ADVERTISEMENT

Henry (Hank) F. D’Alessandro ′85, New Chair of the Board of Regents

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Friday, October 6th, 2023

By University Relations

The Board of Regents elected Henry (Hank) F. D’Alessandro ′85 to serve as its next Chair. He officially began his term at the start of the new fiscal year, succeeding Chair Kevin H. Marino, Esq. ′84.

Mr. D’Alessandro is managing director of Morgan Stanley and is vice chairman of Morgan Stanley’s North America Private Credit business, where he serves on the Investment Committee and is a senior advisor of the Credit Partners opportunistic credit strategy. He serves on several other Investment Committees spanning global corporate and real estate investment strategies. He is a member of Morgan Stanley’s Private Credit and Equity Executive Committee.

Mr. D’Alessandro has more than 31 years of private credit investing and leveraged finance experience. Prior to his current role, Mr. D’Alessandro was vice chairman of North American Leveraged and Acquisition Finance and head of U.S. Financial Sponsor Leveraged Finance at Morgan Stanley. Before joining Morgan Stanley, he was a vice president at Chase Securities, Inc. and an audit manager at KPMG Peat Marwick.

Mr. D’Alessandro earned a B.S., magna cum laude, in accounting from Seton Hall and an M.B.A. from Cornell University’s S.C. Johnson School of Graduate Management. He has served on the Board of Regents in various capacities since 2008, most recently as vice chair since 2020. Mr. D’Alessandro is a member of the Board of Trustees of Seton Hall University and Oak Knoll School of the Holy Child. He is a member of the Board of Directors of Strata Worldwide and the New York Men’s Leadership Forum.

"I am honored to serve Seton Hall as Chair of the Board of Regents," Mr. D’Alessandro said. "I know firsthand the power of a Seton Hall education and the value of Seton Hall’s Catholic educational mission – a power and a value that has risen dramatically under the University’s consummate leadership over the last decade and, in particular, through the leadership of Kevin H. Marino, who preceded me in this role."

He continued, "Amidst a national decline in collegiate enrollment of more than 15 percent over the last 10 years, Seton Hall’s enrollment has grown by 19 percent while increasing its academic profile and substantially growing its scholarship budget to ensure its identity as a university of opportunity that fosters the next generation of great minds."

He concluded, "Our graduates’ employment rate is 98.5 percent and independent research shows we rank in the top 10 percent nationally for return on investment. Last year, in U.S. News and World Report, our Law School achieved its highest rank ever; our endowment is the strongest it’s ever been and we just hit a six-year high for retention. Seton Hall is rising, and I look forward to helping shepherd my alma mater into an even brighter future."

Mr. D’Alessandro succeeds Kevin H. Marino, Esq. ′84, who served as Chair since December 2019, providing distinguished leadership to the University throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond. He previously served on Seton Hall Law School’s Board of Visitors and was honored by the Board of Regents with an honorary degree from Seton Hall Law in 2021. Mr. Marino and his wife, Rita Marino, M.A.E. ′94, are also generous benefactors who donated $1 million to establish an endowed professorship at the Seton Hall University School of Law.

"We were blessed to have the stewardship of Kevin H. Marino, and are blessed again to now have Hank D’Alessandro at the helm as we navigate this critical time in the history of our University," said Interim President Katia Passerini. "We stand at the successful culmination of our strategic plan; on the verge of Middle States reaccreditation; at the beginning of our quest to further invigorate our endowment so we may provide an even greater bounty of student scholarships and faculty opportunities; and at the onset of our search for the next president of Seton Hall. Hank D’Alessandro will lead us as Chair of the Board of Regents through it all – and I greatly look forward to having the counsel of his vast experience and expertise."

A resident of Maplewood, New Jersey, Mr. D’Alessandro and his wife, Colleen, have four children: Henry ′21, Nicholas ′21/M.S. ′22, Catherine, and Grace.

I have been absolutely blessed to count Hank as one of my very best friends. I got to meet Hank on a Booster Club trip many years ago at Providence when he came to our post game victory party and was introduced to me by none other than SnakeTom. Who knew that night that was going to be the beginning of a great friendship.

You can read Hank's bio above to see what an accomplished alum he is, but what many don't know is his contributions to SHU behind the scenes. You will never read about them because Hank is an incredibly modest individual and does not want what he does for Seton Hall published. But trust me few have done more for the school and all without fanfare.

HallDan introduced me to Hank at a Booster Club trip in Charleston South Carolina many years ago. Very thankful to have him as chairman. He bleeds Pirate Blue.

Friday, October 6th, 2023

By University Relations

The Board of Regents elected Henry (Hank) F. D’Alessandro ′85 to serve as its next Chair. He officially began his term at the start of the new fiscal year, succeeding Chair Kevin H. Marino, Esq. ′84.

Mr. D’Alessandro is managing director of Morgan Stanley and is vice chairman of Morgan Stanley’s North America Private Credit business, where he serves on the Investment Committee and is a senior advisor of the Credit Partners opportunistic credit strategy. He serves on several other Investment Committees spanning global corporate and real estate investment strategies. He is a member of Morgan Stanley’s Private Credit and Equity Executive Committee.

Mr. D’Alessandro has more than 31 years of private credit investing and leveraged finance experience. Prior to his current role, Mr. D’Alessandro was vice chairman of North American Leveraged and Acquisition Finance and head of U.S. Financial Sponsor Leveraged Finance at Morgan Stanley. Before joining Morgan Stanley, he was a vice president at Chase Securities, Inc. and an audit manager at KPMG Peat Marwick.

Mr. D’Alessandro earned a B.S., magna cum laude, in accounting from Seton Hall and an M.B.A. from Cornell University’s S.C. Johnson School of Graduate Management. He has served on the Board of Regents in various capacities since 2008, most recently as vice chair since 2020. Mr. D’Alessandro is a member of the Board of Trustees of Seton Hall University and Oak Knoll School of the Holy Child. He is a member of the Board of Directors of Strata Worldwide and the New York Men’s Leadership Forum.

"I am honored to serve Seton Hall as Chair of the Board of Regents," Mr. D’Alessandro said. "I know firsthand the power of a Seton Hall education and the value of Seton Hall’s Catholic educational mission – a power and a value that has risen dramatically under the University’s consummate leadership over the last decade and, in particular, through the leadership of Kevin H. Marino, who preceded me in this role."

He continued, "Amidst a national decline in collegiate enrollment of more than 15 percent over the last 10 years, Seton Hall’s enrollment has grown by 19 percent while increasing its academic profile and substantially growing its scholarship budget to ensure its identity as a university of opportunity that fosters the next generation of great minds."

He concluded, "Our graduates’ employment rate is 98.5 percent and independent research shows we rank in the top 10 percent nationally for return on investment. Last year, in U.S. News and World Report, our Law School achieved its highest rank ever; our endowment is the strongest it’s ever been and we just hit a six-year high for retention. Seton Hall is rising, and I look forward to helping shepherd my alma mater into an even brighter future."

Mr. D’Alessandro succeeds Kevin H. Marino, Esq. ′84, who served as Chair since December 2019, providing distinguished leadership to the University throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond. He previously served on Seton Hall Law School’s Board of Visitors and was honored by the Board of Regents with an honorary degree from Seton Hall Law in 2021. Mr. Marino and his wife, Rita Marino, M.A.E. ′94, are also generous benefactors who donated $1 million to establish an endowed professorship at the Seton Hall University School of Law.

"We were blessed to have the stewardship of Kevin H. Marino, and are blessed again to now have Hank D’Alessandro at the helm as we navigate this critical time in the history of our University," said Interim President Katia Passerini. "We stand at the successful culmination of our strategic plan; on the verge of Middle States reaccreditation; at the beginning of our quest to further invigorate our endowment so we may provide an even greater bounty of student scholarships and faculty opportunities; and at the onset of our search for the next president of Seton Hall. Hank D’Alessandro will lead us as Chair of the Board of Regents through it all – and I greatly look forward to having the counsel of his vast experience and expertise."

A resident of Maplewood, New Jersey, Mr. D’Alessandro and his wife, Colleen, have four children: Henry ′21, Nicholas ′21/M.S. ′22, Catherine, and Grace.
A welcome development. Wish it had happened earlier.

Well-deserved Hank.
I still have vivid memories of hanging with him in Seattle in 89(and a picture not for public eyes) . Also had the pleasure of working with him on borrowing for my organization, and while we went elsewhere (to another SHU Board member), Hank was professional all the way.
Hank Bleeds SHU in everything he does and is a fine representative of our Alma Mater.
HZF

I've known Hank for more than 30 years now. Back then he sat with Pir8tes and the other commoners. Lol.

You would be hard pressed to find a better representative for Seton Hall than he is. Congratulations to him.
Congrats Hank and thank you thank you!!!

(I didnt know the late great Pir8tes other than from the board. Never met Hank. Friend of Pir8tes...good enough for me!)

BTW, at the ground breaking for the Practice Facility Saturday on campus, Hank will be one of the speakers. Great chance for anyone here to walk up to him, shake his hand and just say hi. A great guy that you'll never hear anyone speak ill of.

Reactions: garyshu71
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT