ADVERTISEMENT

Holloway Postgame

Piratz

All Universe
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2004
Sha said it straightforward: He thought his guys were complacent leading up to the game and ready for the holiday break. Xavier was desperate after getting blown out. Said he tried to address it but this is what happens.

Or maybe the team flew out to Missouri and back. Played an A+ emotional game 3 days later. The flew out to X to play 3 days after that. With no bench. Came back to trail by one and then had little left.

Lol. We have so many professional excuse writers on this board. This is big boy basketball, yet some love to toss around the excuses.

This is a mediocre team at best. UConn game looked great but was a fluke. Are they as bad as they played today? Probably not, but they're not good enough to be favored on the road in this kind of game either.

Reactions: Piratz
Seems to be a theme in this program. 2018 team the most glaring example.
exactly. Been that way since Barrett left. But yes 2018 was by far the worst. Always thought it was stupid with the talk about our coaches pregame speeches. Pregame speech isn’t changing anyone’s approach

exactly. Been that way since Barrett left. But yes 2018 was by far the worst. Always thought it was stupid with the talk about our coaches pregame speeches. Pregame speech isn’t changing anyone’s approach

Neither is a road loss in December.

Lol. We have so many professional excuse writers on this board. This is big boy basketball, yet some love to toss around the excuses.

This is a mediocre team at best. UConn game looked great but was a fluke. Are they as bad as they played today? Probably not, but they're not good enough to be favored on the road in this kind of game either.

Exactly! Butler had 3 planes break on them. 3 flights cancelled. They flew out on 3 separate planes this morning and landed in Rhode Island 2 1/2 hours before tip and took Providence to overtime today.

Reactions: LBP43
What excuses. He's got 7 players on the roster with BE talent. Team is gassed physically & mentally. Doesn't bode well for late Feb. - March but it's his roster.

Reactions: Bluebeard
I agree with Carino that this was a trap game. But this team reverted to the way they have played against every P5 team this year except UConn and Missouri. There are no more Wagners, Monmouths or Northeasterns on the schedule any longer. I think 09 might be right the UConn game was smoke and mirrors.

I agree with Carino that this was a trap game. But this team reverted to the way they have played against every P5 team this year except UConn. There are no more Wagner, Monmouth or Northeastern on the schedule any longer. I think 09 might be right the UConn game was smoke and mirrors.
I don’t agree on the “trap game” part. This team isn’t good enough to have a “trap game” or think any high major game (at the very least) is a trap. We play 5 upper/upper upper classmen the overwhelming majority of minutes every game.

Agreed 23. We return 4 BE starters from last year. X has one plus 2 frosh in the starting lineup. This does not bode well. The score swelled to double digits in the 2nd half as soon as Kadary & Wusu were subbed out & we never recovered.

I don’t agree on the “trap game” part. This team isn’t good enough to have a “trap game” or think any high major game (at the very least) is a trap. We play 5 upper/upper upper classmen the overwhelming majority of minutes every game.
Trap game!?? Such BS . By now they’ve got to know they aren’t that good and need to play hard every night to just not get embarrassed. Jerry ,,give me a break!!!

They were not favored on the road. I didn't expect them to lose like they did, so need to regroup as I'm sure they will.

This is a very good team with good enough players to beat UConn on a given night. We need more from the bench. They will regroup and win many more games.

Just as you can't live and die by the 3, can't live and die by the drive. We now have 2 stars who have discovered the mid-range jumper. Now we need to get AL and Stacks some clean open looks from 3. Xavier guards penetrated and moved the ball well enough to find the shooters for good looks.

The point is I said they are NOT good enough to be favored on the road in this type of game. Many posters seemingly thought they should have been favored and thought Seton Hall is a better team than Xavier, which isn't true.

When you play a better team on the road in conference, you are expected to lose. If you think Seton Hall is a "very good team," I question your basketball judgement. Seton Hall, at best, is mediocre.

lots of highs and immediate lows in college basketball this year so far. were 1-1, let's freak out after a few more games are in the books. generally i still think this team has a low bar so we shouldn't expect too much.

Reactions: shu67 and Piratz
Sha said it straightforward: He thought his guys were complacent leading up to the game and ready for the holiday break. Xavier was desperate after getting blown out. Said he tried to address it but this is what happens.
AKA players that think they’re a lot better than they are…. Goes for every single starter. And it’s obvious with the way the play 90% of the time. A bunch of square pegs going thru a round hole, in more ways than one…

Reactions: shu67
I never expected a Holloway coached team to take so many nights off!!! Conversely, I thought playing hard every night would be a trademark.
Idk some coaches just always say the same things though. This is now Year 2 for Sha and we’ve heard this point constantly when we lose.

Willard would always point to external circumstances, Holloway always points to guys’ effort.

Idk some coaches just always say the same things though. This is now Year 2 for Sha and we’ve heard this point constantly when we lose.

Willard would always point to external circumstances, Holloway always points to guys’ effort.
He doesn’t have to tell us his team is inconsistent with the effort. It’s as plain as dogs balls to anyone paying attention.

They were not favored on the road. I didn't expect them to lose like they did, so need to regroup as I'm sure they will.

This is a very good team with good enough players to beat UConn on a given night. We need more from the bench. They will regroup and win many more games.

Just as you can't live and die by the 3, can't live and die by the drive. We now have 2 stars who have discovered the mid-range jumper. Now we need to get AL and Stacks some clean open looks from 3. Xavier guards penetrated and moved the ball well enough to find the shooters for good looks.
LOL, Rutgers doesn’t beat very good teams on the road. Overall nothing so far for this team says very good.

The thing is external circumstances matter even if people tend to ignore them.

Travel is an issue. Roughly 3,000 miles in a week is a good bit and it was split into two trips. UConn's 5,500 mile round trip to Spokane probably factored into their performance against us -- and they weren't great from what I saw against SJU. They look like they need a break.

Xavier needed this game and played like it. We played like a team that was a bit fried mentally and physically and was looking forward to Christmas break. It happens and it will happen again this season.

Xavier had 4 men in the paint on our drives. We continued to drive to the hoop with 4 defenders in the lane. Not a recipe for success. No changes / no offensive sets were run
We missed a lot of easy baskets and put backs underneath but our biggest problem is that we have nobody that can shoot the ball . It is painful to watch a team that does not have one player you can rely on to hit a jumper consistently .

I see a significant drop off after the starters. The bench isn't giving us much at all and the five starters can't play 35+ mins. What are the bench stats in the P6 games this year? On top of the stats, how do they look on D. That's the glaring difference to me.

Agreed 23. We return 4 BE starters from last year. X has one plus 2 frosh in the starting lineup. This does not bode well. The score swelled to double digits in the 2nd half as soon as Kadary & Wusu were subbed out & we never recovered.
Yep we were playing well, Sha tried to get them both a bit of an extended blow going into 12 minute time out and lead swelled in about 90 seconds.

Dawes had that deep stepback two that made it 43-42. Richmond had tie-up on the next possession, arrow favored Xavier with just under 13 minutes left That's when Coleman and Sanders replaced Richmond and Addae-Wusu.

Xavier airmails a runnder that plays like an alley-oop to Ousame. Then Ousame hits a hook backing down Davis, comes back and blocks Davis on what looked like an open layup, then X bombs a 3.

50-42 in 1:30 before Sha calls a TO. Puts in Richmond for Dawes but keeps Coleman and Sanders in. And Sha was 100% right that we weren't guarding anyone. Xavier was getting into the lane at will. That defensive intensity from Wednesday wasn't there.

In 3 game minutes SHU allowed a 14-0 run.

We missed a lot of easy baskets and put backs underneath but our biggest problem is that we have nobody that can shoot the ball . It is painful to watch a team that does not have one player you can rely on to hit a jumper consistently .
Bingo. We can’t shoot. We had a good night against UConn. If we don’t consistently shoot better then we are in trouble.

We did a good job finishing at the rim against Connecticut. Uhh, not so much yesterday. We shot a season-worst .377 from 2PT range after .542 against the Huskies. Our season average is .526.

And it's not like we weren't getting looks. Disappointing.

We did a good job finishing at the rim against Connecticut. Uhh, not so much yesterday. We shot a season-worst .377 from 2PT range after .542 against the Huskies. Our season average is .526.

And it's not like we weren't getting looks. Disappointing.
Xavier, aware that we cannot shoot, packed the lane. That's why we had so much trouble finishing. Connecticut did not. Xavier also managed to cover our perimeter shooters tightly all game.

Every opponent is going to do what Xavier did. We better have a plan to overcome this, otherwise it's going to be a debacle of a season.

Holloway made no adjustments then blamed the team, which was apparently tired.

Reactions: Seton00 and LBP43
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT