ADVERTISEMENT

How it used to be done

As a Yankee fan, I hope his on field performance continues and that as pressure mounts, he can remain a humble team first performer. I remember Maris losing clumps of hair as the stress associated with approaching Ruth's record increased. That was before WFAN, ESPN, YES Network and cell phone videos had every movement under scrutiny.

Maris was a very introverted person. Plus as hard as this is to be believed he actually had most Yankee fans rooting against him because Mickey Mantle was going neck and neck against him in the HR race until late in the season when Mantle went down with a serious injury.

From that point on the Yankee fans began to root for Maris.

Given a sufficient number of guesses, Giancarlo Stanton would be my answer for a guy who hits long home runs. Wladimir Balentien? I could guess for awhile before I came up with that name.

Depending who you believe MLB or ESPN, Stanton hit a HR 503 feet in the thin air of Colorado. That's how MLB measured it. ESPN measure the homer at 495 feet.

Regardless that distance is just ridiculous.

The improvement Judge has made at the plate from last year is remarkable. To me, almost as impressive as the tape measure HR were the 2-strike double, the opposite field single and the 400-ft laser beam opposite field HR yesterday. 4-4, 2 HRs and a walk. His plate discipline and willingness to take what the pitcher gives him coupled with his humongous strength and ability are staggering.

Judge, Sanchez and the whole Yankees team right now are must-watch TV - putting on a show.

What seems to have been forgotten in this discussion about the distance and exit velocity of Judge's home runs is that he is a very good defensive outfielder, has a gun for an arm, a very smart base runner and a player with a high baseball IQ. What also stands out for me is that he appears to be highly coachable and that's reinforced by the adjustments he's made from last season.

Judge had always had the character, great attitude and defensive tools so while very impressive, I expected that. His improvement at the plate has come so quickly and exponentially, it's a testament to his hard work and coaching in the offseason. He's never hit more than 21 HRs in the minors or hit for high average. His ability to change his swing, his approach and cut down his strikeouts at his size and age s amazing.

The improvement Judge has made at the plate from last year is remarkable. To me, almost as impressive as the tape measure HR were the 2-strike double, the opposite field single and the 400-ft laser beam opposite field HR yesterday. 4-4, 2 HRs and a walk. His plate discipline and willingness to take what the pitcher gives him coupled with his humongous strength and ability are staggering.

Judge, Sanchez and the whole Yankees team right now are must-watch TV - putting on a show.
So true, it is a remarkable turn around in performance with Judge. The guy is leading the league for average. When last summer he struck out 50% of the time. Whoever helped him with his adjustments at the plate, should be given a big raise. Judge was always going to hit HRs. But it is his ability to have consistent contact with the ball which is mind boggling.

Heard on TV last night when he puts the ball in play his batting ave is a staggering .440 or so.

A throwback to players of a far different era. Humility and respect for the opponent.

Derek Jeter clone with monstrous power.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...-blast-left-field-bleachers-article-1.3238999
The comparison to Jeter is a good one. Kid seems to have a humble attitude, works incredibly hard and the game is fun for him (with those numbers who wouldn't be having fun). Has triple crown numbers at this point too....crazy stuff. Even if you don't watch a whole game, you make sure you watch his at-bats.

Hope it continues and he has a great career...but will be tough to match Jeter's records for dating super models....

Last night was another example of how far he has come in a short time and how he doesn't let mistakes or failure bother him.

Looked like he wasn't seeing the ball well off the Angel starter and struck out badly his first 2 ABs. Battled him his 3rd time up for a walk and scored a run.

Opposite field single his 4th time up and scored a run. Then makes a throwing mistake in bottom of 7th allowing tying run to move to 2nd. LA ties it. Comes up next inning and crushes an opposite-field 440-foot 2-run HR for 5-3 lead and the win.

He said in an interview he used to get down when falling behind in count or striking out but now he erases it and concentrates on next pitch. He struck 50% of his ABs last year and now he hits an impressive .274 and league-best 9 HRs with 2-strikes. Everything he's doing is amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT