ADVERTISEMENT

Holloway Postgame

Xavier is a good defensive team. So is UCONN. They're not the first who have tried to slow us that way. But we were very passive. Not nearly the down hill, smart play from the previous games.

And yet ANOTHER game down early.

Xavier had 4 men in the paint on our drives. We continued to drive to the hoop with 4 defenders in the lane. Not a recipe for success. No changes / no offensive sets were run
When you cannot make shots from the outside, what do you expect?? Guaranteed that EVERY team will now pack the inside and DARE the team to shoot from deep. Easy scouting report----

When you cannot make shots from the outside, what do you expect?? Guaranteed that EVERY team will now pack the inside and DARE the team to shoot from deep. Easy scouting report----
We don't have to shoot from deep.
Richmond should be burying the mid range jumper from beginning of game.

Dawes from 2
Wusu from 2

Davis the back to basket j when it is proper matchup.

It will open driving lanes and the occasional 3.

Give Sanders a few looks. 3 point shooter who’s taken 2 attempts in the last 3 games. Don’t tell me it’s because he’s a liability on defense when our starters let McKnight and Olivari run free all game

Whether it’s talent, coaching, travel, or any other explanation, if this team doesn’t learn how to shoot this season will amount to nothing.

Mind boggling how terrible they have been.

Reactions: SHURich
If the starters were gassed why not give more time to Brown and Sanders??

It wasnt juat shooting, it was shot selection esp in fhe 1st half. Those off balance flings at the hoop by kadary, everett, jaden. U dont have a clean shot so give it up. Wtf were.they trying to do?

Team fought back to a two point game halfway through the second half, had a few bad defensive possessions, lead goes to double digits and they had nothing left for another run.

Reactions: LBP43
It wasnt juat shooting, it was shot selection esp in fhe 1st half. Those off balance flings at the hoop by kadary, everett, jaden. U dont have a clean shot so give it up. Wtf were.they trying to do?
Much of our offense is simply guys making shots off one-on-one play or putting back a rebound under the bucket. There will be games where they fall because we have a few guys who can make shots.

Reactions: HALL85
What worries me is we lose the same way every time. Lethargic starts fall behind double digits. Charge back to cut it to one possession or two and then fade at the end..
Only way to fix this is change up the lineups..

Reactions: doctorcb12
What worries me is we lose the same way every time. Lethargic starts fall behind double digits. Charge back to cut it to one possession or two and then fade at the end..
Only way to fix this is change up the lineups..
Coleman had a terribly poor game yesterday if that is what you had in mind. I don't get who we think should be starting other than this five. Coleman is a nice player and very athletic, but at this stage of his career, his shot is erratic, his defensive IQ is poor and he does not give the rebounding he provided in OOC schedule. He is getting sufficient minutes that will increase if he is playing well.

I would like to see Brown have some run.

Frankly, our Turkish big fights hard when he plays.

NgaNga situation is disappointing. He can't get a sniff of the floor.

Reactions: SOpirate
Coleman had a tremendously poor game yesterday if that is what you had in mind. I don't get who we think should be starting other than this five. Coleman is a nice player and very athletic, but at this stage of his career, his shot is erratic, his defensive IQ is poor and he does not give the rebounding he provided in OOC schedule. He is getting sufficient minutes that will increase if he is playing well.

I would like to see Brown her some run.

Frankly, our Turkish big fights hard when he plays.

NgaNga situation is disappointing. He can't get a sniff of the floor.
Your right the options are limited there . Maybe Coleman for dae wusu see what happens first few minutes. Can it be any worse?

Coleman is certainly a player we want to develop for the future, but as hallwins pointed out his defensive IQ is nowhere near where it needs to be for him to be a starter.

Several times yesterday he vacated his spot guarding Oliveri to cover someone else and left him wide open to drain a 3. Coleman will no doubt learn from mistakes like that, but at this point he hasn’t shown that he can be trusted to play significant minutes in the Big East.

We did a good job finishing at the rim against Connecticut. Uhh, not so much yesterday. We shot a season-worst .377 from 2PT range after .542 against the Huskies. Our season average is .526.

And it's not like we weren't getting looks. Disappointing.
A lot of this had to do with X.

Can be a alot worse in my opinion. Wusu is only player that consistently brings energy
Coleman is certainly a player we want to develop for the future, but as hallwins pointed out his defensive IQ is nowhere near where it needs to be for him to be a starter.

Several times yesterday he vacated his spot guarding Oliveri to cover someone else and left him wide open to drain a 3. Coleman will no doubt learn from mistakes like that, but at this point he hasn’t shown that he can be trusted to play significant minutes in the Big East.
He's got to be coached not to make those mistakes..

I doubt the coaching plan was for Coleman to leave the best shooter on the floor.

The talk of Coleman starting should be put to rest. Forget that he's not quite there defensively, he's giving us almost zero production against P6 opponents.

In seven games, he has 21 points (3 per), 13 rebounds (1.9) and he's shooting 8-24 (33.3%) from the floor, 1-6 (16.7%) from three and 4-10 (40%) from the foul line in 16.7 mpg. He's scored more than three points in one of those seven games.

Take away the SD trip and he's scored 11 points in five games on 4-13 shooting 0-3 from distance and 3-8 from the line in 15 mpg.

I like Coleman and I think he can be a player but he's not made the case for more minutes. There's a real delicate balance between winning games and trying to develop players for the future.

As it is, this is in essence a five-man team with three bench guys taking up space and eating some minutes when they're on the floor.

Reactions: SOpirate
I think Coleman will only improve as BE season wears on; it is too early and he is too young to be talking about his "defensive IQ." Hope I'm wrong about Saunders, but he appears one-dimensional. Brown, NgaNga, and Ozdogan seem to be almost walk-on status. I really hope NgaNga blossoms, but what about his 2.0 ppg at Boise State appealed to our Big East coaching staff?

Davis is very talented offensively, but he forces a lot of shots. Reminder of senior-year Powell in that area. His overall bb IQ is not impressive.

The talk of Coleman starting should be put to rest. Forget that he's not quite there defensively, he's giving us almost zero production against P6 opponents.

In seven games, he has 21 points (3 per), 13 rebounds (1.9) and he's shooting 8-24 (33.3%) from the floor, 1-6 (16.7%) from three and 4-10 (40%) from the foul line in 16.7 mpg. He's scored more than three points in one of those seven games.

Take away the SD trip and he's scored 11 points in five games on 4-13 shooting 0-3 from distance and 3-8 from the line in 15 mpg.

I like Coleman and I think he can be a player but he's not made the case for more minutes. There's a real delicate balance between winning games and trying to develop players for the future.

As it is, this is in essence a five-man team with three bench guys taking up space and eating some minutes when they're on the floor.
Why would it stop when Dawes goes 2-9 shooting with 4 points and horrible defense? Effectively equivalent to Coleman in 5/7 games against high level teams

Reactions: catholicman
I thought the driving to the lane was encouraging, but there isn’t a single player on the team that considers kicking it out when the look isn’t there. Once Bediako gets it, or a wing drives in, that player is shooting 96% of the time.

This game we went back to trophies for throwing the ball at the rim, not actually taking a makable shot.

...Several times yesterday he vacated his spot guarding Oliveri to cover someone else and left him wide open to drain a 3...
Yes, that was brutal. Whenever we do that it reminds of a game when orr was coach. ND had a 6'5 sharpshooter. John allen left him to help low and he hit a corner jumper to beat us.

The game was 43-42 with 13 minutes left. We then got outscored 32-11. Yikes. Holloway went right after them in the postgame. He didn’t talk about the schedule he talked about mindset.
Richmond needed a break, but this was the absolute wrong time to do it. Can you imagine Jay Wright yanking Arch or Brunson at this moment?

I get that the team is wildly inconsistent, and who knows what would have happened if he was left in, but taking out your best player at that juncture was ill-advised. Was it a momentum killer technique he learned from Willard? Glad to see the hockey team substitutions are a thing of the past.

Richmond needed a break, but this was the absolute wrong time to do it. Can you imagine Jay Wright yanking Arch or Brunson at this moment?

I get that the team is wildly inconsistent, and who knows what would have happened if he was left in, but taking out your best player at that juncture was ill-advised. Was it a momentum killer technique he learned from Willard? Glad to see the hockey team substitutions are a thing of the past.
Are you suggesting Brunson and Arch played all 20 second half minutes in tight games? Wright never gave them a breather in a close game? Of course he did. Also helps he had Phil Booth coming off the bench. But most guys get a breather every game in the second half, even in a tight game.

Reactions: silkcitypirate

Yeah that’s a tough call. In retrospect with us making a comeback I might have opted to keep him in. Maybe have Dawes bring the ball up to give him a blow. Bigger mistake was bringing in Coleman and Sanders in at the same time. Both not stellar defenders and struggling against top competition. Had no firepower to keep pace when Xavier went on that run.

Are you suggesting Brunson and Arch played all 20 second half minutes in tight games? Wright never gave them a breather in a close game? Of course he did. Also helps he had Phil Booth coming off the bench. But most guys get a breather every game in the second half, even in a tight game.
Not at that juncture- absolutely no way. Momentum killer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT