 10 nationally if I remember

That was when they were ATROCIOUS…so to me is this better..of course..it’s not totally unheard of as they are in a much much better position now and have had periods of solid recruiting in the past

Look, I'm happy for Pikiell, in the same way you guys are at least quasi happy for Hurley's success. But I have to ask myself, what the heck is the NIL situation in New Brunswick? They must be sitting on one hell of a bag of cash.
Look, I'm happy for Pikiell, in the same way you guys are at least quasi happy for Hurley's success. But I have to ask myself, what the heck is the NIL situation in New Brunswick? They must be sitting on one hell of a bag of cash.
Think Home Depot.

• Wow
Reactions: CL82

Presume they are projected to be top five picks in the 2025 draft.

If so, their rookie contracts will start north of at least $8 million annually and they'll start the clock ticking towards their eventual big money extension.

If it's top 10, the rookie scale deal will start at around $5.5 million (or more) per.

Of course they got bags from RU. They’re top guys. They “deserve” it in todays eco system. Good for RU stepping up to get them. They’ll both go to the NBA and then Rutgers will have a legit NBA pipeline they can point to in future recruiting. Before, they were like us where we had some fringe guys.

I think a rising tide floats all boats. Hopefully we can step up to keep it competitive.

Reactions: PMB Pirate
My point exactly

No im not..you “seriously” can’t read the thread I am responding to shusa…referencing their 2008 class which was ranked around 10 nationally if I remember

That was when they were ATROCIOUS…so to me is this better..of course..it’s not totally unheard of as they are in a much much better position now and have had periods of solid recruiting in the past
Ok—the class of Rosario and Echenique was nowhere remotely close to 10th nationally. Not even top 25. Please do your homework.

The 2011 class was better than that and not even top 20.

But neither of those classes has any bearing whatsoever on today’s recruiting.

If so Baylor would have no kids enrolling for fear of getting shot.

Don’t make up stuff to support your feckless arguments.

Reactions: shields
Ok—the class of Rosario and Echenique was nowhere remotely close to 10th nationally. Not even top 25. Please do your homework.

The 2011 class was better than that and not even top 20.

But neither of those classes has any bearing whatsoever on today’s recruiting.

If so Baylor would have no kids enrolling for fear of getting shot.

Don’t make up stuff to support your feckless arguments.
that isn’t my point at all..read better

24/7 has the 2008 class ranked 14th..regardless..Rosario and Echinique were STUDS and a big deal at the time

I look at it like this:

If SHU had Rutgers money back during the Louis King/Trevon Duval/Kyle Anderson courtings (among others), SHU would have had them.

So this is all possible because Rutgers can pay big, big money.

It is what it is
We have been told on the trove dozens of times we had KA signed sealed and delivered until UCLA paid him and got the family some goodies

How is this THAT much different? Are you saying if we had money back than to “cheat” we’d got them? Isn’t that obvious?

If not how is losing KA to UCLA because of money back then different from losing these guys because of money right now? Other than the money they got is more

Lost in all this is that if they can afford two of the top three recruits in the class, than their football program has absolutely no excuse whatsoever for the extremely, thoroughly mediocre product they put on the field. I see all these excuses as to why their football program can’t take the next step and move on from 6-6 bowl games(that, quite frankly, they are lucky to even be in), which are an embarrassment to college athletics. Well, those excuses don’t fly if they are able to put up more dough to get players that even other B1G schools couldn’t get.

Lost in all this is that if they can afford two of the top three recruits in the class, than their football program has absolutely no excuse whatsoever for the extremely, thoroughly mediocre product they put on the field. I see all these excuses as to why their football program can’t take the next step and move on from 6-6 bowl games(that, quite frankly, they are lucky to even be in), which are an embarrassment to college athletics. Well, those excuses don’t fly if they are able to put up more dough to get players that even other B1G schools couldn’t get.
The donors who are funding basketball NIL money are not doing so for football.

The donors who are funding basketball NIL money are not doing so for football.
Then they are fools, because football is always going to create significantly more revenue. There is far more upside there in terms of profit. Might as well focus on the football program, you know, since the taxpayers of New Jersey have no choice but to support it with their hard earned money.

What if the NIL donors want to give the big $ to basketball and not football?

Reactions: shields
Then they are fools, because football is always going to create significantly more revenue. There is far more upside there in terms of profit. Might as well focus on the football program, you know, since the taxpayers of New Jersey have no choice but to support it with their hard earned money.
What if they are basketball fan,? As for you tax $, it's about .34 cents a year you are paying for RU Athletics.

What if the NIL donors want to give the big $ to basketball and not football?
I think they are telling you that the football program is not worth spending the big money and by throwing money into 1and2 players in baskets , you can catch lightning in a bottle .Be carefully with one and done players though .

What if they are basketball fan,? As for you tax $, it's about .34 cents a year you are paying for RU Athletics.
I don’t live in New Jersey, so mercifully I am not paying for such mediocrity. I just feel bad for the tax payers of the good state who have to fund such a poor and unfruitful yield. One would hope that if you are taking tax payer money, then it would produce a good product. Unfortunately, that is far from the case.

that isn’t my point at all..read better

24/7 has the 2008 class ranked 14th..regardless..Rosario and Echinique were STUDS and a big deal at the time
Rosario was 35th and Echinique was 61. Very good players at the time, but it was only those two

The other two in that class were kids that I don’t know if they even saw the floor at Rutgers. They were Patrick Jackson at 164 and Christian Morris at 198.

Not exactly a top 14 class. Sorry but you’re misinformed because that doesn’t add up.

As for your other comment — I’m saying that if SHU had the “offers” the other kids got; ie if all other things were equal, then yeah SHU gets them.

In this day and age, it’s paying players.

But my point is neither Harper nor Bailey could give a rat’s a** what Rutgers recruiting class was back in 2008.

Rosario was 35th and Echinique was 61. Very good players at the time, but it was only those two

The other two in that class were kids that I don’t know if they even saw the floor at Rutgers. They were Patrick Jackson at 164 and Christian Morris at 198.

Not exactly a top 14 class. Sorry but you’re misinformed because that doesn’t add up.

As for your other comment — I’m saying that if SHU had the “offers” the other kids got; ie if all other things were equal, then yeah SHU gets them.

In this day and age, it’s paying players.

But my point is neither Harper nor Bailey could give a rat’s a** what Rutgers recruiting class was back in 2008.

Again…not my point at all

Again…not my point at all
see the composite—I pointed out the other two recruits and the corresponding rankings. But it isn’t correct. It never was considered a top 15 back then. I remember.

In SHU’s 2014 stellar class, Whitehead was #10, Delgado #43 and Carrington #154–all higher than any of Rutgers in 2008 plus Desi, Ish and Nzei all rated low—and the composite for SHU is 16 nationally.

The 247 site is not working properly.

But this is what you said:

Rutgers has recruited well in the past..their 2008 class was a stud class..Sanders/Mack/Cliff was a big recruit

Is this better..yes..but they’ve also had much more success recently and have a consistent head coach

Much more success recently? 2008 a stud class?

SHU has had more success recently considering he number of NCAA appearances the last 7-8 years and they had a more recent better recruiting class.

Dude you’re all over the place and like I said: recruited well in the past????

see the composite—I pointed out the other two recruits and the corresponding rankings. But it isn’t correct. It never was considered a top 15 back then. I remember.

In SHU’s 2014 stellar class, Whitehead was #10, Delgado #43 and Carrington #154–all higher than any of Rutgers in 2008 plus Desi, Ish and Nzei all rated low—and the composite for SHU is 16 nationally.

The 247 site is not working properly.

But this is what you said:

Rutgers has recruited well in the past..their 2008 class was a stud class..Sanders/Mack/Cliff was a big recruit

Is this better..yes..but they’ve also had much more success recently and have a consistent head coach

Much more success recently? 2008 a stud class?

SHU has had more success recently considering he number of NCAA appearances the last 7-8 years and they had a more recent better recruiting class.

Dude you’re all over the place and like I said: recruited well in the past????
You’re right. Thanks

They were out bid with big adidas money .

valencia-spain-april-25-2023-600nw-2293213071.jpg
Lol. You're funny Fred.

They were out bid with big adidas money .

valencia-spain-april-25-2023-600nw-2293213071.jpg
That's actually not true. Word is that a couple of RU alums working for Goldman Sachs put up the bucks. NIL is still a problem since we didn't have enough to retain Cam Spencer. Not sure if the same was true for Mulcahy or if he felt he didn't fit the more up tempo that Pike planned to use this season.

That's actually not true. Word is that a couple of RU alums working for Goldman Sachs put up the bucks. NIL is still a problem since we didn't have enough to retain Cam Spencer. Not sure if the same was true for Mulcahy or if he felt he didn't fit the more up tempo that Pike planned to use this season.
Wish we had a Goldman Sachs alum who’s into SHU basketball, wait…

I kid, Michael Nzei is a fantastic alum but not quite in the position to throw 6-7 figures at NIL. Certainly does us proud and is at most games in support.

I think they are telling you that the football program is not worth spending the big money and by throwing money into 1and2 players in baskets , you can catch lightning in a bottle .Be carefully with one and done players though .
Not that they think it's not worth it, but if you have finite resources, you apply them where they'll have the biggest, most immediate impact. Much easier to bankroll a handful of stud bball players than it is to cover the number of football players it takes to make the same impact. Of course $ is not the ONLY factor, even if it is the main one.

I think those who would donate more to football are in "Show me" mode right now. Just like they were for hoops. More football money will come in when that program shows steady progress like hoops has. Things are already heading in that direction.

Last edited:
It's not like they personally are going to see a return on that they're spending, regardless of sport. They're just trying to buy a winning team for the school they support and it's a heck of a lot cheaper to buy a winning basketball team than a winning football team.

Reactions: ScarletNut
It's not like they personally are going to see a return on that they're spending, regardless of sport. They're just trying to buy a winning team for the school they support and it's a heck of a lot cheaper to buy a winning basketball team than a winning football team.
No, but the university will always make much more money from football. In that sense, they are seeing a return on the investment because the school will make a lot more money and create revenue from a successful football team. At the end of the day, an alum/investor is going to be happy with the school making more money, even if it’s not going back into their own pocket.

Reactions: ScarletNut
No, but the university will always make much more money from football. In that sense, they are seeing a return on the investment because the school will make a lot more money and create revenue from a successful football team. At the end of the day, an alum/investor is going to be happy with the school making more money, even if it’s not going back into their own pocket.
Perhaps this person can't afford to bankroll a championship contending football team. The cost of a championship contending basketball team would barely field a mediocre football team, if that.

Would you rather see SHU become a basketball powerhouse/national title contender or start a football program and be mediocre in both but make more money?

(Hypothetically of course because SHU would only lose money in starting a football program)

Perhaps this person can't afford to bankroll a championship contending football team. The cost of a championship contending basketball team would barely field a mediocre football team, if that.

Would you rather see SHU become a basketball powerhouse/national title contender or start a football program and be mediocre in both but make more money?

(Hypothetically of course because SHU would only lose money in starting a football program)
The mistake you are making is narrowing this down to the choice of just one or a few people. Football is, by far, the larger draw. We know this. That’s how The Big East got into it’s current, and ongoing, situation.

More people are going to be contributing to that football team. Overall, it’s not going to be even close. There’s no two ways about it. Short of contributing a hundred thousand dollars, the inclination of just one or a few people are not going to make a difference in that equation. They fill that football stadium. Let’s not kid ourselves, that’s where the bulk of donor and NIL is going to - the football program.

The same would be true with Seton Hall if we had a long running football program. Most of the donor and NIL money would be going there. It would most certainly be the main priority if, indeed, we had an established football program. So it doesn’t matter what you or my personal choice would be on where to give our personal money.

Now, back to my original point. If the vast majority of the money is going to football, and they can still afford two of the top three recruits in basketball, then they really have no excuse to have such a thoroughly mediocre football program that can’t take the next step. They may not exactly be a doormat in conference football anymore, but they’re not much better off. My conclusion: they just have a really poor football program that is eating up New Jersey tax payer money.

That’s just my two cents.

The mistake you are making is narrowing this down to the choice of just one or a few people. Football is, by far, the larger draw. We know this. That’s how The Big East got into it’s current, and ongoing, situation.

More people are going to be contributing to that football team. Overall, it’s not going to be even close. There’s no two ways about it. Short of contributing a hundred thousand dollars, the inclination of just one or a few people are not going to make a difference in that equation. They fill that football stadium. Let’s not kid ourselves, that’s where the bulk of donor and NIL is going to - the football program.

The same would be true with Seton Hall if we had a long running football program. Most of the donor and NIL money would be going there. It would most certainly be the main priority if, indeed, we had an established football program. So it doesn’t matter what you or my personal choice would be on where to give our personal money.

Now, back to my original point. If the vast majority of the money is going to football, and they can still afford two of the top three recruits in basketball, then they really have no excuse to have such a thoroughly mediocre football program that can’t take the next step. They may not exactly be a doormat in conference football anymore, but they’re not much better off. My conclusion: they just have a really poor football program that is eating up New Jersey tax payer money.

That’s just my two cents.
Ah, I guess my mistake was thinking you were talking about RU's current situation. This isn't the collective of RU donors all choosing to support basketball over football, it's 1 guy saying "I can't make a difference by myself in football but I can in basketball"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT